Purple Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 13

Well 2021 hasn’t started too well has it! Strange to think that it’s looking like a complete butterfly year could be spent whilst under some form of Restriction be it the Rule of 6 with Social Distancing up to a Full Lockdown :? . Oh well things do have to get worse before they can get better so let’s hope this is the worst that we’re experiencing now. Stay safe UKBers!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to start selecting your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now as we’re starting to draw to the grand finale.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bugboy

Re: Purple Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by bugboy »

In contrast to the other Purple One, 2020 was most definitely a vintage year for the Purple Hairstreak, the third in a row now when they have descended from the treetops in droves. Despite coming down in countless numbers, getting a decent image is still a challange though, they are right fidgety little buggers for the most part. Having said that I did manage this one of a fresh female basking one morning at Bookham :)
Purple Hairstreak female, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

As bugboy says, a great year for the Purple Hairstreak, and no question as to my favourite individual. From central Lincs, definitely the highlight of my UK butterflying year! A gorgeous fresh female ab.flavimaculatus:
Purple Hairstreak ab flavimaculatus 3.JPG
Purple Hairstreak ab flavimaculatus 2.JPG
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

I find female Purple Hairstreaks much easier to photograph with a full purple show than males. This photograph of a male was my best effort for 2020. By 0700hrs, the sun was already too bright for an ideal image, when I saw this male at rest with wings closed. After a stealthy approach, I was ready and waiting with camera in hand and after about 10 minutes, it started to slowly open its wings. With a faint glimpse of purple just starting to appear, he was spooked by another male flying over and that was that! Already looking forward to this years flight season for another go.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Purple Hairstreak (m) 2.7.2020  East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was lucky when I was in Kent last year because of the restrictions lifted in the Summer I was able to go to Kent in my car to visit my Daughter, we didn't venture too far with out the masks :D In East Blean woods I was pleased to see the Purple Hair Streaks, they were high up in the tree but I still managed a few shots which made my holiday. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
854CCED3-CA01-44F5-942A-2B6A8E19F110_1_201_a.jpeg
29732092-C92C-4BB7-BCF2-0F75E6960905_1_201_a.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:57 pm...and no question as to my favourite individual. From central Lincs, definitely the highlight of my UK butterflying year! A gorgeous fresh female ab.flavimaculatus
I never get tired of seeing that, Pete. I doubt anything could surpass it. :mrgreen:
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

I do have Purple Hairstreak locally. I saw them in Aversley Wood, Cambs but most were high up in the trees. A single down low but still out of reach of the camera 7th July. I did manage a few quick shots at Woodwalton Fen on the 12th and 19th but mostly I was standing at a distance pointing them out to others who had found a new interest in nature and had never seen them before, for me that was most rewarding.
PURPLE HAIRSTREAK _0124.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Most of my encounters with this species were down in the woods at Bookham, where (using a phrase of Bugboy's) on some days it was "raining Hairstreaks". However, a pristine example appeared earlier on at Chiddingfold, but kept itself closed. That said, the underside provided some very subtly-coloured views.
23rd June
23rd June
Down at Bookham in July, there were plenty of open-winged examples, but the habits of this butterfly quickly lead to it becoming worn and tatty, and the beautiful blue-violet sheen of the fresh male and the iridescent purple/blue of the fresh female soon become muted. I did find a new female, but was unable to get properly above her (I had gallantly ceded what would have been the best angle to someone who had never seen one before!)
7th July
7th July
This was the best of the males I came across amongst quite a number seen down on the low foliage on 13th.
13th July
13th July
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

This is a troublesome species to get close to round my way. They are fairly widespread (I've even seen them up in the oaks of my estate) but I've never come across one low down and approachable.

On 19th July, there were a handful buzzing about at the High Brown site near Bridgend, but this dismal effort was the only recognisable shot of this species I was able to get in 2020:
1PH2(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Purple Hairstreak

I actually managed some half way decent shots of this species again this year, they seem to have come down a bit more regularly over the last few seasons and this year the trend continued. I managed to photograph them at Bentley and also Grovely Woods but it was this one form Vernditch that stood out as my Favourite. It’s not in the best of nick and the shot was taken on a very grey, damp and windy day but it still trumps the sublime female that I had taking salts from my hand at Bentley as it was a total surprise finding it there.
04-07-2020 4.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Another nice female at a bracken hot-spot at Bookham Commons, though ambition is to get that elusive fresh male :)
IMG_3755 Favonius quercus, Purple Hairstreak (female) Bookham Commons t m02.jpg
Phil

Return to “Purple Hairstreak”