Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - you planning a visit? I'll be very disappointed if they are not around for another couple of weeks!

Today I heard my first Cuckoo. I'm pretty sure where it was coming from but as I was at the very bottom of Rake Bottom and it was at the very top, I really didn't feel like trying to get closer. I did get very close to one a few years back - you might remember him, Colin, who became quite famous:
P1050209ad.jpg
P1050238ad.jpg
P1050276ad.jpg
Butterfly-wise there wasn't much active - just the roosting Dingies and Grizzlies:
P1220929ad.jpg
but I did come across a couple of attractive caterpillers which I believe are The Drinker moth:
P1220927ad.jpg
P1220935ad.jpg
Anyone who visits this area should be aware that if walking along the track around the top of Rake Bottom, every conversation you have can be clearly heard by anyone right down at the bottom. I am not sure why this should be. I am guessing the shape of this feature creates some sort of strange accoustic effect. Just hope it doesn't work the other way round or I shall need to be more careful what I say when I fall down one of those rabbit burrows! :wink: :lol:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cracking Cuckoo shots !. Only ever had a quick glimpse of one.
What a rare privilege !.

Trevor.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Think your larvae is a Drinker ............. regards Allan.W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Whoops Sorry Pauline ....................I missed that you already had an ID for the larvae .......................my mistake :roll:
Allan.W.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Ah Colin, I never met him but I understand he ate his own body weight in mealworms daily!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Trevor - yes, they are usually difficult to get close to.

No worries Allan - it is good to have the ID confirmed.

You're missing out Buggy! Colin is a wild Cuckoo whom some locals (and some photographers) feed. You may have to wait hours to see if he turns up (and often he doesn't) but with your camera and skill in bird photography you would get some cracking shots. I understand he returned a few days ago. With few butterflies about I may visit him again.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of Colin Pauline and good to hear that he's managed to make it through the minefield of southern Europe :D Love the final shot as it shows the almost Hawk like profile :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Aah! Colin the cuckoo. I remember him well. :D

Those dull conditions allowed you to get another great underside shot of the Grizzled Skipper, Pauline. Food for thought for me as I usually only get uppersides.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - I was tempted to try to catch up with him today but with better weather the butterflies won.

Thank you David - in the cold, windy conditions that's all that was on offer :)

Today I needed a change of scene and colour so I decided to pop over to my local Pearl colony to see how they were doing, even tho' it is a 'late' site and I usually don't visit this early. Should you happen to read this Neil, and if in any way you were responsible, great job. It is looking so much better than my last visit. I only saw 6 or 7 males who mostly divided their time between nectaring and searching for females. That ditch is a great idea!
P1220955ad.jpg
P1220962ad.jpg
Just for you Otep :wink: :wink:
P1220953bd.jpg
P1220952ad.jpg
P1230001ad.jpg
P1220971ad.jpg
P1220953ad.jpg
A lot of Green Tiger beetles:
P1220985ad.jpg
PS. Does anyone know why these images look less sharp than the originals when viewed on this site? And is there anything I can do about it?
Last edited by Pauline on Thu May 05, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Great to hear, Pauline. The 're-grading' of the ditch beside the forest road is an occasionally necessary maintenance job, to keep the surface intact for heavy timber vehicles. It does mean that the ditch and bank are disrupted for a year or two, but the now gentler S-facing gradient will provide better PBF breeding habitat when it recovers. Bearing in mind that this operation causes a short-term loss of PBF breeding habitat, and that the coppicing by national park volunteers had fallen behind due to the pandemic, I spent a lot of time in there over the winter with chainsaw and brushcutter, working alongside national park staff and volunteers. As you have seen, we've more than caught up with the management for PBF, so the colony is now looking more secure again. I'm also liaising with the estate to try and get a larger area of birch and chestnut harvested for firewood, which will hopefully create a boom in numbers. Please keep posting any numbers you see on future visits (all this valuable data is recorded).
BWs, Neil
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

My Pearl photos are now in the bin Pauline. :mrgreen: :lol:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Yes, I'm sure the clearance of an even larger area would be of benefit Neil. If I return I'll keep you informed.

I'm pleased you're joking Otep cos I'd swap them all for your mating pair!

My brief visit this morning to Chiddingfold Forest was even briefer than planned :roll: due to road closures and traffic. A 35 min trip took me over an hour so by 10.50am I was on my way back again! It was good to meet Philip again and have a chat as we watched the Wood Whites. A few photos below:
P1230041ad.jpg
P1230080ad.jpg
P1230055ad.jpg
P1230085ad.jpg
P1230085bd.jpg
P1230024ad.jpg
P1230075bd.jpg
P1230059ad.jpg
P1230075ad.jpg
P1230013ad.jpg
Seeing a few deer reminded me that this is a really bad site for ticks - or an excellent one, depending on how you view it!
P1230086ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Wood Whites are simply a joy to behold Pauline 8) :mrgreen: I really must catch up with them this year!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

I must confess to being absolutely mesmerised by the close up of the Wood White wing. I was staring at it for quite some considerable time, looking at the incredible fine detail. Thank you for sharing that Pauline.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You really should Wurzel - they are so delightful I could watch them all day.

You say the nicest things Otep :D I reckon butterfly wings would make a great subject for Pointillism.

Today was very much a blue day for various reasons. My venue of choice was Paulsgrove - a site that initially intimidated me but is now one which I thoroughly enjoy. It was a bit of a battle with the weather. I didn't mind the showers but the stiff breeze presented the usual difficulties and I have had to bin some potentially good images. I was looking for Small Blues when a movement in the grass caught my attention. I initially thought it was a Small Blue which had just emerged but he seemed to be stuck in a clump of grass which was hindering him pumping up his wings. I gently freed him wondering if the wings would expand on my finger. They didn't :( . I gently placed him on a flower. It wasn't until I viewed the shots that I realised he was victim of a spider attack!!!! I can't believe I inadvertently picked one up! Need to go to Specsavers!
P1230126ad.jpg
P1230128ad.jpg
The next surprise was the female Common Blues. Over the last few years locally the female Common Blues have been getting more and more blue. Well, the 3 I saw here rivalled anything I have seen before and were quite extreme:
P1230236ad.jpg
P1230166ad.jpg
I saw about half a dozen Holly Blues including this egg laying female (egg just laid easily visible):
P1230111ad.jpg
The best surprise for me was seeing a couple of Green Hairstreaks egg laying on dog wood and gorse:
P1230241ad.jpg
The eggs are similar to those of the Holly Blue which also lays on Dog wood:
P1230257ad.jpg
P1230244ad.jpg
P1230253ad.jpg
Between egg laying episodes she took a rest to soak up the weak sun. Perhaps this could be regarded as a GH Hammock: :lol:
P1230187ad.jpg
P1230177ad.jpg
and on the way out I found another Small Blue, not where I expected to as he was tucked away in a gorse bush.

This site is great for the Peregrins; sadly my camera isn't. I got some great views today - better than anything I have seen in the past but this poor shot is the best I could do:
P1230101ad.jpg
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Great oviposition shots, Pauline! The Holly Blue + egg is superb :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Pauline wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:23 pm You say the nicest things Otep :D I reckon butterfly wings would make a great subject for Pointillism.
Yes, I was thinking that Pauline, sort of. I was mesmerised by how the ventral wings did seem to be millions of minute dots. I will be honest, I was unfamiliar with the word Pointillism but my Google friend helped me out.

I see that you managed to find another Green Hairstreak that liked sitting in a saucer like leaf. :lol:

The female Common Blue is very blue. A very vivid colour. I hope I don't get a forum Yellow Card by writing this but I always think the female Common Blue is rather scruffy looking.

My afternoon on my sun lounger today was accompanied by the sound of a cuckoo.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Pete - I was quite frustrated as I got several shots of the Holly Blue laying that egg but given the strong breeze - well, they just weren't worth posting on this site.

You won't get any criticism from me Otep for expressing an opinion - even if I don't agree with you :) . I know my photos don't do them justice but in a last ditch attempt to convince you they are simply gorgeous here's another:
P1230198ad.jpg
I had to return to Paulsgrove today:
P1230305d.jpg
even if it was just to see more of the same - yes, Holly Blues and Green Hairstreaks egg-laying and a few more Small Blue:
P1230278ad.jpg
P1230302ad.jpg
and I think you would have to agree Otep that this is Definitely a GH hammock. She was actually hanging under it like this:
P1230299ad.jpg
but if you switch it up ..........
P1230299au.jpg
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

I am going to venture that it is more like a Green Hairstreak funfair ride Pauline. :lol:
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Pauline ,
That female Common Blue...............What a beauty !! I always look forward to the females emerging ,and probably take ten times more shots of the females ,than the males ...................Keep em' coming !!
Regards Allan.W.

Return to “Personal Diaries”