SMALL COPPER VARIANT ab. Caeruleo-punctata

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Devon Dave

SMALL COPPER VARIANT ab. Caeruleo-punctata

Post by Devon Dave »

I was surprised yesterday to spot my first ever ab. Caeruleo-punctata variant of the Small Copper. More surprising I think there were two individuals in the same general area of a local meadow, being seen within about 30 minutes of each other, or maybe the second sighting was the same individual I saw first with the sun not radiating all of the 4 blue spots.
The first one was in a tuft of grass and had 4 iridescent blue spots on the hind wings. The second sighting was on a buttercup 30 minutes later and this time it appeared to have only three blue spots on each hind wing. Maybe it was the same individual that was in the tuft of grass and the 4th blue spot was not reflected by the sun, or maybe it was a second individual with only 3 blue spots on its hind wings. Any thoughts welcome.
Attachments
DSCN8458.JPG
DSCN8458 (2).JPG
DSCN8472 (2).JPG
DSCN8472 (3).JPG
petesmith

Re: SMALL COPPER VARIANT ab. Caeruleo-punctata

Post by petesmith »

Definitely two individuals there Dave,

The first is a male and the second a female.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That looks like two different butterflies, Dave. This variety is very variable, with anything from four bold bright blue spots right down to just a handful of blue scales, barely a ghost of a single spot. The more heavily marked individuals (like one of yours - the male) are very striking. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

petesmith wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:13 pm Definitely two individuals there Dave,

The first is a male and the second a female.
That's most informative Pete, I've never seen this variant form before so to see two in one day is a real treat for me.
many thanks for your help
Dave.
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Many thanks indeed, Dave, one lives and learns with the help of others.
Dave .

Return to “Identification”