Andalucia

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Matsukaze

Re: Andalucia

Post by Matsukaze »

Dsc00875.jpg
Lang's Short-tailed Blue this morning. There were plenty of these around; also numbers of Long-tailed Blue and Small White, and a scattering/singletons of Painted Lady, Speckled Wood and Clouded Yellow.
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Nice photo. I did see a few last month in Andalucia. Looks like it's feeding on Dittrichia viscosa, which is an excellent nectar plant in late summer/autumn. I even saw a Monarch on a single plant by a busy road.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

My Spanish isn't really up to understanding it, but there seems to be concern about Euchloe bazae - something to do with a high tension line being built through its habitat. Does anyone know anything further about this?
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:47 pm My Spanish isn't really up to understanding it, but there seems to be concern about Euchloe bazae - something to do with a high tension line being built through its habitat. Does anyone know anything further about this?
Where have you found out about this issue affecting bazae, Chris?
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Facebook - the bit of infrastructure in question is Línea Alta Tensión 400KV Caparacena Baza (a line of pylons, as far as I can tell). I do not know whether this represents a genuine threat to the butterfly or not.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Matsukaze wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:47 pm Facebook - the bit of infrastructure in question is Línea Alta Tensión 400KV Caparacena Baza (a line of pylons, as far as I can tell). I do not know whether this represents a genuine threat to the butterfly or not.
Looking into this in a bit more detail, this also includes creating "tens of thousands of acres" of solar plants, masses of photovoltaic panels across the landscape. Such solar farms are usually placed on flat, or gently sloping south-facing terrain, so within the landscape of the Hoya de Baza that would presumably mean siting them on the existing agricultural land pockets between the hills, rather than on the hillsides themselves.

The visual effect on this rural and unique area of Spain would be devastating, the effect on local farming communities similar, so no surprise at all that the locals are so opposed to the development.

How it would affect Euchloe bazae is difficult to predict. The "hilltopping" habitat would presumably be safe enough, but the butterfly does lay eggs around the edges of the agricultural pockets of land, where the larval foodplant is most common. Conversion from agriculture to solar farms could actually have a positive effect if less pesticide/agrichemicals are used, but from what I have seen of photovoltaic fields in the UK, the areas around the solar cells are usually kept completely clear of vegetation, which would clearly not be good.

As bazae is already rare and said to be declining in the area, any change in land usage that creates a potential threat is a big concern...
David M

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:19 am...Looking into this in a bit more detail, this also includes creating "tens of thousands of acres" of solar plants, masses of photovoltaic panels across the landscape. Such solar farms are usually placed on flat, or gently sloping south-facing terrain, so within the landscape of the Hoya de Baza that would presumably mean siting them on the existing agricultural land pockets between the hills, rather than on the hillsides themselves.
This doesn't look good, I have to say. I'm sure bazae is protected in Spain and it only occurs at Hoya de Baza and one other small area in Spain so you'd have to say it's continued survival is very much of concern.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I have just returned from a few days with family near Malaga for the first time since early 2020. I wasn't really looking for butterflies, but there were a fair few about, including the first wild Monarchs I have ever seen, the big orange butterflies flying at top-of-hedgerow height around low-rise hotels and town house gardens along the coast. Also Lang's Short-tailed Blue and Red Admiral, both in some numbers, Brimstone/Cleopatra (females in flight), Bath White, Large White, probably Small White and a Brown Argus which I think is Aricia crameri.
PB010040.JPG
PB020057.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Great to know you saw a few Monarchs, Chris.

Lang's Short Tailed Blue being common doesn't surprise me - I saw a few hundred last month near Tarifa.

Your Argus will be cramera that far south.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Malaga area, 6-7 December - several Red Admirals, Cleopatra (m & f), Geranium Bronzes.
PC070059.JPG
PC070062.JPG
PC070066.JPG
In winter here it is easier to imagine the landscape in peak butterfly season, compared with in England. This woodland track supports dozens of Spanish Gatekeepers in May, and I could easily picture them there.
Dsc02991.jpg
In case anyone is interested in looking for butterflies at the eastern end of the Serrania de Mijas in the near future, there is shrimp paste available from a small Asian food shop near the train station at Los Boliches.
David M

Post by David M »

Glad you managed to get away, Chris. That sunlit track looks particularly inviting given the cold, wind and cloud here at the moment. :mrgreen:
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Just back from a few days in southern Spain. Between family commitments and the weather I only really got an hour to look for butterflies, checking out a low hill about 15 minutes' walk from my mother's apartment. Why I have only been there twice in the 20 years I have been visiting the area I don't know - it's been good for butterflies both times. It looks like a good hill-topping site.

9 species - Small, Large and Dappled White, Clouded Yellow, Wall, Red Admiral, Swallowtail, Iberian Swallowtail, Lang's Short-tailed Blue; also possibly Green-striped White. Going by the vegetation, it was too early for Black-eyed Blue, and it was a surprise not to see Spanish Festoon.
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:51 pm...9 species - Small, Large and Dappled White, Clouded Yellow, Wall, Red Admiral, Swallowtail, Iberian Swallowtail, Lang's Short-tailed Blue; also possibly Green-striped White. Going by the vegetation, it was too early for Black-eyed Blue, and it was a surprise not to see Spanish Festoon.
Very decent selection, Chris. I wonder whether your 'Dappled White' might have been Portuguese?
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The ones I photographed were all standard Dappled Whites IMO, though there could have been other species amongst them as they were very active, with quite a mechanical/systematic quality to their flight rather than the flutteriness of the Orange-tip. There could have been other species among them - I did think one might have been Green-striped, which I have seen on this site before.

The Swallowtails were playing chase at the top of the hill, with something of the quality of vanessids in spring about them.
Dsc03066.jpg
Dsc03070.jpg
Dsc03077.jpg
Dsc03083.jpg
Dsc03084.jpg
Dsc03085.jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

IMG-20221122-WA0000.jpg
P1020140.jpg
P1020136.jpg
African Grass Blue and Lang's Short-tailed Blue near Malaga this weekend.
David M

Post by David M »

What is the flower the Lang's are feeding from, Chris?
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:51 pm What is the flower the Lang's are feeding from, Chris?
That's Lantana camara David
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Thank you, Paul. I see it's a member of the verbena family. Looks like the kind of flower that would be attractive to insects in my garden!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:01 pm Thank you, Paul. I see it's a member of the verbena family. Looks like the kind of flower that would be attractive to insects in my garden!
I'm not sure it's cold hardy but it is a staple nectar source in pretty much every tropical butterfly house I've ever visited! I think it's a tropical plant and is considered invasive in the med.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

On this board there's an old discussion topic on Lantana, available via the search function on the site, which suggests it's probably not worth bothering with as a nectar source here, though it can be grown as an annual under British conditions. I haven't noticed it being used much in Spain, either - that Lang's is the only butterfly I can recall using it.

Hopeful of getting my Asclepias curassavica seedlings through the winter to see what is attracted to that in a British summer...

Return to “Overseas”