Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

Good news about finding the locally sourced Small Tort Trevor - now I don't have to feel so bad about the bucket loads over this way :wink: Cracking couple of shots of the Small White - they're not normally that obliging at this stage of the season :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. That Small Tort was most unexpected, but it occurred to me
that it completed my set of SIX hibernators for the new season!. :D

Bet I won't achieve that again!.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor. '
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 pm..The biggest surprise (shock) was finding a Small Tortoiseshell at that location, only the second one I've found there.
It's easy to forget how uncommon this species is in some areas of the UK, Trevor. In a few years, the large variety may be commoner than the small the way things are going.

Beautiful images of the very delicately marked female Small White. They're not easy to get close to at any time of year, but particularly so in spring. :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks David, at the moment the score is Large Tort 1, Small Tort 1.
It would be good to see more than 6 Small Torts (my annual count in East Sussex for the past two years) this year.

Stay well,
Trevor.
trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning, allowing for the recent clock change, I went along to the old railway.
I slowly walked the whole length and back again with no sightings at all.
After lunch I drove up to High and Over, and once again nothing.
On the way home I tried the old railway again. This time I witnessed a high speed
Peacock chase which ended when they both nose dived to the ground and settled
in a cosy fashion side by side. I thought I might see a mating pair, but after about
a minute they were off at speed and over the tree tops.
Next I found an immaculate Comma posing on the ground as a dead leaf,
that is exactly what it looked like at a quick glance. Eventually it opened up
to bask in the now warmer conditions.

Hope the butterflies find some decent shelter tomorrow!.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1250328.JPG
P1250337.JPG
P1250332.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Been tricky going, Trevor, that's for sure. I've seen a good range of species round my way thus far but overall numbers (except for Holly Blues last Friday) have been rather disappointing.

Perhaps that's no bad thing, with two or three days of polar weather set to arrive. I guess it'll take at least another week for things to recover.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

What happened to Spring? It was here one minute and then last night there was a frost and today snow :shock: :( Lovely brace of Peacocks - they like Small Torts always seem to be just on the cusp of mating...and then they're gone! :roll: :wink:

Wurzel
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

The six hibernators is pretty good going Trevor - I’ll join you at that railway of yours soon and you can help me catch up. I think we need to rack up the ST sightings ASAP as I only seem to see them in early spring. Perhaps for a day or two when the next generation emerge but then nothing. Naturally it’s as disappointing and concerning as much as it is interesting, but one strange benefit is that I no longer take it for granted. If it has to move, and I have to travel north/west to see them then so be it - it’ll be a trip I very much look forward to.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks, Wurzel, David & Ben.

This morning I decided to give the old railway another try. Arriving just after 10, I saw
absolutely nothing along the whole length of the path and back again.
A gut feeling that a bit more time for the Sun to get going might bear fruit. So I went in to
town for an alfresco breakfast. Upon return to the railway path the cloud had started to build,
and I soon found a Peacock attempting to nectar on a Bluebell.
Some considerable time later I was delighted to see my first Speckled Wood of the season,
these are very often found in March at this site, so this was possibly my latest first sighting of one.

Then pure magic, there right at my feet a male Orange Tip was resting on Celandine waiting
for the Sun to return. I spent a good half hour with the OT as we waited for the cloud to part.
When the Sun did briefly return the OT slowly opened up, and soon after took a feeble flight.
But the Sun was weak and my first OT had no choice but to keep landing and basking, choosing some
very photogenic settings in the process, for my camera.

Two butterflies made for a great morning!.

Trevor.
Attachments
Male Orange Tip as first found.
Male Orange Tip as first found.
P1250379.JPG
P1250406.JPG
P1250391.JPG
P1250362.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's brilliant Trevor :mrgreen: :D It's great when the OT just appears before you - one of my favourite sights that is :D 8) Hopefully I can get onto a few in the coming days as it's finally starting to warm up over my way :roll:

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Orange Tip shots, Trevor - intermittent sun and cloud certainly helps as they have to keep grounding and the cool air at the moment means they have to warm themselves up again. It's good they've made an appearance along that path too: I remember they were a feature on your guided tour a few years ago!. :) I'm envious of the Speckled Wood too - still none around here yet. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:08 pm...Two butterflies made for a great morning!
They sure do if they're the right ones, Trevor!

Venturing out on a cool spring day is often a wise move if you want to get close to Orange Tips, as your images prove. :mrgreen:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Orange Tips Trevor, the weather's certainly bringing them out now it's just that bit warmer :D Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks all, needless to say no Orange Tips today.

Although last night's frost was not as severe as some recently, the air today seemed colder.
So apart from a very fine Bee Fly, a very dormant Small White was all that was found this morning.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1250409.JPG
P1250411.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cracking Orange-tip there Trevor, I finally saw my first one of the year today :D

Cheers,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Neil. You know that Spring has arrived ( or this year, trying to arrive ) when the
Orange Tips start to fly. When they really get into their stride I often get a garden visit.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Nice Bee Fly photo Trevor. Portly little specimen isn't it. It could do with going on a diet. :lol:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Small White Trevor :D and a cracking Bee-fly - I've spent a fair old time recently photographing them - as there was precious little else around :roll: Still things are starting to kick off now! 8)

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Otep & Wurzel. I do find Bee Flies fascinating. Something about them makes me think
that they are an awkward cross between a fighter jet and a wide bodied airliner.
And of course just like a Harrier jump jet they can hover!.

The weather men are talking about a few warmer days from tomorrow, Wurzel. :D .

Stay well, both.
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 pm...a very dormant Small White was all that was found this morning.
Wish I could find a dormant one, Trevor. :(

Whilst cold, it has been mainly sunny here and Whites seem to fly incessantly when that is the case. I don't think I've seen any of this group down for more than 10 seconds so far. :evil:

Return to “Personal Diaries”