Mega Big Moth I.D

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Devon Dave

Mega Big Moth I.D

Post by Devon Dave »

Out strolling along the Devon coast paths today in search of Clouded Yellows ,although very warm pleasant but none to be seen. In fact for the perfect butterfly conditions very few were flying at all, which was unusual and a little disappointing. However whilst stopping to admire the costal views I suddenly noticed a strange large object basking in the sun on a nearby fence post. For a moment I thought it was a tiny Bat ,but on approaching it I realized it was a Mega big Moth, the like and size of which I have never witnessed before. It was really huge for a moth as you can judge from my photos, it is near the base of the post my wife is standing by, looking at it so I put my hand by it for a size comparison.
I know some of the common Day flying moths but no idea on this beast, any I.D thoughts welcome.
Attachments
DSCN1836 (2).JPG
DSCN1837 (2).JPG
DSCN1831 (2).JPG
bugboy

Re: Mega Big Moth I.D

Post by bugboy »

Privet Hawk-moth.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Helluva find, Dave. The biggest hawk moth in Britain and one I rarely see even in France.

Lovely creature. :mrgreen:
Matthew Pierce

Post by Matthew Pierce »

An impressive find Dave. I had a very similar experience this time last year - I spotted two privet hawk moths sitting on a wooden post just like yours were. When I saw the first one I thought it was a mouse or something.

Cheers,

Matthew

Return to “Identification”