David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Dave/Otep. Yes, Brown Argus is a butterfly best seen fresh and this site is extraordinarily early for them for reasons I cannot explain.

Thursday 29th April – Where have you been?.…

After 4 previous abortive attempts, I finally managed to find my first Green Hairstreak of the year at Welshmoor on the Gower.

This site is only 2 miles from the sea, but it isn’t a particularly early site compared to some others. Even so, I expected them out the previous weekend, but given I saw the grand total of ONE in three-quarters of an hour’s searching, I think it’s pretty safe to conclude that they have only just started to emerge.

Here’s an image of the type of habitat they prefer round here:
29.Welshmoor(1).jpg
…and the solitary specimen seen:
29.GH1b(1).jpg
29.GH1(1).jpg
The only other butterfly I photographed was this female Green Veined White:
29.GVWfem(1).jpg
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Lovely shimmer on the Green Hairstreak :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I agree with Katrina - love both those GH shots :mrgreen:
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Yes, I agree, those Green Hairstreak photos are brilliant David.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

That’s a stunner David, and after a few failed attempts to find them how satisfying to capture it so well.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, all. When you've waited for so long and then you only find a single individual, the only option you have is to spend prolonged time with it and try to do justice to it.

Thankfully, the males of this species are highly territorial early in their flight period, so once you've found one you can be confident they aren't going to go far.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Some lovely butterfly shots in your recent posts, David. Great that you have included the stunning habitat shots, which show what a beautiful part of the UK you live in :)
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Mike. Yes, I have no complaints as to the natural beauty of my local area (though less wind and rain would be welcome) :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely Green Hairstreak shots David, and a nicely marked one as well.
I'm getting left behind, haven't seen one yet this year.

Keep well,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Trevor. Yes, it was an attractively marked individual. I hope you catch up with some soon. Remember, you're only ONE behind me. :)

Friday 30th April – Coolhardy.…

I wasn’t sure what to expect when visiting Ewyas Harold Common in Herefordshire today. It was largely cloudy with occasional showers and just 9c when I left.

Pleasingly however, the sun shone for about 70% of the time during my visit and there were plenty of Pearl Bordered Fritillaries on the wing. Around three dozen were seen, and they were surprisingly active during the sunny periods in spite of the cool conditions, but if cloud cover remained in situ for more than 2 or 3 minutes, they became subdued.
30.PBFups(1).jpg
30.PBFuns(1).jpg
30.PBFupsS(1).jpg
30.PBFunsS(1).jpg
Only one other butterfly seen – a Speckled Wood, although it was a pleasure listening to the birdsong at this peaceful site.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Trevor. Yes, it was an attractively marked individual. I hope you catch up with some soon. Remember, you're only ONE behind me. :)

Thursday 6th May – Feels like March.…

Another cool but sunny day, and a trip to the coast beckoned again.

The first butterfly I saw on my way into Cwm Ivy was a male Brimstone, and another appeared as soon as I got into the woodland glade. He seemed to have had enough of the cool weather – he wasn’t the only one!!
6.Brim(1).jpg
A couple of male Orange Tips darted past, as did a Green Veined White. Occasional cloud would assist me in approaching these species:
6.OTmale(1).jpg
6.OTuns(1).jpg
6.GVWmale(1).jpg
A dozen or so Speckled Woods were active in this spot, as was a Red Admiral.

Holly Blue numbers have started to decline. There were still plenty around (about 20 or so) but some of the males are now looking a little battle-worn:
6.HB1(1).jpg
Others, however, are still fresh:
6.HB2(1).jpg
Out on the dunes precious little was flying, which isn’t surprising as the wind chill made it feel more like late March and the vegetation still has that ‘early’ look about it. One notable feature was the appearance of a flock of sheep on the dunes, which is something new to me at this site:
6.Whiteford(1).jpg
I could only find 2 Brown Argus in the area where I saw a handful on 25th April. No doubt the atrocious weather last Monday took its toll:
6.BArgups(1).jpg
6.BArguns(1)(1).jpg
Another Dingy Skipper was seen, and a return to the woodland glade saw this Red Admiral continuing to hold territory and repel interlopers as it had been when I first passed through:
6.RAd(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 6th May - Numbers poor...

I visited Welshmoor again in the afternoon, having seen my first Green Hairstreak there a week prior to today.

However, in spite of sunny (though cool) conditions, I could only find two in an hour's search. Normally at this time of year, one could expect to find well into double figures.

With no sign of any warmth in sight, I think this is one species that's going to have a tough time this year.
6.GH1(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Friday 7th May - Small Blue....

Not many butterflies seen on another sunny but cool day at Crymlyn Burrows today. However, I did manage to find my first Small Blues of 2021.

My neighbour found the first one but it was away before I could get a decent image. Thankfully, there were 3 more on the way back out, all attracted by the patch of damp track in this image:
7.Habitat(1).jpg
7.SmBlups(1).jpg
7.SmBluns(1).jpg
The most numerous butterfly was Orange Tip, with a mere 6 seen. There were also 5 Small Coppers, 3 Peacocks, 3 Speckled Woods, 2 Brimstones and singletons of Large & Green Veined White.

We need some warmth very soon, both humans AND butterflies!
trevor

Post by trevor »

mrgreen x 100 for your gorgeous Green Hairstreak image David :mrgreen:
Still not seen one this year despite visiting many known hotspots.

Stay well,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Trevor. Been a struggle round here with them too (only three so far).

Friday 14th May - Afternoon gamble.....

It's not often I venture out on a butterflying trip in the mid-afternoon, but the almost constant cloud over the last few days meant that when a break occurred today at around 2.30pm I had no other option.

Having seen only 3 butterflies (2 Wall Browns and a Small Copper) in the preceding 7 days, I trekked down to Cwm Ivy and Whiteford Burrows to check out what was about, arriving at 2.35.

In just over two hours, I saw the 'grand' total of 36 butterflies, but thankfully 10 of them were Common Blues (6) and Small Heaths (4), which I hadn't hitherto seen in 2021.

All the Common Blues were males:
14.CommBlueups2(1).jpg
14.CommBlueuns(1).jpg
The Small Heaths were tricky to pin down, and this was the best I could do:
14.SmHeathS(1).jpg
14.SmHeath2(1).jpg
Bizarre statistic….

Each year brings butterfly-related vagaries, but lately this one has developed into a situation where overall numbers are few yet species range can still be impressive.

So it was today, as the 36 individual butterflies I saw comprised a healthy 14 species.

The Common Blues and Small Heaths seen were new for the year to me, but a dozen others were recorded, although none exceeded 6 in number.

Walking down the path towards the site, my first butterflies were two Whites battling at the foot of the limestone hill. One was a Small White and the other was a male Green Veined White, who settled nicely on some bedstraw:
14.GVWuns(1).jpg
In the glade, another male basked invitingly:
14.GVWups(1).jpg
Just the one male Holly Blue in this area, so it looks like the show is over for this spring:
14.HBmale(1).jpg
However, I found a nice female visiting the unfurling hawthorn blossom just outside the glade:
14.HBfem(1).jpg
A couple of Red Admirals were active in the glade too:
14.RedAdm(1).jpg
As I was walking out onto the dunes, this pristine Small Blue took a liking to my trousers:
14.SmBlue1(1).jpg
14.SmBlue2(1).jpg
A Small Copper was seen in this area too, whilst further along a single Brown Argus was spotted, along with this Dingy Skipper:
14.Dingy1(1).jpg
There were 2 male Orange Tips, 2 Large Whites and a Peacock, but the biggest surprise was when I was walking through this sheltered crater:
14.Habitat(1).jpg
I was watching another Green Veined White when I suddenly saw a brown-coloured butterfly. My immediate thought was “That’s a hellishly early Meadow Brown”, but when the insect opened its wings, I was shocked to discover that it was a male Wall Brown; the first I have ever seen at this site.

Such was my stupor I didn’t think to get my camera out, and unfortunately it was soon disturbed by the Green Veined White which was still nearby. It flew towards the limestone slope so on my next visit I will have to yomp up the steep hill to find if there is a decent-sized colony here.

Amazingly, there were no Speckled Woods recorded, nor were there any Brimstones (although the latter aren’t generally too active in the late afternoon), so had I arrived earlier the species tally might have been 16, which would be excellent even in July.
David M

Post by David M »

Holly Blue behaviour….

Holly Blue numbers at Cwm Ivy, on the NW Gower coast, were once again extremely good this spring. There are still a few hanging on but the days of several dozen in the woodland glade will not return until next year.

Once again I was fortunate to see mating pairs; two this year to add to the three in 2020.

On both occasions, I stood and watched for quite a while and was again intrigued by the behaviour of bystanding males who were seemingly able to home in on the pairs in cop whenever they got within around 3 metres of them.

This happened even when the pair were in a relatively discreet location, leading me to suspect that within a certain distance, the males can detect pheromones and are drawn in immediately, like flies to a honeypot.

What is peculiar is that these males do not try to muscle in on the mating pair as can happen with other lycaenids; instead, they prefer to inspect the situation without any real physical interaction before flying off.
19.HBx3(1).jpg
Generally, this lasts around 20 to 30 seconds before the bystanding male loses interest. This pattern was repeated by every single male that latched onto the mating pairs – at least a dozen were observed doing this.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Very interesting behaviour observation thank you for sharing that.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

What a fabulous chain of voyeurism! I wonder if you were the terminus, or if there might’ve been another pair of eyes on you from the bushes - Heaven forbid! :shock:

Very interesting observation David, although looking closely at that pic there does seem to be a rogue proboscis flicking about - are you sure he was just watching?!
David M

Post by David M »

Katrina wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:34 pmVery interesting behaviour observation thank you for sharing that.
Thank you, Katrina. Was a pleasure to watch them exhibit this curious behaviour. The site is a real hotspot for this species.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Rubbish weather here David, I see your not doing too bad for the Butterflies though :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”