What do butterfly enthusiasts do during the winter months?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What do butterfly enthusiasts do during the winter months?

Post by Padfield »

eccles wrote:Even vegans have to kill a lettuce. :)
I know that was intended light-heartedly, but I shall rise to the bait and respond inappropriately seriously because the subject is too important to me to drop!

As a vegan of 25 years, I can assure you my philosophy is not based on some kind of head-in-the-clouds aversion to death, or even killing, but is all about life, respect for life and quality of life. The kind of respect owed to a chicken is manifestly different from the kind of respect owed to a lettuce (as anyone who has met and interacted with chickens and lettuces must surely attest) and the intensive farming of chickens is many orders of magnitude more heinous than the intensive farming of lettuces (though even that can be environmentally damaging in various ways). Killing is quite simply not the issue.

If you buy a piece of meat in a shop, you don't sponsor death (contrary to what a lot of vegetarians say) but life - because the animal only existed in the first place because of the market in its meat. To buy the free-range meat of an animal that lived a meaningful life is to sponsor a good life. To buy the meat (or eggs) of an industrially farmed battery animal is to sponsor a miserable life. To preserve a countryside in which it is possible for people sustainably to shoot their own animals in the wild is to support and affirm life at its most meaningful.

So, as a vegan, I say three cheers for Felix. Bizarre.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

I say three cheers for Felix as well. I do hope though, Guy, that you buy organic veg.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Susie wrote:The heading says it all - what do you do to get you through til spring?
I search these ...
p1.jpg
p1.jpg (32.47 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
in order to try and find these ...
p2.jpg
p2.jpg (44.21 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Susie

Post by Susie »

Wow! Amazing photos, Pete! :mrgreen: Are they purple hairstreak eggs on oak buds or something else?

I've tried to take photos of the brown hairstreak eggs on the blackthorn here but even with my macro I just cannot get a good picture. :?
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Yep - Purple Hairstreak on Oak buds ... or, "Quercus on quercus" :)

Cheers,

- Pete
NickB

Post by NickB »

Me? Already booked up with my mate for off-road biking up the "East Anglian Heights" most Saturdays! Also some management of my local (mature) Cemetery; that is, keep the "tidy-brigade", who think that mown-grass looks nice, at bay and remind them that it doesn't do much for the wildlife...! It's a slow business though!
And I do landscapes; East Anglia is the land of "Big Sky"; wide-angle essential! Lots of water too!
And some short walks around the locality and sometimes drive to the coast....
Holkham_Beach hut.jpg
Holkham_Beach hut.jpg (45.63 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Would like to do more wildlife and birds - but need a better telephoto prime lens (ah - that's another thing to do in the winter - buy some more glass!)
N
BTW Pete - great pictures! Patience needed..
Last edited by NickB on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

There's a UKB meet next Saturday if anyone is up for that. My target is Lulworth Skipper larvae :)

See http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... f=3&t=2635

Cheers,

- Pete
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

A bit of this:
Image Followed by as much of this:
Image as my wife can afford :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Lucky Tone. :D
Martin

Post by Martin »

Play with my car...

and try earn a bit from photography (this December I'm off to Dubai to take pictures of the FIA GT races...pictures from Silverstone and Monza on my website)

Martin.

PS - did I tell you I like cars? :D
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Yes.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Martin wrote:
Nice bougainvillea :wink:
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

bougainvillea
a whaty? :?
Susie

Post by Susie »

The purple plant.
Denise

Post by Denise »

I'm as thick as two short planks. I've only just made the connection between VGGTO and Martin :oops:
Denise
Annie

Post by Annie »

Nice M12 Martin, at last a personal plate that's applicable to the car it's on! We do tyres on a local M10 and when it's parked in our yard it attracts more attention from passers-by than any other sports/performance/classic that ever comes in (though I don't think the M10 is anywhere near as attractive as the M12 and if I remember rightly was only available in a 2.5l?).
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

23_11_55 o.gif
23_11_55 o.gif (26.31 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
Annie stop!

Gruditch
Annie

Post by Annie »

yeah Gruditch, i suppose you're right, but i am a bit of an anorak; in fact i'm not just any anorak, i'm a blue anorak with orange lining, a furry hood and mittens sewn into the arms ;) ;)
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Actually I thought the tarmac road was rather nice too. In fact, i just looked at Tarmacs webpage and found this - so when the wintermonths set in I can nip down the pub in amaze friends with these really useful facts...

Tarmac was established in 1903. It was the start of a new century. The Boer War raged, Queen Victoria's long rein had just ended and the civilised world was starting to feel the effects of the new age of the motor car. The search was on for a material that would create better road surfaces. . .

As if by chance, on a road near Denby ironworks in Derbyshire in 1901, the county surveyor of Nottingham - Edgar Purnell Hooley noticed a barrel of tar had fallen from a dray and burst open. To avoid a nuisance, someone from the ironworks had thoughtfully covered the sticky black mess with waste slag from nearby furnaces. . . and the world's first tarmacadam surface was born by accident!

Hooley noticed that the patch of road, which had been unintentionally re-surfaced, was dust-free and hadn't been rutted by traffic. So he set to work and by the following year, 1902, Hooley obtained a British patent for a method of mixing slag with tar, naming the material Tarmac.

By June 1903, Hooley formed the TarMacadam Syndicate Limited, the origin of what is now known as The Tarmac Group, the UK's leading supplier of building materials.

Fact file:
- The TarMacadam Syndicate was formed on 17 June 1903 with a nominal capital of 25,000
- The name of company changed to Tarmac Ltd on 26 May 1905 and Sir Alfred Hickman, MP for Wolverhampton, became chairman
- In 1925 - 1926 the road fund report showed that 190 miles of arterial roads had been completed including the Kingston by pass - the first dual carriageway of its kind
- In 1930 machines were gradually being introduced into quarries, replacing jobs that were previously done by hand. Excavators were used to load stone into steam trains
- The method of delivering tarmac changed from railways to roads and in 1935 the company switched from the classic but cumbersome Sentinel Steam Wagons to lighter motor lorries
- When the tide of World War II turned Tarmac was asked to complete a special rush job, widening and strengthening miles of roads in the south of England ready to carry D-Days invasion traffic to the coast
- In 1956 Tarmac won a most significant contract to surface the eight mile long Preston Bypass, which later became the M6 Motorway - the first motorway to be built in Britain
- Tarmac built the Thames barrier in conjunction with Costain and Hollandsche Beton Maatschappij. It was opened by the Queen in 1984.
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Mark have you been on Wikipedia again? :lol:
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

You asked what I do in winter months - I'm babysitting whilst my wife is at work so I've a choice - Wiki or Wash-up, Ironing, tidy-up. Hmmmmm - I suppose I'd better think of something else less boring instead to do - hang on - wasn't that the saying from that BBC kids show - 'Why Don't You...' hang on i'll Wiki it...

...Wow - 'Why Don't You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go and Do Something Less Boring Instead?' was a BBC children's television series broadcast in 42 series between 20 August 1973 and 21 April 1995. It went out on weekday mornings during the school holidays. The format consisted of gangs of children performing suggestions from viewers who wrote in to the show. Typically these were arts-and-crafts activities involving cutting up paper, or games and magic tricks children could learn to impress their friends. It was produced by Russell T Davies - the producer of the current Dr Who Series. Where was I? Oh yes washing up!

Return to “General”