Kefalonia 15th -22nd May

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Stevieb

Kefalonia 15th -22nd May

Post by Stevieb »

Two years in the waiting, thanks to Covid, we eventually managed to get away for a week to Kefalonia, the largest of the Ionian islands.

Renowned for its green mountains, beautiful beaches and azure blue waters of the Ionian Sea it ticked all the right boxes for my wife, and if she’s happy then so am I.

We stayed in the south of the island in the small fishing village of Katelios which was very pleasant and quiet. We also hired a car for a few days to explore more of the island including visiting the capitol Argostoli to see the Loggerhead Turtles that frequent the harbour there.

Butterflies are not especially at a premium on Kefalonia but it did afford me the opportunity to get out and about in some Mediterranean sun and explore the local patch in the hope of connecting with a few lifers.

In the end I managed to find 30 species of butterfly of which 12 were lifers.( 11 of which I managed to photo, only failing on a couple of flyby Two-tailed Pashas).

After arriving, a quick unpack and off for an exploration of the fields and tracks adjacent to the hotel. This short walk produced large numbers of Clouded Yellows, including my first helice, but by far the most common butterfly was Meadow Brown. Small Copper also buzzed along the tracks along with a couple of Small Whites.
Field opposite the hotel
Field opposite the hotel
Track opposite the hotel
Track opposite the hotel
Clouded Yellow Helice
Clouded Yellow Helice
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown
The following morning I ventured further afield following tracks up onto the hills around Katelios.

At about 10am the morning had become sufficiently warm for butterflies to become active, and my first lifer was found, Eastern Dappled White. More species were duly noted including the omnipresent Meadow Browns and Clouded Yellows. A Painted Lady made an appearance and also Bath White and Wood White amongst others.
After a very enjoyable few hours it was back to the hotel for a shower, a quick change and off in the car to Skala for lunch.
Hillside habitat
Hillside habitat
Hillside habitat
Hillside habitat
Eastern Dappled White
Eastern Dappled White
Eastern Dappled White
Eastern Dappled White
Painted Lady
Painted Lady
Wood White
Wood White
Wood White
Wood White
Clouded Yellow
Clouded Yellow
Over the next few mornings I established a regular route around the fields, hills and tracks around Katelios which provided some excellent butterflies.

By far the most exciting being a stunning Black-veined White which was high on my wanted list prior to the trip. Absolutely gorgeous butterfly. I also encountered Cleopatras, Scarce Swallowtail, four species of Skipper, Chapman’s and Green Underside Blue, both lifers, Wall Brown and later in the week, Green Hairstreaks.
Black-veined White
Black-veined White
Black-veined White
Black-veined White
Chapman's Blue
Chapman's Blue
Male Cleopatra
Male Cleopatra
Female Cleopatra
Female Cleopatra
Male Cleopatra
Male Cleopatra
Orbed Red Underwing Skipper
Another butterfly high on my wanted list was Southern White Admiral.
Deciding to take the car further up into hills above Skala proved fruitful with one found immediately on parking up.
Southern White Admiral
Southern White Admiral
Southern White Admiral
Southern White Admiral
Southern White Admiral
Southern White Admiral
Back in the car and down to Mounda where I managed to connect with Eastern Rock Grayling along with Pigmy and Mediterranean Skippers and plenty of Eastern Dappled Whites.
Eastern Rock Grayling
Eastern Rock Grayling
Eastern Rock Grayling
Eastern Rock Grayling
My last day out was more of the same with Scarce Swallowtail and Mallow Skippers more to the fore.
Scarce Swallowtail
Scarce Swallowtail
Scarce Swallowtail
Scarce Swallowtail
Mallow Skipper
Mallow Skipper
In conclusion I had a thoroughly enjoyable time with beautiful weather, delicious food and gorgeous scenery and the butterflies weren’t too shabby either.

Regards Steve

Species List:

Scarce Swallowtail
Swallowtail
Lulworth Skipper
Mallow Skipper
Orbed Red Underwing Skipper (Lifer)
Pigmy Skipper (Lifer)
Mediterranean Skipper (Lifer)
Clouded Yellow
Brimstone
Cleopatra (Lifer)
Wood White
Bath White
Eastern Dappled White (Lifer)
Large White
Small White
Black-veined White (Lifer)
Small Copper
Green Hairstreak
Chapman’s Blue (Lifer)
Common Blue
Green Underside Blue (Lifer)
Holly Blue
Brown Argus
Two-tailed Pasha (Lifer)
Painted Lady
Southern White Admiral (Lifer)
Wall Brown
Eastern Rock Grayling (Lifer)
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
David M

Re: Kefalonia 15th -22nd May

Post by David M »

Glad you enjoyed your break, Steve, and it looks like the weather behaved itself for you!

Love the habitat shots as well as the butterflies. Well done for getting those open-wing images of the Clouded Yellow, Wood White & Cleopatra - no easy feat. :mrgreen:
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

David M wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:43 pm Glad you enjoyed your break, Steve, and it looks like the weather behaved itself for you!

Love the habitat shots as well as the butterflies. Well done for getting those open-wing images of the Clouded Yellow, Wood White & Cleopatra - no easy feat. :mrgreen:
Many thanks David. Only lost one day to weather. It was very windy Thursday, too windy for butterflies, so headed to Argostoli for the turtles
Loggerhead Turtle
Loggerhead Turtle
Loggerhead Turtle
Loggerhead Turtle
Going to Cyprus on 22 June so fingers crossed for an equally good week :)
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

Lovely photos.
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Lovely account & some fine shots.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

An impressive selection of upperside shots from species that rarely show them!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

aeshna5 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:31 am Lovely account & some fine shots.
bugboy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:18 am An impressive selection of upperside shots from species that rarely show them!
OwenE wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 pmLovely photos.
Thanks all

Steve
Kip

Post by Kip »

I think your Mallow Skipper looks much more like an Oriental Marbled Skipper C. orientalis :D :D :D
130521  C. orientalis  Peloponesse  w8770.jpg
More pics on http://ptkbutterflies.wixsite.com/photo-art - should you wish to look, I hope you like the site..
David M

Post by David M »

Stevieb wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:59 pmGoing to Cyprus on 22 June so fingers crossed for an equally good week
Keep your eyes peeled for Levantine Leopard!
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

David M wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:25 am
Stevieb wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:59 pmGoing to Cyprus on 22 June so fingers crossed for an equally good week
Keep your eyes peeled for Levantine Leopard!
My top target David. Eddie John has pointed me in the right direction (hopefully!)
Kip wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:54 pm I think your Mallow Skipper looks much more like an Oriental Marbled Skipper C. orientalis :D :D :D
130521 C. orientalis Peloponesse w8770.jpg
Thank you Kip
David M

Post by David M »

Stevieb wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:23 amMy top target David. Eddie John has pointed me in the right direction (hopefully!)
Good move. Eddie knows exactly where it is.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

My son, a pilot with easyJet, has been flying to / from Kefalonia recently.
I wonder if you noticed a welcome from "Captain Harrison''?

Jack
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Brilliant stuff Stevie. It's a destination I would like to do soon.

Your grayling is not eastern rock. I would say it is Hipparchia senthes, one of the southern grayling group. And I agree with Kip about your mallow skipper. The overall appearance screams oriental or tufted, and oriental is by far the most likely there (an underside would be conclusive).

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Jack Harrison wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:09 am My son, a pilot with easyJet, has been flying to / from Kefalonia recently.
I wonder if you noticed a welcome from "Captain Harrison''?

Jack
We flew with Tui Jack
Padfield wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:53 am Brilliant stuff Stevie. It's a destination I would like to do soon.

Your grayling is not eastern rock. I would say it is Hipparchia senthes, one of the southern grayling group. And I agree with Kip about your mallow skipper. The overall appearance screams oriental or tufted, and oriental is by far the most likely there (an underside would be conclusive).

Guy
I tried editing the report but failed miserably Guy

Return to “Overseas”