Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Interesting that you say that as there were a few other Holly Blues down but they were all keeping away from the 'pair" :)
Cheers Trevor :D I have seen them there on the last day of the summer term before (about 21st July?) so if the weather plays ball (a bit of cloud to make them cool down) the open wing shots could be in the bag 8) :D
Cheers Goldie :D Good to here that you've started early! I'm having my first Xmas beer tonight courtesy of Secret Santa 8) :D

Perham Down 03-08-2021

After the success at Shipton I refreshed the coffee mug, cranked up Maiden and set off “onwards and upwards to ole Perham Down” (to the tune of Roger Whitaker’s hit). Once my car was safely abandoned on the right side of the ‘Warning no vehicles past this point’ and ‘Unexploded Ordinance’ signs I set off across the series of fields along the foot of the Down. On the journey across the swishing grasses a few Smessex , Hedgies, Whites and Meadow Browns flew in the appropriate micro habitats but I put my head down and made for the gentle slopes at the far end of the Down as time was ticking ever onwards. As I started up the slope I spotted a couple of Chalkhills something I hadn’t expected to see here though I didn’t know why I’d thought that. I took a few shots but really didn’t want to get too distracted by them as I was here to try for Silver-spots and with the pleasant temperatures and strong sun I had a feeling that they would play hard to get!
03-08-2021a 1.JPG
Once I’d reached the familiar Hotspot I set to wandering backwards and forwards along the trackways between the scratchy and spiky taller clumps of vegetation. As expected the males that I saw didn’t hang about and in the early afternoon sun they were long gone almost as soon as I realised that I’d seen them. To be fair I’d only been here a couple of minutes so I stopped and waited and then the Silver-spots came to me. After a few shots though they twigged and again they disappeared. Unfortunately a cloud chose that moment to cover over the Down and the Silver-spots were even harder to relocate in the coolness. The few butterflies that were still active were quite amenable. In amongst the odd Brimstone (which flipped onto their sides to avoid detection rather than flying away) a trio of vanessids all show up; first a Peacock, next a Red Admiral and the grand finale was a surprisingly active Painted Lady. That’s the thing about the Aristos though; they don’t like the press and so shy away from cameras hence I didn’t manage any shots of them. To make up for it though a female Common Blue posed nicely revealing a ludicrous amount of blue for a lady to be wearing!
03-08-2021a 2.JPG
03-08-2021a 3.JPG
03-08-2021a 4.JPG
With the coming of the sun the butterflies strode forth once more and so I could revert to hunting the tiny, fast moving little bleeders. They’re still hard work, more times than not taking to the wing just as I’m lining the shot up but in the end I manage to get something on the memory card. As I focused in I saw that it was a nicely marked and reasonably fresh female. She was joined by a couple of other females, these being of the Chalkhill variety which were all skulking about and trying to keep a low profile away from the probably maddening advances of the marauding males. Another female Silver-spot cropped up and this one had me confused for a moment. She was only lightly marked with so few markings that at first I wondered just for a second if this was actually a female Large Skipper – however when she closed up there were the silver spots shining out and almost blindingly obvious.
03-08-2021a 5.JPG
03-08-2021a 6.JPG
03-08-2021a 7.JPG
03-08-2021a 8.JPG
03-08-2021a 9.JPG
Leaving her in peace I took to wandering back and forth along the side of the slope. I started using the technique that I’s worked out on my previous visit. It quickly paid off with a cracking male, although it’s ‘cracking-ness’ wasn’t immediately obvious; at first it was just a golden blur which I watched for as long as I could and then when I lost it scanned just to the left and right of where I’d last seen it and there it was feeding away. It looked in very fine fettle even from a distance and after it found a large nectar source this was even more apparent. It actually turned into a bit of a poser and would fly very short distances before landing perfectly poised before an eye catching background. It felt like all my Silver-spot shots had come at once so I just clicked away and enjoyed the moment – the hassle of sifting through the hundreds of image would be a problem for a rainy day (which in fact was the case)!
03-08-2021a 10.JPG
03-08-2021a 13.JPG
03-08-2021a 14.JPG
03-08-2021a 15.JPG
03-08-2021a 16.JPG
03-08-2021a 18.JPG
Chuffed with such a successful trip I decided to head home and get back earlier than planned so as to get a partial refund of Brownie points and so I set off doing my best to ignore the playful Chalkhills, a few Smessex at the foot of the Down itself and a Small Copper which tried to entice me back when I was only a metre or so from the car. All in all a trip of real quality species – in the words of Paul Whitehouse as the Kid; “Aren’t butterflies brilliant!”
I’ve got to leave old Perham Down
And the leavings gonna get me down

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, love your shots of the Silver Spotted Skipper, they remind me that I'll be on their patch next year :lol: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D That's good news about the Silver-spots BUT you're not allowed to one until you've seen a Grizzlie :wink: :lol:

Wiltshire Walks App – Chicksgrove 04-08-2021

It had been a fair old while since the last tie that we’d used the Wiltshire Wallks App but now that the summer was upon us we fired it up and set off for Chicksgrove in the Vale of Wardour (not to be confused with the realm of Sauron :wink:). As usual I wasn’t expecting too much, just pleasant company and a good stretch of the legs but my trusty Nikon was slung over my shoulder as we set forth along a dusty farm track accompanied along the way by a Red Admiral doing that thing that they do; flying ahead and then acting all surprised when you turn up again so they fly away ahead of you and then act all surprised when you turn up etc. The road quickly became less dusty and more metalled and then muddy as we followed it downhill past the farm and out between the fields. A Holly Blue did a little light mud puddling which was worthy enough for me to swing my camera round and try for a few shots. After this I was continually playing catch up with the girls as the field margin on my right was nicely filled with Knapweed and other wildflowers and my pauses increased in frequency and duration which in turn meant that the distance I had to run to catch-up increased too. Luckily the App came to my aid and had a funny moment trying to send us through a working wood rather than skirting around the outside. The pauses saw me building up a nice tally of species with Large White, Hedgies a plenty, Peacocks, a Small Copper and a Painted Lady as well of the obligatory Meadow Browns.
04-08-2021 1.JPG
04-08-2021 2.JPG
04-08-2021 3.JPG
04-08-2021 4.JPG
Once I’d persuaded the App to get us make on course (a little bit of percussive education) we followed a woody track which opened up to a large expanse of Parkland habitat and from there carried on along another track which skirted around part of an ancient hillfort. In the space of 100 metres we’d travelled through four distinct habitats but actually the butterflies hadn’t really changed; Meadow Browns and Hedgies abounded flitting forward and backward in the sun drenched scallops at the side of the tracks along with the occasional golden Skipper which either resolved into Small or remained Smessex. From here it was back into a pastoral habitat as the trackway cut between fields with horses eagerly hanging their heads over the hedges and fences hoping for a treat. A Peacock followed us down the track and then departed down the right hand fork whilst we went left. There were plenty of thistles on the final stretch through the ‘ranch’ and as to be expected they were frequented by Vanessids; Peacocks and Red Admirals were joined by a Painted Lady and they added a nice contrasting splash of colour to the scene as opposed to the complimentary Whites.
04-08-2021 5.JPG
04-08-2021 6.JPG
Lunchtime was nearly upon us so we decided to stop as soon as we reached the top of the hill and broke away from the nettle filled and shaded path that the app had us following after the ranch. Finally we made it up and so plonked ourselves down in the corner of the field and enjoyed out repast. While we ate a Red Admiral did a fly past and some butterflies flitted about high up in the canopy – possibly Holly Blues or more likely Purple Hairstreaks? With lunch devoured and the girls refuelled we set off again this time at a more lively pace. Once again the App had a little funny moment as it seemed to want us to walk straight across the cereal filled field? I was just thinking that perhaps it needed another talking too when I spotted a narrow strip of short turf running between the corn. A Peacock flew and landed as if to point us in the correct direction and then another one was on the other side to make sure we’d made it okay. The Public right of way continued on along the field margin and so we followed it the girls enjoying the subtle swishing noise from the breeze playing with the corn tops whilst I was amazed to see such a wide stretch ‘left to go wild’. It was packed with thistles and wildflowers and butterflies too. The first stop that I made was for a brace of Smalls – Tortoiseshell and Copper. The next patch held a nice looking Meadow Brown along with a Painted Lady and a few more Peacocks and the final and largest patch was filled with 2 Red Admirals, 4 Small Torts, 8 Peacocks as well as a few Smessex, Whites and a Silver-washed! It was a joy to behold. There to my right was a fantastic crop to feed a bunch of humans and on my left wildflowers that were serving the needs to the local wildlife in terms of food and cover, brilliant.
04-08-2021 7.JPG
04-08-2021 8.JPG
04-08-2021 9.JPG
04-08-2021 10.JPG
04-08-2021 11.JPG
04-08-2021 12.JPG
04-08-2021 13.JPG
04-08-2021 14.JPG
After this we concentrated on walking as the route took us across various fields, along narrow country lanes and through little hamlets so I was kept busy working out where we were headed but also enjoying being with the girls. We arrived at the top of a small hill and someone had placed some directors’ chairs with a cracking view if the valley below so while the girls had a breather and took in the view I went ahead a little to the church and had a look around the yard. Apart from the paths; from one gate to the other and into the building, the grass had not been mown and some of the stems were as tall as the headstones. Scanning across the grass tops I saw various golden/orange blurs of Smessex Skippers and one little white flag flew – a Common Blue. I managed a few shots and then the girls caught me up and so it was back to some light orienteering and chatting.
04-08-2021 15.JPG
04-08-2021 16.JPG
04-08-2021 17.JPG
Almost at the finish line after plenty of country lanes diving down through hamlets and closely cropped fields for grazing we strode across a low lying fields with a small stream flowing on just the other side of the wire fence. The sudden lushness from the damp stood out against the dry and dusty fields margins and I had my final purple patch of the walk with plenty of Hedgies flying and a few actually stopping as well as a Small Copper and Red Admiral. In the final field a Brimstone flew ahead of us celebrating our achievement at completing the trail and then we swung tired legs into the car and made for home and a well earnt brew.
04-08-2021 18.JPG
04-08-2021 19.JPG
04-08-2021 20.JPG
A Wild Wiltshire Walk
Butterflies ease tired legs
Much more than a walk!

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I know that I'm still in August of 2021 but with the New Year fast approaching I took some time out from writing posts and got something for next year ready...
00 Cover 2022.jpg
Have a great Christmas and a Brilliant New Year!

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy Christmas! 8) :D

Mottisfont 06-08-2021

We were due to be away over the weekend, visiting Oxford as part of a mini break (blooming Co-vid, Oxford in place of the Dordogne, almost as bad as a Morrison’s substitution) and so even though the weather was forecast to be slightly dodgy we risked a trip to Mottisfont. Despite getting an email announcing that we didn’t need to book a time slot it appears that we did but we managed to blag our way in and then we were away. First up the little path that runs alongside the crystal clear stream, the outflow from the ‘Font’. When we broke out form the shade into the sun a few Meadow Browns frolicked in a little path of unmown grass that was bejewelled with Knapweed and other wildflowers poking their heads up and through the tall grass stems. A Red Admiral did a fly-by almost enticing us onwards to the Rose garden so that’s where we headed next.
06-08-2021 2.JPG
06-08-2021 3.JPG
The first section no longer features roses but is now veg in raised beds. There were bean stacks and pyramids and in some of the other beds Cabbages were standing upright in rows as if ready for inspection. Because of this there were good numbers of Whites flying – mainly the ‘Cabbage’ (Large and Small) but also a couple of Green-veined that must have tagged along for the party. There were also Large White caterpillars of various sizes chomping their way through the Nasturtiums that lined each and every raised bed. These were sacrificial offerings for the butterflies in the hope that the actual veg in the centre of the bed would be left alone and the seemed to be working. Eventually I plan to sit down with the excellent ‘Lifecycles of British and Irish Butterflies’ and have a go at identifying the instars present. (EDIT- I did)
Instars 3 and 4?
Instars 3 and 4?
Instar 4 and 5 (on top)?
Instar 4 and 5 (on top)?
When the strolled through the middle part of the walled garden with its Roses lining the borders and the four small lawns. In here there were more of the same butterflies; a Red Admiral and a few Whites but most of the best nectar sources were out of reach to my lens being on the other side of the lawn or path which were off limits. So we carried on into the final section where the scent of Lavender wasn’t as much a gentle caress as a full on assault of the senses. There some nice bits and bobs present but the Whites seemed to have become even more flighty than usual. I’d get within a few metres and they’d be off and I can’t work out if it was me or whether Lavender doesn’t offer an awful lot of nectar? As well as the Whites there were a few Meadow Browns and Hedgies about and on the far side I also managed to pick up a Comma, a Painted Lady and a Red Admiral all of which sat for just long enough for a few record shots. The warmth and the scent was making us all feel drowsy and so we exited and welcomed the refreshing breeze as we stepped out form the sheltered walls.
06-08-2021 10.JPG
06-08-2021 11.JPG
06-08-2021 13.JPG
06-08-2021 14.JPG
The gardeners had left a few more unmown patches with acted like little oases among the desert of grass and while the girls completed another one of the activities from the Activity Trail (I think it was running like a Deer, a Hair and a Snail) I located a Smessex and a few Meadow Browns in one such patch. A surprising sight was a Comma plopping itself down on the white flowers and feeding in the middle of the field rather than on a Bramble patch at the edge of a wood.
06-08-2021 15.JPG
The Nature Trail led us down through the ring of trees and round the back of the house to the lawn where we set up for lunch. While the girls had a run around I took my camera and first walked along the line of Lavender and then back. First there were two Smessex Skippers mooching around like a pair of grouchy old men ignoring the brasher Meadow Browns. There were numerous Whites, once again taking to the air when I was about 2 metres away and a pair of Comma, one looking reasonably fresh and the other a lot tattier. When I had completed the return journey I crossed the little bit of lawn and reached the Ha-Ha. I spotted a couple of Common Blue males and so dropped down to the bottom of the ditch and snaked my feet through the long grass to reach my quarry. There were plenty of Meadow Browns and Hedgies about and at one point I diverted my course from one of the Common Blues to watch a Ringlet. With a few shots in the bag I got back to stalking the Common Blue which had luckily chosen a slightly barer patch to sit in. I decided to start back but the butterflies had other ideas for as I turned to leave first a Small Copper presented itself to me and then the second Common Blue. Eventually I was able to climb out un-accosted and took another quick turn around the line of Lavender where he same butterflies flew and one of Commas was more accommodating than previously.
06-08-2021 16.JPG
06-08-2021 17.JPG
06-08-2021 20.JPG
06-08-2021 22.JPG
06-08-2021 23.JPG
06-08-2021 24.JPG
06-08-2021 25.JPG
With our repast in the past we strode forth once more taking the diagonal path across the fields to the far end of the river path. Along the river a few Green-veined Whites were about as well as various Dragon and Damselfies one of which was definitely a Golden Ringed and some of the others I think were Beautiful and not Banded Demioselles? The path reached the climbing park and so the girls set about aping apes. While they monkeyed around I checked out the large Buddleia at the entrance to the park and various clumps of Hemp Agrimony around the edges. The Buddleia holds a Peacock, 2 Red Admirals (which later became 3) and a Green-veined White whilst the Hemp Agrimony mainly held Meadow Browns and Hedgies with a single Red Admiral.
06-08-2021 26.JPG
06-08-2021 27.JPG
06-08-2021 28.JPG
06-08-2021 29.JPG
And so ended a cracking visit with some easy summer butterflying…or so I thought. For when we dropped off the nieces there was a Meadow Brown, Red Admiral and a Painted Lady all in sitting on the stone chippings of the driveway.
06-08-2021 30.JPG
06-08-2021 31.JPG
With flighty whiteys
And Lycaenids in the ditch
Good old Mottisfont

Wurzel
Attachments
06-08-2021 4.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Devenish 10-08-2021

I hadn’t really planned anything for the day I just had a few chores to do and so once those were done I might have been able to head over to Martin Down for a quick walk around. One of the jobs on the list was to pick up some fresh meat for Teddy and so it was off to the Vets, appropriately on the corner of St Francis and St Assisi Avenues. While I waited for my order or 2 Venison and a Game stubby I had a look at the wildflowers that are encouraged to grown over the lawn and also watched the white Buddleia. I instantly regretted not bringing my camera as it was covered with butterflies…well 3 Painted Ladies, 2 Red Admirals, a Small White and a Small Tort to be exact! Once the meat arrived I mentioned that Teddy had been a bit off his food and had been sick once or twice. At the time there was a massive concern about Applaws biscuits which Teddy has a few off as a treat and so Teddy was booked in there and then. I rushed home grabbed the cat (and my camera) and returned to the Vets. While I was waiting to check him in I once again investigated the Buddleia but this time with my camera ready. I’m sure the butterflies knew that I was now equipped as most had disappeared in the 20 minutes since my last visit and now there were only singletons of Small White and Painted Lady.
10-08-2021 1.JPG
Teddy was wheeled in and I whisked myself away to The Devenish to kill some time while he was getting checked out and to stop my mind from wandering towards all the doom laden scenarios. In a very short time I was on site and wandering across the Orchid Meadow, furiously scanning, stalking and noting initials and numbers down in my notebook. In this first section the main activity was centred in the little triangle produced by the diagonal path that runs across the meadow to the narrow track up the Down. A Peacock did a reasonable impression of a day flying bat as it flew darkly along the hedge seeking nectar sources on the other side. Numerous Hedgies played along here and there was a little riot going on involving 4 Brown Argus and several of the five Common Blues that I could easily pick out against the straw coloured background. A few Meadow Browns did their typical slow motion eruptions from the longer grasses and a Large White played its usual trick of gliding strongly into view, looking like it would settle before bombing away again chuckling. I crossed back to the other side of the Meadow and moved along the hedge/treeline seeing more of the same species but with the added bonus of a Chalkhill Blue flitting about at a lower than usual altitude. The walk from this halfway point to the far end of the Meadow and back was slightly less busy butterfly wise but what it lacked in numbers (only 2 Commons Blues for example) it made up for by producing another ‘low level’ Chalkhill, a female this time, as well as a Small White, a lovely looking Small Copper and one of those more blue than brown female Common Blues.
10-08-2021 2.JPG
10-08-2021 3.JPG
10-08-2021 4.JPG
10-08-2021 7.JPG
10-08-2021 9.JPG
10-08-2021 10.JPG
10-08-2021 12.JPG
From here I changed down a gear and made my way through the gate and up the steep path. The hedge on my left naturally held plenty of Hedgies and very quickly I was out onto the first part of the Down free from the confines of the hedges or so it felt. Looking across and through the pale straw coloured…well straw I spotted several Blues – Chalkhills, Brown Argus and Common Blues a Red Admiral played along the Bramble that sweeps round the corner from the narrow track and a Small White drifted by. About half way up I encountered 2 or 3 more Chalkhills and I spent a while just enjoying following them up and down and across the steep, steep slope and the collection of Chalkhills was occasionally complimented by a Brown Argus or Common Blue and the odd female Chalkhill also put in some cameo appearances. My calves did start to burn after a little while and so to allow the lactic acid to dissipate I followed the diagonal path down to the treeline and the clumps of Hemp Agrimony and I found a few more Chalkhills on the way.
10-08-2021 13.JPG
10-08-2021 15.JPG
10-08-2021 16.JPG
The Clumps at this time of year make an obvious focal point for the butterflies and so I stealthily scanned across the tops of each one that I came to. The advantage here is that you approach from above and so look down onto the clumps meaning that much more of the plant is in view and the butterflies feeding on the top easily stand out against the delicate pink background. I ended up using the most graphite at the first Clump as I was furiously noting down and tallying up the butterflies and as it was so long ago remembering the order in which the tally marks were made was an impossible task. The end results was a single Small Tort, Brown Argus and Large White with two a piece of Peacock and Red Admiral and a fly past from a Holly Blue. At the second clump the diversity was less but there were greater numbers with 3 Brown Argus, 4 Peacock and a single Small Tort. The final clump resembled what I imagine a single bar to be like with a Red Admiral, Peacock and Small White all keeping their distance, too shy to head over to the next table and say hello. In the final run towards the Gully, where the Hemp Agrimony grows more disparately, a Brimstone added itself to the mix.
10-08-2021 17.JPG
10-08-2021 18.JPG
10-08-2021 19.JPG
A little mooch around in the Gully didn’t produce anything else with only a single Brimstone at the very top. It remained quiet as I walked through the first top field as the recent work on the hedge has left the first section totally exposed as the wind whips across the neighbouring fields and easily passes through the strips of wire of the fence. The second section had been left to its own devices and the shelter offered by the thick hedge meant that this section was much more productive, so much so in fact that it felt that it had come into its own on this visit! First there as a Brown Argus which was swiftly followed by one of those female Common Blues which make the identification guides look out of date. There were also a couple of males on the hunt for the female which took to lucking low down in the sward; a Large White stopped near to a Small Copper and of course there were several Meadow Brown generally getting in the way and under foot. I paused here for a moment to work out what to do next and mind made up I set off down the steep and slippy steps cut into the bones of the Down my descent punctuated with little forays off to either side for DGFs and (glorious female) Chalkhill Blues.
10-08-2021 21.JPG
10-08-2021 22.JPG
10-08-2021 23.JPG
10-08-2021 24.JPG
Safely down I took to wandering back and forth in the Orchid Meadow jut marvelling at all the butterflies flying. At one point I was watching a Chalkhill Blue and when I looked up there in view were a Smessex, Small Copper and a Brown Argus. I had to root myself to the spot so as not to spook them but I found that by swinging my arms slightly I could stay planted in position but get shots of them all individually. After admiring each in turn I found the courage to back up ever so slowly and once my shadow was clear of them I set off down the track with all four still sitting at their stations. On the final stretch before the gate and the Beech woodland towards the car park I picked up a few more Blues and a final Small Skipper before I had to head home and get a few things sorted out before picking up Teddy and hopefully finding out that he was all okay…
10-08-2021 28.JPG
10-08-2021 29.JPG
10-08-2021 30.JPG
10-08-2021 31.JPG
Jobs done I again took my camera to the Vets and the butterflies must have not realised that I was coming back possibly as they’d seen me twice already? When I trained my lens across the white florets several were still hanging on and merrily feeding away. There was a brace of Small Torts a Peacock and a Small White. I only managed a few shots before ‘Prince Teddy’ was wheeled back out in the shopping trolley and I sat socially distanced on the picnic table for his feedback. Luckily it was alright and nothing to do with the Applaws so Teddy still has 6 remaining lives, phew!
10-08-2021 34.JPG
A trip to the Vets
Led onto the Devenish
Phew! Teddy’s all good!

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy New Year!
00 Cover 2022.jpg
January 2022

Here's hoping that 2022 is better than 2021 and much, much better than 2020! :shock: :?
01 2022.jpg

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I'll drink to your sentence above!. :D
The weather rather than Covid could spoil or make the coming season.

Let's be optimistic!, stay well.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Fingers (and toes) crossed :? :D

Creekmoor Ponds 11-08-2021

So it was due to be third time lucky today for my windscreen repair but it did involve a trip down to Poole. Once I dropped the car off I had between an hour and an hour and a half to spare so did I visit my old Local Patch (my first one from 33 years ago) or try somewhere new? In the end I just started walking and a Red Admiral made my mind up for me. At the end of the road it flew up from low in the undergrowth and fluttered weakly along the footpath on my right seeking out nettles it seemed. So I followed and after a 10 minute walk I’d ended up at Creekmoor Ponds rather than Hatch Pond.
11-08-2021 1.JPG
Along the way the sun beat down and the odd Red Admiral or White passed by but nothing stopped despite some lovely looking nectar sources in the gardens and driveways that I passed by. It was with some relief that I dove down the track and into the shade of wooded path at the start of the reserve. A couple of Specklies stood guard at the entrance, beguiling me with their wing flashes.
11-08-2021 2.JPG
11-08-2021 3.JPG
After this I took to wandering and followed a figure of 8 route first round the smaller pond with the aim of coming back and working round the larger one. The first section was quite good and a small section of heather and gorse held a couple of Hedgies, Meadow Browns and several blue Damselflies of possibly two species. I keep wandering round and at each little break in the canopy where the light found a way in I also found one or two Specklies fluttering about or sitting in a beam of light. I also marvelled at the large number of Sallow and Oak trees which led me to wondering if Purple Emperors are ever seen in this vicinity?
11-08-2021 4.JPG
11-08-2021 5.JPG
I was quite close to where I’d started but before I made my way back along and round to the second half of the figure of 8 I investigated a large Buddleia bush. Sure enough there were a couple of Meadow Browns and Red Admirals sitting on the florets. Also sure enough the better conditioned Admiral was sitting further back deep within the confines of the plant and the one with half a wing missing was front and centre. There were also a couple of Specklies feeding on the Buddleia and a few more floating about, coming down from perches in the surrounding trees looking for a bit of bovver.
11-08-2021 6.JPG
11-08-2021 7.JPG
11-08-2021 8.JPG
So onwards and as I passed the smaller pond for the second time I briefly stopped to watch an Emperor Dragonfly skimming across the surface of the pond. While it flew rapidly across a Terrapins head (or was it a Ninja Turtle?) popped up. A Common Darter took my mind off the inward muttering about people that release exotics willy-nilly and then I pressed on.
11-08-2021 9.JPG
To be honest the second larger lake wasn’t nearly as productive as the path that ran most of the way round was tarmacked and the majority of the route was in the shade with any interesting looking habitat untidily fenced off by a tall and thick wall of impenetrable Bramble and it wasn’t until the far side when the track came back round on a large verge that I started seeing any butterflies again. There was the odd White flying by, another Red Admiral and then just as I was about to leave I spotted a tiny white flag sticking out like a sore thumb from a dark green Bramble leaf. I used the standard ‘click-step’ routine and so was able to get in close enough to both confirm that it was a Holly Blue and also get a few shots. Luckily it was sitting in the shade so that didn’t bleach out from the strong sun.
11-08-2021 10.JPG
11-08-2021 11.JPG
He walk back was quicker as it was downhill and so I had a little while to peruse the small wild flower field that had been planted at the end of the road leading into the Industrial estate. It was extraordinary to see and was a riot of colour. Even better I spotted a couple of Meadow Browns and a White (probably Small) on the other side. As I looked more closely at the Meadow Browns a male Common Blue was chased into my field of view by a Brown Argus. The Common Blue zipped off but the Brown Argus hung about triumphantly. He was in brilliant nick and looked like he’d only just emerged. A really surprising sight as the field was so small but I did find it quite reassuring that even the smallest attempts to help wildlife often pay dividends.
11-08-2021 12.JPG
11-08-2021 13.JPG
11-08-2021 14 cover.JPG
11-08-2021 15.JPG
It just goes to show
When humans make an effort
Butterflies respond

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 14-08-2021

The plan was to get out for a brief bit of exercise. So what better way to bring my plan to fruition than have a couple of hours at Martin Down? Also I was still hoping for a Cloudy to bring me to my hoped for annual tally of 48 and the little area behind the Hotspot and Greenstreak field had held them there before so it was Sillen’s Lane that I made for...

All the spaces (all 6 of them) were filled in the ‘car park’ so I pulled up on the verge along the main track, locked up…went back and locked up a second time (I hate central locking as I can never remember whether I’ve done it or not!) and then set off along the main track scanning to my left and right as I went. With my sights set on a Cloudy I was eager to get to cover as much ground as possible so it was with some pace that I trundled along the bone dry track. Along the way Common Blues put in brief appearance, Meadow Browns frolicked in the longer grasses and both Brimstone and a Peacock added themselves to the days tally. A few ghostly Chalkhills flew almost too far away to be sure but their spectral demeanor alluded to their identity. As I passed the fork in the trackways and flowed left alongside the first of the small fields I realised that I’d been so intent on both my quest for the Cloudy and noting down observations in my notebook that I hadn’t logged a single image on my memory card. So I set about rectifying this as soon as I was able and a Chalkhilll chose that very moment to go down on the deck a short distance ahead of me.
14-08-2021 1.JPG
14-08-2021 2.JPG
After this timely reminder I then split my time three ways. First there was the scanning ahead for anything fast-flying and mustard coloured, second was scribbling down numbers and initials in the notebook and the final third of my time was spent adopting Kung Fu/Yoga poses whilst photographing butterflies – horse stance in particular is pretty useful in saving the knees and offering stability – who knew? The little ‘fields’ on the right side of the path were looking spectacular bedecked as they were in a multitude of colours and floral species. Along the way a Red Admiral did that annoying thing of flying ahead of me, landing and then taking off again just as I got within range. There were many, many more Meadow Browns, a fair few Blues an aged Smessex and at the far end an aged DGF played with the skittish Red Admiral.
14-08-2021 3.JPG
I followed the track around and up to the right so that I could work both sides of the ‘Terraces’ with three Brimstone leading me on along the way. The terraces held good numbers of Blues; both Common and Chalkhill as well as the odd Brimstone and a single Small Copper but alas there wasn’t a Cloudy cutting a dash in the scrapes or bombing by in between the sprigs of Hawthorn so I made my way to the edge of the Hotspot Hollow. It was definitely living up to its moniker; there were butterflies all over the place! Every which way I looked something caught my eye from Chalkhills chasing each other around to a belligerent Brown Argus that was bullying anything that crossed it’s path. I spent a while here noodling about back and forth adding species after species to the Tally; a Small Tort, Small Heath, more Brown Argus, Common Blues and Chalkhills and a female Brimstone amidst some female Chalkhills it was a glorious summer ensemble. My meanderings took my down and up the hollow and across the path to dip where the Dyke starts its snaking climb up the side of the Down. This little spot in previous years has proved almost as fruitful as the Hotspot itself and again I found myself surrounded by the usual crowd of Blues and Brown Argus which supporting cast including Meadow Browns and a Peacock. A guest star, new in town, performed his debut; a stunning 2nd brood Adonis. He was far too quick for my lens though so I instead started up the Down at a brisk pace – well I was supposed to be visiting for exercise after all.
14-08-2021 4.JPG
14-08-2021 5.JPG
14-08-2021 6.JPG
14-08-2021 7.JPG
14-08-2021 8.JPG
14-08-2021 9.JPG
14-08-2021 10.JPG
The walk up the hill was invigorating and I was at the top surprisingly quickly; possibly because all the species were hanging out at the bottom of the Dyke where I feared to tread (as I didn’t want to flatten the lush vegetation). In amongst the many Blues there had been singletons of Small Tort, Peacock, Large White, Smessex and DGFs bolstering the now burgeoning tally. The Dyke as the top proved popular with the Vanessids with a Red Admiral, Peacock and a couple of Small Torts all ‘hilltopping’ at the apex of the steep bank whilst several types of Blue made themselves comfortable at the lower, more sheltered levels; including a slightly easier to approach 2nd brood Adonis.
14-08-2021 11.JPG
14-08-2021 12.JPG
14-08-2021 13.JPG
14-08-2021 14.JPG
As I’d reached the top the only was now was to go down and so I took the direct route straight along the diagonal path back to the car park. At the start of the return leg a Small Tort played the ‘fly ahead and land and then take off again’ game as did a Chalkhill but they weren’t to the same standard as the Red Admiral from earlier in the visit and so I managed a few passing shots. The Small Tort to be fair showed plenty of stamina as it kept on playing all the way down the hill and I paused a for a second time at the confluence of the three tracks at the bottom of the hill for a few shots of it and a nearby companion. So a good blast with plenty of puff expelled and plenty of stuff seen in the hour and half or so but no Cloudy – could this end up being be a ‘47’ year?
14-08-2021 15.JPG
14-08-2021 16.JPG
14-08-2021 17.JPG
Blast round Martin Down
Blues and Browns and Vanessids
Still no Cloudy though

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger 15-08-2021

This was to be the second day on another of those little runs of constant butterflying trips but it was mainly a recce for the big day on the morrow; both Dave and Trevor were due to visit fair Shipton and so I wanted to get the lie of the land in readiness. I arrived at just after 11 as I didn’t want to spend too long staring at a Brostreak free hedge and main my way along the main hedge. If the wind didn’t change direction then this would be the best bet for the ‘proper’ trip as the tall trees and the scrub acted as a near perfect wind break – on the Wiltshire side it was blowing powerfully but on the Hampshire side barely a leaf fluttered. On my first walk down the typical fare was on display with many Hedgies and Meadow Browns hawking their wares along with the odd Red Admiral and Peacock a smattering of Whites and the slightly more than occasional Holly blue. About half way along I looked up and scanned along the hedge and spotted a couple of women leaning into the Blackthorn. I started towards them but just as I was getting close they both stepped back, put their phones away and resumed their walking. When I reached where they’d been standing I could see a female Brostreak that had been in a near perfect position but was now hiding almost as high and far back as she could.
15-08-2021 1.JPG
Pleased to confirm that the females were out and that the main hedge seemed like the most likely spot I carried on to the end of the hedge and onto the little enclosure. There weren’t any Brostreaks here that I could see but there were a few Common Blues fluttering about under my footfalls. As I strolled along the back track a Red Admiral erupted from the vegetation on my left flew away from along the track reached then end and did a tumble that Michael Phelps would have been proud of and flew straight at me. I almost ducked and then it disappeared from view. I looked around me but saw no sign of it. It couldn’t have disappeared? Then I recalled the manoeuvre that Han Solo pulled in ‘Empire’ where he flew the Falcon directly at a Star Destroyer and then attached it on the rear of the bridge. Looking down there was the Red Admiral sitting on my leg. As I made to move my camera around for a few shot it winked and me and then buggered off! Also in a playful mood was a Comma on the corner of the track as it moved from a prime perch right on the edge of the track to sit almost out of reach, well almost but not quite out of range.
15-08-2021 2.JPG
15-08-2021 3.JPG
15-08-2021 4.JPG
15-08-2021 5.JPG
So despite now being into the Golden Hours things were taking their time to get going and so I made my way back along the main hedge for another pass. I met up with the same group from my second trip to Bentley Wood and they informed me that they’d encountered a coach trip or local group meeting so instead of checking the trackways up from the village I remained along the main hedge to avoid the crowds of people. It proved to be a good choice as on this second pass I found a male about half way along. The others had gone onto the nettle beds already and were out of earshot but the chap whose name escapes me but henceforth will be known as Blackstreak Boy (as that was where I’d first encountered him and nothing to do with ‘I want it that way’) was so I called out to share in Brostreak. The Brostreak was starting to show a few signs of age; a creased wing tip, fraying of the margins and tiny grey patches where the scales had rubbed off but all the same was still a welcome sight and he behaved impeccably, posing prodigiously.
15-08-2021 7.JPG
15-08-2021 9.JPG
15-08-2021 10.JPG
15-08-2021 11.JPG
15-08-2021 12.JPG
We left him in peace and then carried on scanning the hedge eagerly for more. We didn’t have to travel far, only about three quarters of the way along the total length before I spotted another male up high. As we watched it made a flight out from its perch, jinked about a little bit and then drifted down lower and lower. We both followed its every move whispering “come on, keep coming down…just a little lower…almost there” under out breaths. And then he was down both in terms of altitude and in sitting on a perch. He may have been down but was at a dodgy angle. I had to kneel down and scrunch my head as far back so it was pressing against my spine to get the shot. I got a few but it was proving too painful and so we pointed him out to another group which had reached us in the interim and then we moved on to the Nettle Bed.
15-08-2021 13.JPG
The Bentley group are already surveiling the Bed and were spread out so in the course of my observations I greeted them all. I checked all the spots that had proved fruitful before and then watched as a male descended right into the middle of the bed. Others had previously seen this occur as there were human width paths trodden through into the middle where the nettles were more sparsely distributed. Lifting my camera up so not to catch any nettles on my arms I followed the path as it snaked through into the middle of the nettle bed and there was the male sitting on one of the last remaining creeping thistles. After this I backed out and made my way along the back track where I had a bit of chin wag about Marshies, the state of Bentley Wood and how the Sigma 105 mm lens is a cracker. Our chat was interrupted by another Brostreak but it stayed quite far back in the little cleared patch near the Field Maple so I could only get a record shot.
15-08-2021 14.JPG
15-08-2021 15.JPG
15-08-2021 17.JPG
Saying my goodbyes and wishing them well I made my way back for a final reverse pass along the main hedge. The group that I’d put onto the male earlier were still about and had a female which was unfortunately still up high and so far back that getting anything of it was next to impossible. I carried on picking up a Small Copper, Holly Blues, the late risers that are Brimstones and a Red Admiral. Near the start of the hedge round the corner form the car I bumped into Ian who had branched off from the large group that were having lunch. He was frantically searching for a Wall that the others had seen but he’d missed out on – wishing him well I made for home recce complete and hopefully the benefits will be reaped on the morrow so long as the weather remains approximately the same!

Recce Shipton trip
Brostreaks aplenty? Not so
But still enough though

Have a goodun

Wurzel
p.s It must have been third time lucky for Ian as later I saw some cracking shots of the Wall on Face-the-book :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks for such a thorough recce Wurzel, and for the superb visit the next day.
I stayed at my Daughters that evening with the intention of visiting Tilshead
and Shipton B on my way home the next day. Unfortunately the weather had
other ideas, with rain not far off monsoon intensity.

The best laid plans of...............

Stay well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I think the recce paid off, we certainly had a cracking following day (see below) :D

Shipton Bellinger 16-08-2021

The day had dawned and the morrow was upon us so I packed the car and once more set off for Shipton in amidst sunny intervals but with a strong breeze. With the sounds of Maiden dissipating mixed with the clinking of my cooling engine I hopped out, grabbed my gear and was greeted by Trevor. The breezes was rattling though the break in the tees/hedge but as we rounded the corner my hair lay flat and my shirt stopped billowing and all was calm, the hedge acting as a perfect windbreak once again. As we started to check out the first part of the hedge Dave arrived and while we three were catching up Jenks also appeared. It was starting to turn into a bit of party; less cheese and wine and more staring and squinting and the time was roughly equally divided with talking and checking for butterflies. All the usual suspects were present with Holly Blues putting on a good showing and Dave whispering away, there were also the Browns, both Hedge and Meadow, as well a few Vanessids and Whites and also those annoying bright ginger “was that a Brosteak or not?” moths.
16-08-2021 1.JPG
About two thirds along the hedge where the growth is younger, slightly shorter and more vigourous was lone gent that was making all the moves that prospective Brostreak hunters like to see; staring into the hedge, the cautious approach, a slight swaying of the head from side to side, the lifting of the arms/camera and then the final standing rooted to the spot. We took our time to reach him so as to allow him plenty of time with the butterfly as befits the finder and then scanned for ourselves in the rough direction of where the butterfly was once we were in the rough locale. She was a beauty but was sitting a little too high for all to be able to get onto her so we set about taking it in shifts as it were with Dave opting to go last in case he inadvertently spooked it which he didn’t, ever the consummate professional, and so we backed off and continued on our way chuffed for such an excellent start.
16-08-2021 2.JPG
16-08-2021 3.JPG
Our wanderings took on to the end of the hedge and on through the little enclosure where the small pockets of longer vegetation played host to Blues and Bad Attitudes but I felt duty bound to make sure that everyone went home with bucket loads of Brostreaks so we pressed onto the Nettle beds. This spot last year was brilliant for the males but today was strangely quiet – perhaps it grown a little late in their flight now that the females were out they may have other things on their minds rather than fueling up on nectar? As if to prove a pint a single male did a fly-by and remained up high, perched in a Field Maple presumably to spy out any females? We made our way back to the Main Hedge with the odd ‘was that a Brosteak or one of those blessed moths?’ and started back along the length to where we’d originally begun. About three quarters of the way along there was a male but he was really far back and high up, too far for anything other than a ‘prove it’ shot. A few years back and better shots would have been possible as the Briar would have been barely a sucker back then and the Hawthorn would have been a couple of feet lower; back then most of the hedge was accessible and if the butterfly flew into it there were little trackways into and behind the various little favoured spots but now it is a lovely impenetrable mass which makes the shots more rewarding.

We spent a little time as the end as we’d bumped into Tuts while we were hedge staring and so we continued in that very butterflying way of looking for our quarry while chatting away. This is one of the reasons that I prefer butterflying to birding which has gotten a little less social over the years. Again there were plenty of Holly Blues, the Vanessids out on a good showing and another male Brostreak put in an appearance but the star here was a glorious looking Wall Brown; a large and fecund looking female that was fresh out of the box. She was a beauty and what with the cracking female Brostreak earlier and the pleasant company the day could have ended there and then and been mighty fine. We didn’t end it there though and instead pressed on rubbing our hands together wondering what delights would turn up next?
16-08-2021 5.JPG
16-08-2021 6.JPG
16-08-2021 7.JPG
16-08-2021 8.JPG
Having sampled all of the usual areas we had a little mooch around in the small field which has held Silver-spotted Skippers in the past. Here the Blackthorn doesn’t grow much about shoulder height and there are lots of little nooks and dead-ends which act as little sheltered alcoves. It was in one such nook that we found another male. We were just remarking how the habitat looked great for them when I turned around and there was a male just sitting on a thistle head which was growing from the middle of the path. It wasn’t in the best of nick (but who is these days?) but was probably the best looking male so far and as the sun crept out from behind the cloud and shone down strongly it opened up revealing a hint of the open wings – but not quite enough for Trevor to tick that particular shot off the list.
16-08-2021 9.JPG
16-08-2021 10.JPG
After this successful foray into unchartered territory we got back onto the well beaten and much travelled track working our way down the Main Hedge with Red Admirals, Holly Blues and yet another male Brostreak. Some of the Meadow Browns also caught my eye as they had varying degrees of orange flashes ranging from a standard block to almost the entire fore wing and one from a certain angle looked to have the Griffins head, the fore wing spot making a smiling eye. Through the enclosure and onto the Nettle Beds we went but once again they were quiet with only a Small Tort worthy of making it into the notebook. It seems that this is the place to be early in the season when the males start their flight but the Main Hedge takes over prominence once the females appear, speaking of which…
16-08-2021 11.JPG
The Great Pretender or 'Le Griffon'
The Great Pretender or 'Le Griffon'
Back on the Main Hedge things picked up noticeably. A Red Admiral ab.fructa played very hard to get; once their identification was made they refused to open up for any shots although to be fair the underside was so great to see in near prefect lighting that I didn’t mind their reticence, although for some reason I had ‘98˚’ on my mind?. A few others had found a female Brostreak again in the younger growth so she could have been the same as from the start of the day but as she was basking openly confirmation of this was not possible. Once again we formed an orderly arc around her and the chatting was punctuated by the odd “after you” “no after you” followed swiftly by the clicks and whirs of cameras. She was in gorgeous nick sitting there wings almost full stretch. A tatty male up high just couldn’t compete especially when she became even more obliging. Suddenly she took to the wing and made a feint at going up high before flying out across the field while we watched with baited breath. She flopped down and when we approached there she was sitting on the deck beautifully positioned orange flashes lighting up the grass and our hearts with equal measure; the mix of chocolate and orange once again proving a delicious winner. There were also a few Common Blues here but to be honest they got short shrift as there was a Diva in the house.
16-08-2021 13.JPG
16-08-2021 14.JPG
16-08-2021 15.JPG
16-08-2021 16.JPG
16-08-2021 17.JPG
That should have been it really and as we strolled happy and contented back along the final stretch of the Hedge I stumbled across another female. She was a little more worn than the Diva but made up for that in being much more interesting as she was more active, wandering across flower tops and making little flights to another nectar source before feeding some more. In the end I took fewer shots of her but selected more essentially proving that personality wins out over looks! With that the cracking day was done and we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. On the drive home I made a tally (2 maybe three females, and at least 6 males ) and replayed key events from the day and it must have been a great day as I reached home still reminiscing as my key hit the lock. Great company and great butterflies – I can’t wait for next year!
16-08-2021 18.JPG
16-08-2021 19.JPG
16-08-2021 20.JPG
16-08-2021 21.JPG
16-08-2021 22.JPG
With luscious Brostreaks
Great company and fresh Wall
Fab day at Shipton

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the reminder of that brilliant day at Shipton B.
Great shots of that most obliging female Brown Hairstreak, she was in no hurry to escape.
Perhaps this shouldn't be mentioned in polite company, but it was the pristine female
Wall Brown that made my day, so unexpected and landing just right. You too managed
a couple of nice shots of her.
With the exception of the Large Tort sighting, the Shipton B visit was my highlight of 2021.

Here's to the 2022 season. Stay safe,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That really was a great day out, Wurzel. Considering the gale blowing on the other side of the hedge we saw some terrific butterflies - those Hairstreaks performed beautifully and that female Wall was second to none. Combine that with the company and the associated nattering and as Trevor says, a real highpoint of 2021. :) Brilliant.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D It was a cracking day - that female was one of my highlights of 2021 8) Definitely up for a return next year, perhaps a couple of trips a week or so apart would be better as then we might be able to get fresh males and fresh females too? :wink:
Cheers Dave :D I think next year I might produce a 'UKB members Tick list' as there are so many familiar faces :wink: :D I'll have a recce a bit further around on the site next year as I reckon there have to be some Silver=spots hiding somewhere on the site :)

Middle Street 17-08-2021

And now for something completely different…I felt bad for the short shrift given to the Blues whilst searching for their cousins the Brostreak so I set out to for a quick walk after lunch to hopefully rectify that…Luckily the sun was showing signs of coming out and as I strode along the Town Path the odd gull and a Little Egret frequented the small dykes carved into the meadow. On past the Mill I went still with no butterflies but racking up the birds – with a Grey Wagtail on the weir and a Peregrine overhead, possibly one of the juveniles from the Cathedral seeking out a new territory. As I walked through the gap which is the gate a Small Tort played on the Buddleia of the neighbouring garden but it was just out of range – still things were starting to bode on the positive side…

I made straight for the End beyond the Dips as the little hollow and unmown field has proved a great spot for Blues before and as I took to the little trackways I spotted one almost immediately. It clung onto a flower head swaying back and forth in the gentle breeze and so I stood and waited for a lull and when it came to pass I clicked away. I continued on hastily working out a new strategy as the untamed grasses were growing to gargantuan proportions, the tallest towered over head on either side and where the vegetation wasn’t as tall I could see that it had made up for it by growing thickly and interweaving producing a near impenetrable vegetative mat. Whilst the grasses rubbed against my shoulders I had to duck occasionally to avoid the huge thistles that were growing almost as tall as they’d had my eye out and instead of the normal method of trying to snake my feet through the vegetation to get to my quarry I maintained my progress on the tiny trackways hoping to find the butterflies with on the track itself or within range on either side. Despite the occasional frustration as some butterflies seemed to know of my plan and so would disappear deep into the middle of the vegetation and sit in a perfect pose knowing full well they were beyond my reach, in the end this didn’t play out too badly and I picked up the odd Common Blue on the way.
17-08-2021 1.JPG
17-08-2021 2.JPG
17-08-2021 3.JPG
Even better there was a small hollow on one side of the path right at the end where the vegetation was a different make up and the wall of grasses subsided. In here a Brown Argus held sway, lording it over anything that dared to fly within sight of it. Over the time I watched I saw it take on three male Common Blues at once. To be fair on the Blues they were already battling it out when they flew into the BA’s lair and so the way he dealt with them was a little harsh. A female Common Blue kept a low profile, possibly the object of all the strife between the males? She was certainly a looker and had smarts as well, relying on the feisty BA to see off her unwanted suitors was a stroke of genius!
17-08-2021 4.JPG
17-08-2021 5.JPG
17-08-2021 6.JPG
17-08-2021 7.JPG
I then worked my way back along the trackways as I realised that I’d initially come out for a walk I hadn’t actually done much of it. On the way out of the miniature jungle I’d stop occasionally for the odd butterfly that once again strayed onto the path ahead of me. A Hedgie stops on my left and I was able to get a few shots but pushing my lens through the screen of grass, a little like I was poking my lens out of a bird hide. There was a Common Blue that stopped just long enough to clock me and then was gone and shortly after that a second. This one also took off as soon as I was in sight but swiftly returned and settled on a curved leaf which looked like it had been fashioned to measure.
17-08-2021 8.JPG
17-08-2021 9.JPG
Once I emerged back to the main part of the site the going was much quicker and I found myself walking at an almost lightning pace on autopilot. Along bottom of the Bank Path with nothing seen. Then up and over and down into Dip 1 where in a little island of flowers amid the sea of grasses and dead thistles a couple of marooned Common Blues and a Brown Argus seek out food on their not quite a desert island. As the grasses swished and swayed in the breeze their hypnotic spell is broken as a Red Admiral erupted in front of me. A couple of Small Whites flew past me and led me to another Brown Argus. At first I thought that it was the initial individual but the chips in the tips of the fore-wings were a different shape so it became the third BA of the day.
17-08-2021 10.JPG
As I left the Dip and once more reached thinner turf again my pace quickened, so much so that I finished up the visit in record time. The sun was at a particular point in the sky by now where much of the remaining path was shrouded in shade cast from the lush vegetative growth of the trees and the reeds – some of which must have been twice my height at least and this meant that the butterflies weren’t stopping they’re just passing through. This went for a Comma bombing by, a Green-veined White weakly fluttering past and a Specklie bimbling between the branches and boughs of the Willows. As I left the Small Tort was still on the Buddleia and had been joined by a Small White but the visit had been about the Blues and so I left having mainly concentrated on them and them alone.

Quick after lunch walk
Towering vegetation
Middle Street Triffids!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger 20-08-2021

The weather forecasting had left a lot to be desired over the previous week. Each day you’d check ahead and go out anyway and it would turn out to be not too bad and occasionally pretty good; the cloud lifted, the winds dropped, the rain never came and in its place some nice sunny intervals. So Philzoid and I arranged to meet at Shipton primarily to get him a Wall and a Brostreak despite the dismal forecast. Of course in line with the age old rule this meant that the weather forecast finally matched the prevailing conditions. I was still hopeful of finding the butterflies in question though as it all it would need would be about 5-10 minutes of sun…

The drive over was easy enough though I did develop a crick in my neck – not from head banging to Maiden but from trying to stare upwards and check the sky whilst keeping both eyes on the road ahead. When I pulled in the greyness had darkened even more and looked like it was going to sit stubbornly over Shipton yet in the distance it lightened and there were even a few patches of blue. With this in mind we optimistically set off along the hedge chatting as we scanned. It started off reasonably well with a couple of Red Admirals on the Bramble just round from the first corner. There were a few Meadow and Hedge Browns along the way and plenty of those annoying, small, ginger moths that most definitely aren’t Brostreaks but make you second guess anyway! About half way along we stopped and chatted with another watcher to get a bit of gen but it had been a quiet morning for them and we moved off again with the optimism starting to ebb away. In the enclosure the relative shelter afforded by the large hedge meant that we added a Common Blue to the days tally but that’s it apart from the increasing number of Meadow Browns.
20-08-2021 1.JPG
20-08-2021 2.JPG
When we reached the Nettle Patch we took to wandering the little trackways and scanning across the tops of the Nettles themselves seeking out any remaining purple tufts to examine more closely. Again the Meadow Browns seemed to be everywhere and at the same time always out of reach as was a Comma on the taller side of the hedge. The Moths played nicer, perhaps the dullness had calmed them down? A Common Carpet sat as good as gold and didn’t even twitch when I took to autofocusing and a Yellow Conch was a first for me.
20-08-2021 3.JPG
20-08-2021 4.JPG
Our wanderings brought us back to the main hedge and so we walked back along is length. The sky started to have brighter patches, some of which seemed almost blue, and with the coming sun the butterflies started appearing, replacing the dull loving Moths. The first noticeable shift was an increase in the numbers of the Meadow Browns and then a Red Admiral put in an appearance before the Holly Blues finally got out of bed. However of the Brostreak not a hide nor hair was seen – whether this was because the like the sun or whether they were having a lie-in I still don’t know?
20-08-2021 5.JPG
20-08-2021 6.JPG
20-08-2021 7.JPG
We kept on walking along the track from the Mina Hedge on up the hill, looking up and wondering if we were just imaging the increase in light intensity? Whether we were or not things were certainly getting a bit more butterfly filled as the Meadow Browns hadn’t disappeared and hidden away but were all out in force and in the first little ‘clearing’ along the track a Brown Argus posed nicely. Onwards we went to the next little patch and here a Small Heath and a cracking looking Common Blue pose for the camera. The Common Blue reminded me of those that I saw in Portugal with a row of little black spots along the hind wing margin. Shortly after this I spotted a Wall, the fast, direct flight totally different from that the flappy Meadow Browns a bit like a highly mobile marmalade sandwich. It flew along the track, decided not to carry on down though the tunnel of vegetation to the next clearing and so threw a U-ey before veering off to the right and from there away across the side of the Down (though it possibly just dropped down to the deck as soon as it was out of sight). SO we had one target species in the bag but not a proper sighting so we pressed on reverting to scanning the vegetation from the ground upwards in sweeps as we strode on.
20-08-2021 8.JPG
20-08-2021 9.JPG
Upon reaching the end of the series of little clearings the track opened up and carried on away across the Ranges of Bulford so we skirted round and started back with what had been the left hand wall of vegetation now on our right and Downland on out left. The change of scene, the improvement in the weather (the sun was now intermittently shining) or both factors meant that once again the range and number of butterflies took an uptick. There are more than a few Common Blues, a number of tiny Brown Argus scrapping their way across the turf, a Red Admiral cutting its way through the air and of course browns of both sorts all over the place. Amidst all this a fresh Adonis stands out like a beacon atop a mountain; at times when at a certain angle the blue was so right it almost hurt your eyes as it burnt into your retina. It too had a faint line of black spots on the hind wing margin but I was less impressed by this variation then by the sheer dazzle from the electric blue. It certainly brightened the day despite the cloud.
20-08-2021 10.JPG
20-08-2021 11.JPG
By the time we’d reached the second clearing from the start we’d both reverted to scanning mode as we’d added some cracking stuff to the memory card. This particular spot was where we’d seen the Wall earlier and where I’ve encountered one for the last three seasons. Once again it was playing host to a male Wall. Again it forward and backward along the track. Once it turned it again made for the tunnel of vegetation and once again bottled it at the last moment but this time instead of veering off and hot-tailing it out of there and across the Down he went up high, altering his path through 90 degrees and climbing vertically parallel to the hedge. We watched hoping that it wouldn’t disappear over the top of the hedge and luckily it didn’t for when it reached the top of its ascent if then plummeted back down and promptly landed on a flower. It briefly took some nectar and then moved onto the bare patches and vegetation free path where it settled down and basked whilst the sun remained.
20-08-2021 12.JPG
20-08-2021 13.JPG
With the sun still shining we decided checking out the Main Hedge would be the best bet for a Brostreak and so it was a race against the clouds. There were Common Blues and Brimstones out and about on our return journey but we arrived too late at the hedge for as we crossed the over the main track and rounded the first corner of the Hedge the cloud clawed its way across the sky and covered he sun once more. There were a few people staring into the hedge about ¾ of the way along and so we trudged over. There was a female Brostreak so Philzoid got both his targets but she was well back and up very high up in the hedge hence distant record shots were the only option available to us and the cloud thickening meant that this wasn’t going to change. Eventually the time had come for me to make a move homewards and so wishing Philzoid all the best I beat a retreat. True we got both targets but better views would have been nice - need to leave something for next time I guess?
it’s in there somewhere…
it’s in there somewhere…
Very cloudy day
Brostreaks enjoy a lie-in
Wall Brown makes the day

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 22-08-2021

It had been almost a fortnight since my last visit to Martin Down and in that time I’d visited Shipton several times and had some great luck with Walls and Brostreaks but if I was to reach my usual tally of 48 species I would need to add a Cloudy. So I had dual justification for making a visit on this day. I started off at Sillen’s Lane and as I’d previously completed the Hotspot walk today I opted for something a little different in order to widen the net in which to capture a Cloudy metaphorically speaking of course. So I walked up the nearest track towards the bottom of Ham Hill. Along the way plenty of Meadow Browns and the odd Blue showed as well as something of a rarity in 2021 for me – a Green-veined White. When I reached the little field at the foot of Ham Hill the wildflowers had taken over and occasionally poking their heads above the parapets the Blues showed really well. In the main they were Common Blues but there were also the odd Adonis and Chalkhill in the mix.
22-08-2021 1.JPG
22-08-2021 2.JPG
22-08-2021 3.JPG
22-08-2021 4.JPG
Leaving the knee high jungle behind, I made my way along the track the grasses at the edges of the track swishing and rasping against my boots right up to the point when I turned onto the thin turfed area at the very foot of the hill when silence resumed only broken by the Skylarks and Yellowhammers. As I started to walk to the far end I scanned ahead and ghostly pale Chalkhills flew making the Common blues stood out almost as much as an Adonis would by comparison. One of these was a female Common that looked as if an errant artist had gently rubbed a powder blue pastel over the surface of her wings. There were also a few DGFs still flapping about, some of which were still in reasonable nick although the vibrant daring ginger colour has passed back into distant memory. About half way along a Painted Lady bombed away from me which I took to be a good sign; generally good years for this species coincide with ‘good’ Cloudy years. When I reached the far end the field becomes hemmed in by the Hill and the route along the foot is blocked by a large island of dense scrub. The outlying hedge is composed of a wraparound Bramble which grows at almost head height behind which a large patch of Hemp Agrimoney is shielded. The only way to get anything of the butterflies beyond is to carefully tease the lens in between the thorny twigs which I attempted to do in order to get some shots of a Small Copper. I needn’t have bothered with this tricky manoeuvre as almost as soon as my lens was in position the butterfly took off and landed in a much easier spot! With this in the bag I picked my way back across the turf stooping down every now and again for this butterfly or that.
22-08-2021 6.JPG
22-08-2021 7.JPG
22-08-2021 8.JPG
22-08-2021 9.JPG
I then started climbing up Ham Hill, diagonally at first and then when the path ran out straight up. Plenty of Meadow Browns kept me company on the way and slightly out of breath and with burning calves I finally reached the top. The track runs along the top of the hill and on my right it eventually curves around and heads back down when it reaches the Dyke. Instead I followed it to the left and I’m pleased when it started ever so slightly downhill. The sun had fought with the cloud for most of the morning and now it finally succumbed but luckily a Large White put me onto a lovely Small White before the grey settled. The Blues didn’t seem to mind but they weren’t as common as previously when it was shining so I used the quieter time to explore the other side of the Hill. This would be South facing and I reckon with a little more close grazing it could be perfect for Silver-spotted Skippers. When I was half way down a brilliant Adonis went up so I followed it and waited for it to open up. He took his time so I chowed down on my usual sandwich – Extra Hot Lime Chilli Pickle and as usual just as the chilli started to burn the inside of my cheek the butterfly started to open up and bask. I set about photographing it and in the trance like state induced by staring through the viewfinder I forgot to chew and the burn got more and more voracious. It was worth it though for the Adonis was a right little gem!
22-08-2021 10.JPG
22-08-2021 11.JPG
22-08-2021 11a.JPG
I somehow managed to find my way back through all the little alcoves and scallops along various meandering paths to the main thoroughfare and walked along the top of the bank of the Dyke. I still kept my open for a Silver-spot just in case but despite examining every patch of thin turf that would heat up really quickly I didn’t find any. Instead there were Chalkhills and Common Blues taking advantage of the greater sward height. Then at one clump of Hemp Agrimony I stood back and enjoyed the sight of a Red Admiral, a Peacock and 6 Small Torts all clambering over the same clump. Slightly further along the way my progress was once again arrested this time for what at first I thought was a Potter Wasp but now I think that it might be a species of Bee Wolf? There were a few more Small Torts on the clumps of Hemp Agrimony and at the cross roads a couple of Red Admirals, a Peacock, a Large White and a Hedgie were all to be found on the Hemp growing on the other side of the Dyke.
22-08-2021 13.JPG
22-08-2021 14.JPG
22-08-2021 15.JPG
22-08-2021 17.JPG
22-08-2021 18.JPG
My exploratory run had brought me back to familiar territory, Stretched out ahead of me was the whole of Martin Down from the Dyke to the Hotspot Hollow and on to the Butts and beyond. To my left was Dorset, on my right Hampshire and straight ahead Wiltshire and that was where I set off towards straight down the track following the run of the Dyke and aiming for the Hotspot Hollow. I stopped almost as soon as I started as I noticed some small mining bees on the deck near their burrows. Something wasn’t right with them though and as I watched one of them stopped writhing and was still. Almost as soon as the bee had shuffled off its mortal coil it was seized by a similar looking bee to earlier. It landed on top of the smaller deceased bee and neatly folded its legs around it before taking to the air. There were more of the smaller bees along the path in various stages though I didn’t see how they were incapacitated by what I am now fairly convinced was a Bee Wolf.
22-08-2021 19.JPG
22-08-2021 20.JPG
Macabre Bee Wolf
Taints my trip to Martin Down
Just for a moment

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 22-08-2021

Part 2

I shook myself to knock the macabre images from my mind and ventured forth on the look-out for something more positive and less gruesome. A Small Tort and a Red Admiral did their best to brighten my mood and as I started my descent the numbers of Blues increased and I was able to pick up one or two including some lovely fresh Chalkhills. In previous years I’ve given this species less time than it deserved so it felt right and proper that this year they were getting a much higher proportion of my time. On past the bench I went and finding yet more Blues including some stunning Adonis and I continued my descent stopping occasionally to marvel at the sights and sounds and also to give the Meadow Browns a bit of a break from erupting with each of my footfalls. By the time I’d reached the Hollow I was starting to feel a little fatigued and was ruing leaving my coffee behind – I’d only intended on a short walk and this was looking like going the distance. The butterflies made up for it though I didn’t find any Small Blue or the hoped for Cloudy in the usual haunt behind the Hollow. I pressed on with a few Peacocks and Small Torts accompanying me along the Dyke and by the time I’d reached the half way point the sun had come out proper, none of that hiding behind a bit of cloud but full on beating down. This really got the Blues a-buzzing along the tiny track and the surrounding environs. Brown Argus, Chalkhills, Common Blues and Adonis all flew enjoying the suns’ rays. I was most chuffed though to get a twofer of Chalkhill and Small Copper.
22-08-2021 21.JPG
22-08-2021 22.JPG
22-08-2021 23.JPG
22-08-2021 24.JPG
22-08-2021 25.JPG
22-08-2021 26.JPG
22-08-2021 27.JPG
22-08-2021 28.JPG
As I was at the half-way point and still with no Cloudy to show for my efforts the only thing I could do really was carry on to the Butts. I thought the best bet would be to have a look from the top and scan the various fields beyond; so that’s where I headed. On route I’d scan left and right always hoping for the fast moving banana blur but it still didn’t come although each mal Brimstone would pique my interest for a microsecond. As I drew near to the Butts I found myself drawn down into the Dyke where on a clump of Hemp Agrimony there was a wild butterfly party happening. I didn’t know where to point my lens first as this single clump was bedecked with 3 Small Torts, 2 Meadow Browns, a Common Blue and a Painted Lady. I was left wondering if butterflies had developed the habit like roving tit flocks in winter? They avoid expending energy searching an area that has already been picked clear of food by travelling in a single group…I stopped my musings and swung my camera round and took some photos instead.
22-08-2021 28a.JPG
22-08-2021 29.JPG
22-08-2021 30.JPG
22-08-2021 31.JPG
22-08-2021 32.JPG
I visited all of the various fields starting with the thin turfed area below the Dyke. The main species here was the Chalkhill Blue and it reigned supreme and the only other butterfly of note was a Small Copper. I then made my way back to the Dyke and followed along to the furthest of the fields between the car park and the Butts. Once there I stopped, took a breath and then promptly lost it again at the fantastic sight of so many butterflies; flappy Meadow Browns, Common Blues looking more lilac than Blue, ghostly looking Chalkhills and the odd white all forming the icing a the cake of the fantastic wildflowers. It was stunning. I worked my way back through the other fields, the ones I think of as the ‘sunken’ ones finding more Blues as well as the odd Brown Argus and Small Copper but no sign of a Cloudy did I make. Now in desperate need of coffee I put my head down and made my way back stopping very occasionally. The journey didn’t add anything to the tally and by the end was absolutely hanging but despite the no-show from the Cloudy it was an epic visit!
22-08-2021 33.JPG
22-08-2021 34.JPG
22-08-2021 35.JPG
22-08-2021 36.JPG
Keep hiking onwards
Cover all of Martin Down
Hanging but happy

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

February 2022
02 2022.jpg
Happy February! Not long to go now til we start seeing these beauties!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”