Norfolk 2022 help please.

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
SarahM

Norfolk 2022 help please.

Post by SarahM »

Hello All,

I am going to be staying with family in Loddon, Norfolk 5 - 12 June to look for Swallowtails. I have done lots of reading and know where to try for them. I now have limited time as other family members are joining us there. I am obviously delighted to be spending time with my children and grandchildren but would like to get as much out of my free time as possible. (Nobody else is interested in Butterflies sadly).

I am wondering if Grizzled Skippers are likely to still be on the wing anywhere? I have looked online at various sites but local knowledge is so much better.

I would be grateful for any help that can be given on less well known areas. Thank you.
Sarah.
Allan.W.

Re: Norfolk 2022 help please.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Sarah ,
Although it is some years since i last saw Norfolks Swallowtails , i believe they,re still seen at these sites ie;Strumpshaw fen ,How Hill and Hickling broad ,you could take a look at Millerd ,bugboy and Trevors personal diaries as i think they have all reported on them over the last couple of seasons.
Regards Allan.W.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Sarah,

Grizzled Skippers aren't particularly widespread in Norfolk. I have no local experience of them in that part of the world but it looks like the closest colonies to where you'll be staying are in the Thetford forest/Swaffham. Foulden Common and Narborough Reserve are listed on the species distribution on here
https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species ... ies=malvae
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Allan.W. wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:38 pm Hello Sarah ,
Although it is some years since i last saw Norfolks Swallowtails , i believe they,re still seen at these sites ie;Strumpshaw fen ,How Hill and Hickling broad ,you could take a look at Millerd ,bugboy and Trevors personal diaries as i think they have all reported on them over the last couple of seasons.
Regards Allan.W.
Hi Sarah!

Last year I visited all three of the sites that Allan mentions. Strumpshaw is excellent and you stand a very good chance of seeing them there. Hickling is also good, with hotspots around the site. How Hill, though, is where I drew a blank! It is a pleasant spot to visit, but there is less obvious habitat where you might turn up a Swallowtail. In addition, I believe Wheatfen (not far from the outskirts of Norwich) is pretty reliable - though I haven't been there yet.

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Sarah.

Last time I was in Norfolk was in 2018 and we stayed not far from Hickling Broad where we saw Swallowtails but mostly flying over the reedbeds and not close up for photos.
We also saw Swallowtails at Strumpshaw, pretty much scattered all over.
Unlike Dave above however, my favourite site was How Hill. On a good day there the place to be is in the wet meadow through the gate opposite the little cottage/gift shop by the river.
More details in my PD at https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB/v ... start=2440

Sorry, I cant help regarding Norfolk Grizzlies but I understand they are not very widespread there.

Cheers,

Neil.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

As far as I am aware there are only two places for Grizzled Skippers in Norfolk - Foulden Common, and a small stretch of the cut-off channel at Stoke Ferry.
Strumpshaw is reliable for Swallowtails but it gets very busy at the hotspots - if you can find them out on the boardwalk it’s much more rewarding. I have seen them in the damp meadow at How Hill feeding on Ragged Robin and this is a much quieter site where, if you can find one, you will likely have it to yourself.
Good luck.
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

a small stretch of the cut-off channel at Stoke Ferry.
I have found the best spot along the cut-off channel to be near where it goes under the B1160. That is some distance from the usual Stoke Ferry parking area.
Grid ref TL666996. Link to OS map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?x=566666 ... 99653&lm=0

Jack
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Apologies for the delay in responding but I have had problems trying to log in for some reason. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my request, I am very grateful to you all. :D

Allan W - Thanks for confirming their presence at some of my bookmarked sites. Thanks also for recommending the 3 P.Ds.

Bugboy - I had read about Foulden & Narborough for Grizzlies but not Thetford, so thanks for that suggestion.

Millerd - Good to hear Strumpshaw was excellent last year for you. I will definitely visit.

Neil F - Thanks for the link to your P.D. Your Swallowtail photos are stunning! Very useful info in report too.

Mark - I will be heading for your damp meadow at How Hill. I would love a Swallowtail all to myself!

Jack - Thanks for your Grid ref & link to map, very useful.

Thanks again,
Sarah.
HarassedDad

Post by HarassedDad »

Grizzled now only found at Foulden Common and the Cut-off Channel in Norfolk.

Swallowtail are best at Hickling, Strumpshaw and How Hill, but if you want a solitary experience, park at Potter Heigham church (not on a Sunday) and walk down to the back of Hickling Broad. The footpath to the right takes you along a circular path back to the church - you'll likely not see another person, but will probably see Swallowtails.
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Hi HarassedDad,

Thank you for confirming that the Grizzlies are no longer found at Narborough.

Thanks also for suggesting the P H walk, much appreciated.

Sarah.

Return to “General”