Holly Blue - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 8

Another week passes which in one way is bad as it means another week without butterflies but in another way is good as we’re one week closer to seeing the first butterflies of 2022!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Re: Holly Blue - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by MikeOxon »

With both holly and ivy growing in my garden, I can always rely on seeing Holly Blues flitting around throughout the season. They are not so easy to photograph, however, having a knack of perching on top of leaves in inaccessible places! I managed to manoeuvre myself into position for a shot of this one, in typical alert pose:
garden, Abingdon - 22nd April 2021<br />Olympus E-M1-ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/320s@f/9 ISO 640
garden, Abingdon - 22nd April 2021
Olympus E-M1-ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/320s@f/9 ISO 640
Mike
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Back in May, about half a dozen Holly Blues were flying around the shrubs in a friends garden and this very fresh male was particularly obliging.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Holly Blue (m) 12.5.2021 East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

downland boy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:18 pmBack in May, about half a dozen Holly Blues were flying around the shrubs in a friends garden and this very fresh male was particularly obliging.
That's production line fresh, DB. Almost pure white! :mrgreen:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A very poor year for them in my travels. This female turned up whilst looking for Glanvilles in south London :)
Holly Blue female, Hutchinson's Bank.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I did better with the Holly Blue than any other Butterfly this year, I couldn't miss really they were in my Daughters garden through
out the year, May and August being the best times, so I've added a few shots, I couldn't pick out my favourite shot :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_3510.jpeg
IMG_3732.jpeg
IMG_4687.jpeg
IMG_4679.jpeg
IMG_3848 (2).jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Holly Blue

I saw a good number of these early in the year but very few sat and posed for me. It wasn’t really until the late summer when I started visiting Shipton that they started appearing in photogenic positions. Indeed my favourite came this very site. I chose it as I like the contrast between the clean fresh white of the butterfly and its choice of lunch.
03-08-2021 9.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

As always, I have far too many examples from my local patch to choose from easily. Here are just two, both from August's second brood, which show that both the colour and the texture of the blue is different between the sexes.
HB3 310721.JPG
HB6 270721.JPG
After a very slow start in spring round here, the species did well over the summer and produced a notable third brood through October and November.

I think I probably derive more pleasure watching this species than any other over the course of the year... :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent numbers at my prime site on the Gower in 2021:
1HBups(1).jpg
19.HBx2(1).jpg
A.HBfem(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some superb photos in this thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D
Unfortunately Holly blues had a below average season around my patch and although both spring and second broods (only ever get two broods here) turned up both in my garden and at most of my local spots, it was mostly in ones and twos and numbers never seemed to build. These were nearly always on the move or settled out of reach and I did not get a single photo that I was happy with this year, the best being these of a summer brood male that paused for a brief stop in his travels in my garden.
Holly Blue - Coverdale 23.07.2021
Cheers,

Neil.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Holly Blue had a decent year around here.

Not the world's greatest photo but it captures something of the character of the species.
P8020001.jpg

Return to “Holly Blue”