Speckled Wood 3
Brimstone 2
Green Veined White 1
Large White 1
7.SmBlS(1).jpg
zigzag_wanderer

Re: May 2021

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Took a walk round my local fields today.

I only saw one butterfly braving the breeze - a female Orange Tip.

She was gripping the flower head for maximum stability in the wind.
DSC04578.JPG
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Holly Blues in my garden this lunchtime. Melksham, Witshire
9th May
9th May
9th May
9th May
9th May
9th May
9th May
9th May
9th May
9th May
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

At last ! about two weeks later than last season ,first Grizzles of the year ,always a joy to see ! Allan.W.
P1250563.JPG
P1250537.JPG
P1250577.JPG
P1250594.JPG
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Worth the wait for those 'uns I'd say Allan !

Walked round my local fields again today. Three 2021 firsts for me. Silver-Y moth, Painted Lady and Red Admiral (long time coming for the latter). Also saw two grass snakes (or rather their tails as they slithered off).

I assumed the PL I kept bumping into was just one individual, but on closer inspection there were at least two.

Butterflies seen: 4 Peacock, 3 Small Copper, 2 Painted Lady, 2 Small White, 1 Red Admiral, 1 Holly Blue, 1 GVW (male). No OTs today...and my Comma drought continues locally.

There had also been a very large explosion of small pitch-black mayfly type insects out of the local stream that runs along the western edge of the fields. Not sure I've noticed this particular species before but today was obviously their day.
Attachments
9th May: Silver Y moth
9th May: Silver Y moth
9th May: Small Copper
9th May: Small Copper
9th May: Lumpy clouds
9th May: Lumpy clouds
9th May: Painted Lady A
9th May: Painted Lady A
9th May: Painted Lady B
9th May: Painted Lady B
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see a Painted Lady in 2021. First of many, hopefully, ZZW.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Small Blue David. Fantastic. I have never seen one of those before and they are on my 2021 hit list.

Is that Grizzled Skipper an aberration Allan? The white markings there look different to my not very well trained eye.

Snakes from you aswell ZZW. Another bit of wildlife for my 2021 hit list. Good to see Painted Ladies are with us.
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

I am very jealous of the variety already seen down south. I am hoping to add a few different species to my list in 2021. With that in mind i went looking for green hairstreaks this morning without success. Only managed orange tip and green veined white. Got a fleeting glimpse of a comma but it was off before i could get a photo. Photos taken on Deeside before the heavy rain showers. At least Drum Castle was looking in top condition.
Attachments
20210509_134428.jpg
DSC_2046.jpeg
DSC_2087.jpeg
DSC_2034.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Otep ,
Yes they,re AB;Taras . Regards Allan.W.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Thanks Allan. Still on my learning curve.
walpolec

Suggestions please

Post by walpolec »

Apologies because this is possibly bending the rules as it’s not about actual sightings - it's more about potential sightings and is meant as a stimulus for a friendly chat about butterfly spotting.

I’m in my 50s and have spent a relatively sheltered life as far as seeking butterflies is concerned. This year I find myself with time on my hands and a desire see some species that are new to me. I will attach my list of species that I’ve never seen and would love suggestions for where and when to go to knock a few off my list. It’s probably limited to day trips from my Northampton home, but an occasional overnight stay might not be out of the question. I do realise that some are less realistic than others by the way!

Your input wpuld be very gratefully received...

Chris
Attachments
AF4ABBC9-EB6E-4BCF-A2C3-6D46DB85BF84.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi Chris,

A few possible "quick wins" for you in terms of distance to travel...

Brown Hairstreak occurs in several places to the northeast of Oxford (Whitecross Green Wood, Bernwood Forest/Meadows for example), along minor roads from J10 of the M40. August is the best month, so could be combined with the next two.

Silver-spotted Skipper and Adonis Blue can be found at Aston Rowant on the Chilterns. Head along the A43 to J10 of the M40 then down to J6/5. It's only a few minutes from either of those junctions. You would likely see both on a sunny day in August, and the spring brood of Adonis should also be out later in May.

Swallowtails in their Norfolk strongholds are probably within a reasonable daytrip, assuming you're happy with early starts! Hopefully they'll be out sometime in June (later than usual this year I'd guess).

There is a good site for Large Heaths at Crowle Moor just south of Goole, which again should be just within daytrip travelling. July looks to be best.

Your nearest Large Blues are in the Stroud area, at Daneway Bank (and the newly-established site at Rodborough Common). That looks more of a trek! June/July would be usually when you'd see them.

There are no doubt others, and an overnight stay will bring several more into scope: I'm sure other folk will offer suggestions (some no doubt better than mine!). Keep an eye on the sightings threads on this site, and those on the regional Butterfly Conservation sites for up to date info. Emergences are going to be a bit late this year in all likelihood (because of the cold spring) but may catch up, so suggested dates are not cast in stone.

Happy hunting!

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:41 pmAt last ! about two weeks later than last season ,first Grizzles of the year ,always a joy to see !
Certainly a joy to see two abs like that, Allan. :D

Great specimens, although it's intriguing that the underside is normal-looking.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I t was a different specimen David ,a minor AB; (Scabellata ) i believe . I managed 7 in all ,all Abberant .
Regards Allan.W.
walpolec

Post by walpolec »

millerd wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:58 am Hi Chris,

A few possible "quick wins" for you in terms of distance to travel...

Cheers,

Dave
Hi Dave

Thanks very much for that info and for those suggestions. Very much appreciated and I'm tempted by all of them! The good news from the Govt today about overnight stays might open up more options too: I have relatives in Penzance so any other species that can found down that way could become possibilities! :)

Thanks again,
Chris
Neil Freeman

Re: Suggestions please

Post by Neil Freeman »

walpolec wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:46 pm Apologies because this is possibly bending the rules as it’s not about actual sightings - it's more about potential sightings and is meant as a stimulus for a friendly chat about butterfly spotting.

I’m in my 50s and have spent a relatively sheltered life as far as seeking butterflies is concerned. This year I find myself with time on my hands and a desire see some species that are new to me. I will attach my list of species that I’ve never seen and would love suggestions for where and when to go to knock a few off my list. It’s probably limited to day trips from my Northampton home, but an occasional overnight stay might not be out of the question. I do realise that some are less realistic than others by the way!

Your input wpuld be very gratefully received...

Chris
Hi Chris,

It is more of a jaunt but with overnight stays again possible from May 17th I would suggest a couple of days in South Cumbria. You could get Mountain Ringlet at Irton Fell, Large Heath at Foulshaw or Meathop Moss and Northern Brown Argus close by at Latterbarrow.
A few years back I saw all three of these in one day in early June by heading to Irton Fell in the morning and then calling in at Meathop Moss and Latterbarrow on our way back to Arnside where we were staying. Scotch Argus are on Arnside knott but they are out later in the year in late July/early August.

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

To add to the various Painted Lady sightings (they must be advancing inland)... On a windy and mostly cloudy morning, in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it sunny moment down at Chiddingfold, a Painted Lady breezed by, swooped down briefly onto a windswept bluebell, and then was off purposefully northwards.
PL1 100521.JPG
It was the only butterfly I saw while on a quest for Wood Whites, even roosting ones. I imagine they are still to emerge: the woodland looks barely into spring here (my local patch is noticeably more advanced). Work has also been done since the summer, with diseased ash trees gone from the Triangle and other areas cleared. Here are a couple of views from there, taken from Trevor's favourite Emperor-watching spot.
view1 100521.JPG
view2 100521.JPG
Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:56 pmI t was a different specimen David ,a minor AB; (Scabellata ) i believe . I managed 7 in all ,all Abberant .
Thanks for that, Allan. This species DOES seem to throw up regular aberrations in certain pockets of the country. Always nice to see images of them.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

A selction of recent (tonight and last night) photos of white-letter hairstreak caterpillars in our local meadow, all taken at night-time:

(last night - 3rd instar with lots of pink - perhaps the same individual as the 2nd instar I posted on 7th May, moulted)

(tonight - third instar with a little pink)

(tonight - I think both 3rd instar, but too high in the tree to see - they may even be 4th)

I found or refound about 10 individuals tonight. They are becoming more visible as the leaves unfurl and the cats move onto the surfaces.

Very little on the wing today, on a windy day. Here is a female speckled wood:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

walpolec wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:46 pm Apologies because this is possibly bending the rules as it’s not about actual sightings - it's more about potential sightings and is meant as a stimulus for a friendly chat about butterfly spotting.

Chris
Hi Chris. Marsh Fritillary can be found in Little Scrubs Meadow at Chambers Farm Wood, Lincs, Pearl-bordered Fritillary are out now in the Wyre Forest, we went a few years ago to the Dry Mill Lane area and found them quite easily along the disused railway. Both are likely a 2 hour drive for you.
Good luck

Return to “Sightings”