Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Work 14-03-2022

What with the first Small Torts showing at Middle Street and the weather finally feeling warm enough it seemed like today was the day to make my first lunchtime trip – a Brimstone flying across the Quad during lesson 3 added further weight to my supposition and so I resumed the routine – wolf my lunch down in between ‘Developmental Phases’ of the lesson, get all my gear ready and sign out with a minute until the bell rings signalling the start of lunch. As soon as the clanger hits the bell I’m away speed walking down the corridor and across the fields and vaulting both gates before slowing and scanning ahead of me once in the housing estate. There was only a limited return for my expenditure in energy but it was my first (yet distant) Peacock feeding up on Grape Hyacinths.
14-03-2022 1.JPG
14-03-2022 2.JPG
14-03-2022 4.JPG
14-03-2022 4a.JPG
14-03-2022 5.JPG
Once I reached the half way point of the back path I slowed by gait even more and scanned more thoroughly and before long I’d spotted a courting pair of Small Torts. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to see if the males’ persuasion would bear fruit and so I pressed on slipping on the smooth and curved mud track. Where the path kinks another Small Tort sat out in the open catching some rays and so I stopped to catch it on film/memory card before carrying on and picking up half a Small Tort by the Parrot Poo Pile.
14-03-2022 6.JPG
14-03-2022 7.JPG
As I was standing back up I saw a couple more Small Torts in the neighbouring garden and a Small White flew at me, its wings tickled my right ear and then it was away across the fields before I’d even had a chance to lift my camera. Oh well ‘seen is recorded’ and so I carried on along the track. A passing cloud meant that I didn’t find anything else of note until the very end when the cloud had drifted off to try and catch up with its friends. As I looked across the pitiful display of Grape Hyacinths I spotted a solitary Small Tort taking advantage of the meagre offering. Then it was time to turn round and restart the count of Small Torts for accuracy – on the way out I‘d racked up 7 and so with the loner at the end on the tally I retracted my footsteps and restarted counting. I spotted 2 quite close together then there was a singleton. On around the kink and there were the original courting pair; he was still whispering sweet nothings in her ear but I don’t think she’d switched her hearing aid on! Almost at the end of the track before I’d need to turn off back into the housing estate there were a second pair of Small Torts although I think they were a ‘pair’ as in there were two and not a la amour, although if they were then there were like Depp and Heard as they were knocking seven bells out of each other. The brace of Brimstone flying just behind were much more civil. That brought the recount to 8 Small Torts. The final sighting was of the Peacock, still in the distance in the same garden so I took a shot for posterity and hopefully I’ll be able to better it soon.

Here we go again
A rush to get there and back
Worth it anyway

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 15-04-2022

The following day I didn’t have anything on at lunch and so once again I ventured forth with my camera. The field didn’t produce anything and I wondered if the previous outing had all been a dream until I reached the housing estate when a Small Tort got the ball rolling. I was hanging out in one of the gardens and taking advantage of the early season naturalistic planting. I added a further brace from another garden further on but as all three were well back from the footpath and so out of reach I put my head down and motored on to the half way point. Once there I slowed down and scanned more carefully. The first Small Tort was waiting up at the kink in the path and two more went up and flew far across the field.
15-03-2022 1.JPG
As I chicaned round there was another Small Tort the Parrot Poo Pile and two poked up out of the debris slightly further on but they both went up and I lost sight of them. Concerned that there seemed extra flighty I paused, not something I’m used to doing due the time constraints of a half hour lunch, and looked ahead more carefully. In one view I was able to count 5 Small Torts which gave a more reasonable suggestion of the actual number than several fleeting glimpses when the butterflies could nip out into the field and then return slightly further along the path.
15-03-2022 2.JPG
15-03-2022 3.JPG
On the return leg I used a similar ploy and reached a total of 7 Small Torts – all of which were enjoying the floral feast in the locale of the Parrot Poo Pile. This seemed like an ideal location for the butterflies; there were two main escape routes – out across the field or over the fence and into the neighbouring gardens, plenty of nettles for egg laying, plenty of cover to roost under or sit and wait for the sun as well as plenty of Celandines and Dandelions for nectar. At one point I turned around to watch a Brimstone and managed a fairly representative shot for this time of year WINK. With time ticking ever onwards I carried on back down the path adding another three Small Torts on the way back to the half way point and three more (1 fly-by and two together in a garden) as I speed walked through the housing estate. This meant that the overall totals were 14 on the way out and 13 on the return leg – best to go for the 13 to be on the side of accuracy…
15-03-2022 4.JPG
15-03-2022 5.JPG
15-03-2022 6.JPG
Work 17-03-2022

With Rock Soc fitted in between the sunny-ish days I was off out again. Sunniy-ish was quite appropriate as the sun kept hiding behind the clouds for extended periods and whilst I’d been on duty during at the start of the day and during tutor time the chill in the air was palpable enough to warrant the wearing of the winter jacket. Come lunch time the sun was threatening to throw of the shackles of shade that the cloud had bound it in and so I set off but kept following the fences at the edge of the field instead. At the end of the field there were two Small Torts sitting out the cooler weather in the relative insulation of the clumps of straw in the unmown section.
17-04-2022 1.JPG
17-04-2022 2.JPG
After catching up with them and leaving them shivering as the sun was once again cloud bound I walked along the back fence peering into the field on my right and the gardens on my left. The sun remained hidden behind the cloud and so by the time I’d reached the half way point the day tally stubbornly remained at 2 Small Torts. As often in these cases I looked imploringly upwards but there weren’t even the slightest of chinks in the cloud and everything was bathed in a dull light giving them an overall grey appearance. Still on only 2 Small Torts I reached the end and turned back…as I wandered I felt an infinitesimal rise in the temperature and things started looking less grey and more like the true colours. In the haze I could make out a Small Tort, then a second and then a third all of which were hanging around in the ‘ideal section’ on one side of the Parrot Poo Pile. I managed a few shots and then completed my walk without adding any further sightings to the Tally. Still 5 Small Torts wasn’t actually that bad considering the poor weather conditions.
17-04-2022 3.JPG
Out under a grey cloud
Wondered if it was a good call?
If it wasn’t for Small Torts
I wouldn’t have seen butterflies at all

(Thank you Albert King for the lyrical guide and to Cream for bringing my attention to it)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Glad you enjoyed a Small tort fest, Wurzel :) we've only seen a couple here so far :?
kevling

Post by kevling »

Hi Wurzel,

Nice set of Small Tortoiseshell images. It's encouraging to have seen so many many reports recently, including here in sunny Suffolk.

Kind Regards
Kev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Maximus :D The 'fest' turned into a bit of a road show as I got lucky with Small Torts as several sites 8)
Cheers Kevling :D It is encouraging as they've had quite a downturn in recent years :D

Work 18-03-2022

In order to catch up I had considered writing up the entire weeks’ worth of sightings but then when I was both thinking and looking back at my notes and my shots the Friday seemed a little bit special so I felt it deserved a write up all of its own.

It started off pretty normally with Small Torts being the order of the day. I could tell that something was happening though as there were only two all the way to the half way point – one along the field at the edge of the Housing Estate and one in one of the gardens. As I left the tarmac to cross the bank where the track starts at the half way point I spied a bright ginger, almost marmalade butterfly. It had been a while since I’d last seen one so it took slightly longer than usual for the neurons to reconnect and fire but I got there in the end. It was my first Comma of 2022. Often the ‘first sighting for the year’ of any particular species is a bit of a blur but this one behaved impeccably allowing me to get in really close so that I could appreciate the glorious and generous ginger-ness in full.
18-03-2022 1.JPG
18-03-2022 2.JPG
After I’d had my full of shots I strolled satiated around the corner and along the track from the half way point. Right on the corner a Small Tort went up but then just on from this, in one of the miniature scallops I spotted the second reason for treating this write up as a special one. There down on the deck were a pair of Small Torts locked in the subtle warfare of courtship. Nothing particularly special about that, nice yes but nothing that unusual. However one of the Small Torts was quite distinctly different from the norm. It was much paler, looking more peach in colour than the traditional blood orange colour. The difference showed up even more when the cloud momentarily covered the sun where in the thin light the paler individual seemed to glow compared to the brittle brightness of the other. I’ve scanned though certain websites and think that it might be ab.lutea for what that kind of thing is worth, I was just happy to bear witness to the wonder of variation.
18-03-2022 3.JPG
18-03-2022 4.JPG
18-03-2022 5.JPG
More than chuffed with the sighting I strolled onto the end noting another Comma on the way and a further three Small Torts. My mind still somewhat in a blur I made the return leg and tallied up as I went; single Small Tort, 2 Small torts, a Comma broke the monotony (if you can call it such) of Small Torts before things returned to normal with another brace of Torties and a Brimstone thrown in for good measure. On the cusp of the half way point there were 2 more Small Torts ganging up on a Peacock and the tally finished up with a final three Small Torts in the Housing Estate gardens. For me this all passed me by as my mind kept replaying the sighting of the unusual coloured Small Tort.
18-03-2022 7.JPG
18-03-2022 8.JPG
Here came the Commas
Adding a ginger flavour
And a Small Tort star

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That pale peachy-coloured Tortoiseshell is definitely different, Wurzel - it would have been good to have seen it last summer when it was new, but it is still quite a striking insect. :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

You've had a real Small Tort fest this Spring, Wurzel. :mrgreen:
With so many around no wonder you found an oddity, never seen one that pale.

I've booked an overnight stay for Cotley in about 4 weeks time :D .

Can't wait!.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D It was even more striking in the field - the camera made it look a little brighter/darker than it appeared to the naked eye :D
Cheers Trevor :D Cotley should be good this year and the way things are going by around 4 weeks things should really be hotting up 8) I can't wait either :D

Middle Street 19-03-2022

The good weather continued and so I took my camera with me when I walked over to Waitrose to do the shopping. I didn’t see any butterflies but a Buff-tailed Bumblebee was up early and bathing in the early morning sun. In fact I didn’t see anything of a lepidopteran fashion during the whole of my shopping expedition and so chores done, work done and with lunch eaten and washed up I wandered over to Middle Street. A Small Tort by the Mill and a Brimstone in what I like to think of as the ‘Border Garden’ (as the borders around the wall are alive with blooms) I took as a good omen of what was to come…
19-03-2022 1.JPG
Once on site I made my way directly down the back track picking up a Small Tort, then another and then two together in a very short time. When I reached the little scallop by the old woodpile I stood back and enjoyed the spectacle of 5 Small Torts all flying together along with a slightly smaller and more ginger Comma that flitted from one Small Tort to the next harrying each and metaphorically nipping at their heels like a playful puppy. I carried on round to the Hotspot field where I was greeted by yet another Small Tort as well as a Peacock and then I carefully picked my way through the swathes of dead reeds and grasses, clinging briar and bramble as I dove down into the dried up pond. This lower area is like a bowl and offers plenty of sun whilst at the same time it’s sheltered from the wind and the butterflies like to sit at the bottom and charge themselves up. So it was today and I spotted a Comma in between a brace of Peacocks.
19-03-2022 2.JPG
19-03-2022 3.JPG
19-03-2022 4.JPG
19-03-2022 6.JPG
19-03-2022 7.JPG
With some nice images emblazoned on my memory and memory card I carefully clambered back out making sure where possible to snake my feet down into the holes in the sward that I’d made on my entry and once more on more secure footing of the field I quickly skirted round the corner and made my way to the Dips via the Bank Path. Just before I reached the cross paths I caught up with another Small Tort – they seemed to be everywhere this afternoon so perhaps the sun though the week had brought them out en mass? With this thought still fleeting across neurones I entered Dip 1 adding a further 2 Small Torts to the burgeoning Tally. The first was on the first corner of the Dip, in a little bijou Dip created by a wall of Bramble, a Dippette almost and the second was on the far side. While I was there I checked out under the Mat and there was a Common Shrew. I took one shot and then put the Mat back down before the Shrew knew what was going on. Just to be sure I stayed as still as possible and strained my ears but didn’t hear any rustling that meant it had ‘done one’. I climbed back up and strolled along the Bank path in a zig zag fashion so I was able to check both sides. Between Dip 2 and 3 I watched as a Brimstone made it onto the site tally as it was buffeted busily along by the breeze which had picked up slightly. The same breeze also carried a Small Tort over from the footy field and down into the relative shelter of Dip 3. At the far end the finished off the first run of the count with another two Small Torts in the little end section. I took a quick gander at my note book and by my reckoning I’d seen a maximum of 16 Small Torts (12 allowing for double counting) and 2 a piece of Peacock and Comma and a single Brimstone. Not a bad haul!
19-03-2022 8.JPG
19-03-2022 9.JPG
19-03-2022 10.JPG
19-03-2022 14.JPG
19-03-2022 15.JPG
19-03-2022 16.JPG
19-03-2022 17.JPG
To check this I started back to examine the same parts of the site and see if I could tally up the tally starting with the 2 that I’d found in the end of the site. I took the Bank Path and started for the Dips. I swiftly added two more one in Dip 3 and the other on the Bank Path itself and then I decided to have a closer look in Dip 2. I don’t usually check here but what with it being smaller than Dip 1 and with the bank path and trees on the other three sides as well as being lower it’s more sheltered from the breeze. It certainly seemed to be in favour today as I counted 2 each of Small Tort and Peacock as well as a belligerent Comma. I wondered if these were the same two Peacocks from earlier that had been hanging out down in the dried up pond? One however was definitely a different individual and this could clearly be seen even when it was in flight as it was missing most of one of its forewings. Back in Dip 1 there were four Small Torts and a third Peacock and while I was there I felt the breeze drop so I hurried onto the Hotspot which, Dried Pond aside, it quite exposed. As I cut across the top of the Bank path two Small Torts went up before my feet and as I approached the Hotspot I saw a Small Tort and a Peacock out basking. Once more carefully picking my way down into the Dried Pond I spotted a Comma occupying the very centre. It was sitting looking a little like a military man, alert and watchful with its wings held like the sides of a tent. A Brimstone passed through and then all hell broke loose as a second Comma dared to enter the lair of Major General Comma. As my count was effectively over (13 Small Tort, 4 Peacock, 4 Comma, 2 Brimstone) I could sit back and enjoy the argy bargy and the scuffles of first the warring Commas and then the battling Small Tort and Peacock up on the flat of the Hotspot. The later fights were more spectacular with the aggressive Small Tort doing strafing runs across the grass tops to irritate the Peacock into action.
19-03-2022 18.JPG
I eventually tore myself away from the aerial antics and nipped back to Dip 2 to see if I could catch up with the Peacocks there. The two Small Torts were still sitting pretty much where I’d left them earlier but I could only see one Peacock. When ‘Ole Chunk’ reappeared one of the Small Torts got a little confused and chased after it. There was the usual zig and zagging around and then a spiral or two but Ole Chunk landed in one of the surrounding trees followed by the Small Tort. It then started trying to put the moves on the Peacock and when Ole Chunk moved to a slightly lower branch the Small Tort took this as an invitation to get in really close and personal! In the end Old Chunk flew off leaving the Small Tort on the branch looking a little red faced.
19-03-2022 20.JPG
19-03-2022 21.JPG
19-03-2022 22.JPG
19-03-2022 23.JPG
19-03-2022 24.JPG
As I started back I realised that I hadn’t covered all of the areas twice – I’d missed out the Wood Pile and when I got there I was again treated to the delightful aerial display of 5 Small Torts all on the wing at once – it was mesmerising but after a while I had to pull myself away as trying to follow tall that was going on was making me a little dizzy! The journey back wasn’t fruitless either with 2 Small Torts on the garden on the corner, a Peacock in the Border Garden, a Small Tort at the Mill and finally a Small Tort at the end of the road at Harcourt. What an afternoon!
19-03-2022 25.JPG
19-03-2022 26.JPG
March at Middle Street
Small Torts in ascendency
A joy to behold!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your Small Tort fest continues. After a promising start around here,
I haven't seen one for weeks. Maybe the hibernators have passed on
and we are waiting for their offspring.

Great report ,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's about three year's worth of Small Tortoiseshells for me all seen in one afternoon, Wurzel! :mrgreen: And a healthy portion of everything else as well - great to see. :)

Looking forward to a day out in Wiltshire before too long... :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

All those Small Torts are already like a distant memory now all the other spring species are coming out in droves! Mammals aren't my strong point but how sure are you that's a Common Shrew? Looks like a Water Shrew to me!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I had my annual wander round Larkhill/Woodhenge yesterday. The Brimstones were out in good numbers. They must surely be breeding on the bank between the picnic area at Woodhenge and the A-road - several males were in search mode though did not find the female who was having a long think about ovipositing on one of the shrubs.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I reckon that's what's happened Trevor - the Small Torts at work and my local patches hung around for a while but then all of a sudden (over night almost) their numbers suddenly dropped to single figures - they'd either dispersed elsewhere or had 'done their thang' :D
Cheers Dave :D :D It seemed to be a very productive early spring - and some of the species certainly needed it :D
Cheers Bugboy :D I need to brush up on my mammals but having had a quick google (before I'd have had to wait for the library to open :shock: :lol: ) you're spot on, a lifer for me that is so cheers for the ID :D
Cheers Matsukaze :D It's great around that area - I regularly count double figures of various whites on my car journey home. The Woodhenge site is great for Marbled Whites if you can get to visit again during their flight 8)

May 2022
Hopefully the weather will cheer up slightly and we'll have as good a May as last year :D
05 2022.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

LoVe the calendar Wurzel, come to a stop here, my Daughters got Covid :cry: hope fully she'll be better soon Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Wurzel wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:23 pm
Hopefully the weather will cheer up slightly and we'll have as good a May as last year :D

Wurzel
Now I say this with fingers thoroughly crossed, but the current forecast seems to show at least ten days of good weather coming up, maybe even longer.

Instead of second-guessing which days to go out on, we may be spoilt for choice. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I said it on your PD as well but every little helps - I hope your daughter gets well soon :?
Cheers Dave :D "Instead of second-guessing which days to go out on, we may be spoilt for choice. :)"those of us that don't have to work maybe :? I might be able to wangle a few trips past Mrs Wurzel :wink: - maybe do a triple header or three :D

Five Rivers 20-03-2022

Sooner or later I’ll start venturing forth a little more but at the start and end of the season my local sites offer all the same species within walking distance (or a 5 minute drive at most) so having checked out Middle Street on the day before I thought it best to make hay while the sun shone and so I made for Five Rivers. All was quiet thought the housing estate and along the river path from Waitrose. There weren’t any Red Admirals hanging around Brambles or any early Specklies in the little clearing just off the Town Path. I didn’t see my first butterfly until I was on the Wooden Bridge where there was a Small Tort fluttering about on the far side. First butterfly found and photographed is always a relief but I’d need a few more to warrant a ‘post’ hence I carried on, diving down along the shaded river path and making my way across the grass and through the Glades which were quiet apart from a pair of Comma that took it in turns to instigate a bit of a barney.
20-03-2022 1.JPG
As I broke free from the Glades I scanned ahead and saw that the Council had been a little vigorous with the weedbasher as the Brambles that had lined the banks and margins of Comma Corner were gone, decimated and the orangey brown twigs underfoot and a faint woody smell were the only signs that there once was a prime butterfly feeding station here. The butterflies seemed a little forlorn and didn’t quite know where to put themselves instead they took to badgering each other. It made getting any shots of the Small Tort and brace of Commas quite tricky as just as I’d get the shot lined up one of the others would fly in and then they’d both go spiralling up.
20-03-2022 2.JPG
20-03-2022 3.JPG
20-03-2022 4.JPG
20-03-2022 5.JPG
Leaving the scene of ecological carnage behind me I strode down the bank and round the corner towards the Banks following a Comma down and round. As I did I spied a flash of White, a Small White in fact and so I followed it forward and back along the first section of the Banks willing it to stop. Eventually and almost unbelievably it did but not before I’d caught up with 2 Small Torts and a Peacock and wrecked my calves. As if to make up for giving me the run around it then sat nicely for me on a couple more instances. Chuffed I carried on along the Banks intending to count as I went but a second Small White caught my attention and this one lead me on a merry dance which ended up with my jogging and running back and forth before reaching the end of the Banks where it shot off down the hill and disappeared into the reeds. In between watching the Small White I’d noted down a further Comma, Peacock and 2 Small Torts along the way and as I was now at the end of the track I stared around me and surveyed the scene.
20-03-2022 6.JPG
20-03-2022 7.JPG
20-03-2022 8.JPG
20-03-2022 9.JPG
20-03-2022 10.JPG
20-03-2022 11.JPG
Before me the grass was starting to look more luscious and the sward was increasing and there were three Small Torts jostling each other for the prime basking spot on the dry, well-trodden and hardened track. Once I’d totalled up the butterflies all that remained was to now turn around and walk back to do the checking recount and so I did. Back along the Banks tallying as I went starting with the three jostling Small Torts. Next was a Peacock, then 3 Small Torts. A Peacock hung around the Banks where a thin line of trees tries sets off at 90 degrees from the main line of shrubs and heads down the Banks to the river. The final stretch was occupied by a pair of Commas each with their own little Launchpad of bare earth. When I reached the end I again retraced my steps and cut up and around to Comma Corner where sure enough there were two Commas. On the final stretch down towards and on through the Glades I missed the Commas but there was a Small Tort by the Wooden Bridge. If this was the original then it had obviously gone ten rounds with a huge foe, something about the size of a Sparrow as it was mighty battered. In the end the haul for the day, erring on the side of caution, was 10 Small Torts, 2 Peacocks, 5 Comma and 2 Small Whites. It was nice to add something new to the annual Tally.
20-03-2022 12.JPG
20-03-2022 13.JPG
Lots of back and forth
Pleasant white against the green
Small White on the list.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Working Week begins...

Work 22-03-2022

Another week loomed before me and the Monday was pretty full on so with the end of the 12 lesson spread before me I grabbed my camera and headed out to shift the work stuff out of my head. The butterflies must have sensed my need for to nature therapy as, unusually, there were two Small Torts hanging around the gateway that leads down though the housing estate. Then on the walk down through said estate there were 3 more Small Torts in various gardens – I was onto 5 Small Torts and I hadn’t even reached their preferred haunt. I added another 4 from the Half-way Point to the Parrot Poop Pile as well as getting a record shot of a Peacock and then a further 7 from there to the end of the track; 16 on the outward journey!
22-03-2022 1.JPG
22-03-2022 2.JPG
22-03-2022 3.JPG
22-03-2022 4.JPG
Turning round I reset my inner counter and away I went, the only slight dampener being that the butterflies were very jittery and twitchy and didn’t really want to sit still. The breeze didn’t help either as it pulled the butterflies about like little ragdoll. Still I pressed on and walked back along the narrow track back towards the Parrot Poop Pile muttering names and numbers under my breath as they fell under my gaze: “Small Tort, 2 Small Torts, 3, 4 ,5 Small Tort, Peacock, 6, 7, 8, 9 Small Torts, Peacock, BRIMSTONE, 10, 11 Small Torts, millennium hand and shrimp!” As I walked and numerated I also found a new appreciation for the humble Dandelion as they seem to offer a plentiful supply of nectar and really ‘hold’ the butterfly so allowing plentiful shots. Also the colour makes a fantastic backdrop really brightening up the butterflies natural colours. After the Parrot Poop Pile I pressed on slightly more rapidly as my time was running down but not so rapidly that I missed counting the 3 Small Torts up to the half-way pint and another three in the gardens. All told the tally of Small Torts for the return leg reached 17 Small Torts and with the 2 from earlier on the school field itself the final total was 19.Not bad for a few gardens a footy field and a tiny path! Most importantly as I stepped back into the gloom of the Lab it wasn’t as gloomy and I felt like I’d had the blinkers removed and my brain had been given a massage.
22-03-2022 5.JPG
Work 23-03-2022

After the success of the previous day I decided to check out the other side of the School Field and the other border hedge and instead of making straight for the gate I followed the fence round past the Nursery School and made for the Pits. Come the summer Golden Skippers and Marbled Whites will frolic here and Meadow Browns and Ringlets will play hide and seek amongst the tall grasses but now it looked worse for wear and all was quiet. In fact I didn’t see a single butterfly along the entire length of the back hedge and I only broke the days Duck when I reached the far corner of the field by the opening to the back path. Here I spotted a Peacock and a brace of Small Torts before I went off site and followed the narrow track down towards the Half-way Point. Again the butterflies failed to materialise but I kept checking anyway.
Things picked up again with a Small Tort along the first stretch and then 8 more from the PPP to the end. There was something in the air though as I found 2 sets of courting Small Torts and a courting couple of Oil Beetles. The butterflies’ courtship was quite elegant and almost chaste compared to that of the Beetles. The males would sit close and shiver their wings or gently caress the females’ wings with theirs or their antennae. With the Beetles the mismatch in size made it look like the male just holds on until the female gets tired carrying him and succumbs to his charms.
23-03-2022 1.JPG
23-03-2022 2.JPG
On the return leg it all kicked off…up to the PPP I counted 11 Small Torts but a Brimstone fluttered past as did a Small White and a brace of Peacocks deemed to show themselves. There was more of this from the PPP to the Half-way Point as 4 more Small Torts and 3 Peacocks all put in an a appearance. I don’t know where they’d been, possibly sitting hidden away quietly in the shade awaiting the return of the sun but it was great that they’d all crawled (possibly literally) out of the woodwork. The tally was further bolstered with another two Small Torts; one on the corner and the final one in one of the gardens, finally ending on a maximum of 19 Small Torts, 6 Peacocks, and singletons of Brimstone and Small White. Looks like the Commas emerge and then disperse quickly as they again didn’t show today?
23-03-2022 3.JPG
23-03-2022 4.JPG
23-03-2022 5.JPG
23-03-2022 6.JPG
23-03-2022 7.JPG
Looking back on the photos I’d witnessed most of the stages of the imago from fresh to slightly worn, egg-laying and ragged and so tired they were on their last 6 legs. The only missing ‘chapter’ was the pair in cop – but then I only had 25 Minutes for the whole trip, I didn’t have hours to sit and wait patiently…maybe one day.
When out pops the sun
They crawl out of the woodwork
Boosting the tally…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 25-03-2022

After the recent great run of form the Small Torts had enjoyed I expected another veritable feast when I set out for a Friday foray. I wasn’t too concerned when I didn’t spot any Small Torts (or in fact any butterflies at all) as I sauntered through the housing estate but I was slightly perplexed when I discovered on a single Small Tort by the time I’d reached the end of the half way point on the corner before the PPP. At the PPP a Beefly actually sat still long enough for both the approach and also some shots and by the time I’d reached the end of the ‘transect’ I’d only added another two Small Torts. Where had they all gone – it had only been 48 hours since my last visit?
25-03-2022 1.JPG
25-03-2022 2.JPG
I turned round and started the return leg hoping that they’d all pop out of the wood pile cheering “Surprise!” However the best I could manage was a single Small Tort on the bank that saw me and disappeared into the field and a Peacock deep in someone’s garden. It didn’t get any better really back at the PPP, the usual squabbling Torts gone and only 2 in sight. As Ieant in for a few shots of one the possible reason for the lack of Torties may have presented itself to me. The butterfly I was shooting was arching its abdomen around looking to lay. Perhaps the Small Torts had already met their Biological imperative? This would mean that the males may have succumbed to exhaustion after holding and fighting for a territory and then undergoing the protracted courtship whilst the females may have dispersed to pastures new to find suitable spots to secrete away the next generation...just a thought. I pondered this on the walk back though the housing estate which was punctuated with a final Small Tort – possibly the swan song for this side of the season?
25-03-2022 3.JPG
25-03-2022 4.JPG
Mystery in Pewsey
Where have all the Small Torts gone?
Their bit is all done?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to know the Marsh Frits have started in Wilts, thanks for the info.
I am planning to visit from Mon. 23rd if the weather gods permit.
Looking forward to your PBF shots.

Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Fingers crossed that the 'nice weather' they keep forecasting eventually arrives :roll: :wink:

Five Rivers 26-03-2022

With all the chores completed and a hefty chunk of the marking done there nothing else for it but to grab my camera and take a walk over to Five Rivers to see how things were shaping up. I had high hopes of maybe catching up with another Small White and maybe picking up my first Specklie so as I strolled along the riverside path I was extra vigilant. There were the odd moments when I thought that I’d struck it lucky as one of the old leaves from last year finally succumbed and drifted down due to the inevitable attraction of gravity but I didn’t see an actual butterfly until I reached the Glades when a Brimstone shot by in a hurry to get who know where to do who knows what? When I reached the large Bramble bush there was one of my target species waiting for me, it had almost rolled out the red carpet or so it felt like. A beautiful fresh Specklie with just the tiniest of nicks in the fringe. After weeks of bright and vivid butterflies it was nice to see something more modest, more subtle and less in your face and so I was more chuffed with the humble little Specklie than I’d thought possible. Shortly it was interrupted by a brash show-off Comma and the Specklie nipped off into the foliage leaving me with its more ‘in yer face’ cousin.
26-03-2022 1.JPG
26-03-2022 3.JPG
26-03-2022 4.JPG
On the bank by Comma Corner a Small Tort sat forlornly on the bits and bobs that had previously been a marvellous collection of bramble and briar with plenty of nectar, a huge selection of handy hibernation nooks and crannies and a nice line in basking spots. At the Corner itself a Peacock and a Comma battled it out for the prime basking spot on the little track that runs into the spinney. Another similar couple were to be found in the scallop behind Comma Corner. Having got some shots on the memory card I carried on my wanderings back down the small slope and onto the track along the Banks and I started counting in earnest.
26-03-2022 5.JPG
26-03-2022 6.JPG
26-03-2022 7.JPG
26-03-2022 8.JPG
I worked along the first part of the Banks noting a Brimstone and a Small White both of which were added to the note book only and not the memory card. Slightly further on, just round the Hawthorn which seems to be migrating away from the line of trees and it opens out a little a Peacock and a Comma were holding their respective territories and occasionally winding the other up by veering ever so slightly over the invisible but all important line. I carried on my eyes constantly darting left right and ahead as I picked out various butterflies which were perched on the bare patches of soil or on handy perches and in doing so added a Small Tort, 3 Commas and 2 Peacocks just as I was approaching the final section I added another Small Tort. It was interesting to see that the Small Torts were also starting to wan here just like as at work whereas the Peacocks were picking up the Vanessid slack as it were. On the final stretch after the bench things seemed to quieten down until I neared the corner where all the butterflies (2 Peacock a Comma and a Small Tort) were crammed into a tiny part of the hedge and the path. Having rounded the corner I briefly checked out the Back Path where a Comma and a Small White were busy. I followed the Small White for a while, eventually ending right back at the start where it encountered another Small White. They both went spiralling upwards locked in a very ‘heated discussion’ much to my chagrin having followed it back for so long. One, I couldn’t tell if it was the first or the second, shot off over the river whilst the other drifted back down and paused on a large leaf just long enough for a stealthy approach and a handful of shots before it was off again. I managed to give pursuit but only as far as Comma Corner where I lost it in the Spinney.
26-03-2022 9.JPG
26-03-2022 11.JPG
26-03-2022 12.JPG
26-03-2022 14.JPG
After this, and with tired calves, I pressed on to check out the middle part of the reserve. I rarely look here as most times it’s like a green desert but the large clump of Hawthorns that have grown up since I’ve been visiting now offer a little oasis in the desert. On the way to check it out I found two Small Torts making their way towards it and a Peacock and Small Tort that were almost there and a Comma, nestled deep within the blossom, already at journeys end.
26-03-2022 15.JPG
I then climbed back up to the path that runs along the top of the Banks and followed it as it dove down to the Bench on the Banks. As I scanned around and shuffled along I started noting; Peacock, 2 Commas sparring, Peacock, Small Tort and a Comma. By now I’d reached the End and the final little stretch offed up three Commas in one shot; 2 in the bush and one on the deck. I now turned round and started back. There were two Peacocks near the bench as well as a dead one. Next came a Small Tort and the two Commas still deeply embroiled in their squabble. I spotted a Small White, then a second and three was a third in the distance flying along the river. As if to wave me goodbye a Peacock and a Comma circled me as I stepped away from the Banks and back onto the main track that wends its way along the river and through the Glades. Speaking of which it became apparent to me that the Specklie and Comma had both learnt the mystical method of binary fission for as I entered the Glades once more there were now two of each where formerly there had been one!
26-03-2022 16.JPG
26-03-2022 17.JPG
26-03-2022 19.JPG
26-03-2022 21.JPG
Here came spring proper
Ushered in by brown and cream
Welcome dear Specklie

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”