June 2021

Discussion forum for sightings.
Matsukaze

Re: June 2021

Post by Matsukaze »

They are tricky moths - here is a good guide though - http://www.econoweb.co.uk/Carmarthenshi ... sMoths.pdf
millerd

Post by millerd »

Small Heath ab. alba seen early this morning at Aston Rowant on the Chilterns. It was only identified because it picked a squabble with a "normal" male, and the two looked so different in flight as they circled each other. On its own it could have easily passed for a worn Common Blue or even a moth.
SH3 130621.JPG
SH1 130621.JPG
Dave
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Matsukaze wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:06 pm They are tricky moths - here is a good guide though - http://www.econoweb.co.uk/Carmarthenshi ... sMoths.pdf

That looks an excellent guide - many thanks for sharing Matsukaze. Must admit, I hadn't appreciated there were so many out there. 39 species of grass moth alone in the British Isles is a lot in comparison to the total species of butterflies present.

I will try and find some others on that list this year, using the guide in an attempt to ID.

If I do, I'll still check on here for confirmation !
David M

Post by David M »

Tuesday 8th, Crymlyn Burrows on the Swansea coast:

Small Blue 58
Common Blue 23
Small Heath 14
Large Skipper 3
Orange Tip 3
Green Veined White 2
Brown Argus 2
Brimstone 2 (both females)
Speckled Wood 1
Dingy Skipper 1
Large White 1
Small White 1
08.SmBlues(1).jpg
08.LgeSk(1).jpg
08.OT1(1).jpg
maverick

Post by maverick »

Sliver studded blues are active on the Great Orm over the weekend
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Brimstone Butterfly
The Importance of over-wintered June females.
In Lincolnshire this year we had frosted, sunny days in April, followed by a wet May with warm, sunny, long distance flight days, above 16ºC, mainly, only in the last few days of May.
The beginning of June had been comparatively hot a sunny.
According to the Life Cycle of British and Irish Butterflies by Pete Eeles,
With reference to the third instar:
Page 114 -"the larva now always rests along the midrib of the upper side of the leaf rather than the underside"
Page 115- "When fully grown, the third instar is 13mm long"

This 3rd instar was up to 13mm (about the width of my finger nail) and rested on the upper side of a leaf, along the leaf midrib.
13th June 2021 Brimstone 3rd Instar on Alder Buckthorn.
13th June 2021 Brimstone 3rd Instar on Alder Buckthorn.
The eggs were thought to have been laid right at the end of May or the beginning of June, seasonally late for this species, in comparison with the last couple of climate changed years. In 2020, we had a very hot, sunny May, with high temperatures, when butterfly life cycles were forwarded faster.

Kind regards
Kind Regards,
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

5 Painted Ladies and 10 Red Admirals all before 9am this morning. East Fleet, Dorset
14th June
14th June
14th June
14th June
14th June
14th June
14th June
14th June
14th June
14th June
14th June
14th June
14th June
14th June
David M

Post by David M »

Stevieb wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:42 am5 Painted Ladies and 10 Red Admirals all before 9am this morning. East Fleet, Dorset
This is a great time of year for getting out early to spot butterflies, Steve. It gets light around 5am so by 8 o'clock, if temperatures are suitable, there's plenty on the wing.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

David M wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:51 am
Stevieb wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:42 am5 Painted Ladies and 10 Red Admirals all before 9am this morning. East Fleet, Dorset
This is a great time of year for getting out early to spot butterflies, Steve. It gets light around 5am so by 8 o'clock, if temperatures are suitable, there's plenty on the wing.
That's certainly the case here at the moment David.
The Doc

Post by The Doc »

Following that trend I was up early this morning to drive from Cheshire to Croydon to finally visit Hutchinson's Bank after years of meaning to but with work, my personal life and COVID all getting in the way!

I arrived on site with no-one else seen and soon had my first sighting of a Glanville Fritillary, a mini celebration as it is my final regular (mainland) breeding butterfly species to be seen in Great Britain :) Real's Wood White still waits in the wings (pun intended!) but as a bird twitcher I 'don't do' Ireland so Butterflies are the same for now! In total I had 5 Glanvilles, all on the first stretch after the entrance gate, showing very well albeit a wee bit worn. Eventually I digiscoped a couple and got shots of upper and underwings as I'd hoped. That was the cause for my real celebration as I've now digiscoped every one of the species too. Several other butterfliers arrived later and I asked them all if they were on our forums here but all said they weren't. I hope now some may consider coming and joining in with our friendly band of butterfliers :)

Other species seen in a foreshortened visit (I had a visit to make in Ashtead near Epsom just down the road) were lots of Small Blues, Common Blue, Small Heath, Large Skipper, Comma, Brimstone, Large White and Speckled Wood. Hopefully next time I can pop down when they are at their peak and in pristine condition and spend the whole day there. It is an impressive place and well done to all involved with it :)
Attachments
Glanville Fritillary PB vBest 0741a.jpg
Glanville Fritillary PB vBest 0644.jpg
Last edited by The Doc on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

The Doc wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 pm ...I arrived on site with no-one else seen and soon had my first sighting of a Glanville Fritillary...
From the view you've given us, that Glanville appears to be aberrant, with reduced brown patterning over the orange on the forewing. Very nice!

Cheers,

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Another 2021 first for me today (and on my local patch to boot): two Large Skippers. They frequently sparred with each other despite the heat (28 degrees here), but posed well in between bouts.
LS4 140621.JPG
LS3 140621.JPG
LS2 140621.JPG
Dave
The Doc

Post by The Doc »

millerd wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:32 pm
The Doc wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 pm ...I arrived on site with no-one else seen and soon had my first sighting of a Glanville Fritillary...
From the view you've given us, that Glanville appears to be aberrant, with reduced brown patterning over the orange on the forewing. Very nice!

Cheers,

Dave
Thanks Dave :) Much appreciated :)
David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 12th - Irton Fell, Cumbria - 8 Mountain Ringlets seen in varying states of wear, along with 40-50 Small Heaths:
12.MRmaleupsS(1).jpg
12.MFfemupsS(1).jpg
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

David M wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 am Saturday 12th - Irton Fell, Cumbria - 8 Mountain Ringlets seen in varying states of wear, along with 40-50 Small Heaths:
Well done David :mrgreen: :D
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

David M wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 am Saturday 12th - Irton Fell, Cumbria - 8 Mountain Ringlets seen in varying states of wear, along with 40-50 Small Heaths:
Well done David :mrgreen: :D

Lulworth Skipper for me this morning. East Fleet, Dorset
15th June
15th June
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Nice spot with the Lulworth Skipper Stevie. I'll need a well chosen holiday to tick that one.

The eyes definitely have it with the skips.

One of the dragonflies at work hung around in one spot just long enough for me to snap it.

Not seen one (or at least clocked one at rest) before but I assume it must be a male Black-tailed Skimmer.

Seems to have survived an attack looking at its abdomen.
Attachments
DSC04964 (2).JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Large Blues in reasonable numbers out at Collard Hill today (15th). Mostly fresh males, but there were one or two females - with predictable consequences.
LBpair1 150621.JPG
The constant strong sunshine meant nothing opened up to any appreciable extent, but the technique of shading the butterfly can do the trick (though the results do look a bit strange).
LB1 150621.JPG
Cheers,

Dave
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Made the long drive from central Lincolnshire to the Scottish Borders yesterday to catch up with the artaxerxes sub-species of the Northern Brown Argus for the first time. What a pleasure that was - a delightful butterfly - utterly gorgeous! Almost as good as getting as life-tick...
Plenty of variation in terms of numbers and size of orange lunules.

The weather wasn't great, quite breezy and infrequent sunny spells, but I managed a few shots in the end. Lovely part of the world - I hope to go back some time soon.
NBA habitat St.Abbs 3.JPG
Northern Brown Argus ssp.artaxerxes.JPG
Northern Brown Argus ssp.artaxerxes2.JPG
Northern Brown Argus ssp.artaxerxes3.JPG
Northern Brown Argus ssp.artaxerxes5.JPG
Northern Brown Argus ssp.artaxerxes6.JPG
Northern Brown Argus ssp.artaxerxes7.JPG
Northern Brown Argus ssp.artaxerxes8.JPG
Northern Brown Argus ssp.artaxerxes9.JPG
Northern Brown Argus ssp.artaxerxes11.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Great work, Pete. :)

That last individual is surely an aberrant? I can't see any orange lunules at all.

Return to “Sightings”