Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by David M »

What a day, Neil! :mrgreen:

Those are amongst the best and most vivid images of a fresh Emperor I've ever seen.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David. Yes, it was a cracking day :D

Wednesday 7th July.

After Mondays quite reasonable weather (mostly in the morning, the afternoon became quite dull), Tuesday (6th) was another day of leaden grey overcast with intermittent rain showers, some of them quite heavy, plus it was also quite windy here although not quite the gales that had been forecast.
Wednesday started off much more settled with some nice sunny spells, although more showers were forecast to build up as the day went on. I took Jane around to spend a few hours with her mom and then carried on round to Blythe Valley Park.
As I entered the first grassy meadow, I saw a few Meadow Browns and Ringlets and a Small Tortoiseshell flitting about just a few feet inside the gate.
Small Tortoiseshell - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
Small Tortoiseshell - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
A carried on along the path that leads through a small wooded area and spotted a couple of Speckled Woods bobbing about in the dappled shade although they both stayed well out of reach of photos.
Coming out into the more open areas with scattered shrubs and hedgerows, there were loads more Meadow Browns and Ringlets plus a few Large Skippers and slightly higher numbers of Small Skippers.
Meadow Brown - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
Meadow Brown - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
Ringlet - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
Ringlet - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
Large Skipper - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
Large Skipper - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
Small Skipper - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
Small Skipper - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
No Essex Skippers here yet although I remember that last year they didn’t show up here for a good couple of weeks after the first Smalls and with everything running late this year, I reckon another few days at least until they show up around here.

Over the past couple of years, one of the meadows here has been good for Marbled Whites so I made my way along to there and soon spotted a couple flying around. By now the sun had warmed things up a bit but with plenty of clouds around I tried to keep my eye on one the MWs for when one of the clouds covered the sun and prompted it to settle.
Marbled White - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
A few more Marbled Whites appeared with around half a dozen in total, well down on last year but they were all looking fresh so again I reckon another week will see numbers rise.
I was watching one male flying back and forth over the long grass when it suddenly dropped down, aha! I thought, that looks like he has found a female. I made my way over to where I thought he had disappeared in the grass but before I got there the pair took flight from a little closer than I thought they were, probably spooked by my approach. They didn’t go far and settled again on top of a patch of brambles.
Marbled White pair - Blythe Valley 07.07.2021
They were right out in the open here and attracted the attention of a number of Meadow Browns and Ringlets which eventually prompted them to take to the air again and settle a few feet away and a bit lower down.
After spending an hour or so here, the clouds had been steadily building up and with some of them now looking dark and menacing I decided to make a move, just in time as no sooner had I got back to the car when the first heavy shower started with these then continuing on and off for the rest of the afternoon.

Things here are definitely still a good couple of weeks later than they have been over the past few years, more like the seasons used to be back in the 1970s when I first started chasing butterflies around in my youth. Numbers at any one time are also down, but most species appear to be emerging over longer periods so it will be interesting to see what the total numbers are like by the end of the season.

Bye for now and stay safe,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sunday July 11th

Saturday was dull for most of the day with it brightening up a bit around 5.00pm just enough for a couple of male Speckled Woods to come out of hiding and start chasing each other around the garden.

Sunday morning was much more pleasant with some nice sunny spells, however It clouded over around midday when it went quite dull and threatened rain a couple of times. Fortunately, this didn’t materialise and by 3.00pm had brightened up enough for me to have a wander down to my local spot by Wagon Lane Park.
The first area, where the grass had been cut the other week, was practically devoid of butterflies with just a couple of Meadow Browns and Ringlets bobbing around the edges. I made my way over to the far side of this area to a large bank of brambles and my spirits lifted as I saw a number of Small Tortoiseshells flitting about and chasing each other around. These would also settle on the nearby cut grass which had been left lying all over the meadow.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
Fortunately, there are areas here that a tractor cannot get to and moving through to these produced more Small Tortoiseshells along with some more Meadow Browns, Ringlets and a few Large Skippers.
Meadow Brown male - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
Meadow Brown male - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
Meadow Brown pair - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
Meadow Brown pair - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
Large Skipper male - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
Large Skipper male - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
Large Skipper female - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
Large Skipper female - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
On a number of occasions, I saw Small Tortoiseshell courtship behaviour but in every case the female took off with the male in rapid pursuit.
Small Tortoiseshell pair - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
During the hour or so that I spent here I reckon I saw more than 30 Small Tortoiseshells in all sorts of conditions and colour variations. I have said it before and will say it again, this is a surprisingly variable species, something that becomes more apparent when seen in numbers. Some were tired and faded, not surprising given some of the weather we have had here recently, whereas others were fresh out of the box.
Most years I come across one or two individuals with a paler orange ground colour and there was a nice example here today
Three nice new summer Commas were also seen.
Comma - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
Also seen were a handful of whites, my first for a while, with those that came close proving to be Small Whites.
Small White - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
Small White - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
A single Speckled Wood holding station in one of their regular corners completed the sightings today.

I was a bit surprised to not see any Small or Essex Skippers here today. Having said that, this does tend to be a later site than some of my other local spots and with this season still generally running late there is plenty of time yet.

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A lovely selection of summer tortoiseshells, the final one looks very pale! Like you I've only just started seeing a few Whites after not seeing any for ages. I've seen examples of all 3 so called 'common' species last week, total combined still in single figures though, they really have struggled so far this season.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Not only is it nice to know you're seeing lots of Small Tortoiseshells, Neil, but equally it's good to see such a variety in wing colour. I wonder whether the weather/temperature fluctuations towards the end of June/early July played a role?
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Yes, I too was interested to see the variation in wing colour of those ST Neil. The last one has an interesting background colour (very attractive) and the one above that looks very similar to (but fresher than) the one I posted recently.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Bugboy, David and Pauline.
Apart from the last (pale) one, those Small Tortoiseshells are all pretty much within the range of normal variation that I usually see around here, no more or less so than I have seen in the past few years when numbers have bounced back from a low point some 8 or 9 years back. The pale ones are less common but I usually see at least one or two like this each year.

Monday 12th July.

Monday morning, after dropping Jane off at our daughter Sarah’s so that they could do some shopping together, I carried on round to my local site at Bickenhill.
I arrived just before 10.30am under cloudy skies, but with 17 degrees showing on the car display it was feeling quite pleasant although everything was still very wet after some overnight rain. Heading off along the path through the first meadow I started seeing the inevitable Meadow Browns and Ringlets along with both Large and Small Skippers.
Small Skipper - Bickenhill 12.07.2021
Meadow Brown -  Bickenhill 12.07.2021
Meadow Brown - Bickenhill 12.07.2021
I carried on through to the next meadow and found half a dozen Marbled Whites plus a couple of Small Tortoiseshells.
Marbled White - Bickenhill 12.07.2021
Marbled White - Bickenhill 12.07.2021
I may not have seen any Small Skippers yesterday but there were loads here, in fact I gave up counting as they zipped about all over the place and stopped occasionally to top up on some tall thistles.
All those that I checked proved to be Small Skippers with no Essex seen here this morning. Around here many of the Small Skippers are usually starting to look a bit worn when the Essex start showing up and given that most of the Smalls that I saw today looked to be in fairly fresh condition, I reckon another few days to a week should see the Essex Skippers emerging around here.

My first Gatekeeper of the year showed up, just the one and I only managed the one shot of him before he disappeared across a large patch of brambles and into some trees.
Gatekeeper - Bickenhill 12.07.2021
Gatekeeper - Bickenhill 12.07.2021
I circled back around to my car and saw a couple of speckled Woods and a single Red Admiral, all of which stayed well out of reach of my camera.

The clouds this morning had been variable in thickness with occasional gaps to show some brief spells of sun through and overall, it had felt pleasantly warm. This afternoon, once again they built up into a darker grey overcast and it actually felt cooler than this morning did.
It looks like it should be warming up later this week so fingers crossed we get rid of some of this almost incessant cloud that we have had lately.

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's great to see the Hedgies arriving Neil 8) Hopefully the weather will sort itself out soon - we could do some decent butterflying weather again after what's felt like a never ending run of poor weekends :? That was a nice pale Small Tort in your earlier post and interesting as well as most of the ones I've seen seem to be slightly darker then usual due to the heat :D 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. The weather certainly bucked up a bit today and it looks like it will be lasting over the weekend and into next week too :D .

Wednesday 14th July.

Tuesday was yet another mostly overcast day but with today (Wednesday) being forecast to be much better with plenty of sun (yes, I know) we decided to have a run down to Snitterfield Bushes just north of Stratford-upon-Avon. We were going to call in here the other week on the way back from Oversley Wood but ended up spending longer at Oversley than we had planned and so went straight back home from there.
As usual, we hung on a bit to let the school traffic ease off around Solihull and then set out, arriving at Snitterfield just before 09.45am.

I had heard through the grapevine that there had been a lot of clearance work carried out here by the Forestry Commission during recent months and was curious to see what it was like. We had just parked up when a chap came out of the woods and we had a chat. It turned out that he was doing some pre-baiting in readiness for Badger vaccinations and he also told me that the clearance work was due to Ash dieback disease having taken hold in the wood.

Anyway, we set off through the gate into the north side of the wood and immediately saw Ringlets, Meadow Browns and a couple of male Silver washed Fritillaries chasing each other along the track. I was watching the SWFs when Jane said, ‘is that a White Admiral’ and pointed a bit further along the track. I looked to where she indicated and said ‘No, that’s a Purple Emperor’…or words to that effect. I have never thought of here as a site for Purple Emperors but Mike Slater of Warwickshire BC tells me that there have been a few sightings here over the past few years, although not many and usually only high up. Oversley Wood is only about 10 miles away as the Emperor flies and it is thought that they spread from there a few years back.
We ended up watching this individual for about 15 minutes as he flew up and down the track and kept landing to take up minerals. He was very fidgety and every time I tried to shuffle around to get a better angle on him, he would be off again, only to settle a few yards further on.
Purple Emperor - Snitterfield Bushes 14.07.2021
I eventually managed to get a three parts purple shot but he wouldn't lay his wings flat enough for the full purple.
He was a bit worn with some tears in his wings but I really can’t complain when I was not expecting to see a Purple Emperor here today. One of those occasions when I was as chuffed with this single sighting as I would have been with a dozen or more at somewhere like Fermyn where they are pretty much guaranteed.
Eventually he decided he had put up with us for long enough and disappeared up into the trees.

We carried on around the main circular path around the wood and saw something like 30-35 Silver-washed Fritillaries, mostly males but also a few females. These were all very active in the warm sun, the males especially as they bombed about at high speed through the trees. We saw a few of the graceful courtship flights with the male chasing after the female and spiralling around her as she kept on straight and level.

Eventually a few summer clouds covered the sun occasionally which slowed them down enough for me to get a few shots.
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Snitterfield Bushes 14.07.2021
We also saw a pair in cop fly up into a tree where we could just see them hiding amongst the leaves.
Silver-washed Fritillary pair - Snitterfield Bushes 14.07.2021
Silver-washed Fritillary pair - Snitterfield Bushes 14.07.2021
Other butterflies seen were loads of Meadow Browns and Ringlets, a few large Skippers and half a dozen or so Marbled Whites in the more open areas of the wood.
Ringlet female - Snitterfield Bushes 14.07.2021
Ringlet female - Snitterfield Bushes 14.07.2021
Marbled White - Snitterfield Bushes 14.07.2021
There were also a fair number of unidentified whites flying around with a couple of Small Whites and a single Large White confirmed.
Small White - Snitterfield Bushes 14.07.2021
Small White - Snitterfield Bushes 14.07.2021
Large White - Snitterfield Bushes 14.07.2021
Large White - Snitterfield Bushes 14.07.2021
A single Gatekeeper was also spotted but wouldn’t settle and fluttered off into the trees.

After doing the full circle, we headed back to the car and Jane had a rest while I had a quick look in the south side of the wood. I saw pretty much the same selection of butterflies as on the north side but with the addition of a couple of high up Purple Hairstreaks…and no further Purple Emperors.

What did I think of the tree clearance work? Well, some of it looked a bit drastic and some spots were churned up by heavy plant machinery, but overall, it wasn’t as bad as I had feared and some of the clearance should be beneficial in a year or two allowing for regeneration of the ground flora.

By midday, the clouds were building up but all this was doing was making it feel more humid and after spending a cracking couple of hours here we made a move back home.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a cracking sighting Neil :mrgreen: - I know what you mean about the one off unexpected sighting being better :D I'm hoping for a bit of purple over the weekend, fingers crossed :wink: :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

There's possibly only one thing better than seeing a grounded Emperor....and that's seeing one where you don't expect it!!

Must have been a lovely moment for you both. :)
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel and David. Yes, the unexpected sighting always trumps the expected :D

Apparently, since their re-introduction to Oversley Wood and Ryton Wood in 2004, Purple Emperors have spread further around Warwickshire and are now either known or suspected to be in something like 18-20 woods. I have already seen photos online taken in a number of these woods this year. They have also spread across the border into Worcestershire where I have seen photos from Grafton Wood and Tiddesley Woods. These are all thought to be natural colonisations although these days you can never discount releases.

Garden Clearwing Update.

Through the first half of July, I have continued to put my pheromone lures out in the garden whenever the conditions seemed suitable, that is warmer than 16 degrees and ideally with a bit of sun, although up until this week, that had been in short supply around here.

The lures I have mostly used recently have been the VES lure for Orange-tailed and Yellow-legged Clearwings and the LUN lure for Lunar Hornet Moth, these being the species I had yet to see this year.

On the afternoon of 8th July, I had an amazing 21 Orange-tailed Clearwings to the VES lure.
Orange-tailed Clearwings in trap - 08.07.2021
Orange-tailed Clearwings in trap - 08.07.2021
Orange-tailed Clearwing - 08.07.2021
Orange-tailed Clearwing - 08.07.2021
After releasing these I put the VES lure back in the freezer for a few days to allow them to disperse.

The following day, I gave the FOR lure another go and had 4 Red-tipped Clearwings to it.
Red-tipped Clearwing - 09.07.2021
Red-tipped Clearwing - 09.07.2021
I continued to put the LUN lure out for Lunar Hornet Moth, so far without success and then on 14th July I gave the VES lure another go hoping for Yellow-tailed Clearwing. After checking the trap a number of times and finding nothing in it, I was chuffed to find a single Yellow-tailed in there later in the afternoon.
Yellow-legged Clearwing - 14.07.2021
Interestingly, after having the 21 Orange-tailed Clearwings in this trap the previous week, there was not a single one there today. I suspect it is all to do with which way the wind is blowing on any given day to disperse the pheromone though the air.

This morning (16th) I put the LUN lure out again at around 08.15am and 10 minutes later I spotted a Lunar Hornet Moth in the trap. I had to pop out around 09.30 but on my return just before 11.00am I found another 3 in the trap.
Lunar Hornet Moth - 16.07.2021
Lunar Hornet Moth - 16.07.2021
I left the lure out until mid afternoon but didn’t have any more to it. This mirrors what I found here last year when all the Lunar Hornets that I saw arrived in the morning with none in the afternoon.

This makes 6 species of Clearwing in my garden so far this year which are all those that I could probably expect here. There is a slim chance I might get Six-belted here but I don’t think that my local habitat is really suitable for that species. Never say never though as I know that last year one came to a lure in a garden in South Birmingham, just a few miles from here.

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Those lures seem to work wonders, Neil. Where do these insects hide when there are no pheromones to attract them?
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David.
I don't think that they actually do hide. They are day flyers and I reckon that under normal circumstance are simply overlooked as being various types of wasps, which after all is what they have evolved to mimic. Seeing them in flight, I reckon most people would be hard pressed to recognise them for what they really are.

Sunday 18th July.

Well, the weather certainly took a turn for the better, so much so that it has become too much of a good thing. Some years I suffer with hay fever, some years not so much, and all the wet weather we had previously has led to some really lush grass growth and an explosion of grass pollen over the past few days. This has triggered my hay fever this year with the consequence that I have not gone far during the past few days, although I did have a walk down to my local spot by Wagon Lane on Sunday afternoon to see if the Small and Essex Skippers had showed up.

I wandered down around 4.30pm and over the next hour I saw approximately 50+ all told of both species combined and although they were mostly bombing around at high speed in the warm(hot) sun I managed to get enough record shots to confirm both species. There are some tall thistles here and the easiest way to get a few photos was to stake these out and wait for a skipper to turn up to refuel.
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 18.07.2021
Other butterflies seen were lots of Meadow Browns and Ringlets, a few Large Skippers, a couple of Gatekeepers and around a dozen Small Tortoiseshells plus similar numbers of unidentified whites, all of which were hyperactive in the heat.

I have also seen increasing numbers of butterflies in the garden with Speckled Woods, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers, a Small Tortoiseshell, increasing numbers of whites and my first summer brood Holly Blue all showing up at some point over the last couple of days. Needless to say, these have all been highly mobile and I haven't even bothered trying to get any photos.

With the sun and high temperatures set to last most of the week, I don't think I will be going too far. I simply find this heat too uncomfortable, I do miss the old days of average weather without it swinging from one extreme to the other.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

interesting to read of the reintroduction Neil - which group took responsibility for them? Cracking set of Essex shots Neil :D 8) I love their more sandy/yellow colour and to my eyes they seem slightly cuter than Smalls :wink:

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel.
I have always believed that the Warwickshire introductions were unofficial and according to Matthew Oates's recent book on the Purple Emperor (His Imperial Majesty - a Natural history of the Purple Emperor), they were carried out in 2004 by Derek Smith, an experienced breeder. I am not sure if Warwickshire BC were officially party to this but since then they have monitored the populations which have proved to be self sustaining. There are historical records from the area and some believe, with some justification, that it was surviving at low population levels all along, much like it was in some woods in the East Midlands too where it has also benefited from 'assistance', most famously at Fermyn Wood where Denys Watkins-Pitchfords ('BB') introductions are well known.

Garden Moths – July (first half)

Up until last week, July here had followed on from the end of June with a continuation of cloudy days with occasional sunny spells but at least the temperature was usually reasonable and most days would feel pleasant, if a bit dull.

The clouds would often dissipate through the early evening to leave clear nights but with the temperature often staying in the low teens which meant an improvement in the numbers of moths coming to the garden trap.

During this period, I ran the trap on average 2 or 3 times a week and a few favourites turned up including Elephant Hawk Moth, another Poplar Hawk, Herald Moth, Common Emerald, Scalloped Oak, Swallow-tailed and a second generation Early Thorn.
Elephant Hawk Moth - 08.07.2021
Elephant Hawk Moth - 08.07.2021
Poplar Hawk Moth - 16.07.2021
Poplar Hawk Moth - 16.07.2021
Herald Moth - 10.07.2021
Herald Moth - 10.07.2021
Common Emerald - 12.07.2021
Common Emerald - 12.07.2021
Early Thorn - Coverdale 12.07.2021
Early Thorn - Coverdale 12.07.2021
Swallow-tailed Moth - Coverdale 16.07.2021
Swallow-tailed Moth - Coverdale 16.07.2021
Scalloped Oak - Coverdale 16.07.2021
Scalloped Oak - Coverdale 16.07.2021
This brought me up to 88 species of macro moth and 51 micros for a total of 139 species by the middle of July.

Since then, along with the heat wave, we have had some very warm nights so I have had the trap out a few more times and numbers have really taken off. I’ll hang on to the end of July before I do another update on the second half of the month.

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

The fact that your title is 'Garden moths - July (first half) automatically makes me wonder what delights you have in store for us when you post you 'second half'.

Whoever said moths were dull needs re-educating.

There are some real beauties there, Neil. I can't remember the complete list of what you've posted before, but that Scalloped Oak is unfamiliar and very striking.

How has 2021 been for moths round your way?
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David. That report had 'first half' in the title simple because it covered the first half of the month and that was as far as I had got when I wrote it. The hot weather this week has seen numbers rise but I will have to wait until the end of the month to see what (if any) delights I will have for the second half of the month.
2021 has been a strange year for moths here, much like it has for butterflies. Total numbers are down but, after a slow start, the number of species I am seeing is now picking up.
I have definitely posted photos of Scalloped Oak before, although not usually with open wings.

Friday 23rd July.

Up until today (Friday 23rd), I think the only word to describe the weather this week is ‘Scorchio’. I must admit that the heat put me off going far and all I ended up doing was having a wander down to my local spot by Wagon Lane Park to do a Big Butterfly Count. I also spent most of Monday and Wednesday mornings going through the moth trap and trying to take photos of some of the many micros for ID purposes, not easy in the heat.

It has been a strange week for butterflies with very few seen on some days and from the behaviour I observed in my garden during the week, they would hide away during the hottest part of the day or flutter about in the shade.

Nevertheless, I managed to take a few photos on the occasions when I pottered about in the garden.

A Ringlet on Tuesday (20th), one of two that have lurking around all week.
Ringlet - Coverdale 20.07.2021
Ringlet - Coverdale 20.07.2021
Ringlet - the other side of the one above.
Ringlet - the other side of the one above.
A Speckled Wood and Large Skipper yesterday (Thursday 22nd).
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 22.07.2021
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 22.07.2021
Large Skipper - Coverdale 22.07.2021
Large Skipper - Coverdale 22.07.2021
This morning (Friday) I popped round to see my mom and then had a walk down to her local park. It was a bit fresher this morning with a bit more of a breeze but even so by 10.00am the temperature was well up into the twenties again. The usual Meadow Browns and Ringlets were bobbing about along with both Large and Small Skippers, Small and Green-veined Whites and a couple of Speckled Woods.
Gatekeeper - Langley Hall 23.07.2021
Gatekeeper - Langley Hall 23.07.2021
Small Skipper - Langley Hall 23.07.2021
Small Skipper - Langley Hall 23.07.2021
Back home later in the afternoon, I watched at least three different male Gatekeepers chasing each other around the garden. With a bit more cloud around and the breeze picking up a bit, they were settling a bit more often which gave me the chance to grab a few shots.
Gatekeeper - Coverdale 23.07.2021
A couple of Holly Blues, at least one of each sex, were also coming around on their circuits and would occasionally stop to refuel on the brambles.
Holly Blue - Coverdale 23.07.2021

The one and only time that one opened their wings a bit was when he was settled on the far side of the patch, the shot below being the best that I could manage and is heavily cropped.
A female Small Skipper also came passing though and lingered around for a bit before carrying on.
Small Skipper - Coverdale 23.07.2021
Small Skipper - Coverdale 23.07.2021
Increasing numbers of Green-veined Whites have joined the Small Whites around here and this afternoon one of them spent some time around the flowering privet.
Green-veined White - Coverdale 23.07.2021
Green-veined White - Coverdale 23.07.2021
This afternoon has been far more pleasant with a fresher breeze giving it a cooler feel. We haven’t seen any rain yet this week but that looks set to change tomorrow, although the forecasts can’t seem to make their minds up on how much we will get and when it will arrive.

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Monday 26th July.

Despite the forecasts showing that we were actually having rain here on both Saturday and Sunday, it appears that it tracked further south and east of us and we ended up missing it. Although it stayed dry, we remained under a dull layer of cloud for most of the weekend with just a few brighter spells when I spotted a couple of Speckled Woods and Ringlets in the garden.

Monday was much better with a return of the warm sun and fluffy summer clouds drifting across an otherwise blue sky. During the morning I had some household stuff to do but by early afternoon I had done all that I was going to do for one day and decided to have a walk down to my local spot by Wagon Lane Park.
On the way there I noticed quite a few Whites fluttering across people’s front gardens and on walking through into the first meadow area I saw the usual Meadow Browns and Ringlets which had now been joined by good numbers of Gatekeepers.

I carried on around my usual circuit and saw more Meadow Browns, Ringlets and Gatekeepers along with Small and Essex Skippers and a few faded Large Skippers.
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
Small Skipper pair - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
Small Skipper pair - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
Loads of whites were flying with all three common species seen. Most of these were now Green-veined but I confirmed at least half a dozen Small and a similar number of Large Whites.

A couple of fresh male Common Blues showed up along with a second brood Small Copper. I am always pleased to find either of these here as these populations are only small with just a few individuals seen, if any, each year.
Common Blue - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
Small Copper - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
Small Copper - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
Around a dozen Small Tortoiseshells were seen, some of them now looking a bit worse for wear but others were still in good condition.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
It appears that Small Tortoiseshells around here are behaving in a similar manner to last year, that is I have observed some engaging in courtship behaviour whereas others are going into hibernation. I have seen reports of them already tucked up in the usual sheds and outhouses etc. and had one myself the other day tucked into a corner of our bathroom ceiling. I put him back outside to hopefully find somewhere more appropriate.

I also saw around half a dozen Commas plus a couple of nice fresh summer Peacocks.
Comma - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
Comma - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
Peacock - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
Peacock - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
At the far end of this site there is an area where some old buildings were demolished some years ago and which has now been taken over by scrub and a handful of large Buddleias. I don’t usually go into this area as it is a spot where groups of chavvy teenagers sometimes hang out and get up to various dodgy activities. Today however, I figured that with the Buddleias in flower it would be worth a look and so wandered over and was happy to see there was no-one around. There were indeed loads of butterflies around the Buddleias, mostly Whites and Gatekeepers but also a couple of Commas chasing each other about.
Large White - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
Large White - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
I was watching the Commas as they spiralled up above one of the Buddleias when they were joined by a larger butterfly. At first, with them all silhouetted against the sky, I couldn’t make out what it was, but when they separated and it came back down to settle I could see that it was a male Silver-washed Fritillary, something that I was certainly not expecting to see here today.
Silver-washed Fritillary - Wagon Lane 26.07.2021
Over the next 15 minutes or so I watched as it squabbled with one or the other (or both) of the Commas before they separated and he landed to refuel on the flower spikes.
This is only the second SWF I have ever seen around the Solihull area, the last one being a female that visited my garden some years ago. Mike Slater (Warks BC) tells me that there have now been a number of recent sightings from not far away from here and he reckons that it would be worth checking all my local woods.

A cracking afternoon and it is always a pleasure to find something unexpected at one of my local spots.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Essex shots again Neil :D Another surprise butterfly as well- that's the wonderful thing about butterflying - there's always something new and you have to expect the unexpected :D 8)

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”