Undiscovered?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Chris L

Undiscovered?

Post by Chris L »

This is my second season and I trust everything I read implicitly about where species exist. I rely upon it greatly. I work on the assumption that it is known where all of the UK butterfly species are. Of course, there will be year on year changes that we are aware of with some species proliferating, some migrating further north each year and sadly some declining and becoming endangered.

However, the UK is some 94,000 square miles and, relatively speaking given its population, only a small percentage of people study butterflies, go out to observe butterflies and can actually identify butterflies.

There is a lot of land space out there that is extremely rural and much woodland that goes unfrequented. Is it possible that there are extremely small, discrete colonies of our rarer butterflies in the UK that no-one is aware of? Does anyone live in hope that they might make a discovery?

All rather exciting if one stops and thinks about it !
Mark Tutton

Re: Undiscovered?

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Otep,
It is indeed possible, and a notable example is the Black Hairstreak colony discovered at Ditchling Common in Sussex. Also the Chequered Skipper, in Scotland, was discovered after becoming extinct in England. Locally for me a new Duke of Burgundy colony was recently discovered on open access land and I myself have found half a dozen new White Letter Hairstreak colonies around Portsmouth by looking for elms In addition to confirming the presence of Brown Hairstreak, in new areas, by searching for eggs. Once you get used to seeing a species in their habitat you can pinpoint likely areas of similar type, especially with suitable foodplant, and have a good look in the flight season. One of the WLH colonies I found was right outside the main entrance of our major hospital!
Good luck if you try
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

I'll largely echo what Mark said, Otep.

White Letter Hairstreaks are probably the likeliest to record as they are fairly inconspicuous and tend to go under the radar. It's worth checking out any elm trees you come across, both during the flight season as well as the larval stages, as the caterpillars leave tell-tale feeding signs on the leaves.

Essex Skipper is another to look out for as due to its similarity to Small Skipper it can often go unnoticed. I lived in Abergavenny for nearly three years up to July 2010, but it was only in 2016 that I discovered that lineola was present alongside sylvestris.

One thing's for sure, the more time you spend out in the field, the more your chances of discovering something new increase!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Agreed on the species so far mentioned. Another good source of discoveries is old industrial land - coal tips, disused railway sidings and similar places, which often support colonies of Brown Argus, Dingy Skipper, Grizzled Skipper and Green Hairstreak, and occasionally Small Blue and Wall as well. I've turned up colonies of all these species in these situations local to me in eastern Somerset. I wonder if the tips on the old Kent coalfield have ever been worked entomologically?

Another habitat not often frequented by lepidopterists is the long grass that fringes arable fields, which can often support colonies of Essex Skipper and Marbled White.

It is even easier with moths, especially if you look for the day-flying ones or try to find the larvae.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Thank you for your evidence of this Mark, David and Matsukaze.

It is interesting to note that colonies of WLH are prime candidates for this. I will be sure to look out for colonies of those. I have never actually (knowingly) seen a WLH in my life and so I need to get to grips with actually seeing one first. :lol:

Yes, the tiny moth like Dingy and Grizzled Skippers will probably go unnoticed by most.

It is possible that no-one has ever done butterfly monitoring and recording on my 2 rural transects before. I spotted a Muntjac a fortnight ago and people I have spoken to who walk the woods have never seen one before. If a Muntjac can live without being noticed, butterflies could.

Whenever I get stopped by people wanting to know more about butterflies, they only ever seem to ask 'What species are those blue ones?' That is all they have eyes for - the 'blue ones.'

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the Purple Emperor might appear in South Derbyshire before too long. It has been seen just a few miles across the border in Leicestershire.
David M

Post by David M »

Otep wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:25 pm...It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the Purple Emperor might appear in South Derbyshire before too long. It has been seen just a few miles across the border in Leicestershire.
Of the larger UK species, Purple Emperor is probably the one most likely to turn up unexpectedly so long as the general distribution area and habitat are right.

Like Hairstreaks, this butterfly spends much of its time in the tree canopy and can be missed in spite of its size.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Don't forget the Large Tortoiseshell.... and potentially any other continental species that are knocking on the door just over the channel!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Good point, Paul. The odd one has been recorded well inland so it's worth putting them on your radar.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

And, of course, Southern Small White!
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

Mark Tutton wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:36 am And, of course, Southern Small White!
One lives in hope, Mark. :)

Return to “General”