The British and Irish List

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Lawts

The British and Irish List

Post by Lawts »

Other than the regular 59 species, (including Cryptic Wood White) would there be any others you'd add to the below list as potentials that have been/could be seen in Britain/Ireland in recent times and in the near future?

Scarce Tortoiseshell
Large Tortoiseshell
Monarch
Long-tailed Blue
Camberwell Beauty
Large Copper
Queen of Spain Fritillery
Southern Small White

Also, is there a definitive list of species recorded in Britain ever/year on year as there is for British birds?

Thanks.
millerd

Re: The British and Irish List

Post by millerd »

Lawts,

I would delete Large Copper from this list as it has been extinct here for a while and there are no current official programmes to reintroduce it (as far as I know). I don't think it is migratory and it therefore wouldn't make it here under its own steam.

The continental subspecies of Swallowtail is a fairly regular visitor to the south coast (and the Channel Islands), so you might consider that one.

Occasional past migrants have included the American Painted Lady, so that's a possibility.

It'll be interesting to see other opinions; I'm unaware by the way of any annually published definitive list of what has been seen in any given year.

Cheers,

Dave
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

If you look at the classification on the home page, that pretty much covers it (and is aligned with the latest checklist).

There is no 'definitive' list each year, although an annual roundup for each year is provided in the Entomologist's Record and Journal of Variation.

Some of the species listed are quite interesting and certainly the subject of debate. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' and lots of opinions!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks Pete.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Geranium Bronze is seen a couple of times most years - one of those species that may or may not be considered legitimate. But it is now naturalised in many parts of Europe and hitches lifts on imported plants?
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

I am very keen to see Queen of Spain Fritillary now. I read the narrative about them (as below). Is it a fair summary that they are extremely rare, there are few recordings and the likelhood of seeing one in Britain seems to be decreasing? Has anyone on the forum seen one here?

https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species ... s=lathonia
millerd

Post by millerd »

Otep wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:50 pm I am very keen to see Queen of Spain Fritillary now. I read the narrative about them (as below). Is it a fair summary that they are extremely rare, there are few recordings and the likelhood of seeing one in Britain seems to be decreasing? Has anyone on the forum seen one here?

https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species ... s=lathonia
The last time I recall many of us seeing the species was in August/September 2017 when a couple of QoS turned up just inland from the Sussex coast between Newhaven and Brighton. Some shots in my diary here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6157&start=1840

Dave
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Thank you Dave. A day to cherish and evidently very much in your memories. Clouded Yellow too I read. You were spoilt on the day. :mrgreen:

Return to “General”