Peacock ab?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Stevie Blunder

Peacock ab?

Post by Stevie Blunder »

Hello me again,
Are these Peacock abs? Their wing margins seem blacker than I've seen in other specimens over the years. Photos were taken in August 2012 Crickley Hill Country Park Gloucestershire.
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_1445.jpg
IMG_1444.jpg
IMG_1443.jpg
millerd

Re: Peacock ab?

Post by millerd »

Hi Stevie - the borders do look quite dark, but as this was August when these butterflies were brand new, their colours will have been at their most intense and vibrant. I would therefore say they probably fall within "normal variation". It's fair to say as a general comment that the boundaries between the extremes of such "variation" and named aberrations are often rather blurred... :)

Cheers,

Dave
Stevie Blunder

Post by Stevie Blunder »

Thanks for the explanation although I have only ever seen this really black wing margins on Peacocks at this site during different years.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Seeing this post prompted me to look again at this Peacock photo from a few years ago taken at Cotley Hill, Wiltshire. I was wondering if it was within normal variation or an ab. The eye markings look a bit extreme as the white circles on the hindwings look rather large.
Attachments
Peacock with large pale surrounds to hindwing 'eye' markings.
Peacock with large pale surrounds to hindwing 'eye' markings.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

False Apollo wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:09 pm Seeing this post prompted me to look again at this Peacock photo from a few years ago taken at Cotley Hill, Wiltshire. I was wondering if it was within normal variation or an ab. The eye markings look a bit extreme as the white circles on the hindwings look rather large.
There doesn't seem to be a description describing this particular variation :? . It being not fresh makes me wonder whether wear and tear has exaggerated this look, although I suspect even when fresh it probably stuck out a bit.
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Identification”