Cumbria butterflies query

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Stevie Blunder

Cumbria butterflies query

Post by Stevie Blunder »

Is it possible to see Scotch Argus, Northern Brown Argus and Mountain Ringlet at the same time in Cumbria? Weather permitting of course. If so when is the best time to go and where. I live in Gloucestershire so it has to be worth the long trip. Many thanks.
millerd

Re: Cumbria butterflies query

Post by millerd »

Hi Stevie,

In theory, in an average season, it might be possible to see all three in the penultimate week of July. The Mountain Ringlets will be at the end of their season, the Scotch Argus at the start of theirs, and the Northern Brown Argus nearing the end of theirs. Quirks of the weather may enlarge this tenuous window or may remove it altogether. I seem to remember Neil Freeman managed to see all three during a northern trip a few years ago, but I can't recall whether the Mountain Ringlets were English or Scottish ones.

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Stevie.

I have seen Mountain Ringlet and Northern Brown Argus at the same time (June), Mountain Ringlet at Irton Fell and NBA at a number of sites including Latterbarrow, Gait Barrows and Arnside Knott. You can also see Large Heath at Meathop Moss or Foulshaw Moss at this time and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary at a number of sites in the area. In fact I saw all four species in one day a few years ago.

I have seen Scotch Argus and NBA both flying at Arnside Knott in late July into early August.

I have never seen all three at the same time.

As Dave says it is theoretically possible if Mountain Ringlets are still flying in late July at their higher altitude sites in Cumbria when the first Scotch Argus start emerging and NBA should still be around, albeit probably past their best.

Whenever we have been up there we have booked a few days into a B&B which gives more time to explore and also increases the chance of having a decent window in the weather which can be rather unpredictable up that way.

Cheers,

Neil.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

That is an excellent question and answer that I am the beneficiary of. Thank you to you all. I am just starting my 3rd season and I am on 42 species seen. Those 3 are on my wish list.

I must confess that I am a little scared of the Mountain Ringlet. Not the butterfly itself, but its altitude. That altitude might not be compatible with my smokers lungs. I can hear it now, 'He died doing what he loved' :roll: Maybe I should make the Mountain Ringlet the last that I try to see and go out in a blaze of glory.
Stevie Blunder

Post by Stevie Blunder »

Thanks for your comments everyone. This is my first season since I retired and I would really like to photograph all mainland species this year. I was trying to avoid travelling up to Cumbria twice. Not because of the location, but the petrol costs more than anything.
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Hi Stevie,

Scotch Argus & Northern Brown argus can both be found at Smardale Gill, a Cumbria Wildlife Trust reserve.

Sarah
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Otep wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:00 pm That is an excellent question and answer that I am the beneficiary of. Thank you to you all. I am just starting my 3rd season and I am on 42 species seen. Those 3 are on my wish list.

I must confess that I am a little scared of the Mountain Ringlet. Not the butterfly itself, but its altitude. That altitude might not be compatible with my smokers lungs. I can hear it now, 'He died doing what he loved' :roll: Maybe I should make the Mountain Ringlet the last that I try to see and go out in a blaze of glory.
Irton Fell is the easiest site to get to for the Mountain Ringlet, under 400M above sea level, it's just a short walk up a gentle slope from the car park. If the weathers with you, you can park your car, take your pics and be back at your car in under an hour... if you wanted to that is!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

bugboy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:47 pm Irton Fell is the easiest site to get to for the Mountain Ringlet, under 400M above sea level, it's just a short walk up a gentle slope from the car park. If the weathers with you, you can park your car, take your pics and be back at your car in under an hour... if you wanted to that is!
Thank you for that Bugboy. I have lots of documents that I have created with butterfly intelligence that I have amassed and Irton Fell is on there. Never mind my lungs, I had a car for the 2021 season that struggled to get up inclines. That is no longer a problem.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Neil Freeman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:57 pm Hi Stevie.

I have seen Mountain Ringlet and Northern Brown Argus at the same time (June), Mountain Ringlet at Irton Fell and NBA at a number of sites including Latterbarrow, Gait Barrows and Arnside Knott. You can also see Large Heath at Meathop Moss or Foulshaw Moss at this time and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary at a number of sites in the area. In fact I saw all four species in one day a few years ago.

I have seen Scotch Argus and NBA both flying at Arnside Knott in late July into early August.

As Dave says it is theoretically possible if Mountain Ringlets are still flying in late July at their higher altitude sites in Cumbria when the first Scotch Argus start emerging and NBA should still be around, albeit probably past their best.

Whenever we have been up there we have booked a few days into a B&B which gives more time to explore and also increases the chance of having a decent window in the weather which can be rather unpredictable up that way.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil do you know if Brown Argus has reached Arnside Knott, or is it still a "safe" site for Northern Brown Argus?
Thanks.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lawts wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:11 pm
Neil Freeman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:57 pm Hi Stevie.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil do you know if Brown Argus has reached Arnside Knott, or is it still a "safe" site for Northern Brown Argus?
Thanks.
Looking at distribution maps for both species in the most recent publications, Arnside Knott would still seem to be safe for NBA.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

[quote=Lawts post_id=170135 time=1652134280 user_id=10124
Thanks.
[/quote]

I believe that the Arnside and Silverdale area is still 'safe' for NBA. Good sites for them in this area include the Knott itself, Gait Barrows, Warton Crag and also Latterbarrow on the other side of the Kent Estuary.

Cheers,

Neil.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks bugboy and Neil. Much appreciated.

Return to “General”