Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 1

Another year and another set of Favourite Photos! I swear it comes round quicker and quicker!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Also a quick reminder that it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2021 first so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Anyway in the words of Eric Robson; “Onwards and upwards”.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Wolfson

Re: Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by Wolfson »

I live a few miles from an Adonis site where I spent much of the last two summers. Not complaining but I do have rather more photographs of Adonis Blue than I probably need. In September, I sat watching a female being persistently harassed by an eager male and have chosen a photograph of this encounter. Since Adonis Blue is one of my favourite species and no other posts on this thread, I have added a couple of other photographs that I rather like.
Attachments
Adonis Blue, September 2021
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

This one for the joy of finding one roosting on a rampion
Attachments
Blue and Dew
Blue and Dew
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Adonis Blue

Well a cracking species to get the ball rolling with! This one was taken during the first brood back in early June at Martin Down. I’d taken the girls out for a walk in the dull grey that ensued through a lot of the early summer and after lots of time with some cracking Small Blues, Grizzlies and also finding some lovely Burnt-tip Orchids we’d ended up walking the first half of Bokerley and had reached the hollow at the Hotspot. There were plenty of Adonis flying but this one was my favourite as it sat in such a way as to reveal the various different hues and tones of the stunning electric blue; from the more muted pastel blue right the way through to the near white when the light hit it just so.
AB 03-06-2021 16.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

2021 was only the second year in which I have managed to see both broods of Adonis Blue. A family holiday to Dorset in June provided loads of first brood whose emergence seemed to be a bit later than usual due to the poor spring weather.
A trip to see our daughter at her new home near Portsmouth in early September gave me the opportunity to visit Old Winchester Hill where I saw good numbers of second brood.
I took loads of photos of males, as usual trying to catch that elusive electric blue sheen, but my favourite shot of the year is going to be this unusually blue female seen at Durdle Door in June.
Adonis Blue female - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Adonis Blue female - Durdle Door 12.06.2021
Cheers,

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Didn't see many of these this year, they seemed to have a below average season, presumably the temperature sensitive larvae not particularly enjoying 2021. Both these males were taken at Mill Hill, one from each brood and both displaying the row of hindwing spots which apparently makes them an aberration, despite this form making up a large proportion (50%?) of what I see every year.
Adonis Blue male, Mill Hill, Shoreham #1.JPG
Adonis Blue male, Mill Hill, Shoreham #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I saw reasonable numbers of this species in both broods at both Denbies and Aston Rowant, but nothing special and the second brood seemed a very drawn-out affair (probably because of the lack of sunshine in August). Both the varieties in the male that Bugboy mentions (with black marginal spots and without) were well represented at both sites, and aside from slight differences in colour which are often down to the angle of the light and the age of the butterfly there is not a lot of variety with this sex. The females are a different matter though, and some are really striking (like the one Neil F. posted above - an absolute cracker! :) :mrgreen: ). This one from Denbies seen on 29th August is a bit more subtle, but the contrast between the dark background and the streamers of sparkling blue gives it considerable appeal in my book.
AB18 290821.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:40 pmI took loads of photos of males, as usual trying to catch that elusive electric blue sheen, but my favourite shot of the year is going to be this unusually blue female seen at Durdle Door in June.
Sublime specimen is that, Neil. What a moment. :mrgreen:
David M

Post by David M »

Only saw the one in the UK this year, at Rodborough Common at the end of May. However, it was a mint fresh individual:
29.Adonis1(1).jpg
overthepass

Post by overthepass »

Two males apparently deep in conversation (spring generation) and a mating pair (late summer generation), both from Denbies Hillside.
Attachments
Adonis Blues (2).jpg
Adonis Blues (1).jpg

Return to “Adonis Blue”