TWO BLUES AND SS SKIPPER DORSET SITES

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Devon Dave

TWO BLUES AND SS SKIPPER DORSET SITES

Post by Devon Dave »

Hi,
any Dorset members. I am planning to visit Dorset from Devon next week and need a good site for Silver Spotted Skippers, plus Adonis and Chalk Hill Blues. I know Fontmell Down and Martins Down are very reliable for these ,but I am looking for somewhere nearer the Devon/ Dorset border where I can photograph all three, as my travel time is limited to one day only. If anyone can recommend a nearer to Devon border site for all three species mentioned it would be most appreciated. Thanks.
essexbuzzard

Re: TWO BLUES AND SS SKIPPER DORSET SITES

Post by essexbuzzard »

I think Fontmell Down is the furthest west site in the UK for Silver Spotted Skippers, Dave. Adonis and Chalkhill Blues are found further west, including on the isle of Portland, though I don’t think they extend into Devon.
Medard

Post by Medard »

Broughton Down Nature Reserve
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
Hi Dave
I have visited this reserve and seen the species that you are interested in , perhaps a little further East than you would like but the A303 is an easy drive up from Exeter , sometimes congested with holiday makers at the weekend.
I canl send you directions if it's of interest
Limited parking here. 51° 5'28.72"N 1°34'18.70"W
https://www.hiwwt.org.uk/nature-reserve ... re-reserve
Attachments
Silver spotted Skipper (Hesperia comma).Broughton Down.
Silver spotted Skipper (Hesperia comma).Broughton Down.
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Many thanks indeed for that most helpful response, I will research the site and just keep praying we get a change to warmer sunnier weather soon. Its really been a shocking year for Butterfly photography.
Kindest regards,
Dave.
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

essexbuzzard wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:21 pm I think Fontmell Down is the furthest west site in the UK for Silver Spotted Skippers, Dave. Adonis and Chalkhill Blues are found further west, including on the isle of Portland, though I don’t think they extend into Devon.
Many thanks for your thoughts, I am still thinking of somewhere and Fontmell Down is probably my best option, Now need some good weather to arrive in Dorset, its awful in Devon just grey clouds everyday. Cheers, Dave.
David M

Post by David M »

Devon Dave wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:32 pm...its awful in Devon just grey clouds everyday.
You should try Swansea, Dave! :(

Wish I'd never come back from Spain.
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Thanks for the tip Dave, I think I will just emigrate to Spain myself and never get a summer like this one again !
Dave.

Return to “Sites”