Hazards of Butterflying

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Annie

Re: Hazards of Butterflying

Post by Annie »

padfield wrote:The modern question, of course, is this: If Dave had indeed been hit and injured by the rabbit, who would he have sued?
More to the point, would claims direct think he'd gone a bit bunny in the head? :lol:
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

The insurance company would probably have claimed that it was a 'hair'.
Alex
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

You haven't lived unless you've eaten windfall rats.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Another hazard of Butterflying, is being stuck with some know all bird photographer. I don't know why but they seem to drift towards me, no matter what evasive manoeuvres I make, or how unapproachable I try to look, Inevitably I'll hear an "alright mate" behind me. I'll nod a greeting and try to move on, but next thing I know he's invited himself along. Lisa and I always try our best to be polite, but not too friendly, hopping that he will get the hint, and go forth and urinate. But no they stick to us like glue, and without fail, they always end up telling us how best to photograph butterflies. Maybe because we are doing butterflies rather than birds, they think we are new to photography or something, but they always end up doing it. It wouldn't be so bad if they were using some top end kit themselves, but invariably they are using a consumer lens on a low end body, no doubt taking crap pics of some distant grey spec, that could possibly be some sort of Warbler. :!:

Gruditch
eccles

Post by eccles »

Hah! I was trying to photograph purple hairstreak with Denise last month near Chew Valley Lake and a knowall with a video camera latched onto us. Having regaled us with his extensive knowledge of butterflies such as dark green fritillaries being found in Lord's Wood, and brimstones not being found in July, he insisted that getting 30 seconds of video on his titchy Sony camcorder was far more demanding than getting a still shot from a DSLR. I felt like saying "OK Johnny bloody Kingdom, where's your real camera?"
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Gary

I fully understand the irritation caused when other would-be helpfuls are just a damned nuisance.

However, the continual digs you make at what you call low-end cameras is a little unfair. You have probably never heard of the medical condition Ankylosing spondylitis from which I suffer. The main manifestation is that I cannot bend my neck, so for example getting down at ground level to peer through a SLR viewfinder is just impossible for me; it could be said that I suffer from a disability but of course I don't like to think of myself in those terms.

So when someone is obliged to use a camera with a flexible viewing angle (and as yet not available in DSLRs except at huge expense) he might actually wish that he were able to use a DSLR and get better quality. But that option simply isn't available for some people; we are stuck with operating within our limitations whether or not we like it.

Jack
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Jack,

I too have A.S! What a coincidence.
And yes, it can be really painful carrying a heavy camera around, let alone using one. I cannot cope with heavy lenses (Canon 100-400) but I'm OK with Sigma 150M.
Chin up, we all do the best we can.

Take care
Denise
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

AS affects different people in different ways. Carrying things is not a problem for me but with an extrememly stiff neck, contortions are impossible.

Hard luck having AS. I had heard that although fewer females get it less often than males, when females do have it, it can be much worse.

I look at Michael Atherton, former England cricket captain, as inspiration as to how the problem can be minimised.

Jack
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Jack,

Belt up you grumpy old git, and read the post properly, I said
Gruditch wrote: but invariably they are using a consumer lens on a low end body
which means a low end DSLR and a rubbish lens. I made no reference to a compacts or a bl@@dy bridge, (which incidentally are both crap). :D

Love Gruditch
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Here's a new hazard: poisonous blackberries.

I cheerfully guzzled a few wild blackberries while walking through the vineyards on Tuesday afternoon, only to notice (too late) this sign tight in against the bush:

Now, it might be coincidence, but since 10.00pm on Tuesday night I have been bed-bound with crippling stomach pains and other symptoms I won't describe in case someone is eating their dinner! My dog went her first day EVER without a walk yesterday.

What kind of stuff do they spray in the vineyards??

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I've no idea - but to knock you out, it must have been powerful stuff.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I remembered last year (why I did this I really don't know) but I decided to get up at 7:30am and at 8:00am I was walking towards a field that is 20mins walk from my house or so, then I walked farther and into another field. I did see some meadow browns and ringlets and I got a few pics. I was a bit tired as I got up a little early and walked so far. Then amonst other things, I was around 40mins walk away from home and it started to rain. I snagged my jeans on a barb wire fence, went head over heels over the fence onto a grassy/muddy patch and had to walk home, wet and muddy, and just about made it home as I was tired and spent a lot of that day resting as I recall. I made it home around 11:30am-12 that morning.

Never again, unless I can get home easily.

Oh and get well soon Guy, sorry you missed that sign
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Guy,
I think they've sprayed all of the blackberries in Europe in an attempt to stop Rosy Rustic from stealing them all :lol:
Get well soon.
Neil
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

That wooden cross looks like as though someone might be buried, its not someone's name on the post. :( Hope your feelin better soon. Shirley
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

No, don't tell me you can see my name on the post... :D

I go that way a lot and this is very recent. And yes, I think I'm feeling much better in general, though my groin still feels as though it has had an expensive session with a Thai masseuse in knuckledusters. Or perhaps one of those Mediaeval re-enactments Gruditch goes in for.

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

I had a bad experience with blackberries as well Guy!

I was walking through a field (short cut) when my trousers got caught on something with thorns. When I was in the process un hooking myself. I noticed (by touch) some blackberries on it. Excellent I thought. So I started eating some. The next minute there was this man chasing me a swearing at me telling me there I was standing next to a sign that clearly said 'Do not pick. Private Property'.

Unfortunatly I couldn't see that, so ended up running away as fast as I could, but laughing at the same time because it is the sort of thing I would do :roll: But clearly the angry person thought I was being rude, even though I was saying sorry. Lucky I was able to handspring over the gate and made a very fast escape in the time he took to open it and would catch me! :lol:

I havent been back!

Get well soon Guy, I didnt get tummy ache after my experience

Mouse
Susie

Post by Susie »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi Guy,
I think they've sprayed all of the blackberries in Europe in an attempt to stop Rosy Rustic from stealing them all :lol:
Get well soon.
Neil
The blackberries are safe from me at the moment, I am tied up with other things.

Get well soon, Guy.
Piers

Post by Piers »

padfield wrote:Here's a new hazard: poisonous blackberries.

I cheerfully guzzled a few wild blackberries while walking through the vineyards on Tuesday afternoon, only to notice (too late) this sign tight in against the bush:

Now, it might be coincidence, but since 10.00pm on Tuesday night I have been bed-bound with crippling stomach pains and other symptoms I won't describe in case someone is eating their dinner! My dog went her first day EVER without a walk yesterday.

What kind of stuff do they spray in the vineyards??

Guy
Hi Guy,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune! In all seriousness (and without being alarmist) you may be well advised to seek medical assistance PDQ, and preferably take (if you are able) some of the contaminated foliage with you.

It is possible that the spray that has been used on the vines could contain one or more chemicals that could cause liver or kidney damage if ingested. Just because you're not suffering anything more than an embarrassing stomach upset at the moment doesn't mean to say that you shouldn't get it checked out.

I don't know what the legislative situation is in your neck of the woods regarding the more potent pesticides, or whether or not people would actually take any notice of any restrictions anyway..!

Besides, if I were you I would be fascinated to discover what compound I had ingested!

Felix.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks for the advice, Felix. In fact (and I'm not inviting comment on this - just see it as a personal choice!) I opted not to use doctors or drugs twenty five years ago, because of the exploitation of animals in medical research and training. I don't demand the same of others because currently there is no evidence-based alternative to orthodox medicine and so the choice is starkly unfair. But I've made my own choice and I shall stand by it.

HOWEVER, it so happens that I'm giving maths lessons this evening to one of the local doctors' children and if he's in I might ask him, in a non-professional capacity, if he knows of pesticides in use that might have this effect. My main worry is that if a couple of berries have this effect on me, what might they do to wild birds or mammals? Perhaps I have a duty to report the situation.

Thanks again,

Guy

PS - As the above implies, I'm much better now and able to get around, though certain, ahem, movements are distinctly uncomfortable!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

All this nonsense about contaminated berries. The Large Hadron Collider is in you part of the world isn't it Guy? Too much of a coincidence.

The end is nigh.

I was told the other day - and I can't really believe it - that it's an offence in Switzerland to flush the toilet during the night (noise disturbs neighbours). Is that really true?

Jack

Return to “General”