millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Katrina and Neil - even though the overall numbers were far from impressive, I was happy with the species count. I'm quite fortunate to have a productive area within easy walking distance. :)

Interesting background info on the Edible Snail, James. The one I saw at Denbies is the only one I've ever seen in the UK. :)

The run of good weather was set to continue, so on Saturday 29th May I set off on the trek by public transport down to Hutchinsons Bank near Croydon. Failing to check for traditional Bank Holiday Weekend engineering work, I ended up on an enforced detour via Wimbledon, but still reached my destination soon after eleven.

I knew Bugboy would already be there, and (as requested) he had kindly reserved me a nice fresh Glanville Fritillary to start things rolling.
GF7 280521.JPG
Their emergence was only just underway (I see larger numbers have been seen on subsequent days) and overall we saw perhaps three or four individuals during the day. The one we had seen initially also turned up later on patrolling the bottom path: I have noticed this pattern of behaviour before as they disperse during the day.
GF9 280521.JPG
Hutchinsons Bank is far from being just about Glanvilles, with many other species seen during the visit including the other site speciality the Small Blue. Ones and twos were to be found in almost every nook, but there was a concentration in one particularly favoured spot near the "scrape", which is where all these shots were taken.
SB7 280521.JPG
SB11 280521.JPG
SB1 280521.JPG
SB4 280521.JPG
Dingy Skippers were also to be found all over the site, and many were fresh; one feature of the species here seemed to be their darker than usual chocolate colouration.
DS8 280521.JPG
DS10 280521.JPG
DS7 280521.JPG
DS2 280521.JPG
A few other species...
one or two fresh males
one or two fresh males
nectariing on the foodplant
nectariing on the foodplant
looking to lay on dogwood
looking to lay on dogwood
contesting the Cutting with the fritillaries
contesting the Cutting with the fritillaries
...plus a notable number of Brimstones still on the wing - sometimes all at once!
three males harass a female
three males harass a female
Before we left for the day, the Glanvilles provided more entertainment.
GF13 280521.JPG
GF22 280521.JPG
GF21 280521.JPG
With their stunning colour when fresh, they almost glow against the green. :)

Dave
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Four Brimstones in one shot is quite a feat.
Those Dingys do look chocolately. :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looks like you had a cracking day Dave 8) Glanvilles when fresh are brilliantly orange (just like your examples :mrgreen: 8) ) but I noticed that when they flew they appear brown - probably due to the dark bands and chequers blurring with the ginger 8) You might be able to pick up a few in Wiltshire next year hopefully :wink:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Katrina. As ever, getting four Brimstones at once was a fluke. There were quite a few flying all across the site, and inevitably there were some males trying it on with the females (which all must have been mated a while ago). One such pair circled by, were joined by a second male, and then by a third. The foursome spiralled around and at one point came very close to me. I was snapping away merrily throughout and one shot had reasonable views of their antics. A nice reminder of the day! :)

Cheers, Wurzel - a cracking day indeed, and another to follow in a mo. You've made an interesting point about in-flight colours: they can be quite surprising. To my eyes, Green Hairstreaks look dark blue, Small Blues often look strikingly blue, Swallowtails are cafe-au-lait, and Marsh Fritillaries look distinctly pink. But that's just me I suspect! :)

Talking of Marshies... while chatting to Bugboy at Hutchinsons Bank, we established we both had independent plans to head down to Cotley Hill on Sunday 30th May. When Bugboy's transport arrangements fell through late on Saturday evening it took only a minimal tweak to mine to pick him up en route.

Another sunny day (by the time we'd arrived anyway) - a bit hazy, and coolish to start with, but nothing to deter a butterfly. Now the grass had grown ( in the recent combination of wet and warmer days, it seemed to have rocketed upwards), the site management here did not appear drastic at all. Some scrub clearance on chalk grassland is essential to stop hawthorn and bramble taking over, so it has no doubt been beneficial overall.

There were certainly plenty of species seen, though perhaps not quite in the numbers and variety of previous years. The main target of the day was the Marsh Fritillary of course, and there were good numbers, some of which were fresh - indeed we found several females sitting considering whether to hazard their first flight. However, I'll start with a selection of some of the other species.
AB3 300521.JPG
AB2 300521.JPG
AB5 300521.JPG
BA1 300521.JPG
CB1 300521.JPG
SB1 300521.JPG
SC1 300521.JPG
GH1 300521.JPG
GS3 300521.JPG
Also seen: Dingy Skippers by the dozen, a single Wall looking very large compared with the Marshies, Small Heath (perhaps the commonest species), Speckled Wood, Peacock, Orange Tip, Brimstone, Small White and Green-veined White.

The Marsh Fritillaries deserve a separate post.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cotley Hill, 30th May, Marsh Fritillaries.
MF7a 300521.JPG
MF6 300521.JPG
MF20 300521.JPG
MF10 300521.JPG
MF23 300521.JPG
MF24 300521.JPG
MF31a 300521.JPG
MF36 300521.JPG
MF33 300521.JPG
This new heavily egg-laden female could barely fly.
MF13 300521.JPG
Surprisingly, we only found one mating pair.
MF40 300521.JPG
MF38 300521.JPG
The sheer variety in colouration was amazing.
MF2 300521.JPG
MF35 300521.JPG
MF16 300521.JPG
Glorious. :D

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Glorious indeed, and still only halfway through the day! Thanks for the lift :) . I've not even gone through the pics for that day yet, might get my take on the day by the end of the month :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful. :D :D :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

You had a very worthwhile to Cotley Hill, Dave.
Some excellent shots, which once again show the great variability of the species.
The site looks OK now that the spring growth has established, it was a shock to
the system back in April. Love the view from up there.

Bound to meet up soon!. Stay well.
Trevor.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Yet more great photos to illustrate some great reports Dave but my favourite has to be the four Brimstones :mrgreen: :D .

That's more Brimstones in one shot than I have seen in total so far this year :shock:

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Many thanks to you all - there have been some lovely butterflies recently, and as ever, Marshies are something special. :)

I'm also pleased you liked the Brimstones, Neil. :) I wonder why you've seen so few in your part of the world, as there have been decent numbers further south and in this late year they are still going strong. I saw three today locally in fact. You doubtless make up for it in Small Tortoiseshells. :wink:

As Bugboy has hinted, on 30th May the day was not yet over. We headed back east and diverted across to Chiddingfold (part of Bugboy's original plan for the day, and certainly not something I'd ever take issue with! :) ) The target was Wood Whites - on my previous visit on 18th, I had only seen males and therefore there had been none of the species' characteristic interactive behaviour. However, both sexes were present today and if anything the females outnumbered the males. We saw several females searching the ride margins and open areas for just the right sprig of foliage to lay on, and witnessed a number of eggs being laid.
WW3 300521.JPG
WW4 300521.JPG
WW egg3 300521.JPG
WW egg5 300521.JPG
There were also lots of examples to the face-to-face "courtship" when both butterflies give tantalising quick flashes of their uppersides. The challenge is always there to manage some shots of this, so I had a go. I've done better in the past and I know that when Bugboy posts his efforts from the day they also will be stonkingly better still! The differences between the sexes are very clear here, the male with larger darker black apical smudges and more angular wings. In this case he looks quite a bit larger too.
female
female
male
male
A few standard posing shots, including the classic one on a stichwort flower.
WW1 300521.JPG
WW11 300521.JPG
WW10 300521.JPG
The journey back to Staines from here took longer and became more circuitous than expected (the M25 is back to its usual self), but that failed to spoil what was an all-round cracking day.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Indeed a cracking day and thanks again for saving the day for me :D . With regard to an earlier discussion about female butterfly wings bring generally more rounded just compare your two open wing shots!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was just thinking the same things as Bugboy and then I saw that he beat me too it! :roll: :lol: That does look like you had a fantastic day and it was great to see more evidence that Cotley is doing okay, phew! 8) The variation in Marshies is absolutely marvelous and that final female in particular is a beaut - I don't think I've seen one that's so orange :mrgreen: 8) Brill Wood Whites as well here's a few :mrgreen: :mrgreen: in case I don't catch up with the 2nd brood :wink:

Wurzel
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

What a cracker of a day Dave! Lovely Marsh images and super photo diary of wood white behaviour - great work!
millerd

Post by millerd »

You're right, Buggy - those two Wood White shots really show the difference in exemplary fashion. :)

It was a very full day with some great butterflies. You have spotted why I saved that last very orange Marshie to be the final photo, Wurzel - she was absolutely delightful, richly coloured and brand spanking new.

Cheers, Ben - but don't mention the "w" - word... :) I left that concept behind a few years ago and watching all these glorious insects in the sunshine is just not the same. :wink: Managing to capture some of the behavioural stuff is really interesting too. :)

Monday 31st May. A warm and sunny bank holiday so deciding how best to avoid the inevitable holiday traffic was the first thing. I realised I hadn't caught up with Aston Rowant in May at all and the M40 is less touristy than other routes, so that's where I headed.

It was good to see a reasonable showing of Adonis Blues, alongside their Common cousins and Brown Argus - also in good numbers.
AB1 310521.JPG
AB2 310521.JPG
despite the congenital damage, this butterfly could fly amazingly well
despite the congenital damage, this butterfly could fly amazingly well
male
male
female
female
One pair of Common Blues courted and joined in a matter of seconds right in front of me.
CB pair1 3310521.JPG
CB pair2 310521.JPG
CB pair5 310521.JPG
CB pair7 310521.JPG
A few Dingy Skippers were around, but rather worn now...
DS1 310521.JPG
DS2 310521.JPG
...plus a Small Copper or two, several Small Heaths, Brimstones and Peacocks.

Finally, as I wandered back to the car park along the path bordering the scrub at the bottom of the first part of the slope, I found several Green Hairstreaks - almost certainly females egg-laying. Some of the angles I caught them at produced some particularly bright green shades.
GH7 310521.JPG
GH8 310521.JPG
One of them also appeared to be the spotless variety - I believe this has a name (I won't guess, as the Victorians' command of descriptive Latin has furnished several options for the concept! :) )
GH1 310521.JPG
GH14 310521.JPG
GH2 310521.JPG
GH12 310521.JPG
As I had hoped (with fingers firmly crossed) the traffic wasn't too bad on the way back, and I managed a look at my local patch before the end of the day too. A separate post for that.

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great Green Hairstreaks, Dave. They seem have had a protracted season this year,
with fresh(ish) specimens still being found.
As for images of them I think Wurzel takes first prize with his shots of them on Gorse.

Very much enjoyed your Wood White encounter, like me you saved many miles by calling
in at Chiddingfold on your way back from the West, rather than a special trip.

Talking of Chiddingfold, see you soon!.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another cracking report Dave, nice work capturing the 'locking on' of the Common Blues :D And good job with the ab.caecus 8) :mrgreen: All the ones round my way have too many spots :wink:

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Trevor - yes, it approaches that special time of year again, though predicting exactly when it might be will be not particularly easy this year I think. :)

Cheers, Wurzel! I thought I had another Common Blue conjunction today, but it turned out to be a newly emerged male being harassed by a second male. The encounter got a bit graphic at one point, so when I get round to it I may have to post it with a warning notice for those of a sensitive disposition. :) And caecus...I hadn't even thought of that one! :wink: :)

The afternoon of the bank holiday 31st May was spent on home turf, and the overall butterfly total came to 65 individuals (the highest of the year so far) of 11 species:

Holly Blue 15
Common Blue 14
Small Heath 12
Brown Argus 11
Small Copper 4
Large White 3
Small White 2
Brimstone 1
GVW 1
Orange Tip 1
Peacock 1

It was good to see so many Holly Blues (a 2021 high) and notice the change to later spring species becoming predominant. I found female Holly Blues mixing with the Common Blues in the open areas, where the former were laying on goats' rue.
HB2 310521.JPG
Males were still to be found sucking minerals from the paths, particularly attracted to the bright white patches of bird droppings which actually afforded their shiny silvery-white undersides camouflage in bright sunshine (as well as providing higher concentrations of desired substances no doubt).
HB3 310521.JPG
One found an alternative source of sustenance on the foliage.
HB4 310521.JPG
The single Brimstone seen was a female...
Brimstone1 310521.JPG
...and the only other aged hibernator was a Peacock that found the sun a bit too strong to open up.
PK1 310521.JPG
The local Coppers are now showing signs of wear...
SC1 310521.JPG
...but the Brown Argus are rather fresher.
BA2 310521.JPG
I managed to spot another Orange Tip egg (on garlic mustard), but no larvae as yet.
OT egg 310521.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Tuesday 1st June dawned sunny once again and as I had woken up a bit early I decided to head out and try and catch a few things just waking up too. Having heard reports of a certain species flying in a location well away from its usual haunts, I drove up to the Ivinghoe Beacon car park and set off on a roughly circular route taking in Incombe Hole and then Steps Hill. The countryside up here looked glorious in the morning sunshine, and temperatures at this stage were comfortably cool too.
Incombe Hole
Incombe Hole
I walked round the rim of the deep chalk valley of Incombe Hole, then down to the bottom. In relative shelter, despite the earlyish hour, there were already a few Dukes flying.
DB1 010621.JPG
DB2 010621.JPG
A rather worn male Green Hairstreak was supervising matters from above...
GH1 010621.JPG
...whilst a few Dingies and Grizzlies stayed near the ground.
DS1 010621.JPG
GS1 010621.JPG
I made my way round the "bulge" of the hillside onto the slope of Steps Hill, and here was the surprise guest appearance: Marsh Fritillaries. Initially there were only one or two to be found but as the day wore on more appeared, including a sluggish new female. In all, there were perhaps a dozen.
MF2 010621.JPG
MF4 010621.JPG
MF5 010621.JPG
MF6 010621.JPG
MF8 010621.JPG
It did seem a bit odd to see them here, though to be fair the habitat is not so different from that at Cotley Hill in Wiltshire. The local Common Blues in particular were constantly picking on the unfamiliar bigger butterfly. It is assumed they are the result of the efforts of the mysterious "Marshie Dumper of 2020" who allegedly sprinkled the species across numerous sites in Southern England (and further north too I've subsequently heard). Maybe this lot will breed a second time and reappear next year - we shall see.
MFview2 010621.JPG
Also seen on these slopes were more Dukes (and a Duchess) and several female Green Hairstreaks seeking spots near the ground to lay their eggs.
DB4 010621.JPG
DB3 010621.JPG
GH2 010621.JPG
An interesting morning!

Dave
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

If the Marsh Fritillaries here are descended from ones released last year, what are they feeding on? The populations on the chalk in Wiltshire and Dorset use devil's bit scabious, but I understand that this plant only occurs on chalk in this area. Is an alternative foodplant being used here?
trevor

Post by trevor »

You've hit the nail on the head, Dave. At this time of year there's nothing
like an ( or very ) early start. With the ' Blues ' in particular finding them
at roost then seeing them slowly open up to catch the warming sun is a
magic experience and excellent for photography.

Great sequence of the meeting and mating Adonis Blues in your previous post.

The silly season is nearly upon us!.
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”