Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David, I wish they were Grizzlies :D I may get to see some next week hope fully, if I don't that's life :roll: Goldie :D

Many thanks Allan, I just wish those Grizzles would appear nearer :D I hate depending on other people to take me places but that's life at present :roll: Hope fully I'll try that Blue bell Hill place next week, I hope they're still flying there.Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Grizzlies do have a reasonably long flight time so you should be knee deep next week, fingers (and toes) crossed that you get your 'lifer' :D

Have a Grizzlie

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel , you've made me feel better about seeing one now :lol: Not much getting out to see the Butterflies at present, the house hold is too busy, my Daughters a coach for Athletics and is pretty busy at Present , so we try to do things when she's available :D

I've been in the garden and gone to Castle Gardens to see if I could spot any thing, ( haven't got a Green Hair Streak or an Orange Tip yet :roll: " they've been in the garden but never settled , hope fully I'll get some shots before long.

I've got shots how ever of retreating Butterflies , just about to take shots and off they go :lol:

Hope to have some thing shortly . Goldie :D
Attachments
this one escaped
this one escaped
IMG_5652.jpeg
IMG_5650.jpeg
IMG_5643.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie,
I visited the three local Grizzle sites earlier ..............in less than ideal conditions ! Still none showing ,but the Bugle plants are now in good flower there ,and i generally see the first few here ,when the bugle starts .................so fingers crossed ,if the weather picks up this week ...........they should be out ! I bumped into a local chap while i was there and he hadn,t seen any yet either ,i did see my first Small Heath there . I,ll keep you posted ! Just a thought i saw on the "Sightings " section that Testudo man saw good numbers (i,m guessing Queendown Warren ) so may be worth asking him as well .........................I did see 9 Grizzles (and 389 Small Coppers ) at Dungeness on Saturday .
Good luck ! Allan.W.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Re; the entrance to Bonsai bank (Denge wood ) just had a look at Daves directions and i reckon that we,re both talking of the same entrance, but Daves coming from the opposite direction ,because the entrance that i,m talking about is also at the Waltham end of Tar pot lane ...............i may have an early morning there tomorrow (for Anania Funebris.............moth ) if i do i,ll take some pics of the parking area .
Allan.W.

Hi Goldie, sorry, I assumed you would be coming from the Canterbury end (north end of the road). Hence my directions as detailed for Bonsai Bank. Both myself and Allan usually enter from the Waltham end (south end of the road). So Allan and myself are both talking about the same parking area and entrance track. I know people have been there today and no one mentioned deep ruts so assume all is still okay. A few Duke and Dingy's seen today.
Next weekends weather is looking very good so probably ideal time to visit.
Your Small Copper count at Dungeness was very good. Dungeness is probably Kents best site for this species.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Allan and Dave, I still hope to see the Grizzles some time Allan, maybe it's best they're delayed because my Daughter has just come down with Covid, she's doing okay now but was a bit rough at first so fingers crossed I don't catch it :D

Dave , I think things will be slow here for a while , I know Dungeness is good but I can't get there, with one thing and another happening I'll be lucky to get to the Grizzlies :D main thing is my Daughter gets better and no one else in the family catch it.

Mean time ,( has they say) I did get my female Holly Blue this morning :D I'll have wo Orange Tips there this morning to be satisfied with the Garden for a while :roll:
I did see two Orange Tips there this morning but both flew through. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5697.jpeg
IMG_5713.jpeg
IMG_5707 (2).jpeg
IMG_5711.jpeg
IMG_5703 (1).jpeg
IMG_5706.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Sorry to hear that your daughter has got Covid, Goldie. Seems like every other week you get a new spanner thrown in the works. :(

Glad to see those Holly Blues though. They must have cheered you up, and you'll still have plenty of time for the Grizzlies once this has all cleared up.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of holly Blues Goldie, especially the in flight shot 8) I hope your daughter recovers soon.

Have a Grizzlie

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David and Wurzel, we've kept apart as much as we can, thank goodness for the warmer weather, my Daughter has spent more time in the garden than ever before :D She's much better ,( thank goodness for the vaccine ).

I've been out, not too far, just quick visits and wore a mask just in case, I went to Reculver for an hour, I'm glad I did, the Wall's were out , but still closing their wings on landing, I managed to get a quick shot before the one I saw closed it's wings, at least I got a bit better shot this time but still waiting for the full wing shot :D At least when I'm out , I'm a way from the house and I wear a face mask.

I saw this Holly Blue in the tree blossom this morning and couldn't resist posting it :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_5739.jpeg
IMG_5738 (1).jpeg
IMG_5727.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to hear that your daughter's on the mend Goldie...and great to see you managed to get out and catch up with some Walls 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see you got a few Wall Browns, Goldie. They can be tricky in warm weather.

I'm pleased to know your daughter is recovering. Hopefully that'll be the last bad event this spring for you both.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi M., I'm really quite envious of your Wall shots as I will be very lucky to see one here and will probably have to travel to a different County if I get desperate :wink: :lol: Once you get properly settled down here you will find yourself well placed to see all kinds of butterflies. I may need to rent a room from you if the LTB shows up again :wink: :lol:
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
I know this does,nt help your Grizzle Skip quest much Goldie ,but they are having an exceptional year at Dungeness . Most years you,re very lucky to see one or two during a session ,we visited yesterday and found 9 ,and this morning (early doors !) i counted 6 .
The sites i put you on to ,local to me ,still weren,t producing on Friday ........... bit peeved that i wasn,t able to visit today ,but will try late afternoon tomorrow (weather permitting !) ..............last seasons first sightings on these sites was 9th May .
A friend of mine who monitors the local sites has only seen 2 so far (on a private section )
Adonis Blue ,Small Blue , Wall ,and Dingy Skips, are all flying at Samphire Ho (beach section )plus the odd Small Copper and Green Hairstreak .
Regards Allan.W.
ps; good numbers of Dukes at Bonsai bank.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Goldie , i,ve sent you a PM ,with an update to my last post . Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everyone for your posts, it's been busy here, my Daughter is better and today we went to Temple Ewell, I didn't want her to go too far because she still gets tired easily so the Grizzlies will have to wait, we did see some Small Blue whilst we were there but it was very cloudy and when the Sun did pop out, so did the Small Blue :D

We've been busy with Solicitors etc, but I've now got a date for moving, it won't be while the end of June but at least we've got a date now :D

Allan if you sent me an update I didn't get it, has you see though I found the Small Blue at TE, if you visit there there's not too much to see at present but hope fully more Butterflies will be out shortly, I saw the SB's (there was lots of them) through the gate to the field and immediately to your right , it was sheltered by the tall edges there. I'll wait for your update :D

Pauline, I'm envious of everything you've posted so far :lol:

Not able to get the Grizzlies yet Wurzel, hope fully still got time :D

I plan to go back for more Wall shots David ,hope fully, I'd still like to see one with it's wings open :lol:

So far my visit's and photo's of the Orange Tip's have been touch and go :D I was determined to try and get at least one decent shot by setting the camera onto the Sports control :D What I got was a very distant shot has it flew passed :lol: Goldie :lol:
Attachments
IMG_5867.jpeg
IMG_5864.jpeg
IMG_5861.jpeg
IMG_5845.jpeg
IMG_5832 (1).jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
I can,t think whats happened there then Goldie (re;update ) most odd , anyway i,ll update you now ,the grizzles are now flying at two of the three
sites that i put you onto ,near me ,i,ve been this afternoon and i saw 2 in one section and 2 in another ,what is usually the best area (opp the footpath sign ) barely anything flying at all ! but that particular sight is now very overgrown ! if you decide to have a look there BE CAREFUL ! very overgrown
and prickly ! One thing that ,s a bit worrying ,is that the two i saw on one section (both ABS ) were really quite worn ,very odd as i,ve visited a couple of times ,and so have a couple of other enthusiasts ,and seen nothing ,but these two look as though they,ve been out for at least a week .
Well done with the Small Blues ,nice shots .funnily enough i nearly went to Lydden/Temp Ewell this afternoon (straight from a funeral ,and another tomorrow !) but changed my mind and done the Grizzle sites instead ,good luck if you do try for the Grizzles ,i,d wait a few more days when hopefully a few more will be about .................they,re not easy to follow once in the air!
Regards Allan.W.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Hi Goldie,
I went to Bonsai Bank on Monday and can confirm that no work has been done to the entrance track. It is not deep rutted, infact it is as hard and level as always. Easy to walk, just the distance involved, probably between 800-1000 yds. Well worth it though with at least 11 Dukes, 21 Dingy, 4 Green Hairstreaks and 1 Wall Brown. also plenty of Lady and Early Purple Orchids. One Nightingale was singing, but no sound this year of any Willow Warblers, at least during our visit. There is enough room for 6 cars at the entrance, If full people park a little further along the road where room for another 4 cars.
Bonsai Bank this year is a little overgrown compared to last year when a lot of maintenance work was undertaken. It is an excellant site for butterflies. If you go I suggest taking a bottle of water with you for the site appears to be a sun trap and can be very warm. Keep an eye out for day flying moths.
The site entrance has a pole barrier across it. At this time of the year the number of cars parked, or people walking with cameras, will tell you if are at the right entrance.
Using Streetmap- Entrance/ Car Parking area. TR099500/ 099775. The reserve itself is about TR105510/ 105925.
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely Small Blues, Goldie. Now for the main event - Grizzlies! :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Small Blue shots Goldie :D You should be okay for the Grizzlies - there are still plenty about and most are still in great nick 8)

Have a Grizzlie :wink:

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Allan, with a bit of luck we should be able to try for one of the sites this week, they closed the M2 this weekend which was a pain but then the weather was funny last week, I went with my Grandson to a spot near where he lives at Barnham,
( think that's how you spell it ) we didn't see a thing it was cloudy all day,( we did end up in a pub for drink though ) There was sign on one of the gates near there with a Butterfly on it which he'd told me about, we may go back there this week. :D

Hi! Dave, If I can I'll try to visit there again, it's just driving there at present, it certainly doesn't sound like the place we went to, that was well rutted , I think may be if we went higher up that lane and then turned left we may find it, I'll see what my Daughter thinks. :D

Thanks David, I've not given up on the Grizzlies yet, hope fully I'll get there in the end :D I went to Reculver again yesterday didn't get shots of anything, I saw the Wall but they were keeping to the wall and didn't fly much or settle, think it was too hot for them
I then went into Blean Woods, I did get shots of another Brimstone but nothing else was flying. :D

Thanks Wurzel, my Daughter's busy this week-end, ( she' an athletics coach ) so she's saved her energy up for that :D ) Hope fully weather permitting we'll try this next week. :D Goldie :D

Forgot to mention, I found this moth under a leaf, does any one know what it's called Goldie :oops:
Attachments
IMG_5911.jpeg
IMG_5897.jpeg

Return to “Personal Diaries”