Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 1

And so it begins…Starting this week the first opportunity to showcase your favourite shots of 2020! :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Also a quick reminder that it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 first so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Let’s get cracking!

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by millerd »

That time of year again... It doesn't seem possible. :)

I'll start with a thank you to Wurzel for taking a slice out of his Sunday evenings for the next 20 weeks to bring us these opportunities to relive the best bits of the season. Cheers, Wurzel!

And now back to a butterfly or two. For me the most concerning aspect of the Adonis season was the severe drop in numbers in the second brood at Denbies hillside. There were very few on the visits I made, though things seemed okay next door at Box Hill and certainly further north on the Chilterns at Aston Rowant. However, one of the few I came across at Denbies on 14th August stands out. Newly emerged in relatively cloudy conditions, it was quite docile and as well as posing open-winged it happily took minerals from my finger.
AB12 140820.JPG
AB4 140820.JPG
AB9 140820.JPG
The various angles to the light these different views provide illustrate the variability of the briliant blue colour of the butterfly.

Dave
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

In 2019 my local Chalk Downs acquired Adonis Blue, although they seem to have flourished this year, the number of aberrations is remarkable and I photographed some extreme examples. However, they have extended the season considerably and I enjoyed many hours in their company. Especially welcome in 2020, given the advice to limit travel.
My first photograph is of a first brood male, taken in the early hours, that appears to have roosted in a Pulsatilla seed head, something that I haven't seen before. My second photograph is of a very busy scene in August of two Adonis being harassed by a resident male Chalkhill Blue. He was making his views on introductions very clear.
Attachments
Adonis May 2020
Adonis May 2020
Adonis August 2020
Adonis August 2020
David M

Post by David M »

Managed to get to see this species in the UK in mid May, at Rodborough Common, Glos. There were only a handful, but one of them was this attractive aberration:
1Adonisab(1).jpg
Standard forms were also available:
1Adonis4(1)(1).jpg
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

An early morning foray around Yoesden Bank in Buckinghamshire on May 17th yielded a good number of male Adonis Blues as well as a handful of females.
Adonis Blue4.jpg
Adonis Blue (m).

Adonis Blue7.jpg
Adonis Blue (f).

Adonis Blue2.jpg
Adonis Blue (m).
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I caught up with Adonis Blues, as I often do, during our few days down in Dorset in early September. I saw them at all the usual sites plus also found a few at some other spots along the Purbeck Ridge when I went looking. Overall, numbers seemed similar to last year, that is, not as numerous as I have seen in previous years. I didn't manage any outstanding shots, mainly due to the persistently breezy conditions which meant the butterflies usually settled down amongst the vegetation, but got a few that I was reasonably happy with.
Adonis Blue male - Osmington 31.08.2020
Adonis Blue male - Osmington 31.08.2020
Adonis Blue female - Osmington 31.08.2020
Adonis Blue female - Osmington 31.08.2020
Adonis Blue male - Bindon Hill 02.09.2020
Adonis Blue male - Bindon Hill 02.09.2020
Adonis Blue female - Bindon Hill 02.09.2020
Adonis Blue female - Bindon Hill 02.09.2020
Cheers,

Neil
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Adonis Blues were present in small numbers on my local patch this year, after an absence of some years and I have spent a lot of time searching for them. In spring, only males were found, but in summer, I also found females, which suggests a small colony is establishing :D
Adonis Blue, male, Winchester, Hampshire, 11th August 2020
Adonis Blue, male, Winchester, Hampshire, 20th May 2020
Adonis Blue, male, Winchester, Hampshire, 20th May 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D

Adonis Blue
So here I go! The Adonis Blue is a hard one to start with for me as I’m often so far behind that when it comes to selecting my favourite photo I still haven’t actually sort through my shots of the second brood. Luckily my Favourite shot from 2020 came from the first brood which I had sorted out (just :wink: ). It was taken at my Duke Site during Lockdown but once we were allowed to drive a certain distance for exercise. It had been a cracking morning with Marshies, a Duke and also possibly a couple of other Favourite photos in the bag as well. This Adonis was my very first of the season and it was stunning – a blinding blue amid the greens and yellows of the flowers and was well worth the risk of losing a leg or arm to some unexploded ordinance.
08-05-2020 14.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

After missing the first brood due to lockdown restrictions my hopes all fell on the second brood which, unfortunately, seemed to be somewhat lacklustre. This one came from a rather windy day on Malling Down in August
Adonis Blue male, Malling Down.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Two from Beacon Hill, Wiltshire Aug/Sept
IMG_5215 (2).JPG
ab.obsoleta
ab.obsoleta
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

My Adonis Blues were all from the first brood ,taken near Wye ,Kent ,fewer flying this year ,compared to the last two years
but still a few glorious females to be found (after a slow start !).
Changed sites for the second brood ,as the roads close to the spring brood sites ,get very busy with farm traffic ,during the harvest . My "new"
late summer site is near Folkestone ,a site i intend to visit much more often next year (hopefully !)
P1160147.JPG
P1160577.JPG
P1160552.JPG
P1160528.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Stevieb wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:29 pm Two from Beacon Hill, Wiltshire Aug/Sept
Nice ab that one, Stevie. :)
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

I always struggle to get a decent photo of an Adonis so any uncluttered shot of an open-wing is a likely candidate. This male is probably up there for my best of all time.

Photo taken at Cotley Hill
IMG_4940 Polyommatus coridon, Adonis Blue, Cotley Hill g t.jpg
Phil

Return to “Adonis Blue”