Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Maximus

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Sooty Coppers Maximus :D :mrgreen: The few times that I've seen them when on holiday I've found them to be perfect time wasters - what seems like 5 minutes with them watching their antics and getting the odd shot actually turns out to be 30-40 minutes :shock: :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Maximus wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:27 pm...Sooty Coppers would surely do well in the UK, shame they're not there.
Yes, Mike, I'm sure they would fare extremely well in the southernmost parts of the UK. Sadly, Coppers are generally non-migratory, so unless someone secretes a few in clandestine fashion (something which is not unknown here) we will continue to gaze in awe and envy at a butterfly you have in your part of the world that would be a very welcome resident in Britain.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Wurzel, I know just what you mean about about Sooty Coppers, loads of time looking :lol:

La Manche is too great an obstacle for them David, sadly :(

A recent visitor to our Choisya hedge was this lovely Map spring brood, (f. levana) butterfly, the first we have ever seen. Simply stunning is an understatement, hope we see loads more, although butterflies have been a bit thin on the ground over here, due to the poor weather of late!!

P1370422.jpgAResize.JPG
P1370424BResize.JPG
P1370385ResizeA.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely fresh Map, Mike.
You are now well placed for surprises like that!.

Stay safe,
Trevor.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Trevor :)

Over the last couple of days it's been nice to see both Broad-bordered bee hawk moths and Hummingbird hawk-moths visiting our flowers in bloom. I have really struggled to get any decent shots of them as the weather has been dull and windy. Therefore I substitute some photos that I took of them last summer when the weather was far better. I find Bee hawks are easier to photograph as they tend to 'walk around' the blooms using their forelegs (as seen in the photos), as opposed to hummingbird hawks who actually hover next to each flower before quickly moving on. A shutter speed of 1/1600 of a second was still not enough to fully freeze the motion of their wings.

P1050172Resize.JPG
P1050176.jpgYResize.JPG
P1050182Resize.JPG
P1050654Resize.JPG
P1050683Resize.JPG
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Very nice bee Hawkmoth - very fluffy looking. :D :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

It is really interesting to see what you are finding in your new home James and illustrated with some superb photos :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow that Map is even better looking than the summer form and those are cracking shots of it 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I long to see one of those :mrgreen:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great images of the Broad-bordered bee hawk moths and Hummingbird hawk-moths, Mike...and as for your Map :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You're not that far away from UK shores where you are, but you may as well be in a different world. We can only look on in envy.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Katrina, very fluffy :)

Thanks, 'Nefreem' :lol: , appreciate your comments :)

Thanks, Wurzel, they are soooo good looking :)

Thank you, David, yes it's only the English channel which stops them being residents :roll:

The other morning we watched a Map Butterfly hanging around some stinging nettles in a corner of our garden. It became obvious that she was a female looking for somewhere to lay her eggs. As we watched she landed on on the the underside of a nettle leaf and began egg laying. I managed to get a few shots, even though she was laying in a shaded position underneath the nettle leaf, which made getting good shots difficult.

P1370533Resize.JPG
P1370556.jpgAResize.JPG
P1370558Resize.JPG

We will keep an eye on the eggs :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Some well captured ' action ' shots of that Map. very unusual eggs.
Presumably she is contributing to the White Admiral look alike brood later on.

What a garden visitor1 :mrgreen:

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Really interesting the way the eggs hang. Presumably they can’t eat their shells when they hatch or the eggs below would drop to the ground? 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Fascinating to see. I remember reading somewhere that this method of ovipositing is thought to mimic the Nettles flowers, although surely if this were true that would work more effectively if they were laid on or near the actual flowers :?:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Really interesting seeing the underside and the eggs laid in such a fashion :D :mrgreen: - but like Bugboy says surely if they're laid to mimic flowers they'd be better laid amongst the flowers? :? Sill there's something quite satisfying about the structure :D

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Trevor, yes, they will become (hopefully) White Admiral lookalikes later :)

I understand what you are saying, Katrina, the latest shots should clarify that :)

Yes, Bugboy, they look vaguely like nettle flowers, but I agree that they are not in the right place :?:

Perhaps the position they are laid in is enough to fool predators, Wurzel, but I'm not 100% convinced they're meant to mimic nettle flowers :?

An update on those Map(f. levana) eggs that were laid by the female on 5th, of June, on nettle in our garden. Most hatched this morning (16th June) with just a few late hatchlings to go.

P1070133.jpgAResize.JPG
P1070132Resize.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fascinating shots Maximus 8) :D I'm still trying to figure out how they get out of the egg without the ones below being displaced - do they use the side door? :wink:

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I believe the side door it is, Wurzel :)
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Fascinating indeed - I'm learning a lot today - thank you. 8)
David M

Post by David M »

Great observations, Mike. How I wish we had this species in the UK!

It's quite extraordinary how levana oviposits in this manner. I'm struggling to theorise what advantage such a strategy provides.
millerd

Post by millerd »

What a great set of shots of another species that would be very welcome here in the UK, Mike - I'm sure there are plenty of nettles to go round! It is interesting that its life cycle does not follow the same pattern as the nettle-feeders we do have, and it doesn't pass the winter as an adult. I wonder if this is a factor that has kept it from establishing here.

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”