Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Allan.W.

Re: Maximus

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Maximus ,
Your last moth is a Copper Underwing or a Svennsons Copper underwing ,difficult to tell apart without seeing the underside (and then not straightforward ) ,your second last could be an abberant Copper Underwing ,or a species closely related which doesn,t appear in the UK.
Your Willow Beauty ,i think could be the "Engrailed"
Regards Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Just looking back at your recent posts and have to offer a :mrgreen: for the Lesser Purple Emperors, Mike, closely followed by another one :mrgreen: for the Sooty Coppers. It is such a shame that the Channel is an insurmountable barrier to the latter reaching the south of the UK as I'm sure they'd thrive in southern England. :)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Splendid selection of moths, Mike. :mrgreen:

Your garden seems to attract a considerable range of insects. Are you near woodland?
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks for the moth ID's, Allan, very much appreciated :)

They should both be there, Dave, the climate in northern France is the same as the southern UK.

Thanks, David, yes we have woodland all around us, perhaps that explains why we have seen both, Purple Emperor and Silver-washed Fritillary in our garden.

Some recent photos from our garden, I have not posted recently as applying for our residency card has taken precedent, and our time :shock: However I have been keeping up with other personal diaries :) Painted Ladies have been a feature over here and some very fresh individuals have been seen.

P1060793Resize.JPG
P1060828Resize.JPG

Also this lovely fresh female Wall Brown appeared on the verbena, yesterday..

P1060998Resize.JPG
P1070008.jpgAResize.JPG
P1070003Resize.JPG

..and then today this beautiful Painted Lady appeared briefly on our verbena, when the sun finally broke through.

P1390020.jpgAResize.JPG
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Several fresh 'French' Speckled Woods spotted in our garden recently..

P1380668Resize.JPG
P1380674Resize.JPG

and several Peacocks nectaring on marigold flowers in our polytunnel..

P1070025Resize.JPG

.. and a very large female Wasp Spider on a fence post (the post is 3 inch diameter) giving scale to her size!

P1390018Resize.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Maximus wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:55 pmThanks, David, yes we have woodland all around us, perhaps that explains why we have seen both, Purple Emperor and Silver-washed Fritillary in our garden.
Thanks, Mike. You truly are blessed! Good luck with the residency card.

Your Speckled Wood looks a bit like an intermediate form between aegeria and tircis. Do you ever see the paler form round your area?
trevor

Post by trevor »

Spectacular Specklies Mike.
Spiders don't worry me at all, but I would not like to find that one in the bath !.

All the best, stay well.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking Walls Maximus :D 8) :mrgreen: Really like the Specklie as well - less orange than some I've seen in Portugal but not the brown and cream of the UK 8) Seeing that intermediate type does make me wonder about the taxonomy and how realistic all the 'splitting' is but then I see your cracking shots and forget all that as I enjoy looking at them so much :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, David :) It would be interesting to know for certain whether the the Speckled Woods in Normandy are an intermediate form. Following photo is the palest one I've seen here.

Thanks, Trevor, perhaps in the shower would not be so bad :lol:

Thanks, Wurzel, having Wall Browns in our garden is a real bonus :) I don't keep up with all the taxonomic data, but, like you, I just enjoy seeing the Specklies around :D

Pale, Speckled Wood.

It is a little worn, but looks like it was pale anyway.
It is a little worn, but looks like it was pale anyway.

Some recent shots from our garden. Small Coppers have appeared recently including several of the blue badge variety..

P1390072Resize.JPG
P1070058Resize.JPG

and a different individual..

P1390108Resize.JPG

.. a 'normal' individual..

P1390135Resize.JPG

..and some more male Wall browns, looking for a female, not much chance for a few days now!

P1070084Resize.JPG
P1390118Resize.JPG
P1390155ResizeA.JPG
P1390171Resize.JPG

Until this bad weather arrived on Friday, butterfly numbers have been very good. Plenty of (second brood) Peacocks, Red Admirals and Large and Small Whites around. Small Tortoiseshells have disappeared into hibernation (I know where several are hiding out), Brimstones went about a month ago. We also have some first instar Large White cats and a batch of yet unhatched eggs (removed from our cabbages) in our rearing cage, they are leaving it a bit late!
That could be it now until spring, but you can never be sure.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking Walls Maximus - especially the final shot 8) :mrgreen: You can never have enough Walls I reckon :D Interstign to read that you seem to be experiencing a similar 'end of the season' feeling over there as here each sighting now feels like it could be the last for the year :? Spring 2022 can't come quick enough :wink: :lol:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful Small Coppers & Wall Browns, Mike, but the Speckled Wood stands out; it is very unusually marked and is more akin (on the forewings at least) to our own tircis form.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers, Wurzel, it's getting very near to the last sightings of 2021 here, now, sadly :(

Thanks, David, I've seen a couple more Speckled Woods like that since.

3rd October

This morning I went out to check if the polytunnel was still there after last nights gale, quite surprisingly it was in one piece. Even more surprising was that there were three freshly emerged Peacocks inside, nectaring on the companion planted marigolds. These were the end result of cats that had left the nearby nettles and crawled into the tunnel to pupate. I ushered the Peacocks out and then spotted another butterfly at the far end of the tunnel also nectaring on some marigolds. It turned out to be a male Wall Brown, which must have found the gap at the top of the doors and entered the tunnel to escape from the howling wind and torrential rain. There he found shelter from the elements and a ready supply of nectar..

P1070088Resize.JPG
P1070087Resize.JPG

...and another Wall, sitting on our window sill..

P1070100Resize.JPG

..and some Peacocks, a lone Comma, Red Admiral and Small Tortoiseshell nectaring on the verbena outside our front door :)

P1070118Resize.JPG
P1390172Resize.JPG
P1390180Resize.JPG
P1390206Resize.JPG
P1390183Resize.JPG
P1390216Resize.JPG

Although there are generally less butterflies about now, probably due to the colder nights of late, there are still some feeding up on the verbena and ivy. The last few days have been nice and sunny, long may it continue :)
David M

Post by David M »

Looks like that polytunnel is extremely useful for reasons other than what it was designed for, Mike. :)

Nice to see a few Peacocks; I haven't seen any since August although there are still Torties, Commas, Red Admirals and Whites around my way.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a pretty good haul for pottering about in the garden Mike :wink: 8) As those Walls are males and still in a reasonable nick perhaps there will be some butterflies around for a while yet as the females can't be too far behind? Here's hoping for you :D

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Yes the polytunnel also works well as a butterfly trap/environment, David, with a plentiful nectar :)

There's always something to be found in our garden, Wurzel :) I've been keeping a look out for late female Walls, no luck so far, but here's hoping. The males are looking, I watched one checking out every light coloured fallen leaf, recently.

A couple of shots from the last two days. The colder nights here have seen butterfly numbers plummet, with the hibernators tucking themselves away.

A very fresh Painted Lady, seen yesterday, nectaring on viburnum.
A very fresh Painted Lady, seen yesterday, nectaring on viburnum.

Small Copper nectaring on verbena, this morning.
Small Copper nectaring on verbena, this morning.

A nicely marked Speckled Wood, one of several seen this morning.
A nicely marked Speckled Wood, one of several seen this morning.

There were also a couple of Peacocks and Red Admirals nectaring on ivy flowers.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I do like the "half-and-half" Speckled Woods you get where you are, Mike. Far more attractive than either the UK version or the one from southern Europe! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking end of the season Painted Lady Maximus, very dusky-maiden-esque :D :mrgreen: 8) I was down to Red Admirals and Small Whites at the weekend a sure sign that the rotund diva is having some 'Zoobs which are good for her tubes' :? :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That really is an interestingly marked Speckled Wood, Mike. If the two forms overlap I see no reason why they wouldn't hybridise.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

They're not half bad, Dave :lol: but seriously, there appear to be various forms of Specklie here, very attractive they are too :)

Cheers, Wurzel, she was a great find. The rotund diva may not yet be ready for her zoobs, not quite yet :o :) :lol:

Yes, she did have nice markings, David, perhaps they do hybridise as you suggest :) a shot of a well marked dusky female SW seen last year.

P1360218.jpgAResize.JPG

After last nights cool temperatures I wasn't expecting much butterfly activity today. However, a few were seen when the late autumn sun had warmed them up :)

Comma.
Comma.
Speckled Wood.
Speckled Wood.
Peacock on ivy.
Peacock on ivy.
Red Admiral on ivy.
Red Admiral on ivy.

Long may it continue :D it's a while until spring is here :(
David M

Post by David M »

You certainly have more about than we do here, Mike. Since the weather turned wet mid-month there are just a few Red Admirals on the wing.

Roll on spring!

Return to “Personal Diaries”