March 2022

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

March 2022

Post by David M »

We're off and running after a couple of decent days in February, so let's hope March doesn't have any nasty weather surprises for us.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: March 2022

Post by Vince Massimo »

I have had another report from Dave Harris of Newhaven, Sussex. He has been monitoring Small White and Large White larvae which have been feeding on Nasturtium in his garden. Pupations have been taking place since the beginning of January and he confirms that today, a Large White larva pupated.

This is the latest reported pupation that I have seen for either of these species.

Vince
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Not a butterfly, but had an encounter with a wood mouse at lunchtime yesterday (which I've just appreciated was technically February, making this sighting even less relevant to March butterflies).

Sitting behind greenhouse #5, I threw my apple core to the fence line as usual. They've always disappeared by mid-morning break the next day, so I know something's appreciating them.

Yesterday though, less than 5 minutes after I threw it, I saw the core rise up and roll forward seemingly by itself and then I could just make out something dragging it backwards. It couldn't get it through the fence though, where it got jammed into the mesh. The mouse continued nibbling it from the other side of the fence. I took this snap whilst still sitting down, but got up and advanced very slowly to try and get a better shot.....but it shot off like brown stuff off a garden implement.

Photo not great, but the little chap or chapess is just to the left of the base of the post.

And yes, no sign of the core this morning.
Attachments
DSC07337.JPG
Medard

March 04-03-2022

Post by Medard »

A Brimstone decided that spring had arrived early at Cheddar, my first of the year.
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
David M

Post by David M »

Good sunshine until 1pm here in Swansea so I visited Lower Kilvey Hill and Dan-y-Graig cemetery.

Three butterflies seen. Two were Small Tortoiseshells:
4.SmT2(1).jpg
The other one was a big surprise - the earliest Speckled Wood I've ever seen:
4.SpckWd1(1).jpg
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

(posted in another forum thread in error and unable to delete!)

Three Red Admirals and a Small Tortoiseshell this lunchtime. Bewley Common, Wiltshire
4th March
4th March
4th March
4th March
4th March
4th March
4th March
4th March
4th March
4th March
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

the first butterfly of 2022 !

this morning in the Knot Garden at Buckden Towers Cambridgeshire.

the garden is sheltered by high brick walls and soon warms up on a day like today.

this Peacock appeared and enjoyed the sunshine on a stone wall
51926418840_d2d16175bc_c (1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A Brimstone and a Comma at Bookham today :) , plus a few still snoozing White Admiral cats.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Had my first yesterday too- a brief glimpse of a flying Peacock at Rainham RSPB.

Otherwise just Brown Hairstreak eggs this year in a west London cemetery.
David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 5th - solitary Small Tortoiseshell seen in Castle Meadows, Abergavenny.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I watched a Peacock fly across my garden today and land on the paved path. As it landed, a Robin flew from a nearby shrub, grabbed the butterfly and flew straight back into the shrub. Within seconds, the Peacock flew out of the shrub, over the path, over the hedge and was not seen again.
I did not check on the Robin’s condition.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I spotted a Peacock flying by on my local patch near Heathrow yesterday (8th), but in slightly warmer conditions today I improved on that. I first came across a Peacock basking on a sheltered stretch of path that had recently dried out in the sun.
PK1 090322.JPG
A bit further on, I saw something doing its best to mimic the pale underside of a bramble leaf: a Brimstone.
Brimstone2 090322.JPG
A bit of stronger sunshine tempted it onto the top surface of a leaf, and then into the air just as I tried to close in.
Brimstone4 090322.JPG
Passing by the same spot a little later on I found it again, better positioned. This butterfly looked absolutely fresh, with no signs of wear and tear whatsoever from the winter.
Brimstone1 090322.JPG
Finally, on my way back along the sheltered bit of path, there was a Peacock again. I suspected it was the one I'd seen earlier, but comparison of the photos shows this was actually a second individual.
PK2 090322.JPG
Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Love that part-open wing Brimstone shot, Dave. He's in excellent nick for an emerging hibernator.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Found this Comma trying to get out of my garage this lunchtime. Presumably over wintered in there. I gave it a helping hand. Melksham, Wiltshire.
10th March
10th March
10th March
10th March
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

At last some warmish sunshine and three male Brimstone patrolling the garden. Unintentionally, I disturbed the female Brimstone that has been in a privet hedge since November 11. She only flew a few metres and settled in the sunshine, within a minute one of the males discovered her. An extremely brief, fluttering courtship and they mated under a leaf, they remained joined for at least an hour.
Attachments
Brimstone, 10 March
Brimstone, 10 March
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:53 am Love that part-open wing Brimstone shot, Dave. He's in excellent nick for an emerging hibernator.
Cheers, David - it was a lovely fresh butterfly, and amazing to think it could be seven or even eight months since it emerged from the chrysalis.
Wolfson wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:44 pm At last some warmish sunshine and three male Brimstone patrolling the garden. Unintentionally, I disturbed the female Brimstone that has been in a privet hedge since November 11. She only flew a few metres and settled in the sunshine, within a minute one of the males discovered her. An extremely brief, fluttering courtship and they mated under a leaf, they remained joined for at least an hour.
That must be very gratifying to see, Wolfson - the perfect culmination to her long sojourn in the privet.

For once, I was very happy that the weather forecast was a bit adrift of the mark today (10th). There was far more sunshine and much higher temperatures in my neck of the woods - it may have reached 17 degrees at Heathrow mid-afternoon. It was no surprise to see more butterflies, with the tally including two new species for 2022: Comma and Small Tortoiseshell. In fact, the Commas were out in force - I counted seven (with a possible eighth), which is a good number for their first appearance of the year. The overall totals were:
Peacock 1
Small Tortoiseshell 1
Brimstone 3
Comma 7
A few photos...
Comma2 100322.JPG
Comma3 100322.JPG
Comma6 100322.JPG
Comma5 100322.JPG
ST1 100322.JPG
These all look in pretty good condition too.

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Wolfson wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:44 pmAt last some warmish sunshine and three male Brimstone patrolling the garden. Unintentionally, I disturbed the female Brimstone that has been in a privet hedge since November 11. She only flew a few metres and settled in the sunshine, within a minute one of the males discovered her. An extremely brief, fluttering courtship and they mated under a leaf, they remained joined for at least an hour.
That's a very satisfying outcome, Wolfson. Seeing Brimstones in-cop is a rare treat at any time but to know that one of them has overwintered in your own garden just about makes it perfect! :)
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Thank you David & Dave, it was a real treat being able to watch her overwinter and hopefully progress her line. The speed that the male found her was impressive, I now understand the purpose of the incessant patrolling of the males in spring that photographers find so frustrating.
David M

Post by David M »

Saw my first Peacock of the year in the woodland by the Gower Inn at Parkmill early this afternoon. There was also a Small Tortoiseshell.
13.Pck1(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good spells of sunshine, light winds and 13 degrees or so near Heathrow today (14th). A walk just before midday turned up three Commas and a Brimstone. As with the others I've seen, winter seems to have been kind to them.
Comma3 140322.JPG
Comma1 140322.JPG
Brimstone2 140322.JPG
Dave

Return to “Sightings”