Large White - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 9

Not long to go now! I reckon it'll only be another week and the Easter Eggs will be in the shops! :D :wink:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
downland boy

Re: Large White - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by downland boy »

This Large White larva was being pestered by two parasitoids awaiting their opportunity.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Large White (5th instar larva on garlic mustard_ with attendant parasitoids) 5.6.2020  East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Appeared to be a good year for all the whites in my part of Wiltshire this year.
3rd July
3rd July
13th July
13th July
6th September
6th September
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A few encounters this year, more than the past few years. This female gets my vote though bringing back memories of a very successful day down in Brighton catching up with UK bred LTB.
Large White female, Whitehawk Hill.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw this Large White in my garden on the 29th of July, very unusual that's why I like it. Goldie :D
Attachments
8AA2FCF6-B1B0-43EA-A737-D1C2E890F9A0_1_201_a.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:11 pmI saw this Large White in my garden on the 29th of July, very unusual that's why I like it.
That's a beauty that one, Goldie....almost like a Canary Large White. :)
David M

Post by David M »

After a few years of relative scarcity, this species bounced back resoundingly in my area in 2020, especially in late summer/early autumn. They lasted well into October and this female nectaring from valerian on 1st Oct is probably my favourite:
1_LWfem(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Large Whites were very thin on the ground during the first half of the season around my patch with just occasional individuals turning up here and there. From mid-summer onwards, they were far more numerous, with numbers no doubt bolstered by migrants. The highest numbers I saw were on the Lizard during the week we spent down there in early August.
Large White - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
Large White - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
Large white - Kennack Sands 03.08.2020
Large white - Kennack Sands 03.08.2020
Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Large White

This was going to be my favourite shot as it featured my second pairing of Large Whites. As I clicked away I couldn’t work out why the pair stayed where they did even though one of them was adamant that it wanted to be elsewhere. It was later when I was sorting through the photos from the day that I noticed the gruesome sight of a couple of thin, white legs gripping the prone butterfly. It was such an interesting shot that I knew I had to select one of the images for the Favourite – but which one? Luckily the decision was easy to make as at the end of the sequence a fly landed on the prone butterfly adding even more interest to it.
04-08-2020 15.JPG

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

The second half of the summer saw Large Whites everywhere, near me; they had a good year it seems.

This female was at West Wood, Winchester, in July.
Large White, female, West Wood, Winchester, 5th July 2020
Large White, female, West Wood, Winchester, 5th July 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Like with Lee, the second half of the season was much better than the first half for Large Whites local to me. However, my favourite shot came from Aston Rowant where they are always a feature of the summer months.
LW1 170720.JPG
Finding caterpillars is usually not too difficult in August if there are any nasturtiums around, but I was surprised to find some in May on the garlic mustard I was searching for Orange Tips and GVW.
LW cat2 240520.JPG
Dave
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Always a fun challenge to capture a butterfly in flight. This male Large White at Shipton Bellinger was pleasing :)
IMG_1368 Pieris brassicae, Large White (male) t.jpg
Phil
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Not difficult for me to choose my favourite Large White photo as I didn't take too many.

This was from 24th August
DSC02594.JPG

Return to “Large White”