Meadow Brown - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 11

I hope one and all had a very enjoyable Christmas (single) Day? If you did great, if you didn’t don’t worry the Favourites Thread is here again to raise your spirits. Just think this time next week 2020 will finally have passed and we’ll all be looking ahead to 2021!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Bertl

Re: Meadow Brown - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by Bertl »

Managed to see a few meadow browns last season. Mostly on 2 sites, Fallin Bing nr Stirling and Bridge of Don in Aberdeen.
Attachments
23rd June bridge of don
23rd June bridge of don
23rd June bridge of don
23rd June bridge of don
23rd June bridge of don
23rd June bridge of don
23rd June bridge of don
23rd June bridge of don
24th June bridge of don
24th June bridge of don
26th June bridge of don
26th June bridge of don
14th July bridge of don
14th July bridge of don
19th June bridge of don
19th June bridge of don
7th July fallin Bing
7th July fallin Bing
7th July fallin Bing
7th July fallin Bing
10th July fallin Bing
10th July fallin Bing
10th July fallin Bing
10th July fallin Bing
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I didn't get too many shots of the Meadow Brown this year, it seems they were hiding in the tall grass most of the time :D I did manage one for the 13th and one on the 20th of June taken at HLB my local CP .Goldie :D
Attachments
7FA769EA-0EA4-4F4F-9FB0-C3F16717A1F0_1_201_a.jpeg
B3913E90-E387-4345-B6C6-A20A288CA6D5_1_201_a.jpeg
Medard

Post by Medard »

Three pictures taken at the Old Somerset and Dorset railway Line, Shapwick Heath NNR.Somerset.

https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina)
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Excellent year for this species at my local patch, Bewley Common, Wiltshire. My earliest sighting too with one found on 22nd May
♂ 15th June
♂ 15th June
♀ 15th June
♀ 15th June
Spudjudd

Post by Spudjudd »

A glorious wood meadow in the middle of Lower Woods Glos on 26th June. Good memories...
Attachments
meadow bown.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I took quite an interest in these this year, partly due to movement restrictions meaning I was limited to searching out regional rarities. I discovered aberrations were actually quite plentiful (shouldn't really be surprising for a very common and widespread species). My favourite I think was this 'blind' specimen I found on my local patch in July :) . It really did look like someone had just blacked out the ocelli.
Meadow Brown female ab. ceaca, Walthamstow Marshes.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

One of the most prolific butterflies in my garden this year, numerically second only to the Gatekeeper, but with a much longer flight season. Until I went to find a photograph to post, I hadn't realized how many photographs I had taken of Meadow Brown and also that it is not quite as drab as I had previously perceived and at times, rather attractive.
Attachments
Meadow Brown, Garden, 3 June
Meadow Brown, Garden, 3 June
Meadow Brown, Garden, 18 June
Meadow Brown, Garden, 18 June
Meadow Brown, Garden, 20 June
Meadow Brown, Garden, 20 June
Meadow Brown, Garden, 21 June
Meadow Brown, Garden, 21 June
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Over the past few years I have been noticing more and more female Meadow Browns with extra orange markings and this year continued that trend.

One from the patch of rough ground by my local park.
Meadow Brown female - Wagon Lane 30.06.2020
Meadow Brown female - Wagon Lane 30.06.2020
and one from Snitterfield Bushes near Stratford-upon-Avon.
Meadow Brown female - Snitterfield Bushes 06.07.2020
Meadow Brown female - Snitterfield Bushes 06.07.2020
A more normal female but with double pupils from an earlier visit to Snitterfield,
Meadow Brown female - Snitterfield Bushes 22.06.2020
Meadow Brown female - Snitterfield Bushes 22.06.2020
An almost 'blind' female from Blythe Valley Park near Solihull,
Meadow Brown female - Blyther Valley Park 10.07.2020
Meadow Brown female - Blyther Valley Park 10.07.2020
A male from Snitterfield Bushes,
Meadow Brown male - Snitterfield Bushes 22.06.2020
Meadow Brown male - Snitterfield Bushes 22.06.2020
And a nice male that could almost pass for a female, seen on Enys Head on the Lizard during our week down there at the beginning of August.
Meadow Brown male - Enys Head 01.08.2020
Meadow Brown male - Enys Head 01.08.2020
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:56 amOver the past few years I have been noticing more and more female Meadow Browns with extra orange markings and this year continued that trend.
I see a few down here in south Wales too, Neil, though they remain the exception rather than the norm, unlike the very 'blue' female Common Blues that seem to have permanently usurped the brown-coloured ones.

These markings are very reminiscent of those I see in southern France and Spain. Maybe it has something to do with climate change?
David M

Post by David M »

It's always frustrating how difficult it is to get open-wing images of this species early in their flight period. They seem to become more co-operative as the season wears on - his female was fairly obliging on 20 August on the Gower coast, although her colours had understandably started to fade a little:
1M.Brownfem(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Meadow Brown

This was taken at Garston Wood and was my choice as my Favourite as it reminded me of a cracking Lockdown Exercise walk but also because it was such a fresh male. Normally the first Meadow Browns are exceedingly flighty and difficult to capture on film and then only once they’ve become worn and tired looking, a little frayed around the edges or ripped and torn, only then do they start behaving and sitting nicely. Yet this one was so fresh that he still had the slightly metallic sheen suggesting that he was only just out of the box as it were.
MB 6.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

As has been mentioned, it seems that this species opens up more readily as the season progresses, and the females seem to get brighter with more orange as well. However, here are a contrasting pair.

The first is from Aston Rowant on 28th July, and is unusually orange to the extent that in flight it resembled an oversized Gatekeeper.
MB1 280720.JPG
The second was seen at Kiplingcotes in Yorkshire, and by contrast sported buff rather than orange markings.
MB1 060820.JPG
More typical were these two, also spotted at Aston Rowant, on 2nd September. The second one of the two appears to have retained part of the pupal shell around its abdomen.
MB1 020920.JPG
MB4 020920.JPG
Dave
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

My first Meadow Brown of the year was ridiculously early on 25th May at Magdalen Hill Down. I usually find them pretty skittish, which makes photos difficult!

So it was a delight to find this female sitting just right, hanging out over a ride, practically begging to be photographed. So I did. From both sides.
Meadow Brown, female, Crab Wood, Winchester, Hampshire, 16th June 2020
As Neil mentioned above, I also find more orange females, but later in the season. There seems to be a surge of late females in the autumn and I saw my last on 30th October - a staggering six month flight season.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Post by David M »

That's a striking individual, Lee. I've seen a few with orange suffusion on the hindwings but yours has a grey 'dusting', which is quite unusual.

She certainly posed beautifully, that's for sure. :)
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks, David. It was one of those can't believe my luck moments!

Best wishes,
Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Twin spots seem to becoming the norm for this species - it would be interesting to look back at photo records over recent years to see how this trend has developed.

Mine was a 'lucky spot' during a walk at my local reserve of Dry Sandford Pit. It was on a steep slope, down the side of the path, and I though it was going to be impossible to approach the pair without disturbing them. Fortunately the were fully engrossed with one another and my clumsy scrambles on the bank went unnoticed!
Dry Sandford Pit, Oxon - 23rd July 2020<br />Olympus E-M1-ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/500s @ f/9 ISO 640
Dry Sandford Pit, Oxon - 23rd July 2020
Olympus E-M1-ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/500s @ f/9 ISO 640
Mike
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

All three of my Meadow Browns were taken on my local lockdown patch (mid-Kent ) ,the very pale individual ,unfortunately well past its sell by date ,was one of three i saw this year ,including a very fresh individual which just would not settle ,and when i returned for another "Go" ,early evening it had departed . the other two ,a standard female and one slightly different!
Regards Allan.W.
P1190915.JPG
P1190954.JPG
P1190947.JPG
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

So many good shots this year of Meadow Brown. This one reminds me of a fine day out at Brookwood Cemetery photographing many insects over a small patch of creeping thistle :D . As well as the many Meadow Brown there were Nowickia ferox tachnids, various Hoverflies and thick-headed flies.
IMG_0607 Maniola jurtina, Meadow Brown, Brookwood cmemetery t.jpg
Phil

Return to “Meadow Brown”