Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many, many ,thanks everyone for your posts, they're spurring me on :D

When I got home I felt quite exhausted, we were out every day looking around, I'm hoping every thing goes smoothly then I can relax :)

The weather here for the last week has been really good, I've been busy sorting stuff out but also when I could nipping into the garden with the camera, the Tortoiseshell have been visiting, also Speckled Wood, Peacock's , Red Admiral's and even a Holly Blue, that one didn't stop :D One of the Tortoiseshells looked darker than usual, it could have been the light though.

Today I found a Male and Female Small White in the Lavender , the Male was persistent but I don't think she wanted to know :D

I was surprised with the Speckled Wood, I didn't realise their under wing was so nicely patterned , unlike the shot of the peacocks under wing which is so dark, yet, even that stands out when the Sun catches it . I get quite excited when I think of what I may see next year,( Hope fully) having seen a Tortoiseshell at Temple Ewell I won't miss out on them :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4814.jpeg
IMG_4763.jpeg
IMG_4772.jpeg
IMG_4793.jpeg
IMG_4805.jpeg
IMG_4802.jpeg
IMG_4808.jpeg
0C7BC3DC-2C34-4F31-B4A2-48D320CC2A64.jpeg
24530777-581D-44EF-BF63-34F1EE1E15E2.jpeg
4E8EF05B-A6E3-424D-918C-7B5B32A99360.jpeg
907BB0D9-13A7-4C94-9AAD-725E766448A1.jpeg
31562B7A-2E59-46B8-BB28-C43AF95AB769.jpeg
9D7D7434-FDAB-47B6-BE5E-DF28689457CC.jpeg
14493FAC-C851-4EB3-840E-9DBE49A68A31.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Small White females definitely has a headache Goldie :shock: :lol: The undersides of Specklies are undervalued - if you take a good look at them you can find all sorts of colours/hues :D Hope things run smoothly! 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I think you’ll be alright in Wingham, Goldie. A nice little place in it’s own right, and plenty of great butterfly and wild flower sites, including orchids, nearby.

Good luck with the big move when it happens!
David M

Post by David M »

Those are great in-flight images of the Small Whites, Goldie. :mrgreen:

I like the last Speckled Wood photo too. The warm light and the yellow flower set it off perfectly.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Excellent action shots of the Small Whites, Goldie. :mrgreen: :) I tried to capture something similar with GVW the other day and had to delete every one of the photos... :)

Good luck with your move too - I'm sure you'll settle in really quickly and enjoy life in East Kent.

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to the move and hoping everything goes smoothly but it could be a few weeks yet, time to get with it and and sort things out which is wondering what to take and what to leave :D

I was wondering Wurzel about the Peacocks and when they decide to Hibernate for the Winter, I was coming out of the Garage when one flew passed me coming in :D I thought it was bit soon although the weather is much cooler now :? :D

I believe essex that there's a great Pub in the village has well :D according to my Grandson :D I think I'll be be getting a few family visitors :D

Thanks David, I was pleased to see the Speckie, I've not taken many shots of them this year, your right about the yellow flower it's a favourite too with the other Butterflies :lol: ( The flower is called Rudbeckia.)

My Camera is good for quick shots but like you Dave not every time :lol: this time I was lucky. :D I'm looking forward to next year now and what I might find in the meadows that seem to surround the Village :D

I'm still looking out for the Butterflies in my garden, still seeing RA, and ST'S but mostly the Whites arrive every few seconds they don't stay too long unless like the shots I took they find a Female :lol: Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Had my lunch in the garden yesterday surrounded by lots of Butterflies, :D a Small White was enjoying the flowers of my Chives when she was suddenly disturbed by a passing Male, this time advances were excepted :D

The Small Tortoiseshell was also attracted to the Chives and of course I just had to take a few shots :D after being in the chives for a good time it then rested on my garden Elephant :lol:

The Speckled Wood loved my Orange Budlieia which I'm quite proud of because I grew it from a Cutting, :D it's the cutting back when it's flowered that I don't like :D

Any way it's back to the chores for this week and a cuppa first :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4956.jpeg
IMG_4959.jpeg
IMG_4947.jpeg
IMG_4945.jpeg
IMG_4950.jpeg
IMG_4920.jpeg
IMG_4914.jpeg
IMG_4913.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Small Torts and the Small Whites in cop Goldie 8) I always think that Peacocks are one of the earliest to bed Goldie, the slightest chill and they're off! :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Not often you see a Specklie on a buddleia, Goldie! :mrgreen:

Good work with the mating pair of Small Whites, as well as your last image of the female. Very nice.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks for your posts Wurzel and David, these last few days have been really hot up here but I bet more so in the South .

I can't spend too much time these days with the Butterflies , I never realised just how much you can store a way over the years in your house :roll: I think I'll keep the charity shops going for years and I've even had a skip to get rid of stuff as well :D

Things are going okay but I'm so busy I can't even read too many posts, :D hope fully things will slow down soon, I've just the attic to sort out now and goodness knows what I'll find up there :roll:

I did wonder about the Peacock's I've not seen one for a while since I saw the one in the garage so it looks like your right about them Wurzel but the Red Admiral's are still around,

Thunder storms are forecast for here tomorrow hope the butterflies are okay. Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hope fully this time next week I'll be packed up and on my way to Kent :D

Boy ,it's been a trial and tribulation :roll: I never realised what junk I'd collected :roll: I think I'll be keeping the Charity shops going all year not to mention the junk yard :D

Not fixed properly yet had to store my stuff but at least i'll be making the move and really looking forward to seeing the Butterflies next year, who knows maybe I'll still catch a few before the year ends :D

I hope to catch up on the posts I've missed and should now have the time, my Daughter 's taking control for a few weeks :D

That's all my news , hope every one is still being safe and well, Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good luck with your move Goldie, and welcome to the South!.

Best wishes, and stay well,
Trevor.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Come on then Goldie ! if you,re Quick you may get a few Clouded Yellows and Small Coppers before seasons end !!
Seriously though ............Good luck with the move ,and i hope all goe,s well for you ,i,m sure we,ll bump into each other somewhere along the line !!
Regards Allan.W.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I hope all goes well with your move, Goldie. I shall miss your reports from my old haunts in Lancashire.
Mike
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Good luck with your move Goldie :) . Once you get your new garden go and find as much Candy tuft as you can and photograph any Small White that shows an interest in it, especially if it starts laying eggs on it :wink:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good luck with the move, hope all goes well Goldie :D 8) You're bound to get some Grizzlies now :wink:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pmHope fully this time next week I'll be packed up and on my way to Kent...
Great news, Goldie. You've moved ever so quickly on this and we'll all look forward to hearing your reports once you're settled in down south.

All the best with it. Moving house can be a lot of work and frustration but you are doing the right thing. :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks everybody for your posts, the move went smoothly and I'm now at my Daughters, the place I was going to get here as been a struggle for the man, he's not been able to buy any thing . I'm still in a good position with having sold mine and being able to stay here until I find some thing else. ( my stuffs gone into storage for a while)

I feel really excited, when I left the Bungalow I brought some things with me out of the garden , couldn't put them in storage but they'll do here until I get sorted.

Sad about leaving but the last three years and covid , made my mind up for me. New Chapter, New beginnings.

One of my friends bought me a plant hanger from the Isle-of-Mull it's made of wroughtIron and in it's centre there's a lovely painted Red Admiral, I've brought it with me, I'm looking forward to seeing next years butterflies now and yes Wurzel, hope fully that Grizzled Skipper :lol: Thanks again every one Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Congratulations on getting the difficult bit out of the way, and welcome to the South of England, Goldie! Your wonderful positive attitude is an inspiration to us all and I hope you find your own place really soon and can set about attracting butterflies to it. :)

All the best,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Dave, since I got here the weather's not been too kind :D I've not had a chance to look round yet with trying to get sorted here with the things I brought with me but should get going this next week. :D

Before I left I managed to take a few shots of the garden (nostalgic) this was the 16th Sept (too busy from then on) today however
the weather calmed down and I managed a shot of a Red Admiral , after the storm we had yesterday it was slightly dishevelled :D
I've also seen a few Whites flying through, none of them landing :roll:

Tomorrow I'll start my search, hoping some thing not too expensive will be there :D Goldie :D
Attachments
This morning
This morning
9C058ACA-1EA4-4FA8-A22A-2F2FBD8D7879.jpeg
27CCB91F-AAED-4435-928E-5839DD008F72.jpeg
1661A3E8-2660-41B1-B7DF-E004818CE8D9.jpeg
4E5B72D0-0A07-4EEC-BB59-9D9C1F23D115.jpeg

Return to “Personal Diaries”