Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Goldie M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:05 pm...The storm was really bad here, we seemed to be in the eye of it at one point, because it went very still and the Sun came out and then we were plunged back into it again, then it rained here until midday today but when the Sun did appear so did the Butterflies :D Goldie
Good job they are hardy little creatures, Goldie. :)

Same thing here with the storms. It thundered again yesterday and today, in spite of a good forecast, it was mainly cloudy and very cool (around 15c) for late August. We've gone from the hottest ever August Bank Holiday in 2019 to probably the coldest in the space of just 1 year! :shock:
trevor

Post by trevor »

I can't send you any Painted Ladies, I've only seen the one so far this year,
but you seem to have Small Tortoiseshells to spare. I've only seen four in
East Sussex in 2020. You have some lovely shots of them.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Trevor, every one is seeing loads round here, I counted up to 14 just in my Garden alone, on the front and Back gardens , they're in the side garden now on the Autumn Glory :D

We seem to be having a real influx of Small Torts at present, although the Mornings are much colder the Butterflies are out in the Garden at 8am, I've never known them so early before.
We're also getting the Red Admirals who seem to be getting frustrated with the large amount of Tort's :D I watched one Admiral who specifically liked a certain spot on the Autumn Glory because it was shaded, fly onto this spot ,which it'd had before. and which a Small Tort had taken over start to roll or flap it's wings at the Tort who immediately did the same back, then to my amazement the Admiral knocked the Tort off the plant by rolling is wings and took it over, off flew the Small Tort. :roll: :D I also saw a Silver Y Moth hiding in the flowers :D
I also saw one small Tort that looked much different having lots of White on it's wings instead of Yellow, could this be an ab or is it just wear I wonder :?:
Any way it's certainly been an Interesting few days :D Goldie :D
Attachments
29E1984B-693C-40E7-9DB7-C2EABA9E6C43.jpeg
FDCFB30A-97EA-427F-B72B-CB04462D6869.jpeg
B0DA3819-1014-49F8-9B9B-00BA81110DB2.jpeg
958AC6D1-439C-4EDD-BA3A-BEAE3B0D37F4.jpeg
356EBE41-C50D-4D4C-9EC8-1F7D8C424499.jpeg
B7499673-84DC-474C-AC53-95DE5CA0EC37.jpeg
D7B69F5E-5331-4C90-9EFF-BE48D9D71981.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Goldie :D :mrgreen: I'd like to have seen the stroppy Red Admiral - sounds like he was pulling rank :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Hi Goldie, I don't know if your Small Tortoiseshell is an ab. but these individuals with paler coloration seem to crop up quite regularly. In fact, with there being so many around at the moment (at least in Lancs & S. Wales) I'm seeing them range from very pale to quite dark.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I like that, pulling rank :lol: We're getting more and more Admirals every day, I saw them this morning before the rain arrived, also the Small Tort's but I was busy and by the time I Finished my chores the rain arrived :roll:

Hi! David, I don't think the Small Tort is an ab, the variation in the Butterflies makes for a nice contrast though :D I keep hoping the large Tortoiseshell will arrive in the North, only because we get so many of the Small Torts here, I think it would be Ideal for them. :D

Yesterday was another full day of Butterflies, so many ST's they were landing on the car and I even got a Red Admiral landing on my Shoulder :lol: It flew off afterwards and landed on my hanging basket, although I've posted lots of shots of the Small Torts, RA , Peacock's I can't resist putting some more in my post :lol: Who Knows how long we'll be seeing them now it's September. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
D192C538-AF2D-4B2B-B2AC-1D32DD200ACD.jpeg
D3A1D7D3-7E5A-4748-8C8F-AA2495BFF835.jpeg
0E184D6A-7842-4ED1-AC80-6EAD39CAB5B6.jpeg
EE64BD1F-AA88-411A-A3BB-1DF8C6607BCF.jpeg
B7D7DFF1-1BEF-431F-B98F-BFF5029A3CDC.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely looking Small Tort there Goldie - love the view of its proboscis :D 8) Surprised to see a Peacock - I thought they'd be tucked up in hibernation already :D 8)

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, the Peacocks if any thing have increased here in the last day or two, there were two on my Yellow Buddliea yesterday and I got a shot of one Sunday, yesterday they were too high up in the tree, so they're still making their presence known :D Goldie :D
Attachments
B8B9216C-BB60-4319-B3F9-92B54843553E.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looks like they were making hay while the sun still shone - down here its been almost miserable :roll: Luckily I've been at work so it hasn't mattered :wink: :lol: Still it might turn nice for the weekend yet...

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You look to be seeing plenty of vanessids up there, Goldie, and the Peacocks in particular are enviable. I think I've only seen one since I returned from Spain on 5th August. :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some great butterflies from your garden Goldie :D

I was away for most of last week and the week before was horrible wit hlots of wind and rain, so I need to get out and see what (if anything) is still left around here.

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

My envy for your Small Tortoiseshells continues, Goldie. I last saw one down here on 11th July... :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Peacocks disappeared a bit later, but haven't been around for weeks either.

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everybody for your post, i've been busy here, I put my Bungalow up for sale, after being with my family for a fortnight in Kent (it was like being out of jail :D) I realised in some situations it's better to be closer to family ,especially has time moves on :D So I've been kept busy, then Bolton went into lock down again, not as bad as before but bad enough, some folks don't realise the danger, so we all suffer. Any way enough said :roll:

I've been seeing loads of Butterflies, mostly Small Tort's and Red Admirals so I was surprised yesterday when I found a Comma and a Speckled Wood on my Autumn Glory :D The Comma seemed very fresh the green markings on the outer wings really standing out. It was back today :D
Also the Small Whites have been up to their usual selves, either trying to mate and not being too successful in some cases :D

The weather has been great these last few days, hope fully it'll keep it up :D Goldie :D
Attachments
E0E29418-F824-4974-95E1-F2269FBBFA2A.jpeg
AA154A50-4543-415C-B4C5-227555E407D9.jpeg
6708DF07-8503-4085-B6E9-4FEB7FABE22A.jpeg
03AF3829-DFFA-4A18-A6EB-D75FF2AB2749.jpeg
9B5D488C-D18C-4629-B6CE-85F9BD917881.jpeg
0368B34D-EA5C-4211-B31E-A511AB0AA7B9.jpeg
424538DC-01A7-4FA6-A505-F02342D844FF.jpeg
6719561C-BC98-4582-BB42-BC7872FC9A5C.jpeg
9CB01CE0-F00B-4DFC-BFAB-F77C37445A58.jpeg
FF7CACF9-4E54-4CB1-B9A8-D0AB221FA23A.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great news to hear that you'll eventually be on the move Goldie - I hear the Grizzlies are looking forward to it and have started organising a welcoming committee :wink: :D A lovely set of shots - especially like the way you've caught the greeny underside markings of the Comma - subtle and beautiful :D

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Wurzel, the sun was just right for that shot :D
I'll miss my garden here but then I'll be in the Garden of England, hope fully wading through Grizzlies, :lol: things have gone slow this week so far and Bolton is so quiet it's scary, we just have to grin and get on with it :) Goldie :D
jenks

Post by jenks »

Good luck with your move. Being close to family in these times must surely be a good thing. And just think, next year you can go searching for Long tailed Blues !
I`ve been out birding and butterflying since travel restrictions were lifted here in Wales, but on my own, so social distancing was easy. The new wave of Covid -19 cases is worrying and depressing but having been into Cardiff on a couple of occasions and seen the number of people eating and drinking in cafes and bars I`m not surprised. It could almost be a joke, except that it has serious consequences. "How many people is it possible to sit around a table eating and drinking whilst allegedly observing social distancing rules ? 30, 50, 100, 1000, 10,000 ? ". Absolutely crazy. Since the restrictions were lifted in July when I`ve been out I`ve taken a flask and a muffin/ doughnut/ and a bar of chocolate with me. Question; why does coffee taste OK from a flask but not tea ?
Anyway, stay safe and I hope your move down south goes well.

Jenks.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good luck with your move, Goldie. Your new home should offer more butterfly variety,
but you may have to say goodbye to the Small Tortoiseshells. Hopefully there are more
in Kent than in East Sussex. Maybe those on here with knowledge of Kent will be able
to point you to some good sites for butterflies. I don't get over that way very often.

Good luck again and keep well,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:44 pm Good luck with your move, Goldie. Your new home should offer more butterfly variety, but you may have to say goodbye to the Small Tortoiseshells.
Yes, Trevor, that is undoubtedly true.

That said, Goldie, the compensations outweigh the losses. I moved from the north (near Manchester) to south Wales in 2008 and was within striking range of double figure numbers of species that I wouldn't have been able to easily find in NW England, e.g. Small Blue, Marbled White, High Brown/Marsh Fritillary, Silver Studded Blue, Brown Hairstreak & Duke of Burgundy.

I wish you the best of luck with your impending move. I'm sure you're doing the right thing and that it will enrich your life.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many , Many, thank's everyone, I've had a lot of people looking but I don't think they've liked big Gardens up to now :lol: I'm a big believer in, " what will be, will be" you all know what I mean :D I'm happy here but it's time to move on :D Hope fully the right person will come along :D

I've an Idea where I want to settle in Kent and it happens to be near a popular site for Butterflies so roll on :lol: :lol: Goldie :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Just catching up on your diary, good luck with the move :). Some great shots from your garden, I'll miss seeing oodles of Small Torts but I'm sure they'll be replaced with oodles of other species. Keep an eye on the Small Whites down in Kent, the Southern Small White is just over the channel in Calais itching to colonize us. Make sure you plant lots of candytuft in your new garden, that's a favourite foodplant for them :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”