Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

17-19 May 2021

Butterfly monitoring, or simply just watching them, continues to involve either a patient wait for showers to pass, or rapidly moving location in a dash to ambush some sunny spells. With easy access to highpoints on the South Downs, from where the incoming weather can be viewed, it has been possible to squeeze at least some success in between the squalls. Until the Jet Stream shifts northwards, I fear that it will be more of the same for the foreseeable future.

On 17 May I joined a West Sussex County Council ranger and a very helpful local farmer to look at the results of last year's grazing on the Fairmile Bottom LNR near Arundel. This was also the opportunity to show them the Duke of Burgundy, which colonised from Rewell Wood a few years back and is now beginning to establish a substantial colony. We spotted 13 individuals; a good tally so early in its delayed flight season.

I then moved to Rewell Wood, for one of my last visits this year during the Pearl-bordered Fritillary flight season. Although I still managed a three-figure count (over the entire complex), it became clear that we are now in the early part of the tail-end. One or two males are still emerging, but the vast majority of both sexes are now showing signs of wear and tear. It appears, as feared, that my most pessimistic assessment of their season was correct; due to the very cold and dry spring, numbers are greatly down from last year's glut.

On 18 May I visited a northern (private) area of Rewell Wood, where a newly established colony of Duke of Burgundy appears set to stay; seven individuals were seen, including a couple of females. It was also clear that Grizzled Skippers, which I love seeing in a woodland setting, are still emerging.

19 May offered the sort of warm sunny weather we took for granted over the last couple of springs. There was such an abundance of butterflies in the Springhead Hill meadow that I found it difficult to move on for another survey. Duke of Burgundy was by far the most common species present, and widely distributed over the entire site. I did my best not to worry about the ever-increasing number of paths being worn into the turf, but failed. A systematic search of the low scrub soon revealed a mating pair.

Having bumped into a friend, Louise, at Springhead, I offered to show her the Washington chalk pit site. This proved to be a good decision, as she soon spotted a mating pair of Dingy Skippers. There were plenty of other species on offer here, but it wasn't long before dark clouds and rain heralded a return to the spring weather of 2021.
UKB Duke of Burgundy (male) Fairmile Bottom LNR 17.5.21.jpg
UKB Duke of Burgundy (female) Fairmile Bottom LNR 17.5.21.jpg
UKB PBF (male) Rewell Wood 17.5.21.jpg
UKB Grizzled Skipper, Rewell Wood 18.5.21.jpg
UKB Duke of Burgundy (female) Rewell Wood 18.5.21.jpg
UKB Duke of Burgundy pair, Springhead Hill 19.5.21.jpg
UKB Dingy Skipper pair, Washington chalk pits 19.5.21.jpg
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Inspiring shots as always Neil. Yes, the weather is challenging, but next time we cross paths you’ll still be more tanned than ever, and I’ll still be burnt, so something is clearly getting through! Today is awful however - I’ll concede that!

Disappointing at Rewell but with your stamp all over the habitat improvements we’re in for a huge year sooner rather than later.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The thing with these Sussex PBF, so much hard work has gone into making the habitat as perfect as humanly possibly, it will enable them to weather (pun intended) poor years like this and come back all guns blazing in better years, just as nature intended :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots Neil - that stand out for me being the Dukes in cop and the Duke on the almost vacant Dandelion clock 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This season has certainly been a trying one - I've reverted to racing the clouds again after giving it up last year :roll:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

I fully concur with your summary of recent conditions, Neil. I've lost track of the times I've looked up at the sky and cursed the clouds and the wind. God knows the butterflies would have done likewise had they been able to express it.

I guess this means that counts for your spring species won't accurately reflect genuine numbers given the sheer impossibility of walking a transect in anything even approaching standard, late-May conditions?

I suppose we've been spoiled in April & May this last couple of years. 2021 has reminded us resolutely that we live at 51°N :(
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Ben. I'm a medium shade of walnut at present, but should be a deep red mahogany by this time of year.

Thanks, Paul. I'm sure that PBF will 'go large' again in Sussex next year. I suspect the problem has been mass mortality of post-hibernation larvae in March/early April, but there's still been sufficient adults to create another big bang in 2022. With more suitable habitat becoming available, I don't think the superabundance of 2020 is anywhere near Rewell Wood's maximum capacity. As you suggest, we're seeing the natural ebb and flow of things. However, I do have concerns about a couple of small colonies. Abbot's will certainly be OK, as will Stansted Forest.

Thanks, Wurzel. I always get a kick from watching mating Dukes (that does sound a bit dodgy). Hopefully, they won't be the last this year.

Hi David. If 'they' (I cannot speak their name) are correct, we will soon wake from this meteorological nightmare. Let us pray.

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Holly In An Acer

While weather-watching from my office window this morning (24 May), I saw a male Holly Blue land in one of the Acer trees in the garden. With no urgency to rush out and see very little, I spent an hour up a stepladder waiting for it to open its wings. Eventually, it did, just.
UKB Holly Blue (male), Worthing garden (1) 24.5.21.jpg
UKB Holly Blue (male), Worthing garden (2) 24.5.21.jpg
UKB Holly Blue (male), Worthing garden (3) 24.5.21.jpg
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful shimmer on the closed wing shots!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

An hour up a ladder for a Holly Blue, this speaks volumes about the year so far...... I might have done the same in a similar situation :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

What’s this - he’s gone to get the stepladder - perhaps he’s going to do some jobs around the house......oh ffs!

It’d be like that in my house anyway!

Beautiful shots! Time very well spent.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Always worth it for a Holly Blue, Neil! When the sun reappears... Glorious! :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Benjamin wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:03 pm What’s this - he’s gone to get the stepladder -

It's not the first time, Ben.
Attachments
BC Photographing X (c) Terry Atkinson.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Neil - definitely worth the stepladder trick - I've done a bit of googling and you can get a telescopic one that reaches 2.5m,I might get one myself :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:53 pm...With no urgency to rush out and see very little, I spent an hour up a stepladder waiting for it to open its wings. Eventually, it did, just.
:) No wonder you manage to take such impressive images with a level of commitment like that, Neil!

I believe the image Trevor posted of you doing likewise some while earlier was a Camberwell Beauty sighting?
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Katrina. I love that lustre on mint specimens.

Yes, David, that's an image of me snapping a Camberwell Beauty. Having been invited into a complete stranger's garden, it would have been impolite to trample on their perennials. Their neighbour, who I know, kindly alerted me to its presence and supplied the vital stepladder.

Thanks, Paul, Ben, Dave, Trevor and Wurzel. I've decided that using a stepladder for butterflying is a bit silly, so I've just invested in this fine pair of Acme Corporation stilts. I reckon they're perfect for Purple Emperor larval hunts and for after-dark UV light searches for hairstreak caterpillars.

BWs, Neil
UKB Acme Corporation Stilts.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Tricky Dukes

On Saturday (22 May) I led a guided walk for volunteers of the Steyning Downland Scheme, with the target species being Duke of Burgundy, which colonised the area only very recently. This five-hour event was conducted under thick grey cloud for 99% of the time, with some heavy rain thrown in for good measure. However, we were in the right place at the right time when the sun almost shone for about three minutes, and I managed to winkle out a Duke and a Duchess.

This now feels even more of a miracle than it did at the time, considering that a search of the site in fine weather on 25 May produced no adults. I did manage to find a few eggs without too much trouble, suggesting that the species may already have done enough to survive another year.

This morning (26 May), I performed a survey of Washington Chalk pits (near Chanctonbury Ring), where a tiny population of Dukes holds out. This is always a tricky site for the species and today was no different. It was a full two hours before I finally found a single male, but it felt like a major victory, and worth 30 on an easy site.
UKB DoB eggs (1) SDS 25.5.21.jpg
UKB DoB eggs (2) SDS 25.5.21.jpg
UKB DoB male, Washington Chalk Pits.jpg
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Good to hear the Dukes are still at Steyning.
Nice photo of the Duke! :mrgreen:
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Katrina. One of the Steyning Downland Scheme volunteers recorded six Dukes there yesterday, so all looking good for a firm establishment.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

A Little Bit Of Bread And No Cheese

Yesterday (27 May) finally felt like a May day on the South Downs should. I spent the entire, glorious, sun-drenched day counting Duke of Burgundy and other spring species in the coombes and meadows around Storrington. It became very clear that His Grace has sensibly held back his main emergence on many sites, to coincide with the delayed arrival of fine weather; this will be an unusually late season for the species, with many more Dukes to come.

Rather than post yet another image of my favourite species (it ties with Purple Emperor), this shot of a Yellowhammer against a clear blue sky probably best sums up the wonderful spirit of place I experience on the chalk at this time of year. It was great to share part of my journey with Ben, who suddenly appeared from his own tour of this stunningly beautiful landscape.
UKB Yellowhammer, Chantry Hill 28.5.21.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

First 2021 SPBF In Sussex

Yesterday (28 May) I visited the Rowland Wood and Park Corner Heath reserves, in the hope that an early Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary (SPBF) might show. Gary Norman was already there, hoping for the same. He had seen a couple of 'possibles' on the wing, but they were flying at such speed that he hadn't been able to confirm an ID. Four legs are better than two, so we eventually achieved the views required to determine the presence of two freshly emerged male SPBF; one on Rushy Meadow and one in Christmas Tree Glade. My final tally was two SPBF and nine PBF.

SPBF should be out in greater numbers by Sunday. If searching for them on Park Corner Heath, please keep to the clearly defined footpaths and existing routes across the open areas of breeding habitat. This year, footfall over our most popular butterfly sites is at an all-time high, with worrying consequences for locations such as Kithurst Hill, where severe and widespread erosion of the chalk grassland turf is now a major problem.

Return to “Personal Diaries”