Ab. or just an End of Life Meadow Brown ?

Discussion forum for sightings.
Devon Dave

Ab. or just an End of Life Meadow Brown ?

Post by Devon Dave »

Photographed this apparently extremely faded and torn end of Life Meadow Brown or could it have been an Ab form? It looked almost white in flight and caught my attention amongst many normal Meadow Browns. Any thought welcome.
Attachments
DSCN0395.JPG
DSCN0399.JPG
Allan.W.

Re: Ab. or just an End of Life Meadow Brown ?

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Dave ,
I reckon its AB; Alba ,and actually not in too bad nick ! ...................Nice find !
Regards Allan.W.
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Many thanks for that information Allan. It was very white whilst in flight. After my first photos it flew up and got stuck in a Spiders Web, so I got a couple more photos then I broke the web and released it. It then took its fortunate freedom and flew happily away over the bushes , hopefully to live another day.
Cheers,
Dave
Attachments
DSCN0408.JPG
DSCN0409.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

So late in the season, I'm not so sure.

I saw several female Meadow Browns the other day at a coastal site near me. All were showing similar kinds of wear to the images above.
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Thank you for that observation also David, it remains a bit of a mystery to me as well, and is why I posted it for any comments,
Happy Hunting yourself,
Dave.
David M

Post by David M »

I think to be sure you need to see a selection of Meadow Browns at this time of year, Dave. If they are all looking equally pallid, that suggests general lifecycle wear rather than aberration.

There's no doubt that such individuals seen in the early part of the flight season would be aberrants, but at this stage, I err towards this being natural wear.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

For me ,the markings are too uniform ,and also show very pale hindwings and body ........................I found 2 Meadow Browns at Dungeness this afternoon ,1 fresh and one worn. Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:13 pm For me ,the markings are too uniform ,and also show very pale hindwings and body ........................I found 2 Meadow Browns at Dungeness this afternoon ,1 fresh and one worn. Allan.W.
That's a good point, Allan. In my area we don't get any late emergences of this species, so any around in the second half of September are always approaching the end of their days.

Of course, if you have fresh individuals flying alongside elderly ones, then the picture is far less clear.

Return to “Sightings”