Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Allan, no we didn't try that path because it was very windy and I thought the Butterflies would be in a more sheltered area, if we go again though weather permitting, ( it's been like Winter time today) we'll definitely check that path out. If you go again to your local site and the Grizzled Skipper is there if you let know that would be great. Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looks like my tip of Dungeness was on the money Goldie - I hope you can make a return trip - sending all the luck in the world :D 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Go get those Grizzlies, Goldie! :) You've timed it perfectly this time.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel and David, I don't know where most of the Butterflies have gone but I'm certainly not finding them.
Yesterday I went to Temple Ewell where usually you can find Butterflies but this photo I've posted shows just what I found there, it was so disappointing ,the weather was cloudy at times but there was still plenty of Sunshine, I must admit to getting quite a shock, three fields completely mowed down, no flowers at all, I've never really been there before at this time of year so not sure if this happens every year or not, one things for sure it's not going to recover there within my time in Kent :( Hope fully in July August it will be okay when I hope to be back.

It Looks like I'll have to try Reculver again which I've done twice now , first time I was lucky, second time it was so cold and windy we gave up. :D

I think I'm going to have to depend on my Garden at this rate when I get home, I've only seen a few Butterflies in my Daughters garden so far mostly white
and managed just one shot :D At least it's been great seeing the family again :D

I can't get my Daughter to venture to Dungeness , the weather plus what we've seen, or should I say (not seen) has put her off :roll: ( That's life ) Goldie :D
Attachments
BEFAD0AB-B161-4475-A4BC-54E53EBCEE2D.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
Had a flying visit to Dungeness this morning ,but very little to be seen ,and as you know the weather here isn,t up to much ,all i managed was three Small Coppers before the sun vanished ...........................things are very slow !
I tried my nearest Grizzle site later in sunny breaks between cloud and showers ..............but no joy ,must admit i don,t feel too confident of this site at present (that said i did find a very unusual Orchid rosette ) .
If the weather improves ,perhaps you should give Samphire Ho ,a go ,but instead of keeping to the reserve proper ,get onto the beach and look along the hollows at the base of the cliff ,Small Copper ,Small Blue ,Green Hair; Dingy Skip. (later Adonis blue ) Wall are all present ,and don,t forget the Wye site ,that i gave you directions for a while back ,an excellent site ,and with luck you should get Dingy Skipper ,Green hair ,Wall , and if you,re really lucky
the odd Duke or two and later (although not at present ) Adonis and Chalkhills ........Good site for Wasp Spider as well.
Another excellent site is Bonsai bank (Denge wood ) near Chartham ....................Kents largest Duke colony .
Good hunting ! Regards Allan .W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Goldie ,
Just had a quick look ,directions for the Kneading trough at Wye ,entering from (Brook ) are on your diary ,page 164. Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Allan, I've checked my Diary and found the instructions you gave me, looks like I'll have to check it out next week with the weather forecast
giving rain for the area Tomorrow and Tuesday.

It was a good day yesterday at Reculver, I only saw the Wall Butterfly again but it was better than seeing nothing at Temple Ewell :roll: They still had their wings closed. :roll:

Today the Holly Blue were finally out in my Daughter's garden so I got lots of Photos :D May be things are looking up, Hope fully. Goldie :D
Attachments
2B305574-90F5-4FB5-95E5-115356605F8E.jpeg
1052E690-04A9-468F-B117-5F662395FB44.jpeg
DC7BA981-E581-483D-B2DB-095FE7F07A76.jpeg
B326A85F-B9F0-4A47-B0A0-D8479D0E43F0.jpeg
8AFB3D14-B971-4D4A-B9F4-091AAB129377_1_201_a.jpeg
E252C7A5-2027-455B-9B00-7D333F97A483_1_201_a.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely looking Holly Blue Goldie - looks like you've learnt some Holly Blue Whispering techniques :wink: And another Wall, yet to see one myself :mrgreen: 8) I'm still sending Grizzlie vibes :D

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, it was great seeing them and even with the weather like it is I see them , the tree's are waving about like mad in the breeze but it doesn't seem to worry them. :D

I'm afraid unless the weather picks up my Grizzly dream is off, also my Daughter seems reluctant to go very far :( I must admit that Temple Ewell put her
right off, she's convinced it's a bit of a waste of time going when things aren't there when you get there. :(

To me, that's the best of it, not knowing what'll be there when you arrive :D You've got to be a Butterfly enthusiast to appreciate the unknown :lol:

I'm enjoying my visit though so we'll see how the week goes, hope fully ,a bit more stable weather will arrive.

I was walking along the cliff top at Reculver on Saturday when I saw this Bird fishing in the sea, I thought it was an Heron at first but with it being all White decide it must be an Egret, I've looked up the Egret and it doesn't seem to have a plume like this bird , what ever!!! I was very pleased to see it as were lots more people :D Goldie :D
Attachments
B588D34E-FB05-4001-A736-2934A4105F9C.jpeg
C45753B6-72E3-4A48-BC37-B03791E49096.jpeg
CBD4EF60-0A6C-46BE-B9DF-22F87A45BA76.jpeg
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Goldie,
I have done Brook (see Allan's post) near Wye several times recently on suitable days. Still hard work but I have seen a maximum of 15 Green Hairstreaks, only 1 Wall Brown, 3 Dingy Skippers. Still decent numbers of Orange Tips and Brimstones. Grizzled Skippers are not recorded here, or at least I have not seen one. Do not go up the steep steps as very little activity there at present. Keep to the overgrown area at the base before you go through the small gate with the small nature sign. I think Friday is probably the next forecast suitable day.
Your bird is indeed a LIttle Egret in breeding plumage, hence the plume. Also note the yellow feet. They are now a regular bird in Kent.
Sorry your stay in Kent has been a bit of a washout so far, although I think that applies to many areas of the UK at present.
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear about the postponement of the Grizzlies Goldie :( Still at last the Walls were some compensation and the Little Egret - they shake their bright yellow feet in the water and fish become interested in them and then they in turn become interesting to the Little Egret :lol:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Delighted to see you got an audience with Holly Blue, Goldie. Less welcome is the news regarding the Grizzlies - that species really is becoming a nemesis for you. I hope you will stumble upon one (or several) before you head back up north.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thank's dave, for telling me about Brooks , Allan also say's it's a good place, we hope fully will visit there before I go back, it's a few years since I saw the Green Hair Streaks and I'd love to see them again.

I'll see them some time Wurzel, like you say at least I saw the Wall :D we've just had a storm, Thunder, Lightening the lot! just got in the house on time :D

Hi! Dave I hope so too, but I doubt it now, my compensation has been the Holly Blue and the Wall, I even saw a Red Admiral in the Garden briefly yesterday, it was a bit worn and seemed glad just to zoom in and rest even when the Dog fancied it :D

I was pleased yesterday to see the Holly Blue in the Garden again, they have a chosen Tree in there and it's just above some lovely Blue Bells, the back Garden is sheltered from the wind to a degree and although the wind was Gale Force on the front the back part of the Garden wasn't too bad, when the Sun did shine the HB's flew :D One landed on a Blue Bell much to my surprise and looked really lovely, two colours of Blue :D

Later a Red Admiral flew in and like I said, although worn it was happy to fly a round a little before taking off again, I did see a Speckled Wood briefly,
it didn't stay long because of the wind ,no shots of that, may be Friday when the weather settles for a while. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
3DBDE3E8-9503-4A88-925E-E69892D7F5CA.jpeg
BD65B18B-D53F-4C47-9E86-97974BDEBDD5.jpeg
DD24F12A-4318-47CA-A566-FBA71C1278F5.jpeg
43FFF3D0-DFC5-4688-BF4A-C9C3088D7726.jpeg
BF7D5D1A-4482-4098-A3B3-4EDEA6EFC364.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking set of Holly Blue shots Goldie - they've been at something of a premium this year :D I know what you mean about the Blue on Blue shots - they look lush 8) :mrgreen:

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Goldie ,
Don,t give up on the Grizzlies just yet ,i,m convinced that they,ll be out shortly if we can get a day or twos sun ,i was going for a recce ,after work
this afternoon ,but the weather went down and down as the day went on so i gave up on it, hopefully Friday maybe a better day .
I do wonder if the two or three sites that i know may be a little to far for you ,but if i manage to find some i,ll send you some grid refs ,and maybe you can pinpoint the areas (two right next to one another ) on Google Earth and then you can see what you think ,i,ll try to take a pic or two of where to park and how to access the sites (both beside a public footpath ) .
Very nice Holly Blue shot on the Bluebell (the second ) you,ve done better than me with those ,i,ve only seen two !
Regards Allan.W.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Hi Goldie.
I visited Brook again today in a brief period of sunshine. Still at least 8 Green Hairstreaks about. Most close to the path and some close enough/ suitable for photographs. Also the 3 Dingy Skippers still, again next to the footpath. Didn't see the Wall Brown today but many Orange Tips, Brimstones about. Also 1 Green Veined White.
I am aware that 3 Grizzled Skippers are being seen at Dungeness, and I know their usual area, but it would be hit and miss this poor weather and its a long way from your base. Sundays forecast is looking better but not sure if you will still be in Kent then. If I hear of any closer I will let you know. They are getting harder to see in Kent in recent years.
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks again Wurzel, I expected to see them in their tree again this morning because the weather was lovely but not a sign of one even, pity because I thought I may get one with it's wings open, can't think where they've disappeared to, unless the birds have had them, we did have a storm last night so may be that affected them.
My Daughter and her Husband have asked me if I'd like to stay another week so I said yes, I've nothing to go back soon far so I may see some thing yet ! :D

Hi! Allan, I've got a week's grace :D so if they come out locally near you I may get the chance to see one yet :D Thanks for your help so far in keeping me posted :D

Hi! dave, I'm looking forward to going to Brook and may do so tomorrow all being well, if not, I've got another week now to look round, nothing much to see here up to now today, hope fully tomorrow will be better. :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

That Holly Blue shot with it posing on the bluebell is just lovely, Goldie.

Glad you've decided to stay another week. The longer you're there, the better your chances of seeing some of the rarer species.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
Just a couple of local snippets, i visited my closest Grizzle site in reasonable weather this afternoon ............none flying (1st in 2020 30th May )
A mate e-mailed me that he,d looked in one section of Orlestone forest ,again none flying ( although to be honest its like looking for a needle in a haystack ,there these days !) At my site i did hear 3 different Nightingales and two Turtle Doves by way of compensation.
I also heard from Owen Leyshon (warden for the Dungeness estate ) and he saw 5 Grizzles today in the trapping area Dungeness,at present this site seems to be the only one within striking distance thats performing, he also said that the Small Coppers are well down this season.
I,ll keep you posted!
Regards Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David, I'm glad I saw them when I did because they seemed to have disappeared now, I was really pleased with that shot :D I'd a good day yesterday has well with the Butterflies, hope fully next week I'll see some more :D

Thanks so much Allan for keeping me updated, if they do appear before I go back I'll surely be looking for them, also thanks to you and dave brown I went to Brook yesterday and found the Butterflies at last. :D

It took us quite a while to find the Nature Reserve at Brook yesterday but when we did I found most of the Butterflies that dave and Allan had mentioned :D also a nice looking Moth which is the first shot I took :D

We also met a Reserve operator ( if that's what you call them) he told us to look out for the Dukes and if we saw any to tell him. Seems they introduced them to the site 15years ago and last year he said they did very well, they were late this year because of the weather and he'd been checking each week to see if they 'd started to fly, We didn't see any but it'll be on the cards to return next week :D

I told him I'd not got shots of the Green Hair Streaks yet and he told us where to look, also pointing to one I'd not seen and nearly trodden on :oops:
He also said I'd be lucky if I got a shot of the Orange tip's has they were were searching for Females and they weren't out yet :D Noted!!! another reason to go back :D

Any way I saw a lots of lovely Brimstones and got a shot of one he was slightly weather worn but still worth a shot.
The Dingy Skipper were every where and it was hard to approach them before they were off, I did manage a few shots.
The Green Hair Streaks were also not just through the gate but along a path full of Cow Slips , I saw quite a few but just managed a shot of one, I was Happy :D
We must have been there over two hours :D I was happy when a White I looked a shot of turned out to be a Green Veined White, it was hiding in the grass because a dark cloud had arrived :D
On leaving I'd just got in the car but quickly got out again when I spotted a Speckled Wood , it was the first time I'd seen one land this year so just had to take a quick shot, it's not too sharp but at this stage having not seen too many it was a must. :D
My only disappointmentI'll was not getting a shot of an Orange Tip, I'll be back there next week . :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_3644.jpeg
IMG_3648.jpeg
IMG_3660.jpeg
IMG_3667.jpeg
IMG_3686.jpeg
IMG_3690.jpeg

Return to “Personal Diaries”