Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Five Rivers 22-10-2020

This was possibly going to be my final trip to this site in 2020. I suppose for the sake of narrative I should really have gone to Middle Street – for the final trip to where it all began. But I wanted to see if a hunch would come off…Over the last few years I’ve found some late Red Admirals at this site and they’ve generally been in the same place. About half way along the River Path amid the treeline which follows the contours of the River there’s a break where one of the large, older trees tumbled. Climbing over the prone and decaying trunk and all around are Brambles, Ivy and Nettles. It’s here that I’ve found late Red Admirals in successive years. I’ve noticed that certain species turn up year after year in the same spots; Clouded Yellows behind the Greenstreak Field and Marshies in the ‘Bowl’ at Martin Down, Peacocks and Small Torts at the dried up pond at Middle Street etc. So I reckoned it could be for Red Admirals and this particular bed of Nettles. Hence as soon as I arrived and the car was safely abandoned, I made my way there directly.
22-10-2020 1.JPG
Sure enough as I crunched along the gravel path I spied a Red Admiral as it took off from its sentry point atop a tall stand of Bramble. It flew out and around in ever decreasing circles before eventually dropping back down near to where it had started from. I spent a bit of time here watching its antics. Occasionally it would land on some carefully selected leaves down on the deck or on the path itself. As other walkers, dogs or both disturbed it up it would go into the air again flying up high, complete a few circuits and then drop back down to its perch. Once or twice it also took off without being disturbed to attack what I guess it thought was a rival for its airspace but which in fact was just a falling leaf.
22-10-2020 2.JPG
22-10-2020 3.JPG
22-10-2020 4.JPG
After a while I carried on and around to see if there were any other butterflies still knocking about. In previous years we’ve had something of an Indian Summer and I’ve managed to notch up 5-6 species but this year Autumn has hit early. In fact there were even some Autumnal twangs as early as August so I guess I’d been warned of the rapid turning of the season. In the East of the country things would still have been ticking over but here in this part of the world things generally start a little later and finish a little earlier…Hence it was no surprise that I only managed one Dragonfly and zero butterflies during my sojourn round the reserve. A Sparrowhawk wheeling through the sky was a nice fleeting image but all too soon I was back at the Nettle Bed. As I was there and so was the Red Admiral I thought it would be rude to ignore it so once again I set about watching and photographing it.
22-10-2020 5.JPG
22-10-2020 6.JPG
22-10-2020 7.JPG
I have a feeling from now on the avifauna may be more prominent in my postings than the butterflies…

Gut feeling plays out
With (Red) Admiral Solo
Last Five Rivers trip…(in 2020 anyway)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Blashford Lake 23-10-2020

So with the season of mellow fruitfulness well underway we headed over to Blashford. We had wanted to take some exercise but the very real prospect of rain meant that a trip here would mean that we could take advantage of the shelter of the hides whilst still being able to partake our exercise. It hoped that it would mean that I would be able to get a few shots of some birds on the feeders as well so I carefully packed m camera into my dry bag.

The forecast rain arrived almost as soon as we’d left the car and so we made to head for the hides. However what with Co-vid still hanging around in the background and building a couple of the (socially distanced) wardens informed us that the hides were closed. Luckily a new addition to the visitor centre meant that we could have our lunch undercover before we set to traipsing around the tracks. After our repast the rain ceased and the sun started to eat away at the cloud so as we set off my spirits rose and my hopes ascended…might I find a Red Admiral or Specklie in the sheltered woodland? However it wasn’t to be and the walk turned out to be the quietest that I’d ever experienced. The bird list was paltry – only a few Mallard and a Grey Heron were visible on one of the lakes and there were zero butterflies. The only consolation were several of the fungi. The first was as large as a dinner plate, very light pink in colour and formed a magnificent bowl. Slightly later in the walk it was the Fly Agarics that set the woods alight with their glorious polka dot pattern.
23-10-2020 1.JPG
23-10-2020 2.JPG
23-10-2020 4.JPG
The Devenish 25-10-2020

I recall that a few years previously on this date I took a trip to The Devenish and whilst wearing shorts and t-shirt picked up shots of several individuals from about 5 or 6 different species. Not so today. Autumn hit early in 2020 and when my wife had suggested a walk I’d packed my camera more out of habit than in any great hope of finding a butterfly.

As we strolled along the little path up to the gate to the Orchid Meadow the cool breeze pulled at the leaves denuding the trees and the little slithers of red and gold danced to the ground like sparks from a bonfire flying in reverse. In the Orchid Meadow a few late blooms lingered punctuating the patchwork of decaying leaves and grasses. As we approached the gate up to the tunnel path so as to make for the Down top I spotted a leaf that didn’t look right. It didn’t fall and was moving at the wrong angle compared to the other leaves that were being jollied along by the breeze. I cautiously approached where it had eventually come to ground, took a couple of record shots and then, in an even more unleaf-like way it took off – it was a Specklie. I stood still and watched it as it bumbled willing it to go down which it subsequently did. And so I shuffled up to it and then dropped to me knees so I could get in a bit closer.
25-10-2020 2.JPG
25-10-2020 3.JPG
Chuffed I re-joined my wife and we carried on up the very steep side of the Down from whence we stared down across the Woodfords. The Valley hadn’t yet been transformed by the process of abscission and so was like a Bob Ross palette with Indian Yellow, Alizarin Crimson, Cad Yellow and Sap Green.
25-10-2020 4.JPG
There were no more butterflies seen on the rest of the walk and to be honest I felt quite lucky to have seen the late, late Specklie. The season is definitely on its last legs now…

Bob Ross’s palette
And a late showing Specklie
As the season wanes…

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Brill fungi :D . PC on blink :(
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I know all about the trials and tribulations of computers playing up having spent x number of weeks remote teaching :roll: :wink:

March 2021

Not long til these little beauties will be flying!
3 Mar 21.jpg

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Roll on!. :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Mind you just as things seemed to be getting going :D he cooler weather looks set to return :roll: Mind you I'm on 6 already for the year and have clocked up 21 Small Torts so far :shock: :D

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

21 :!: :!: , :mrgreen: Flash """. :lol:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That's just greedy Wurzel :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Six species is doing well, Wurzel - I know you had that precocious Small White a while back... I think you've had better weather than me in terms of sunshine (there has been a lot of low cloud until it's been too late for the sun to warm things up). And that number of Small Tortoiseshells is almost as many as I saw over the whole of spring hereabouts in 2020. Many :mrgreen: for both aspects! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Six species and I've yet to see one :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D love the Green Hair Streak calendar :D

When I do post some thing these days it's never in the attachments :roll: A single shot of a half moon was no where to be found, it's really frustrating, you do a write up for it, then have to rewrite because what you've described isn't there, so much for computers, I'm just hoping it sorts itself out before I do take shots of the Butterflies :roll: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I'll save a few for you ready for the 'easing of Lockdown. :wink:
Cheers Bugboy :D They do make me work for them though - I've gone without many lunches in the last fortnight searching for them, often with no reward :?
Cheers Dave :D We had about 4 good days - reasonably sunny, just creeping over double figures and light-ish winds :D Of course it's all gone to pot now though and it could be another 10+ days without butterflies if the 2 week forecast is to be believed :? :roll:
Cheers Goldie :D Sorry to hear that you're still having problems - I don't know if you do it like this already but I always type the posting up in word and put that in the same folder as the images, then you could load up the image and if it works copy the text in :)

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Avon Beach 28-10-2020

I’d seen on various reports that there were still some butterflies about, generally hanging around along the coast plus a few years back I’d found both Small Copper and Clouded Yellow over at Southbourne on a slightly cooler day than what we’d experienced previously so when my wife said that she wanted some fresh air and exercise I suggested that we visited Avon Beach. The forecast looked reasonable – warm and cloudy with the occasional break and only a low percentage chance of a rain shower…Oh what a gullible fool I am! :roll:

When we turned up and I’d gotten over the massive hike in the price of parking we set off in what is probably best described as mizzle. My hopes of a butterfly diminished with each step as the mizzle seemed to incrementally increase so instead I turned my attention to the local bird life. The breeze kept most of the passing birds further out over the waters so I wasn’t able to capture any Cormorants or Oystercatchers nor any of the gulls. On the strandline the Pied Wagtails were very wary as were the Rock Pipits but a trip of Turnstone sat nicely atop a groyne while the waves crashed in and they awaited the retreat of the tide. I quickly pulled my camera out from under my coat, took a few shots and then tucked it back in lest any salt water or rain could get in.
28-10-2020 1.JPG
28-10-2020 2.JPG
28-10-2020 3.JPG
The mizzle soon became drizzle and once we were at the point where we’d have gotten soaked anyway if we’d turned back the drizzle became a steady light rain. It wasn’t a shower but consistent and it was a little like walking through a wall of water. Luckily we’d just purchased a new waterproof rucsac and waterproof mat so we didn’t get wet bums when we paused to make a brew. Warmed and refreshed we started back and following the Law of Sod this was when the sun started to eat away at the clouds in the distance. Unfortunately we needed to get back and so we left the thin dunes and undercliff vegetation and started back towards the sunshine. The cloud still blocked out the sun on our return journey and so my camera spent most of the journey safely tucked away under my jacket right until the very end when a Great Black Backed Gull gazed down imperiously from on high. I felt sure that he was sizing me up and luckily I was a little too large for him to attack though who could of blamed him if he’d swopped down and carried off some the yappy dogs that we running amok and making a terrible racket around me? :wink:
28-10-2020 4.JPG
28-10-2020 5.JPG
Turnstones turned to stone
Great gull gazing greedily
No butterflies though

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I think some photos must have got lost when I up dated my computer, not to worry at least most are there :D It pays to take loads of the same they can't all disappear then. :) Roll on the warmer weather. Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's the way Goldie :D 8)

Work 04-11-2020

I thought that the season had ended for me back in October, I thought that the surprise Specklie at The Devenish was it. So I’d left my camera at home, memory card cleaned up, lens polished and all wrapped up snuggly in hibernation awaiting the new season.

So as I walked across the Quad towards the Staff Room at the end of the day the air was momentarily turned blue (I did check for any errant pupils before I let rip) when a Red Admiral drifted past and landed on the wall ahead of me. It sat there wings open as wide as possible doing its best to soak up as much sun as possible gloating at me as I was without camera. It’s gloating was short lived however as I pulled my iPod from my pocket, thumbed it awake and got as close as I possibly could before tapping down on the screen and bagging a couple of shots. I then backed up leaving the butterfly in the same position but looking a lot less smug as it hadn’t gotten the better of me after all!
11-04-2020.JPG
When I got home and managed to draw on enough technical nous to get the image from my iPod to me laptop and from there through Picasa and I was quite pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Definitely worth remembering that I have my iPod can serve as a back-up in future.

Surprise last sighting
A Red Admiral basking
Phew! Got my iPod!

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wiltshire Walks

A bit too late for Lockdown my wife purchased a GPS Wiltshire Walk App. The intention was to try to complete a couple a week over the summer holidays which would allow us to get plenty of exercise, visit hither to unseen parts of the county and hopefully forget that we weren’t going to be able to take our holiday abroad. I planned to take my camera, as always, but I had no real expectations I was just looking forward to seeing what would turn up…

Downton River Walk 22-07-2020
22-07-2020 1.JPG
This was the first walk and so with some trepidation we set off having left the car in the Moot car park. The first section seemed to go around the Moot and down towards the river and from there along the river side and away across the Meadows. The Moot itself, a large grassed amphitheatre with a large pond separating the terraced seating from the stage was quite pleasant as there were lovely little nooks and crannies to explore and which held different vegetation. Peacocks, Specklies, a Red Admiral by the river and a Holly Blue or three all made it onto the day list if not the memory card. Then the reason for our trepidation transpired. The map took us to one corner of the Moot but where there should have been the start of a short section of riverside path there was a high brick wall abutting the river. After a few attempts at walking about to see if the map corrected itself we walked back through the Moot and through the town until we got back onto the yellow track.

Once back on track we walked past expensive looking houses, down farmyard tracks, across cow filled fields and down through a tiny Hamlet. There were Gatekeepers now and again in the hedge, the odd white flew along the hedge and I counted three Peacocks but all was quite quiet. In the tiny Hamlet things stated to pick up with a couple of Brimstones and then we reached the main selling point of the walk – the Mill. The river had been diverted into three different sections and first we crossed the deep channelled section which used to feed the Mill itself by walking along the top of the weir. The path carried on and we crossed the overflow section with its long but low waterfalls. The reeds and brambles grew above head height here but were alive with butterflies – all seeking out the Buddleia which was growing up through various sections of the reeds. There were so many Peacocks it was difficult to count them, at least three Red Admirals and numerous whites of various denominations including a Green-veined White that behaved for once. After crossing the final section, the river proper, where a Comma and Emperor Dragonfly both evaded my lens we strode across the meadows and found a shady spot for our lunch stop off while Whites and a Common Blue fluttered about.
22-07-2020 2.JPG
22-07-2020 3.JPG
22-07-2020 5.JPG
The homeward stretch was pretty quiet despite the whites flying about with the only noticeable and identifiable butterflies being a Large White in one of the fields, a Red Admiral looking to lay and a Specklie on sentry duty as we left the final section of wood before crossing the broiling meadows and heading home. Still not too bad for the first walk out.
22-07-2020 6.JPG
We visited the river at Downton several times through the heatwave – not for wildlife watching but for river swimming. Because of this I didn’t take my camera but I still kept my eyes open on these subsequent visits. There were whites and dragonflies but the real highlight for me was when we arrived early one morning so as to get the ‘good spot’ on the banks, the sun had yet to finish its breakfast of mist and making headway against the current was a female Goosander – that was when I wished that my camera had been in my daypack!
A riverside walk
Bit of an experiment
Better for a swim?

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wardour Castles 24-07-2020

This was our second walk and promised to be an interesting one as we started at Old Wardour Castle. I’d visited here one summer many years ago when I was helping out my Grandad Polly and Uncle Jimmy with their landscaping. It was also used in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves as Loxley Castle but as it’s owned by English Heritage we wouldn’t be visiting, instead just viewing form the outside.

The start of the walk took us round the edge and up the hill skirting some woodland and then across and up various fields, along the side of a small lake and then back into some verdant woodland. On the first part we were accompanied by Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns that would take off from the hedges and there were also several Toadlets toiling away at crossing the dusty track.
24-07-2020 1.JPG
24-07-2020 2.JPG
We paused for lunch once we’d almost completed the woodland stretch and a few Specklies led me on a bit of a dance as they fluttered around while I munched my sandwich and tried to follow them at the same time. Then we left the confines of the woodland and walked across a pasture field escorted by the Cows themselves. After crossing a few more fields and walking up another hill during which the sun had been hidden and there were a few drops of rain in the air things started to brighten up as we strolled through the grounds of New Wardour Castle. On the front lawn, which had been left to grow wild and looked more like a wildflower Meadow, a Common Blue and Marbled White flew beyond the reach of my lens and safe in the knowledge that there were ‘keep off the grass signs’ along the borders. And on the final stretch a Red Admiral popped up along with a few Gatekeepers. Nothing really impressive but a fantastic walk none the less.
24-07-2020 3.JPG
Old Wardour Castle
On a day threatening rain
So not much to see…

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Remarkably fresh looking Gatekeeper there for late August Wurzel.

And I have just realised, you said Gatekeeper instead of Hedge Brown :shock:

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D I better go back and edit that :shock: :lol: To be fair they were mostly hanging around gates when I saw them :wink:

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

All this dull weather recently has made me wonder...what happens to those butterflies that emerged at the end of February when we had the warm spell? Have they hunkered down somewhere and gone back into a torpor awaiting more favourable weather or have they shuffled off their mortal coil, gone to meet their maker, are pushing up the daisies? Also recently the temperatures have just been into double figures but with a lot of cloud so do butterflies fly only when sunny and warm enough or are they more reliant on the amount of sunshine before they come out to play? :?

Grovely Woods 26-07-2020

Not really the walk featured on the Wiltshire Walks App but still one on the list. We started in the same place as usual and strode up the hill and round to the left to reach the Roman Road. However instead of turning left and following it on down past the Witchy Trees we turned right and walked for a short way before turning left and following the track deep into the woods. In a few of the cleared areas the Specklies were replaced by Ringlets, Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers and the odd Silver-washed occasionally dropped in dwarfing all the other species and sprinkling a little of the ‘wow’ factor as they went.
26-07-2020 1.JPG
We had a little ruttle around in the abandoned and tumble down school house and stopped for lunch by the wood workers ‘yard’ before heading back by the same route seeing pretty much the same species. As we reached the main drove back to the car the heavens opened for a short, sharp, shock of a shower during which we were forced (with not a coat between us) to shelter under an accommodating Oak. Shower over it was back to walking and that’s when I witnessed the most memorable part of the walk. I spied a Ringlet with its wings held wide open seemingly feeding on the underside of a flower. It looked very odd, almost as if the butterfly was hanging by it legs and thrusting its head deep into the underside of the mass of florets, twitching and vibrating its head to get every last drop. At least this was what I thought but as I watched the reason for the unusual positioning became clear as white pointed legs clawed around the top of one of the wings. It was the final death throes as the butterfly succumbed to the spiders toxins. The twitching was the last steps of the death dance.
26-07-2020 2.JPG
A hidden danger
Head first in florets twitching
Macabre death dance

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Ridge 29-07-2020

Another day and another Wiltshire Walking App walk! Today we ventured even further afield to Great Ridge Wood and Sherrington. I’d been here once before I realised as we pulled up at the car park but rather than carrying on up the hill on foot we walked back the way we’d driven and then turned off left. The gently sloping hill was bordered on both sides by chalk banks and at the start there was a large ‘bowl’ carved into the side of the hill. Straight away I saw a Chalkhill and then after a single shot a Common Blue buzzed it and off both went. I didn’t mind though as the Chalkhill was swiftly replaced by a Small Blue. I got called back to walking and it was a case of onwards and upwards with Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and the odd Marbled White and Smessex flying across from one bank top to the other and a Brimstone was the only one of the numerous whites to stop or at least stop in a position to enable me to get anything shot wise of it.
29-07-2020 2.JPG
29-07-2020 3.JPG
29-07-2020 4.JPG
As we carried on climbing the path became enclosed by woodland on one side and dairy pasture on the other and the dominant butterfly here was the Meadow Brown appropriately enough. The wood stopped and then we were walking along the edge of a Wheat field. The Knapweed and Thistles were alive with Smessex Skippers and Gatekeepers and a Dusky Sallow fed among them. As we reached the end of the field a really swarthy Small Tort landed a few times on various nectar sources and down on the path and then we’d reached the summit and it was time for lunch during which we were joined by a huge Edible Snail and a Red Admiral.
29-07-2020 5.JPG
29-07-2020 6.JPG
29-07-2020 7.JPG
29-07-2020 8.JPG
We still had roughly two thirds of the trip walk remaining and so we put our heads down and made good time possibly due to the lunch time refuelling but maybe because it was now downhill. As we descended along the side of the Down we were joined y various Whites, a few Small Torts and Red Admirals, numerous Gatekeepers although not a single one sat still long enough for a photo. In the distance we could make out a hill carving on the opposite Down.
29-07-2020 9.JPG
29-07-2020 10.JPG
29-07-2020 11.JPG
29-07-2020 12.JPG
29-07-2020 13.JPG
After a quick walk around Sherrington we set off on the final third of the walk and now the path was slightly more overgrown and the going was a bit harder. It did mean however that there were a few more butterflies; Specklies and Holly Blues joined the daily tally and all those that we had already seen were present or resent in higher numbers. The main highlight for me was surprisingly a Meadow Brown. In one of the more open stretches of the path as we neared the dairy (I love that sweet and acrid smell) I watched a small, dark brown butterfly as it fluttered along the path. At first I thought that it was a Gatekeeper but it was a bit small and too dark. Then it landed and I could see that it was actually a Meadow Brown – the smallest that I’ve ever encountered – ab.minima?
29-07-2020 14.JPG
Not a bad walk this one although to be honest I could have just hung around the chalk grassland at the start… :wink:

Great Ridge great big walk
Odd that the smalls were the stars
The best? Meadow Brown

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”