May 2022

Discussion forum for sightings.
Charles Nicol

Re: May 2022

Post by Charles Nicol »

adrian riley wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:42 am
Charles Nicol wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:56 pm today i went to Hexton Chalk Pit. it is a small nature reserve in the Bedfordshire Chilterns.
there was plenty of Dingy Skipper activity, including this pair

52061612681_5b9ce223cc_c.jpg

i also found this strange plant... any suggestions ?

52062101745_d579909cfc_c.jpg
Hi, Charles
Your orchid may be Early Purple, but equally could be Common Spotted. The former are all but over here in Norfolk but, as some rosettes don't produce a flower spike, this doesn't rule the species out of the reckoning. If it is growing in a damp locality, it could also possibly be Southern Marsh-orchid var junialis. I guess we shall just have to wait and see when/if it blooms Keep in touch!
Happy hunting, Ade.
thanks for those suggestions Ade ! the plant was in a fairly dry location.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

A great day spent at Darland Banks (Kent) last Sunday, with Small Blue, Adonis Blue (including a single female sighted) an plenty of Common Blues (also a female too.) Some highlight images from that day, no images are cropped. Cheers Paul.
P1360396-copy-to-800.jpg
P1360658-copy-to-800.jpg
P1940976-copy-to-800.jpg
P1360239-copy-to-800.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Why do you always say “No images are cropped?” Is that supposed to be some sort of bonus?

Jack
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Rosalyn wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:02 am
Otep wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:46 pm
Rosalyn wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:05 pm One of 7 Wall seen today nr Peterborough
Wall 184.jpg
I don't remember seeing so many in a single day before.
Nice photo Rosalyn. May I ask what the site is? It might be one that I could travel to from South Derbyshire. I have a site in Much Wenlock, Shropshire that I found last year but other equidistant sites are always welcome.
Thanks Otep, I'm hoping I have messaged you successfully with all the details. It's a members only site but it is easy and free to become one. You could of course visit as my guest if you would like to.
Thank you Rosalyn. I have replied to your very informative message, which I am extremely grateful for. A visit to the website and news of water voles and reptiles has really piqued my interest ! If I drove home having seen butterflies, water voles and reptiles, that would be a perfect day. I go on many water vole spotting trips and have not seen one for 10-12 years. Butterflies are easy by comparison. :lol:
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Jack Harrison wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:13 pm Why do you always say “No images are cropped?” Is that supposed to be some sort of bonus?

Jack
Yeah Jack..............its mainly a "bonus" for me. :D On occassion, i do crop an image, but for most of my images i dont crop.
What does that mean?? i guess it means that im trying to make an image "in camera", getting the composition right from the start (without needing to crop an image later down the line). I dont use "high end" camera gear, i use just 12 to 16 MP cameras, so although i can crop, an the overall image will not suffer too much, id rather not faff about cropping images, looking for better composition hours or days after ive made the shot.

A much easier route to capturing images, would be to to use high end, larger MP/sensor cameras(which create larger files) shoot the butterfly from a greater distance, use the center focus point, then crop for the best type of composition that you might desire/want, back home on your PC/Laptop/device (with all the time in the world). Its also much easier to get all of the butterfly in focus, when you shoot from a longer distance to subject...then crop at a later date etc etc.

The "interweb" is a strange place Jack, words on a screen, are not like talking to a person in the real world.........................i could have taken what you wrote, in the wrong way, im sure you didnt mean to sound "arsey", when you wrote - "Is that supposed to be some sort of bonus"

Anyway, to crop or not to crop...that is the question..........give it try jack, shoot some images yourself, try to capture the whole of the butterfly in focus(when i say whole, i mean all 4 wings, wing tips, head/body/antennae/legs/hair) go for a pleasing composition...in camera, without cropping the image.................................oh, an i use close up filters too, just to make it more of a challenge for myself :D :wink:
Cheers Paul.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Pretty well overcast and breezy for most of the morning but when the sun did come out a few butterflies took advantage. Beacon Hill, Wiltshire

Dingy Skipper 6
Grizzled Skipper 5
Large White 2
Small White 2
Green-veined White 5
Orange-tip 4
Peacock 1
Marsh Fritillary 3
Speckled Wood 2
Wall Brown 5
Small Heath 2
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I,ve been visiting some small local Grizzled Skipper sites fairly regularly over the last couple of weeks hoping to find a few ,and that is just right ........................A few ! at the best site ,which usually has a high number of Abberant individuals ,after some searching i managed to find 2 ,both Abberant (1 Taras ,1 Intermedia ) i thought that being the first ones of the season they would be fresh ,but instead they were pretty worn ,having probably been out for a week or more. at another small site a stones throw away i saw another 2 ,one a fly-bye and 1 fresh normal individual (pictured),the best site in this little cluster of colonies .................nothing showing at all ,very overgrown now ,i,ve got my doubts that any will emerge there this year ,but i live in hopes !
Allan.W.
P1090622.JPG
P1090626.JPG
P1090617.JPG
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

this morning i was back in Sundon Chalk Pits... it was breezy and cloudy at first, although the sun came through at midday.

there were lots of Dingy Skippers, a few Small Heaths, one Red Admiral, a couple of Green Hairstreaks and some blues...

i am OK on Green Butterflies, but i would like some help with the two blues please :oops:
Attachments
52070601176_98894043a6_c.jpg
52070613998_b19babcbf8_c.jpg
52070614788_6222e7df7b_c.jpg
52069567077_baaeee3c9d_c.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Charles Nicol wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:28 pm this morning i was back in Sundon Chalk Pits... it was breezy and cloudy at first, although the sun came through at midday.

there were lots of Dingy Skippers, a few Small Heaths, one Red Admiral, a couple of Green Hairstreaks and some blues...

i am OK on Green Butterflies, but i would like some help with the two blues please :oops:
Both male Common Blues Charles :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Allan.W. wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:15 pm which usually has a high number of Abberant individuals ,after some searching i managed to find 2 ,both Abberant (1 Taras ,1 Intermedia )
Really fascinating looking Grizzled Skipper abs Allan. I really like the second one. Great find.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

bugboy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:15 pm
Charles Nicol wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:28 pm this morning i was back in Sundon Chalk Pits... it was breezy and cloudy at first, although the sun came through at midday.

Both male Common Blues Charles :)
thanks for your help bugboy !

:D
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 12th - Kenfig Dunes, Glamorgan:

Common Blue 15-20
Wall Brown 10
Orange Tip 6
Brimstone 4
Green Veined White 3
Speckled Wood 3
Dingy Skipper 2
Small Blue 2
Red Admiral 2
12.Wallmale1(1).jpg
12.Wallfemups1(1).jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Oh WOW Allan!!!!! Just love that Grizzled Skipper (just don't tell Goldie :wink: ). Almost feel like driving to Kent myself if that's what's on offer :mrgreen:
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks Pauline ,they,re very few and far between this season ,I reckon that this one is probably a week old ,going by its frayed wings ,but still quite striking ! my 3 local sites don,t seem to be doing too well (for Grizzles ) this season ,1 of the 3 is now very overgrown and becoming unsuitable ,and the other 2 are very slow (Goldie knows these sites .
Thanks also Otep ....................always pleased to see these beauties !
Regards Allan.W.
P1090579 (2).JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Allan.W. wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:29 pm Thanks Pauline ,they,re very few and far between this season ,I reckon that this one is probably a week old ,going by its frayed wings ,but still quite striking ! my 3 local sites don,t seem to be doing too well (for Grizzles ) this season ,1 of the 3 is now very overgrown and becoming unsuitable ,and the other 2 are very slow (Goldie knows these sites .
Thanks also Otep ....................always pleased to see these beauties !
Regards Allan.W.
P1090579 (2).JPG
They seem to be having a poor year in general Allan, all the sites I see Grizzlies at are low in numbers too.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Bugboy , yes as you say most sites seem to be struggling ,funnily the exception being Dungeness ,where most years you,re very fortunate to see 2 in a session (mind you as you know it,s a huge area and they are spread out ) this season people are seeing 10+ per session fairly regularly ,and the OBS Warden had a day count of 30 !
i,ve one more local site to try ,and weather permitting ,may have a look tomorrow !
Regards Allan.W.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Weather fabulous at Sundon... i expected lots of motorcycles but did not see a single one !

plenty of Dingy Skippers & Green Hairstreaks though :D

i tried a new setting on the camera and was delighted with the results:
52073549715_87a7f02ebf_c.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

That is one stunning Green Hairstreak Charles ! ....................................Nice one !!
Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Charles Nicol wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:13 pmi tried a new setting on the camera and was delighted with the results
Impressive. Need sunglasses for that one, Charles. :)
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I had a trip out to one of the small Duke sites near Wye in Kent ,to see how the Dukes were faring ,it was very warm .I started seeing butterflies almost as soon as i left the car ,this site is reached by REALLY narrow lanes so the two past seasons i,ve parked about a mile and a half away and walked ,but what views ! so well worth it .As i walked along i started seeing Wall Browns ,that led me along the top of the downs ,reckon i saw 10 before i hit the road ,and the byway where i used to park,to walk down to the site ,I,m normally kept company by an inquisitive Red Kite ,but he didn,t show today.
On entering the main area i saw my first butterfly ,a Green Hairstreak one of around a dozen that i found ,and all pretty worn ,a few Dingy Skippers
and the ever present Wall,s ,i reckon i saw 25+ easily . And on a patch of Bramble by the path ,the first of 5 (in this spot ) Dukes all feisty males ,
with many aerial battles ,watched them for a while and strolled on to another hotspot area ,as i walked along i noticed in a tiny clear area between the bramble ,a Bright pink topped stick ,on inspection it was sitting beside a neatly trowelled hole ,and i realised that a fine clump of false Oxlip
(naturally occuring hybrid between primrose / Cowslip ) had gone home with someone...........................NOT BEST PLEASED !!
At the far end of the valley ,along a wide path there were really good numbers of male Dukes ,sunning on the path ,much scrapping occured ! and i was surprised to see one male see off a Peacock ! there was a lot of variation amongst these males,including a male AB;Leucodes many were showing f wear ,but no females.
but I did find 3 females towards the bottom of the slope ,keeping low amongst the Cowslip leaves ,presumably egglaying .
I also saw 2 Common Blues ,1 Holly Blue ,1 Red Admiral (only my second of the year ),1 peacock ,several Brimstone , "whites" 1 O-tip and in all around 20 Dukes...................A brilliant afternoon !.
photos to follow . Regards Allan.W.

Return to “Sightings”