David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
kevling

Re: David M

Post by kevling »

Loving those female Brown Hairstreaks David. Great images.

Regards Kev
David M

Post by David M »

Maximus wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:43 pmLovely Brown Hairstreaks, David, and great shots :mrgreen: Glad that they're doing better than you thought they would, they look in really good nick for this time of the year
Thanks, Mike. I reckon they are about a week or so behind normal as by this time they are usually showing slight (or even moderate) wing damage. Hardly a mark on these three though, which was very satisfying.

Monday 23rd August – Unfinished business…

Although I saw 3 Brown Hairstreaks at West Williamston the previous day, what I had really hoped to accomplish was to test my theory that the females would be down in numbers to lay having had the previous few days written off by the weather.

Sunday had also been almost completely cloudy, so when Monday dawned bright, sunny and calm I repeated my journey and arrived at the site just prior to 10am.

Having been concerned about the future of the colony here these last few years due to extensive ash die-back, many of those fears were allayed today as I equalled my second best ever return of 7 females and even got to see a male low down in one of the remaining, healthy ash trees.

Clearly, the females were keen to get down to business as I found my first one at 10.29:
23.BH1(1).jpg
By 10.40, I’d found a second:
23.BH2(1).jpg
23.BH2uns(1).jpg
I watched this individual for about 10 minutes or so as she alternated between crawling amongst the blackthorn stems and basking. I’d barely moved away when I found a third at 11.04 – this one was the only worn-looking specimen seen:
23.BH3(1).jpg
The only individual I wasn’t able to photograph was #4, seen at 11.15 and out of reach of my camera having flown into a sunken area of blackthorn and bramble.

At half past eleven, I went back in the field adjacent to the car park, and duly found a further three here, the first being seen at 11.40:
23.BH5(1).jpg
23.Habitat(1).jpg
The one in best condition was found at 12.01 quite close to the exit. She was an absolute beauty:
23.BH6(1).jpg
23.BH6uns(1).jpg
23.BH6ups(1).jpg
23.BH6uns2(1).jpg
23.BH6ups2(1).jpg
The final one was found in the same area at 12.48, though the slight wing wear and the missing antennal tip proved it was a different individual:
23.BH7ups(1).jpg
23.BH7uns(1).jpg
It had become increasingly cloudy just after midday, and by 1.15pm I decided to leave, which was a little frustrating, as had it remained sunny I may have beaten my record of 9 in a single day at this site. However, there are no complaints as this was a highly productive and enjoyable day.

I hope to return at some point in September for an egg count.
David M

Post by David M »

kevling wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:54 amLoving those female Brown Hairstreaks David. Great images.
Thanks, Kev. I'm not used to seeing them in such good condition. Usually, by late August they're a little worn but they are about a week behind normal so they're looking very nice.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

A beauty indeed! I am glad they are doing well on your site.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Wonderful Brown hairstreak shots, David, glad that they are doing ok in your part of the UK :)
millerd

Post by millerd »

Your noon Hairstreak is as near perfect a specimen as you'll get, David. They seem to acquire scuffs and nicks so quickly (all that creeping down the stems of thorn bushes to lay eggs must be what does it!). Great shots. :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

You've obviously caught your local Brown Hairstreaks just right David.
Are the males as elusive there as they are at Steyning ?.

Wonderful shots, stay well.
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Katrina wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:42 amA beauty indeed! I am glad they are doing well on your site.
Maximus wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:05 pmWonderful Brown hairstreak shots, David, glad that they are doing ok in your part of the UK
Thanks, Katrina/Mike. The egg count I undertake later this month should give me a clearer indication of how they're doing. Looks promising given the numbers of adults seen during my two visits though.
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:20 pmYour noon Hairstreak is as near perfect a specimen as you'll get, David. They seem to acquire scuffs and nicks so quickly (all that creeping down the stems of thorn bushes to lay eggs must be what does it!). Great shots.
Thanks, Dave. I'm not used to seeing them in such condition down this neck of the woods. By late August, most females have got obvious wear. The 'noon' one has only a couple of very minor blemishes and is one of the nicest I've ever seen here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Those are some gorgeous Hairstreaks! If Bookham hadn't been so productive this year I'd be hitting that little green man a few times!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:24 pmYou've obviously caught your local Brown Hairstreaks just right David.
Are the males as elusive there as they are at Steyning ?
Thanks, Trevor. The males are almost always up in the ash trees (what’s left of them) in early – mid August. I’ve only ever seen three low down in 12 years of visiting the site!
bugboy wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:55 pmThose are some gorgeous Hairstreaks! If Bookham hadn't been so productive this year I'd be hitting that little green man a few times!
Glad you’ve seen a few yourself, Paul. This is a gem of a butterfly and offers a nice way to round off summer.
David M

Post by David M »

Monday 23rd August – West Williamston….

Whilst 8 Brown Hairstreaks was an excellent return, I was slightly disappointed by the general numbers of other butterflies.

Small Tortoiseshells were commonest, with a couple of dozen or so seen, mostly on the sea asters above the high tide mark:
23.WW(1).jpg
Speckled Woods and Large Whites were the only other species to reach double figures, although I was pleased to find a handful of worn, female Hedge Browns still enjoying their final days:
23.HdgBrfem(1).jpg
A few tatty female Silver Washed Fritillaries were also hanging on:
23.SWFfem(1).jpg
Three Common Blues were recorded, along with several Green Veined Whites, three Peacocks & Red Admirals, and solitary Comma and Small White.
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 26th August - Garden delights...

This time last year, my neighbour moved into a different property on my estate (with a large lawn at the front), and has diligently spent all year planting all manner of nectar-bearing flowers. Her rewards have been ample, as almost every time the sun is out there are clusters of butterflies on her buddleias, verbena, bowles mauve and scabious.

Red Admirals, Small Tortoiseshells and Small Whites have been the main visitors, but today she had this mint fresh Painted Lady visiting her, which was almost certainly the nicest specimen I've seen this year:
26.PL(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just caught up with your Brown Hairstreaks David, some cracking photos there :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Neil. Was great to see so many of them given how few I've recorded at the site over the previous two years. Maybe things aren't as bad as I feared.

Friday 27th August – Nice variety….

A sunny morning tempted me down to the coast at Port Eynon to see what was about.

I decided I’d count the Small Tortoiseshells to the best of my ability today and the total was an encouraging 36:
27.SmTort(1).jpg
Two species were around in greater numbers though: Meadow Browns and Common Blues, with around 50 of each seen in the grassy dunes:
27.Habitat(1).jpg
Small and Large Whites were both into double figures, with 6 Painted Ladies recorded as well.

A solitary female Hedge Brown was seen, but only one Red Admiral, which was surprising.

Two other species observed – this lovely Small Copper was irresistible:
27.SmCopp(1).jpg
I was also delighted to find another female Wall Brown after seeing one on my previous visit:
27.Wallups(1).jpg
27.Walluns(1).jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to see your female Wall, David ,and that lovely Small Tortoiseshell.
All the Small Torts at Herstmonceux have gone, presumably into hibernation.
Watch this space next year.

Keep well,
Trevor.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

36 is definitely encouraging more than I have ever seen at one site
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:00 pmGood to see your female Wall, David ,and that lovely Small Tortoiseshell.
All the Small Torts at Herstmonceux have gone, presumably into hibernation.
Thanks, Trevor. Wall Browns are always a pleasant surprise on the coast here. Small Tortoiseshells are more reliable, but like round your way, numbers have dropped now although most days there are a handful about.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

A lovely late summer mix David. Small tortoiseshell certainly seems to have done well everywhere with some spectacular social media videos emerging of butterfly filled buddleias from the Southwest to Cumbria and right up into the Cairngorms. We’ve even done pretty well in Sussex as Trevor will tell you! Now if someone could just explain exactly why all these very different places have boomed that’d be super……
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Yes, a great late summer mix of butterflies, David :) Small Tortoiseshell numbers for September have been high here too, as have second brood Peacocks, not sure why :?:

Return to “Personal Diaries”