Silver-spotted Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 15

We’re almost at the juncture in time when we could start the Countdown Clock! Another week, another set of Favourites and it’s been a funny old week too – mild weather and storms followed by really cold weather and snow and the first butterfly reports for 2021 have started to trickle in!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to start selecting your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now as we’re starting to draw to the grand finale.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Silver-spotted Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by bugboy »

These had a terrific season, large numbers were encountered at all their sites I visited in August. Here's a posing female early on in their flight season from Box Hill
Silver-spotted Skipper female, Box Hill.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

The Silver-spots were out in force at Box-hill ... I can't ever remember seeing them in such good numbers and I got lots of pitures.
This one though not the sharpest of focus, shows them off in a cute way.
IMG_2628 Hesperia comma, Silver-spotted Skipper (courting pair), Box Hill zig-zag t01.jpg
Phil
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't see this species in the UK in 2020, but there were hundreds in eastern Spain during my trip there between 30 July & 5 August:
1.SSS(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I thought that I was going to miss these in 2020 until I realised that I had a possible chance to catch up with them by stopping off at Fontmell Down on our way down to Dorset at the end of August. It was getting on in their season and there were a lot of large dull clouds plus a chilly breeze but I managed to see around half a dozen, mostly worn males but a couple of females were still looking reasonable.
Silver-spotted Skipper - Fontmell Down 30.08.2020
Cheers,

Neil.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

I always call in on Warren Hill, for this species, on my annual pilgrimage to see Brown Hairstreaks at Shipton Bellinger. Good numbers there this year.
30th July
30th July
30th July
30th July
30th July
30th July
30th July
30th July
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

My only encounter with Silver-spotted Skipper in 2020 was at Aston Rowant. I now avoid the noisy side since I find the M40 unbearable. The other side is not much better but the wild flowers are superb and the view is better. The butterflies were flying in good numbers and 20 species present including plenty of Silver-spotted Skippers, one of my favourite species and well worth putting up with the racket.
Attachments
Silver-spotted Skipper, Aston Rowant, 3 August
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I caught up with Silver-spotted Skippers at Broughton Down in Hampshire in early August. It is a great site for them, managed by the Wildlife Trust.
Silver-spotted Skipper, Broughton Down, Hampshire, 6th August 2020
Silver-spotted Skipper, Broughton Down, Hampshire, 6th August 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Silver-spotted Skipper

I couldn’t decide which of two images to choose for my favourite so I went with both of them. Both were taken at Perham Down, a new site for me and one which is great for three reasons; it’s just over the road from Shipton Bellinger so it’s possible to get Silver-spots and Brostreaks on one trip out, there’s a cracking range of species present and possibly most important for me it’s in Wiltshire ;-).

The first one I chose as I kept coming back to it when looking through all the images I had taken of this species. I like getting the classic side-on, wings tightly closed perilously and pendulously hanging from a flower head.
21-07-2020 14.JPG
The second I chose because it was an action shot showing how long their proboscis is and revealing the markings on the antenna tips. In Essex there are ‘ink dabs’ and Small have ‘indicators’ which must mean that Silver-spots have brake lights…
30-07-2020 39.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

These were flying on 2 August at Watlington Hill, Oxfordshire. They flew fast and low over the short turf, and were difficult to follow and skittish, making tricky photographic subjects. The abundance of Cirsium acaule in the sward did not help matters, either.

The first 'new' species I have seen in Britain for 10 years or so, and the 50th in all.
P8030055.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Silver Spotted Skippers had a good season at my closest Kent site at Temple Ewell / Lydden near Dover ,and i thought on two occasions ,that i was going to witness a pairing ,something that still eludes me ,but although i watched a pair chasing here and there for nearly half an hour............it never happened ,maybe next season ! I was pleased to get a shot of a male and female topsides together (while the pair were resting between chases ! Regards Allan.W.
P1200901.JPG
P1200944.JPG
P1200982.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

As ever, Aston Rowant provided my most plentiful sightings of this species in 2020, though there were good numbers around at both Box Hill and Denbies as well. The ones that stick in the mind were a pair I watched courting, oblivious to my presence right next to them. I managed shots of each individual before the female finally succubed to the charms of the male.
SSS4 010820.JPG
SSS5 010820.JPG
SSSx2 8 010820.JPG
SSSx2 16 010820.JPG
Dave

Return to “Silver-spotted Skipper”