Small Heath - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 16

Not long to go now…that is if it’s safe to escape Lockdown? Hopefully the vaccination roll-out will keep on rolling and the targets will be met – stay safe out there. On a more cheery note we’re into the ‘Smalls’ this week so dig out your shots of the ‘cutest’ of butterflies :wink: Only joking everyone knows that we've already covered that one (Silver-spotted Skipper) last week.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to start selecting your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now as we’re starting to draw to the grand finale.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Bertl

Re: Small Heath - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by Bertl »

My only small Heath sightings of the year were on a visit to Grantown on Spey to see a NBA colony. Photos were taken on 18th July.
Attachments
CA6755C1-8FA0-4E86-9B8C-2D6F8CFD4762.jpeg
EC0B3FE9-CDFD-48D3-9E90-C8D5CD22AB4E.jpeg
0A00A650-FD37-4FD4-BD78-6FBDA9871A16.jpeg
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

This is my favourite Small Heath photograph. On a warm, lightly overcast day, it was more inclined to sit still for a few minutes, with forewings up.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Small Heath 16.8.2020  East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A couple of well marked individuals who posed well last year, the first with rather well developed hindwing ocelli and the second with very bold markings on the forewings.
Small Heath, Bookham Commons.JPG
Small Heath, Epping Forest.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Very common from mid May through to 22nd September on Beacon Hill, Wiltshire
13th May
13th May
16th May
16th May
6th September
6th September
David M

Post by David M »

Some great images thus far here. As this species gets scarcer I'm becoming ever more fond of it. It's a much under-rated butterfly in my opinion.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

David M wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:31 pm Some great images thus far here. As this species gets scarcer I'm becoming ever more fond of it. It's a much under-rated butterfly in my opinion.
Agreed David. When I was a teenager growing up in Lincolnshire I used to consider this to be the most boring British butterfly...it was so common on almost every roadside verge/bit of wasteland. Nowadays it is highly localised, having disappeared from most parishes. I miss it greatly!
I was delighted to find a new colony close to home last year - below is a very tatty example, but it made my week!
Small Heath 080920-3.JPG
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

The meadow area of my garden seems to suit the Small Heath and in 2020 it was flying from from early May through to late September. I have chosen two photographs from June.
Attachments
Small Heath, Garden, 2 June
Small Heath, Garden, 2 June
Small Heath, Garden, 17 June
Small Heath, Garden, 17 June
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Small Heath has a curious distribution around my local patch with good numbers at some sites but totally absent from others that would seem to be suitable, but on the whole is seemed to have an average year around here.
Small Heath - Castle Hills 17.05.2020
Small Heath - Castle Hills 17.05.2020
Small Heath - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Small Heath - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Later in the year, during our visit to Dorset at the end of August/early September they were probably the most numerous butterfly seen at most sites down there but tended to be overlooked somewhat as I was more interested in the Adonis Blues that they were flying with.
Small Heath - Fontmell Down 31.08.2020
Small Heath - Fontmell Down 31.08.2020
Small Heath - Osmington 31.08.2020
Small Heath - Osmington 31.08.2020
Cheers,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Heath

I choose two images for my favourite photo of this species this year – not because I couldn’t make my mind up but because they’re of the same butterfly which is demonstrating a nice little behaviour. I remember reading in various textbooks that Grayling are renowned for orientating themselves and tilting their wings so as not to cast a shadow (a bit like Richard Ashcroft from the Verve according to Noel Gallagher anyway). I’ve seen them do this myself – but I’ve also noticed that Small Heath do the same thing hence me choosing these two shots. In the first a little bit of shadow is visible but that’s only because I didn’t want to risk waiting for it go completely ‘flat’ as Small Heaths often take off just as you’re applying pressure to the shutter button. The second was taken once it was at full tilt from the other side.
SH 3.JPG
SH 4.JPG

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Can't really top my first of the year, taken on 26th April on the Swansea coast. It was laboured in flying and the dark, tacky appearance of the wings suggested it had only recently emerged:
1SmHeath1(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wurzel wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:13 pm Small Heath

I choose two images for my favourite photo of this species this year – not because I couldn’t make my mind up but because they’re of the same butterfly which is demonstrating a nice little behaviour. I remember reading in various textbooks that Grayling are renowned for orientating themselves and tilting their wings so as not to cast a shadow.
I think this theory about not casting a shadow is actually a symptom of over active imaginations overthinking their method of thermoregulation. All butterflies orientate themselves towards the sun to warm up. Those that don't open their wings to bask have to lean to an optimum angle to receive the full benefit of the suns rays. The only species I've not seen do this is the Large Heath, and only because I've only seen them on overcast days. Likewise all butterflies have to stop themselves from overheating, seeking out shade or in the case of species that live in open habitats which don't have much shade, by facing into the sun. The effect this behaviour has on their shadows is merely coincidental. Just my two pennies thought on the subject :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"All butterflies orientate themselves towards the sun to warm up." True indeed but it does make a nice bit of narrative and means that your can get a nice pop culture reference in :wink: :lol: Perhaps it's a twofer behaviour? :wink:

Wurzel
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I saw hundreds of Small Heath in 2020, they seemed to be in good numbers wherever I went. I recorded 512 in total; the first on 26th April and the last on 13th September. I also had peak counts of over 40 at three different locations.

Unsurprisingly, I have a few photos to choose from.

I love the simplicity of this one, taken at golden hour at Magdalen.
Small Heath, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 4th May 2020
Small Heath, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 4th May 2020
While I love the sunlight in this one at the same location three weeks later.
Small Heath, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 25th May 2020
Small Heath, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 25th May 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Small Heath”