Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Taking another look at the photos, Wurzel, it looks like the larva do actually hatch from the bottom of the egg. Looks like they chew around the bottom edge but not quite all the way around. They appear to leave a ‘flap’ of eggshell to keep the eggs below attached and have just enough space to crawl out. Amazing that they know just how much to leave uncut :shock:

It is fascinating, Katrina, there’s always something more to learn.

Thanks, David, another butterfly that would make a great addition to the the UK list. Apart from the possibility that the strings of eggs resemble nettle flowers, I also cannot think of a another reason for this strategy.

Thanks, Dave, I’m also fairly sure that this species would be most welcome in the UK. Although they spend the winter as a pupa, I don’t think this would be a problem, as the winter weather here in northern France is the same as in the south of the UK.

Since moving to France, and having a large garden, we have been spending plenty of time working outside. One thing guaranteed to stop work is whenever a Swallowtail appears. We will never tire of watching them gliding majestically around our garden, before finally being lost from view either in search of nectar or to oviposit on the fennel, of which there is plenty.

P1370457Resize.JPG
P1070082Resize.JPG

P1070085Resize.JPG
P1070104Resize.JPG
P1070121Resize.JPG

I must have missed the first instar, but I think that these are second, third and fourth instar stages.

P1070128Resize.JPG
P1070135Resize.JPG
P1070183Resize.JPG
P1070184Resize.JPG

We have two 2nd instar and two 4th instar cats windowledging at the moment, as the fennel was flattened by todays strong wind and heavy rain.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I thought your garden would become more productive!. What a thrill !.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Last edited by trevor on Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Fabulous! Can you collect a few up and put them in the post to me please? :wink: :lol:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill images especially the final one with its stripey head 8) :D :mrgreen: Cheers for the Map info form last time :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Wonderful photos - quite a set :D :D :mrgreen: :D
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Your images of the spring brood Map, simply fantastic. What a species to have breeding in your garden! Congratulations! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
David M

Post by David M »

It must be so satisfying that you can follow the development of these Swallowtail larvae in your own garden, Mike. I noted that northern France has been wet and stormy lately. Hope it doesn't do too much damage to the lhps.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Trevor, yes it has become much more productive :)

They are on their way, Pauline :) Not sure what the customs duty will be :shock:

Cheers, Wurzel :)

Thanks, Katrina, much appreciated :)

Thanks, essex, yes we are lucky to have the Maps breeding here :D

It's very satisfying, David, to have Swallowtails in our garden and to be able to watch their development. Yes we've had some rubbish weather of late, hopefully it won't impact on butterfly numbers :)

Thursday 24th June

Given that today would be the only decent day weatherwise for a while, we decided to make our first foray further afield and visit a nature reserve about an hours drive from us. This reserve appears on a French website, https://www.reserves-naturelles.org/carte-des-reserves and is described as a south facing limestone hillside. This sounded from the description that it could be a good site for butterflies, and it also looked good from the satellite view on Google Maps, a large site of 25 hectares.

After a little bit of a glitch with our sat-nav (and were saved by Google Maps on a mobile) we finally arrived at the site around 11am. First impressions were very favourable as a Marbled White flew past as we got out of the car, our first MW of the year. Hurriedly grabbing our gear we passed through the gate onto the reserve proper. In front of us appeared a lovely grassland full of wild flowers, which stretched downhill for some distance before ending at the boundary fence and the adjoining arable field. As we made our way down the hillside to get out of the worst of the breeze, we began to encounter more butterflies. Marbled Whites (we only saw males) appeared to be on every flower head, especially scabious, but they weren’t easy to photograph as the tall stems were waving around in even the slightest breeze.

P1060313Resize.JPG
P1060308Resize.JPG
P1060301Resize.JPG

The exciting thing about butterflying, is that you never know exactly what you are going to find.
Today, totally unexpectedly, we found about a dozen Clouded Yellows flying along the bottom of the slope. I am now pretty sure that these are Bergers Clouded Yellow, as we’ve seen before further south in France. As we watched they would occasionally stop to nectar, usually on a scabious flower, so we set about getting some shots.

P1060364Resize.JPG
P1060365Resize.JPG

Another pleasant surprise was to find a few Pearly Heaths, mainly nectaring on thyme low down in the grass, so only a couple of reasonable shots, we also didn’t expect to see these here, they were among the many Small heaths we also saw on this site. Once again we had only ever seen these further south too.

P1060292Resize.JPG
P1070195Resize.JPG
The final surprise was the discovery of many Violet (Weavers) Fritillaries here. Although most were fairly worn, perhaps our next visit will reveal some second brood individuals.

P1060417Resize.JPG
P1060416Resize.JPG
P1050819Resize.JPG

Also seen were, Meadow Brown, Dark Green Fritillary, Common Blue and Adonis Blue males and females, all worn. So, in all not many species seen, but good numbers of each and we intend to pay another visit to this in a couple of weeks and take a closer look, as we didn’t get to explore the whole of the reserve.

P1060442Resize.JPG
P1060356Resize.JPG
P1060354Resize.JPG

And the site, we saw no signs of any visitation from anybody, no paths through the grass apart from those from the grazers, the signs of which we saw, a lovely site.

P1060286Resize.JPG
P1060396Resize.JPG
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

That deserves a few :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Very nice, and definitely some species I have never seen.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Mike :D Pearly Heaths are lush and I'd quite forgotten that they existed having seen them for the first time a few years back :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I reckon you're right about the Berger's - they don't look quite the same as the normal Cloudy :)

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks for the Mr greens, Katrina, I hope that you get to see some of these species in the future :D

Cheers, Wurzel, Pearly Heaths are a delight, we first saw them in 2018 in the French Pyrenees :)

A couple of extra shots following my last posting.

Lizard Orchid, that's a first for us :) most were almost over, and this one was the best we saw :)

P1070200Resize.JPG
P1070201Resize.JPG

The wide field margin abutting the reserve.

P1060358Resize.JPG
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It's been a good three days butterfly wise here in our garden, between the thundery showers. Firstly we've seen some very fresh Painted Ladies..

P1380234Resize.JPG
P1380250Resize.JPG

Also some lovely Clouded Yellows, mainly nectaring on Knapweed..

P1380279Resize.JPG
P1380285Resize.JPG

And today a lovely (female)? Large Tortoiseshell visited our buddleia, she is a first ever for us :) She was very jittery and so not easy to photograph, flying off when disturbed by bees and Red Admirals, but wonderful to see :D

P1060059Resize.JPG
P1380413Resize.JPG
P1380416Resize.JPG
P1380414Resize.JPG
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm never sure what I'm going to see when I open your diary Mike. It just keeps getting better and better. D'you know how many miles some folk travel to see a LT?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Maximus of some "common or garden" butterflies :shock: :shock: 8) The LT set in particular are cracking :mrgreen:

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Pauline, yes I know folks travel at least to Portland to see LT.

Thanks, Wurzel, for your comments regarding ' common or garden' butterflies, LT in particular :)

This Large Tortoiseshell was so meaningful to us that she deserves to float to the top :)

That's the Red Admiral that spooked her behind.
That's the Red Admiral that spooked her behind.

There's more reports to follow, as soon as I can find time to sort through the photos :D
P1060506fClytie.JPG
john johnstone

Post by john johnstone »

Good morning all, quick question, trying to post a photo of a albino gatekeeper I saw on Saturday but not sure how to upload a photo, any ideas please? Cheers

EDIT - Mike, I am dealing with John's question and will move this post out of your Personal Diary when it has been resolved.
John - Please check your messages when you log in.
(Vince Massimo - Moderator)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Stunning stuff Mike!. You are starting to overstretch my envy meter!.
Fabulous Large Tortoiseshell and Lesser Purple Emperor, with shots to match.
France is full of surprises, from the familiar, to species unlikely to Channel hop.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers, Trevor, France is full of surprises :D

During the last week, six of the second brood Swallowtails that we have been 'looking after', emerged after a short pupal stage.

P1060584Resize.JPG
P1060600Resize.JPG
P1060656Resize.JPG
I was worried about her, as she went out in lousy weather, but she did ok.
I was worried about her, as she went out in lousy weather, but she did ok.
P1060610Resize.JPG
Cathy with her her lions cap on:-) and a Swallowtail on<br /> the outside.
Cathy with her her lions cap on:-) and a Swallowtail on
the outside.
P1060659Resize.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nothing 'common or garden' about that Lesser Purple Emperor :shock: What a complete stunner and what an amazing shot :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful stuff, Mike. I'm sure you're not regretting your move with beauties such as this gracing your property.

That gorganus underside is just sublime. :mrgreen:

Return to “Personal Diaries”