Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:48 pm...At 3.15 pm today (15 April) I made a brief stop for a vape at Beach Green in Shoreham, while delivering groceries for Tesco. I immediately noticed a large butterfly heading towards me, over an open area of green space. As it passed me, now only a couple of metres away, I realised that it was a Large Tortoiseshell!
Excellent sighting, Neil! Who said vaping was bad for you? :)
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brighton Blues Festival (Part 1) 9.9.20

It's been a long while since I last posted, so I'll take a retrospective look at my butterfly year when the season finally draws to a close. I've been very busy juggling my work as a Tesco driver with starting a new business as a freelance ecologist and wildlife guide (too busy to keep my diary up-to-date), but there's plenty of exciting news to catch up on. I'm pleased to say that I'm now in a position to continue my work with species such as Pearl-bordered Fritillary and Duke of Burgundy, by building further on my relationship with the South Downs National Park Authority and local landowners. Both species had exceptionally good seasons in Sussex.

But I'll start with the here and now, where increasingly familiar events have unfolded on the outskirts of Brighton. I spent a wonderful day amongst the Long-tailed Blues at Whitehawk Hill on Wednesday (9 September), in the company of a large number of visitors from far and wide. This was also a chance to catch up with many friends who I haven't seen for a while, making the day even more enjoyable. It was also nice to meet a few enthusiasts for the first time. I think everyone went home happy!

Although difficult to count, I ended up being convinced that there was a minimum of 11 individual LTBs present, and quite probably more. On several occasions we saw bundles of 5 males in combat, with clashes of 2, 3 or 4 being commonplace, often spiralling up to great heights. There was a clearly a mix of late-wave primary immigrants (in various states of disrepair) and at least 3 Sussex-born males in pristine condition. Two Sussex-born females were also present, more of which later.
UKB LTB female (1) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB female (2) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB female (4) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB male (2) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB male (1) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB male (3) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB female (3) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brighton Blues Festival (Part 2) 9.9.20

The female in my last post (which had been photographed the previous day, by Ben Greenaway) was never seen again, apparently disappearing around midday. However, in the mid afternoon I saw two Long-tailed Blues involved in a pursuit which looked rather different to the usual male-on-male chases; I immediately suspected that a female was involved. She crash-landed and appeared to be rejecting the male's advances, rapidly quivering her wings and dropping into the undergrowth. I called to Max Anderson, who was standing closeby, and he was in video mode within a split-second.

The much larger male didn't understand the word 'no' and what followed appeared brutal, to say the least. He tried to clasp her, unsuccessfully, several times, before finally locking-on and lifting her off the leaf. It was about ten minutes before she finally stopped struggling and the pair settled down to a prolonged coupling.

As in previous years (2013, 2015, 2019), Sussex/UK-born females are observed mating, but there is, as yet, no evidence of egg-laying in this brood; I believe the gravid females fly south. There appears to be much confusion on social media, and in conversation, about the status and behaviour of LTB in the UK: "are they permanently resident on some sites here?" (i.e. can they survive our winters?) ... no; "will they go on to produce another brood?" ... no, unless new evidence suggests otherwise. Reverse migration will be triggered by day-length, rather than temperature, so an Indian Summer won't tempt them to lay eggs here, although we know that the males will hang around (often until the bitter end), hoping to intercept virgin females. All of the evidence we had at the time, based on a very large body of data, is summarised in The Butterflies of Sussex (pp. 261-265) and I've seen nothing since which breaks from the pattern described.

Hopefully, they'll be many more to come, both here and on the better-known sites further afield.
UKB LTB mating sequence (1) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB mating sequence (2) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB mating sequence (3) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB mating sequence (4) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB pair (1) Whitehawk Hill 9.9.20.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great stuff, Neil, especially those females. :mrgreen:
A certain law says the females appear the day after my last visit.
I don't think LTB's have ever been so easy to find, or so plentiful as they have been recently.
Let's hope the weather holds, not like last year when it turned for the worse just as fresh
specimens started to emerge. Quality shots as usual.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.

PS. Posted the above before you posted the mating pair, so another :mrgreen: is due!.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of reports Neil :mrgreen: - really looking forward to your retrospective :D What with climate change happening how much longer would you guesstimate before the LTB is a permanent species in the UK? They seem to have set up a pattern of migrating here and conditions can't be too dissimilar now to what they experience on the continent so I'm assuming (and I know that's a dangerous thing to do :wink: )that eventually our winters will reach a similar meteorological 'standard' as where they're currently found on the continent and so they will be able to survive the winter?

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Good to see you back, Neil.

Had you not been latched onto this latest LTB theatre I'd have been extremely worried about your welfare!! :)

Good to see another 'outbreak' in the UK, something that is becoming ever more common.

Great images as usual and I'll look forward to reading your retrospective account of the season in due course.

All the best.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Welcome back from me too. Until the last few days, I had no idea that LTB’s had arrived in GB this year.

Let’s hope for better autumn weather this year, so the adults can continue to emerge.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Trevor. Today was even better; in fact it was one of my top ten butterflying days in 50 years of the chase! Non-stop butterfly sex and violence.

Thanks, Wurzel. LTB can only survive year-round in the Mediterranean belt of Europe, although this zone of permanent residency is clearly moving north as the result of climate warming (hence its annual forays north are now regularly reaching our South Coast). However, the degree of global warming required to make our own climate suitable for the species year-round would probably mean that we, as a species, was seriously considering vacating the planet! LTB has no diapause strategy, so breeds continually as it travels, in a manner not dissimilar to the Painted Lady. It can't survive (in the larval stage) temperatures below c.4 deg, so the talk currently rife on social media, about these colonies being permanent in the UK, fails to recognise the basic autecology of the species. Exciting as it is to see LTB in the UK, the phenomenon does rather highlight the climate crisis we're facing.

Thanks, David. I'm on the case. :wink:

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Mark. Get there if you can ... ASAP.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brighton Blues Festival (Part 3) 10.9.20

By Thursday, a minimum of 15 Long-tailed Blues were flying at Whitehawk Hill, with an increasing proportion being fresh, Sussex-born males. Only one female was seen, this being the one which was unceremoniously mated the previous today. She apparently disappeared around midday, having fed throughout the morning.

Some of the first Sussex-born specimens were already showing signs of wear and tear (LTBs typically lose their shine quite rapidly) and the late-wave primary immigrants were clearly running out of steam, with fewer now being seen.

Again, lots of visitors, and lots of smiling faces.
UKB LTB male (1) Whitehawk Hill 10.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB male (2) Whitehawk Hill 10.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB male (3) Whitehawk Hill 10.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB female, Whitehawk Hill 10.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB male (4) Whitehawk Hill 10.9.20.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Climate change could be responsible for the dearth of Small Tortoiseshells in the south.
Today I felt really lucky when I was able to photograph my 5th East Sussex ST of the year.
Yet from the Midlands northwards they seem to be doing well.
When I was a boy they were an everyday sight nectaring on French Marigolds in our
Godalming garden.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful photos. Really pleased your diary is back
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Just catching up ... as others have said, good to see your diary back up and running, Neil! I really enjoy reading about your thoughts on egg-laying, reverse migration, voltinism etc.! Top stuff.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Trevor. I have little doubt that climate change is behind the demise of the Small Tortoiseshell in southern England. I've posted on this topic before, but here's the raw data which shows how the phenology of the Small Tortoiseshell has been affected, to an unprecedented extent amongst the Sussex butterfly fauna, by climate change over just a 20-year period. I believe that this has caused some changes in its behaviour and, unfortunately, some very big problems for the species.
Small Tortoiseshell phenology change in Sussex  over a 20 year period.jpg
Thanks, Katrina and Pete. Plenty more to come on Long-tailed Blue. :D

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brighton Blues Festival (Part 4) 11.9.20

The situation at Whitehawk Hill didn't change much on Friday, with a temporary status quo being established. There were still an estimated 15 individuals flying and I saw no females. Again, it was good to catch up with many familiar faces and visitors from far and wide.

I spent most of the day away from the epicentre of activity, hoping for a repeat performance of courtship and mating in one of the satellite leks, around a small patch of scrub. This didn't materialise, but I did have fun training a territorial male to land on my sweaty 2-metre pole; not words often read on a family-friendly website!

However, this was the 'calm before the storm' and Sunday provided one of the most exciting days of the 2020 butterfly season.
UKB LTB male (1) Whitehawk Hill 12.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB male (2) Whitehawk Hill 12.9.20.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brighton Blues Festival (Part 5) 13.9.20

Sunday morning proved to be 'business as usual' at Whitehawk Hill, but in the early afternoon, after the majority of visitors had dissipated, the butterfly action stepped up a couple of gears; there had been a major emergence of Long-tailed Blues that morning and they were now taking to the air. By mid-afternoon there were at least 20 individuals (probably 25) flying, including a significant number of virgin females, which were relentlessly hunted down by fresh, Sussex-born males.

Over just a couple of hours, in just one small area, three courtships and pairings were observed. I suspect that plenty more went unnoticed; it was difficult enough to observe and record what was going on with these amorous couples, much of it simultaneously.

The pattern of courtship that Max Anderson and I observed on 9 September (between a late wave immigrant male and Sussex-born female) was repeated on each occasion (this time between exclusively Sussex-born insects), with the females playing 'hard to get' and at first seeming to vigorously reject the male's advances. The females fly away from the males, in short 'hops', then flutter their wings rapidly while dropping deep into undergrowth, or apparently trying to hide below leaves. The males must pursue them with equal vigour and it takes several attempts for the male to latch onto the female with his oversized claspers. It is tempting to suggest that this ritual is designed to test the male's reproductive 'fitness'.

Mating occurs for approximately 45 minutes in the heat, but may last for two hours (or more) if the weather cools significantly. When the female does decide to uncouple, the process appears difficult to achieve (those claspers are strong!). There is much fidgeting, kicking and wing-quivering by the female, and she often takes short flights with the male in-tow, until separation is achieved.

It is interesting to observe what then happens to the females, which immediately begin a phase of frenetic nectaring. These individuals are often seen doing the same, the following morning, but, assuming reasonable weather, they are then never seen/photographed again. The females apparently disappear from the site around, or soon after, midday. Whereas the UK-born males will hang around, and behave in a colonial manner, gradually deteriorating in condition, the females will not. This is the pattern I've observed consistently over the eight years I've been studying the Long-tailed Blue on British soil (across Sussex and Kent).

This is one of the many lines of evidence for reverse migration in the species, much of which is summarised in The Butterflies of Sussex (pp. 261-265). Another, of course, is that these females do not lay any eggs on the BLEP plants in Britain, which are now dying off and won't be of any further use to the LTB, at least until the fresh buds and flowers are available to the next wave of migrants in August (occasionally late July) of the following year.
UKB LTB pairing (1) 13.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB pairing (2) 13.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB pairing (4) 13.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB pairing (3) 13.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB female (2) Whitehawk Hill 13.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB female (1) Whitehawk Hill 13.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB male (1) Whitehawk Hill 13.9.20.jpg
UKB LTB male (2) Whitehawk Hill 13.9.20.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Really interesting to read about the mating behaviour and stunning shots as always :D :mrgreen: Thank you for answering my previous question - it's made me look again at the LTB incursions and now instead of elation about possibly (one year) being able to photograph them on UK soil I'm viewing them as an indicator species and starting to see them as harbingers of doom :? :(

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Many thanks for the informative commentary, Neil. Learning about the behaviour of butterflies (especially those many of us are largely unfamiliar with) is extremely helpful.

Lovely accompanying images as ever. :mrgreen:
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Wurzel and David.
Amongst all the Sussex sites, Whitehawk Hill has proven to be the best for studying the behaviour of Long-tailed Blues on British soil. There were still approximately 20 individuals flying today, although they are now widely dispersed.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

A Break From The Blues

On Saturday (19 September) I led my penultimate Knepp Wildland safari of 2020. There's always plenty of interest here throughout the year, whether that be Purple Emperors, Cuckoos, Turtle Doves, Nightingales or the wonderful animals. However, the White Storks, which successfully bred this year, are a firm favourite with the visitors. The Red Deer rut, which involves Knepp's gigantic stags, is next on the hit list.

In the afternoon I visited a private garden in East Sussex, where two gorganus Swallowtail caterpillars were recently spotted on some potted parsley plants. One had already gone walkabout, looking for a pupation site, but I was just in time to see the second.

On the way home I stopped off at the BC Park Corner Heath & Rowland Wood reserves. These reserves have far more to offer than just butterflies, and I found three Adders in just 15 minutes, including a beautiful black example.
UKB White Stork pair, Knepp 19.9.20.jpg
UKB Swallowtail ssp. gorganus larva, East Sussex (1) 19.9.20.jpg
UKB Swallowtail ssp. gorganus larva, East Sussex (2) 19.9.20.jpg
UKB PCH Black Adder (1) 19.9.20.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”