Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
SarahM

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by SarahM »

Hi Neil,

Your Speckled Woods are gorgeous, especially the one on Bluebells. :)

I'm :mrgreen: of your garden Holly Blues. I seem to only ever get one from the end of the second brood in my garden, when well past its best!

Sarah
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. Yes, she was a stunner. I kept a look out for her through the afternoon but she didn't return.

Thanks Sarah. I have been unusually lucky (for me) with Holly Blues this spring. Probably due to there being more of them about than the past few years when I have struggled to get any photos, let alone with their wings open.

Monday 9th May.

I had to pop out in the morning but after returning home and grabbing a quick sandwich for lunch I decided to wander down to my local spot by Wagon Lane Park to see what was about.
There was a high overcast that gradually thickened up through the afternoon and a stiff breeze but despite this it was feeling quite warm during the hour or so that I spent there.

Butterflies seen during my usual circuit included around a dozen Holly Blues, a high number for this site which usually only produces a couple each year. These mostly kept high up around the hedge lines although a couple did come lower down and settled briefly.
Holly Blue female - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Holly Blue female - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Holly Blue male - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Holly Blue male - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
A good number of whites were seen, five of which were definite Small and three confirmed to be Green-veined. The rest were too far away or too fast to be sure of their I.D.
Green-veined White female - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Green-veined White female - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Just two Orange-tips were spotted, one actively patrolling male and one female that did settle long enough for me to get a photo.
Orange-tip female - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Orange-tip female - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
A couple of male Speckled Wood were in their usual corners and a couple of females were also seen, including one that looked to be freshly emerged that day.
Speckled Wood female - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Speckled Wood female - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Small Tortoiseshells are still hanging on here with around half a dozen seen, mostly looking well worn and faded now but one or two weren’t in bad condition considering their age now.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
I also found my first Small Tortoiseshell larval webs for this year.
Small Tortoiseshell larvae - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Singles of Peacock and Comma were also still flying.
Peacock - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Peacock - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Comma - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
Comma - Wagon Lane 09.05.2022
These last three species gave it of a bit of an odd feeling of still being back in April although the hibernators do usually hang on well into May here, with some individuals sometimes lasting into early June.

Bye for now and stay safe,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Tuesday 10th May.

A very breezy day with a mixture of warm sun and big fluffy clouds that were blown across the sky at some speed by the wind.
After doing a few jobs through the day I sat down in the garden later in the afternoon to see what was about, or more accurately what was blown through.

The usual couple of male Speckled Wood were trying their best to chase things against the wind with varying success and a couple of Holly Blue came passing through.

A female Brimstone, quite possibly the same one from the other day, came in and fluttered around the Alder Buckthorns but every time she attempted to land and possibly lay an egg, she was blown about by the blustery wind. In the end she headed towards my patch of hybrid Spanish bluebells which is in a more sheltered spot and where she moved from flower to flower to feed.
Brimstone female - Coverdale 10.05.2022
These hybrid Bluebells have been here since we moved in, over 25 years ago, and if allowed to will spread all around the garden. I try to keep them restricted to certain spots but they do look nice and provide a useful nectar source to tempt some butterflies to linger a bit in the garden.

A little later, after the female Brimstone had departed, a male came over the fence and he too dropped down onto the Bluebells.
Brimstone male - Coverdale 10.05.2022
Brimstone male - Coverdale 10.05.2022
It has been raining here this morning since I got up at 07.00am and it is forecast to continue well into the afternoon so it looks like being a soggy day.

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely, crisp Brimstone images, Neil, and I'm envious of your Tortoiseshell, Comma and Peacock images. Precious few of those left round my way now. In fact, the summer brood Torties are probably only three weeks away!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David. Summer Small Tortoiseshells tend to appear around here in early June although occasionally a few put in an appearance in late May. It would not be unusual to see new Summer ones here with a few old hibernators still hanging around.

Friday 13th May.

Just some more garden stuff for now I’m afraid.

Wednesday (11th) was a horrible day, wet and windy for most of it. No butterflies seen.

Thursday was a bit brighter but still mostly cloudy with a stiff breeze. I took Jane down to Stratford Hospital to see her Mom. Still only one visitor allowed in at a time so I had a wander along the river. No butterflies seen again.

Today (Friday 13th) started off cloudy and breezy again but this afternoon brightened up a bit with some nice sunny spells although that blustery wind was still very much in evidence.

It was nice enough to bring the usual butterflies out although most of them were being blown about a fair bit. This actually worked in my favour, especially with the Holly Blues as it kept them flying lower rather than high up around the shrubs as is their usual habit.
A couple of weeks back I mentioned that I don’t often get the chance to get open wing shots of Holly Blues but since then they have made a liar of me as they have been performing unusually well for me here. In fact, I have taken more Holly Blue photos so far this year than I have of both broods over the past few years.

Today there were at least three different females, two of which were looking a bit worn now.
Holly Blue female - Coverdale 13.05.2022
The third one was in better condition and posed really well providing me with some of my best Holly Blue shots to date.
These next few shots are all of this one individual as she shuffled about on an evergreen berberis.
A couple of males were also about but these were more restless in their search for the females although today their chases were often interrupted by the blustery wind.

Two different female Brimstones passed though, one of which has some damage to her wings which easily identified her from the other one.
Brimstone female - Coverdale 13.05.2022
Brimstone female - Coverdale 13.05.2022
A male also came along, usually just after the females had left but on one occasion he caught up with one of them (the better condition one) with the ensuing dance around the shrubs as she tried to avoid him.
Brimstone pair - Coverdale 13.05.2022
On one occasion she dropped down into the vegetation and assumed the rejection pose before taking off again.
The last I saw of them was when she flew off next door with the male still in pursuit.

Curiously, there were no male Speckled Wood on station today but three different females came wandering through, two of which looked like they had taken a battering in the wind and rain earlier in the week. The third one was in better condition, I guess she had found a better hiding place from the weather.
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 13.05.2022
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 13.05.2022
One species that I have not seen that many of here this year is Orange-tip with just a few seen passing through the garden and the occasional one or two elsewhere. This afternoon a single female came through and paused just long enough in her wanderings for me to get a couple of photos.
Orange-tip female - Coverdale 13.05.2022
Orange-tip female - Coverdale 13.05.2022
Things look to be warming up a bit over the weekend and into next week although we have a bit of rain in the forecast for Sunday and Monday…we’ll see.

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

You've had something of a ladies day in your garden Neil.
The female Holly Blue, Specklie, and OT are worthy of a :mrgreen: .
I've only seen one female OT this year and she was otherwise engaged.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Just some more garden stuff for now I’m afraid." :shock: Nothing wrong with those Neil - lovely set of shots of a nice range of species :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Trevor, I think that was OT female no.4 up here so far this year although I did see a few more around Emsworth and Bosham when we were down there a few weeks back. Not many males around here either this year, no more than half a dozen so far.

Thanks Wurzel. I must admit, the way the Holly Blues have been performing for me makes it difficult to tear myself away from the garden.

Saturday 14th May.

With Today (Saturday 14th) looking to be the best day weather-wise that we have had here for some time I figured it was about time I had my first trip this year out of Solihull. Having seen reports that Small Blues were flying in Warwickshire we settled on a run down the M40 to Bishops Hill, this being only about 40 minutes away and a site that Jane likes due to the good paths.

We arrived at about 10.00am with the car display showing 16c and with some high level light cloud and more importantly a much lighter breeze than recent days. I often see the first Small Blues here right inside the gate into the reserve and so it proved today with three flying about in the first small area of vegetation.
Small Blue - Bishops Hill 14.05.2022
We spent about two hours wandering about here and reckon on a count of something like 40+ Small Blues. As is often the case, there appeared to be more but I try to allow for double counting when we wander back and forth over an area.
A mating pair was also spotted perched about three feet up in some hawthorn scrub.
Small Blue pair - Bishops Hill 14.05.2022
Small Blue pair - Bishops Hill 14.05.2022
Speaking of hawthorn scrub, I have noticed over the past few years how parts of this site are becoming quite badly scrubbed up and this year it was looking worse than ever. I know that Warwickshire BC are aware of this but they do not own the site and cannot directly affect it although I believe that efforts are being made behind the scenes to have something done.

As well as the Small Blues, around half a dozen Common Blues were also flying, all fresh males and my first of the year.
Common Blue - Bishops Hill 14.05.2022
Common Blue - Bishops Hill 14.05.2022
This site often produces a Green Hairstreak or two and I did indeed see a couple today, the first one soon after walking through the gate into the site when I was watching a Small Blue and my eye just happened to fall on it settled low down in the vegetation. The other one was further up the hill and dancing high up around a tall hawthorn.
Green Hairstreak - Bishops Hill 14.05.2022
Green Hairstreak - Bishops Hill 14.05.2022
Around a dozen Dingy Skippers were seen, most of them well past their best and living up to their name but a couple were in better condition.
Dingy Skipper - Bishops Hill 14.05.2022
As well as the aforementioned species, a few Brimstones were also wandering about plus a couple each of Orange-tips and Green-veined Whites. These were actively patrolling although I did spot a Brimstone occasionally stop for a refuel before it warmed through the morning.
Brimstone - Bishops Hill 14.05.2022
Brimstone - Bishops Hill 14.05.2022
As it approached mid-day, the thin clouds vanished leaving clear blue skies and a temperature rising to 20c. The butterflies were all now zooming about in fully warmed up mode and when they did occasionally settle it was for fleeting seconds with wings clamped shut. Having spent a cracking couple of hours here we headed for home, but not before seeing at least three Holly Blues fluttering around the hedges along the short track from the gate to the road.

Neil.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Yet more lovely Brimstone in flight photos ! Fantastic photos Neil. The Small Blue look extremely pristine. Nice photos again. I have been to that Bishops Hill site a few times. The Common Blue photo is rather nice too - a very bright blue to him.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another cracking collection Neil :D That final open wing shot of the Small Blue is a blinder of a shot - I love the way the dusting of scales etches out the panels on the fore wings 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Neil Freeman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:02 pm One species that I have not seen that many of here this year is Orange-tip.
Yes, the same with me not that much further north Neil. The rest of Britain evidently has our quota. :roll: No-one has apologised to us yet. :lol:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely shots of the Small Blue Neil but my favourite has to be that gorgeous Green Hairstreak - they seem to be having a good season. I can't remember seeing quite so many for a number of years.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Otep. I wouldn't hang on waiting for an apology...they are too busy chasing after butterflies :wink: :lol:

Cheers Wurzel. That photo was taken when one of the few clouds briefly covered the sun and the light shows the blues scales well, like a 'scattering of fairy dust' as I saw it described somewhere once.

Thanks Pauline. Green Hairstreaks do seem to be having a good season although they are far more localised up this way.

Monday 16th May.

After the warm and sunny weather on Saturday, the wind picked up again on Sunday and blew in some rain showers during the morning after which it remained a mostly dull and blustery day.
Sunday night into Monday morning brought some more rain here with the day itself being similar to Sunday albeit with a few sunny spells to brighten up the day occasionally.

During the afternoon, I wandered down to my local shop and on my return spotted a female Holly Blue fluttering around a Pyracantha in the front garden. I grabbed my camera from inside the house and went back out to find her investigating some of the flower buds although she only went through a bit of half-hearted oviposturing. With the sun popping in and out from behind the plentiful clouds, she settled a couple of times and opened her wings as the sun came back out.
Holly Blue female - Coverdale 16.05.2022
A little later I spotted another female Holly Blue in the back garden and the weather once again led her to settle when the sun went behind a cloud and open her wings when it reappeared.
A female Brimstone was also spotted fluttering around the Alder Buckthorns and stopping occasionally to lay eggs but getting a photo of this was nigh on impossible in the blustery wind. I did manage a couple of photos however when she dropped down lower to settle out of the wind.
Brimstone female - Coverdale 16.05.2022
Just the two species seen and with the blue and yellow theme I couldn't help but think they were showing solidarity with Ukraine :)

Tuesday (17th) was a warm day here, although not as warm as the forecast would have us believe with increasing cloud through the afternoon and some heavy rain early evening. I spent most of the day round my mom’s doing some jobs in her house and garden as she is now of an age where she cannot do a lot herself. Whilst there a couple of Holly Blues passed through her garden.

As I write this on Wednesday morning it is looking quite pleasant outside but I have to wait in for a new cooker to be delivered, our existing one finally packed up last week after many years of good service. Due to Janes disability, I do most of the cooking so this is a new toy for me to play with :D

Neil.
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Hi Neil,

Lots of lovely photos over several days. Your Small Blues are gorgeous. I love the idea that your Holly Blues :mrgreen: and Brimstones are showing Solidarity for Ukraine :) like the rest of us.

I also like the 'scattering of fairy dust'. I often think of fairies whilst watching butterflies.

Enjoy your new toy!

Sarah.
David M

Post by David M »

Love the Holly Blues, Neil, and it must be wonderful to have them in your garden. However, those Small Blues are sublime. You've captured the 'sheen' on them really well, which isn't easy to do.

Great to know you have a site within easy distance where they thrive.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments Sarah and David, much appreciated :D

A combination of being busy and also some recent poor weather has meant that I have seen very few butterflies for a few days, just the odd Holly Blue and occasional white passing though the garden and also spotted whilst out shopping etc. I simply haven’t had the time to travel further as any of the more premium species out now would involve driving an hour or more to see.

Garden Moths.

For a number of reasons, not least being poor weather for running the moth trap here with many nights being rather windy, I have not had the trap out as often so far as in previous years. During April I only ran the trap on three occasion with low numbers of the usual common species for the time of year turning up.
Flame Carpet - Coverdale 30.04.2022
Flame Carpet - Coverdale 30.04.2022
Early Grey - Coverdale 30.04.2022
Early Grey - Coverdale 30.04.2022
May started off slow with a continuation of overall low numbers.

The past week or so has seen an improvement in conditions with a drop in the wind corresponding with cloudy nights and milder overnight temperatures. I’m still seeing relatively low numbers in general but there has been an improvement in the number of species which is only to be expected now.
Common Marbled Carpet - Coverdale 19.05.2022
Common Marbled Carpet - Coverdale 19.05.2022
The best night so far was the last time I ran the trap on the night of 22nd when the result was 68 moths of 26 species. These included a Dark Sword-grass, a migrant species that is only the second one I have had here. In fact, being in the middle of the country means I don’t get to see many migrants at al compared with those further south.
Dark Sword-grass - Coverdale 22.05.2022
Dark Sword-grass - Coverdale 22.05.2022
I was chuffed with the Dark Sword-grass but it was pipped into being the best moth of the night by a Toadflax Brocade, my second here after having my first in 2020 which was also the first one for west Warwickshire although there are an increasing number of records from around Coventry and Rugby to the east of the county.
Toadflax Brocade - Coverdale 22.05.2022
Toadflax Brocade - Coverdale 22.05.2022
A Sycamore was another moth that only shows up here occasionally with one or two a year at most.
Sycamore - Coverdale 22.05.2022
Sycamore - Coverdale 22.05.2022
Conditions here are very changeable again with quite a bit of rain over the past couple of nights and a return of the wind so I’m not sure when the trap will go out again.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of Moffs Neil - that Flame carpet looks like someone was colouring it but called away after they'd only done the first pink bit :D I'm glad you featured it as I think I saw one the other day so it saves me scrolling through endless moffs on the App :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:03 am...Conditions here are very changeable again with quite a bit of rain over the past couple of nights and a return of the wind so I’m not sure when the trap will go out again.
Been equally frustrating down here, Neil. The cloud remains stubborn for much of the day only to clear up in the late afternoon. :(

Nice selection of moths again. Hope you get more opportunities with your trap very soon.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your recent shots of the Holly Blue Neil, the Holly Blue female is in short supply in my Daughters garden :D Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. The Flame Carpet is an easy one to ID, some of the others in that family can be a bit more of a challenge, especially with how variable they can be.

Thanks David. If there is one word that can describe the weather here lately it is cloudy...and windy. If there are two words that can describe the weather here they are cloudy and windy... :wink:

Glad you like the Holly Blues Goldie. They have been unusually co-operative for me this year :D .

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”