Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

The Emperor's New Clothes

Yesterday (14 April) a burst of warm sunshine (remember that?) caused a mass emergence of the Emperor Moth pupae kindly donated by my butterfly buddy, Ben (UKBer benjamin). It never ceases to amaze me how these beautiful but obese insects manage to escape from their coarse cocoons without leaving much evidence of their exit.

As I released them in a suitable location on the South Downs, the females (some still virgin) soon attracted the attention of wild males, which were constantly buzzing around and pairing-up. This was great fun and reminded me of my youth, when I'd cycle up onto the Downs on my Raleigh Chopper with a shoe box full of Emperors. Thanks, Ben!
Emperor Moth male 14.4.21.jpg
Emperor Moth female (2) 14.4.21.jpg
Emperor Moth female (1) 14.4.21.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

They are not the sort of Emperor I associate you with!. But stunning never the less.
Only ever seen one, years ago, on a wall at work in Small Dole.

Great stuff, stay well.
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful insects. :mrgreen:

Haven't seen one for a few years now, and even then I don't think I've come across one so mint fresh as those.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Trevor and David. Emperor Moth definitely qualifies as an honorary butterfly (I still try to resist 'the dark side').
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Winter Work Completed (Part 2)

Although the majority of readers are probably more interested in seeing reports of butterflies now that the season is underway, I thought I’d squeeze in one more post about some of the habitat work I’ve been involved with over the winter.

Few people will be fortunate enough to own their own woodland, or even a small part of a larger wood, but for those that do, this might provide some guidance on what can be achieved with some focused management. Before any such work starts, it is vital that a Forestry England-approved woodland management plan is put in place, and a felling licence obtained.

This property, informally known as ‘Ravens’, is in West Sussex and I first offered advice on how it could be improved about twelve years ago. After being invited back to give further advice, and having seen that the owners had harvested a large and gloomy block of conifer, I have now become more closely involved with the management, performing much of the hands-on work myself.

The western end of the wood comprises c.8.7 hectares of species-rich natural regeneration, following the clear-felling of non-native conifer in 2010. Within this area, there are some small blocks of planted and tubed English Oak. Large scallops have been cut into the margins of the main ride, which are now being mown on a piecemeal rotational basis. We have also had the mulcher in over the winter, to further widen the main ride running through this area and future-proof it against shading as the adjacent canopy increases in height. This sort of work always looks brutal immediately afterwards, but the area will look beautiful by next summer.

The remainder of the total c.37.95 hectares is a mixed bag, comprising more-mature woodland and including some nice wet areas. This is the part of the wood in which I’ve been working over the winter, together with a friend/business partner.

During the first three years of the (five-year) grant-funded woodland improvement agreement (WD2 option), other contractors were involved in what I would describe as standard thinning operations. I believe that standard thinning provides only limited and short-term benefits to wildlife, as the increase in light penetration is soon lost to rapid canopy closure; more importantly, it never produces the more extensive and joined-up areas of sunny woodland floor required by warmth-loving invertebrates.

Although standard thinning operations improve the growth rate and form of the remaining stock (important if timber yield is a key aim, as is often the case), the owners wish to focus on improvements which specifically benefit the now rich fauna and flora present here, and further increase the biodiversity of their wood.

Over the last two years, we have therefore moved away from standard thinning, to focus more on the creation of well-linked open areas, particularly in parts which will receive more sunlight. In doing so, we have also attempted to mimic some natural processes. Aside from the usual log stacks, we have also felled some groups of trees and left them lying in piles, unprocessed, as if windblown.

Around the rear margins of some of the glades we have created, we have ‘beavered away’ to ring-bark numerous Silver Birch (and one large Turkey Oak), to create standing deadwood zones of future benefit to cavity-nesting birds, beetles and fungi.

We have also favoured the retention of sallows (usually weeded-out by foresters), as they support so many species of moth, and the strong population of Purple Emperor butterfly which resides here.

The site has already produced some good bird records, the most notable being a significant population of Nightingale. On one evening visit in May 2019, we recorded seven singing males in the area of natural regeneration. Cuckoo is also annually present, together with Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. In summer 2020, a family group of Spotted Flycatcher was seen here, suggesting they bred in the wood.

The area of natural regeneration now supports Dingy Skipper, Grizzled Skipper and Brown Hairstreak. The latter has also been seen within the wider property, along with White Admiral and White-letter Hairstreak. Other more notable species include Purple Emperor, Silver-washed Fritillary, Purple Hairstreak, Marbled White, Small Copper and Common Blue.

All of this goes to show that a previously dark and unmanaged wood, with a relatively restricted fauna and flora, can be turned into an absolute haven for wildlife. The owners feel justifiably proud of what has been achieved here … and it’s only going to get better.

Area of natural regeneration
Ravens work, winter 2020-2021 (11).jpg
Ravens work, winter 2020-2021 (12).jpg
Ravens work, winter 2020-2021 (14).jpg

Area of mature woodland
Ravens work, winter 2020-2021 (1).jpg
Ravens work, winter 2020-2021 (2).jpg
Ravens work, winter 2020-2021 (3).jpg
Ravens work, winter 2020-2021 (4).jpg
Ravens work, winter 2020-2021 (6).jpg
Ravens work, winter 2020-2021 (8).jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Knepp Safaris

The socially-distanced small-group walking safaris are now well underway at the Knepp Wildland and there are few better places to be at this time of year (or any other). This year, six pairs of White Stork are nesting in the Southern Block, where the safaris take place, and another is building on the roof of the castle in the Middle Block, above Isabella Tree's study; that's what I call 'poetic justice'! If anyone is interested in rewilding, I recommend reading her epic bestseller Wilding.

I'll be leading 130 safaris here this year, all the way through to the autumnal deer rut. For now, it's the spring species which are the stars of the show. The first Nightingales have arrived and are serenading the visitors every dawn, dusk and sometimes in-between, often with a Cuckoo sounding in the distance. Many of the migratory birds are yet to start nesting, while others, such as the Mistle Thrush, have large young in the nest.

In the past, Knepp has never been particularly good for Orange-tips, but that has now changed; Nature is continually on the move at Knepp. Lady's Smock (a.k.a Cuckooflower or Milkmaids) is now spreading around the wet ditch network, bringing with it much greater numbers of the butterfly. I counted 16 individuals over just a small area on Sunday (18 April) and they're proving to be real crowd-pleasers.

Having completed an afternoon safari yesterday (20 April), I was still in no hurry to head home. During a leisurely evening walk along 'Green Lane', I spotted four of these sleeping beauties resting on either Bramble or the foodplant. After the horrors of last year, this long-awaited spring feels even better than it usually does.
UKB Orange-tip, Knepp 18.4.21.jpg
UKB Orange-tip (female at roost), Knepp 18.4.21.jpg
UKB Orange-tip (2), Knepp 18.4.21.jpg
UKB Orange-tip (male at roost), Knepp 18.4.21.jpg
UKB Orange-tip, Knepp 20.4.21.jpg
UKB Orange-tip, Knepp, evening light 20.4.21.jpg
Knepp Safari (White Stork 2) 18.4.21 (Neil Hulme).jpg
Knepp Safari (White Stork 1) 18.4.21 (Neil Hulme).jpg
UKB Mistle Thrush feeding young, Knepp 18.4.21.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Knepp Under Development Threat

We need the right houses in the right places. This doesn't include a large new housing development on the edge of the Knepp Wildland. If you care about butterflies, wildlife in general, and the rebuilding of functioning ecosystems linked by green corridors, please take a minute to read this
https://www.rewildingbritain.org.uk/new ... est-sussex
and a few seconds to sign this petition
http://savewestgrinstead.eaction.org.uk/action/

Many thanks, Neil
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Neil Hulme wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:26 am We need the right houses in the right places.
Ideally one giant castle surrounded by wilderness with multiple green corridors stretching out around the country delivering riches to and from the kingdom - ain’t that right Izzy?!

Joking aside there must be a better place to house us plebs, and surely it should go without saying that everyone involved with Knepp should be highly commended for everything they have achieved thus far.

I don’t dislike the rich by the way, as I balance atop my trusty stepladder monitoring caterpillars on their land, they often pass on their magnificent white steeds - of course I can’t understand a word of whatever it is they say to me, but I make a similar noise back and we all end up throwing our heads back with a sort of snorting guffaw (I learnt it from them) as they go on their way. Great fun - breaks up the day.

Think they should leave the foxes alone though.

Superb habitat work BTW Neil - you seem to get through a quite incredible amount of winter work year on year. Like many others that do most of their butterflying in Sussex I will benefit countless times throughout the season from your efforts over the years - it really is thoroughly appreciated.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Ben. I won't have time to cover all the habitat work performed on the Park Corner Heath & Rowland Wood reserves over the winter (sadly without the support of volunteers this time, due to Covid-19 restrictions), but I recommend a visit once the fritillaries are flying.

I once dreamt of living in a castle and being married to a princess. But I ended up living in a semi with two 'princesses'.

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Green Hairstreaks Finally Go

A rare few hours free from work (although most of my work no longer feels like work) allowed me the opportunity to visit Chantry Hill yesterday afternoon (22 April). The first thing that struck me was how retarded the grass growth is this spring, due to the combination of low temperatures and very low rainfall. Cowslips are a long way behind and rather exposed to sunshine, which doesn't bode well for the Duke of Burgundy breeding season; I hope things change in time.

Spring species are only just getting going on the north face of the South Downs, well behind the 21st century norm. However, I managed my first decent haul of chalk grassland butterflies, including Green Hairstreak (4), Dingy Skipper (4) and Grizzled Skipper (17), together with Holly Blue (1), Orange-tip (2), Brimstone (8), Peacock (9) and Large White (1).

I recall plenty of very cold springs in the past, and some turned out to be great butterfly seasons - fingers crossed.
UKB Green Hairstreak (1), Chantry Hill 22.4.21.jpg
UKB Green Hairstreak (2), Chantry Hill 22.4.21.jpg
UKB Green Hairstreak (3), Chantry Hill 22.4.21.jpg
UKB Green Hairstreak (4), Chantry Hill 22.4.21.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great shots of those Green Hairstreaks. Met Gary Norman this morning in Abbots Wood,
also searching for GH. No action of any kind at all save for a Peacock and two Brimstones.

Stay well,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:26 am Knepp Under Development Threat

We need the right houses in the right places. This doesn't include a large new housing development on the edge of the Knepp Wildland. If you care about butterflies, wildlife in general, and the rebuilding of functioning ecosystems linked by green corridors, please take a minute to read this
https://www.rewildingbritain.org.uk/new ... est-sussex
and a few seconds to sign this petition
http://savewestgrinstead.eaction.org.uk/action/
Depressing stuff, Neil. I hope the petition receives huge support. I have added my name to it.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Trevor. I doubt that Gary is too upset, having gone on to find another Large Tortoiseshell!

Thanks for supporting the petition, David; every signature helps. I've just returned from an early morning safari at Knepp, where several Nightingales were in full voice, while in full view. The dawn chorus is getting louder by the day, including at least two Cuckoo. The Turtle Dove should arrive soon.

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Emperor Moths

I had thought that all of my Emperor Moth cocoons, kindly donated by Ben (UKBer Benjamin), had hatched; not so! Three more popped out on Friday (23 April) and this time I was able to take my kids up onto the Downs near Storrington to release them. They were fascinated to see a male gradually working its way upwind before finally locating and pairing with one of the females.
UKB Emperor moth (female) 23.4.21.jpg
UKB Emperor moth (pairing) 23.4.21.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Large Tortoiseshells came up in the conversation with Gary on Friday.
Little did he know that he would go on to find one the next day!. ( His 2nd one from the same location.).

Stay safe,
Trevor.
jonhd

Post by jonhd »

Goodness, what a duplicitous shower of shite our government is. Petition signed.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, jonhd. I was trying to swallow a mouthful of coffee when I read your comment, then had to clean most of it from my computer screen. :lol:
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth

No narrative to go with this one. Simply a beautiful image of a beautiful moth, taken by my brother, Mark, in Belgium. I just love the colours. Sadly, yet another species which I seldom see nowadays; I think my last sighting in the UK was the best part of ten years ago.
Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth (Mark Hulme) web size.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Read and signed Neil - I simply cannot understand those in power :roll: :?

Anyway on a brighter note - cracking moth I've seen them at Bentley and also Botany Bay a few years ago - I'd love to see them again :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Wurzel.
I suspect you've seen Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk-moth at Bentley (the rarer of the two species, and a speciality of the site) and Broad-bordered Bee Hawk-moth at Botany Bay. Both are stunners.
BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”