Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. Heading down tomorrow (Sunday) until Friday, just Jane and myself in a B&B this time so not too mad...that is if wandering around hillsides looking for butterflies can be classed as sane :wink: :lol:

Thanks David. By the time I get back from Dorset, there should be a different selection starting to turn up, depending on the weather of course.

Friday 28th August.

Not much to report for the rest of this week in the way of butterflies apart from the odd Specklie and passing white during very brief intervals in the awful weather.

This morning (Friday) I had a wander around Blythe Valley Park and despite it being a very dull and windy morning with a few spits of light rain I managed to see a few Meadow Browns and singles of Speckled Wood, Green-veined White and a really tatty male Common Blue.
Nothing that tempted me to take the camera out of it's bag though.

I also noted a couple of large flocks of Goldfinches, a few Buzzards and a couple of 'families' of Green Woodpeckers, all of which managed to stay too far away for photos.

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Dorset - August 30th to September 4th Part 1.

Fontmell Down - Sunday 30th August.

Our fourth (and final) planned trip for this year but the second to actually take place and as has become traditional for us, Jane and myself were booked for a few days down in Dorset, this time returning to the farmhouse B&B not far from Corfe Castle that we had stayed at last year.

With all day to get down there, we had arranged to first head to Bristol to visit our youngest son Danny and his girlfriend. After a coffee and a catch-up we then continued on our way and with plenty of time still in hand had decided to stop off at Fontmell Down so that I could hopefully catch up with Silver-spotted Skipper(s). I had not yet seen these this year and this would be my only chance, although I was aware that it was getting on in their flight period and the horrendous weather that had recently clobbered much of the country well have finished them off.

Last year we had also stopped here on what I remember was a warm and sunny afternoon and found the car park rammed, so I was wondering how busy it would be today. On arrival we found a few empty spaces, no doubt due to the weather which was fairly cloudy with a cool breeze. I headed off along the path and down the slope onto the down and immediately saw a few Meadow Browns closely followed by a couple of Small Heath. Going through the gate onto the reserve proper, a flash of electric blue drew my attention to a male Adonis Blue, my first this year.
Adonis Blue - Fontmell Down 30.08.2020
During the hour that I spent here, the clouds thinned a couple of times to let a bit of sun through and I reckon I saw 40 to 50 Adonis Blues including maybe a dozen females. The condition of all these varied considerably with many looking like they had been caught in the the previous bad weather, but there were still some nice condition ones to be found.
Anyway, I was hoping to see more Adonis Blues over the next few days and I was more on the lookout for Silver-spotted Skippers here. In the end I reckon I saw 4 different females and a couple of males, all showing various degrees of wear and damage with the males looking particularly battered. Still, I was pleased with these as they were likely to be the only ones I see this year.
Silver-spotted Skipper female - Fontmell Down 30.08.2020
Silver-spotted Skipper male - Fontmell Down 30.08.2020
Silver-spotted Skipper male - Fontmell Down 30.08.2020
A few Common Blues, lots of Small Whites and a couple of Large Whites were also seen before I headed back up to rejoin Jane and continue on our way.

To be continued,

Neil.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Glad to see you got your Silver Spotted Skippers, Neil.

Numbers never seem to build at Fontmell, even in peak season, I’ve never had more than 10 to 15 per visit. But this colony persists from year to year, and all sightings are very welcome.

And it is an excellent Adonis Blue site, and very scenic too.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Mark. I only discovered Fontmell Down last year and up until then had not realised how close we had been passing it on our trips to Dorset. Even better, this year I realised that by taking the 'alternative' route to Blandford from Shaftsbury, we would actually be going right past so stopping off was a no brainer.

Dorset - August 30th to September 4th Part 2.

Adonis Blues.

One of my targets for our late season trips to Dorset is to see Adonis Blues. I usually miss the first brood as they emerge around the same time as so many other species and I am often looking elsewhere at the time, although of course this year the travel restrictions also came into play. The second brood in Dorset usually reach their peak in early September and have always provided a good reason to spend a few days down there, along with a good supporting cast of butterflies and other attractions.

I have already mentioned the Adonis Blues seen at Fontmell Down when we stopped there on the way down and the next few days produced varying numbers at all the usual sites.

Osmington.

The first full day down there was Bank Holiday Monday (31st August) and we had already decided that we would keep away from the more 'touristy' areas. A reasonably pleasant morning with 50/50 cloud and sun and a temperature varying from around 16 to about 19 degrees when the sun was out, tempted me to drive around to Osmington for a walk up the bridle path to White Horse Hill. This has always proved to be a good spot for butterflies in the past, although it has to be said that last year a persistent cold wind had kept numbers down a bit. Conditions were not dissimilar this time with a cool breeze once again being felt once you came out of the shelter of the lower path.
I spent around an hour and a half here this morning and saw a couple of dozen Adonis Blues, similar to last years numbers and still well down on the hundreds that could be seen here just a few year ago. The cool breeze meant that I had to work the slope for them but the occasional sunny spell would quickly bring them out from their hiding places down in the grass. The condition of the males varied considerably with many of them showing considerable wear, probably from the high winds and heavy rain just prior to our going down. Nevertheless, there were some nice fresh looking examples to be found that would have emerged more recently.
Adonis Blue - Osmington 31.08.2020
Adonis Blue - Osmington 31.08.2020
A few females were seen, all of which looked to be in much better condition.
Adonis Blue female - Osmington 31.08.2020
Adonis Blue female - Osmington 31.08.2020
I also returned to Osmington on the morning of the Wednesday (2nd September) in similar conditions and with much the same results.
Adonis Blue female - Osmington 02.09.2020
Adonis Blue female - Osmington 02.09.2020

Purbeck Ridge west of Church Knowle.

Last year I had visited Stonehill Down, a Dorset Wildlife Trust reserve up on the Purbeck Ridge not far from our B&B, where I had found a small colony of Adonis Blue. Later on Monday afternoon I went up to have a look and found it to have been very heavily grazed and apart from a scattering of Meadow Browns and Small Heath and a couple of G.V. Whites along the lower hedgerow, the site was practically devoid of butterflies. I didn't waste much time here but set off for a wander back along the ridge in the direction of Church Knowle. There is some likely looking habitat along here but with much of the path crossing through farmland a lot of it also heavily grazed. I remember thinking last year that Adonis Blues could probably be found scattered all along the Purbeck Ridge and was therefore pleased to find further confirmation this afternoon with a couple of males spotted along here.
The Purbeck Ridge behind Church Knowle, view from the lane outside our B&B.
The Purbeck Ridge behind Church Knowle, view from the lane outside our B&B.
Adonis Blue - just west of Church Knowle 31.08.2020
Adonis Blue - just west of Church Knowle 31.08.2020

Durlston Country Park.

Tuesday (1st September) looked to be the warmest day of the week and we decided to head for Durlston County Park first so that Jane could have a wander around the better paths there. We arrived at around 10.00am under a clear blue sky and warm sun but at first saw very few butterflies, just a scattering of Meadow Browns and Small Whites in the upper meadows. As Jane continued along towards the lighthouse, I diverted down the gully and found where the butterflies were all hiding. In a fairly short space of time, just long enough to wander down to the bottom of the gully and back up, I reckon I saw 25+ Adonis Blue males, all of them in the higher half of the gully. Although not exactly high numbers, this was double what I had seen here last year and as at Osmington, their condition varied from well worn to nearly fresh.
Adonis Blue - Durlston Country Park 01.09.2020
Just one female was seen here, although given a bit longer I may well have found more.
Adonis Blue female - Durlston Country Park 01.09.2020
Adonis Blue female - Durlston Country Park 01.09.2020
Some may remember that I posted some photos last year showing how dry it was here compared with earlier years. This year, despite the more recent wet weather, it still looked practically the same as last year, no doubt due to the hot and dry first half to the year.
View up the gully at Durston 01.09.2020
View up the gully at Durston 01.09.2020

Ballard Down.

After spending the morning at Durlston, we popped into Swanage for a coffee and then continued out the other side to the lay by at Ulwell so that I could have a look on Ballard Down. I only spent about 45 minutes here and during that time saw around a dozen Adonis Blues, mostly males in a mix of conditions and a couple of nice fresh females.
Adonis Blue - Ballard Down 01.09.2020
Adonis Blue - Ballard Down 01.09.2020
Adonis Blue male - Ballard Down 01.09.2020
Adonis Blue male - Ballard Down 01.09.2020
Adonis Blue female - Ballard Down 01.09.2020

Bindon Hill.

The final site that I visited for butterflies was Bindon Hill at Lulworth, on the afternoon of the Wednesday (2nd September). It had turned quite cloudy and with a cool breeze up on the hill I concentrated on the more sheltered lower part of the slopes around where the old blocked off path comes out. At first I didn't see much but a thinning of the cloud allowed the sun through to warm things up for about twenty minutes and butterflies started appearing around me. These included half a dozen male Adonis Blues plus a couple of females. As at everywhere else I had seen them, the males were in a mix of conditions with the females looking fresh or nearly so.
Adonis Blue - Bindon Hill 02.09.2020
Adonis Blue - Bindon Hill 02.09.2020
Adonis Blue female - Bindon Hill 02.09.2020
Adonis Blue female - Bindon Hill 02.09.2020
If the weather had held, I would probably have braved the walk over to Durdle Door, but a thick grey overcast settled in for the rest of the afternoon so we went and had a cream tea instead.

My overall impression at most sites was that Adonis Blue numbers were similar to last year, apart from at Durlston where they were definitely higher, albeit still not in the kind of numbers that could be seen there just a few years ago. The cool, breezy conditions on the Monday and Wednesday made it a bit of work to find them and they would often be settled with wings closed. Conversely, Tuesday was warm and sunny all day which meant that they were often settling and closing up immediately on landing.
In previous years I have noticed that Durlston and Ballard Down seem to be slightly earlier sites than those at Lulworth, Bindon Hill, Durdle Door and Osmington with a higher proportion of worn individuals. This year, all the sites I visited seemed to be around the same level with the butterflies being in a very similar proportion of conditions, all varying from well worn to nice and fresh.

I have concentrated on the Adonis Blues in this report but of course there were also other butterflies at all of the sites visited...

To be continued,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looks like you had a cracking time there Neil - a fantastic collection of shots :D :mrgreen: Looking forward to the other reports that are following :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. Yes, another cracking trip to your homeland. Very much like last year, most butterfly numbers were down on what they were a few years back but still plenty of interest to be found.

Dorset - August 30th to September 4th Part 3.

Small Coppers appeared at all the sites visited with some nice fresh examples seen so I think that they deserve their own report.

This is a species that I rarely see in large numbers at any one site, usually appearing in ones and twos on each occasion so to see at least half a dozen at Osmington on the Monday (31st August) morning was especially pleasing.
Small Copper - Osmington 31.08.2020
Small Copper female - Osmington 31.08.2020
Small Copper female - Osmington 31.08.2020
I saw another four there on the Wednesday (2nd September) morning. By comparing photos I confirmed that they were all different individuals to those seen on Monday and included a particularly attractive fresh female with a nice set of blue spots.
Small Copper - Osmington 02.09.2020
Small Copper female - Osmington 02.09.2020
I saw a couple later on the Monday afternoon when I walked along the Purbeck Ridge to the west of Church Knowle.
Small Copper - Purbeck Ridge west of Church Knowle 31.08.2020
Small Copper - Purbeck Ridge west of Church Knowle 31.08.2020
Durlston produced just one on the Tuesday morning, a male that was hyperactive in the warm sun and didn't sit still for longer than a second or so before chasing off whatever came too close to him.

There were half a dozen at Ballard Down on the Tuesday afternoon with these also being very active in the warm and sunny conditions on that day.
Small Copper - Ballard Down 01.09.2020
Small Copper - Ballard Down 01.09.2020
Bindon Hill produced at least four different individuals on the Wednesday afternoon when the cooler and cloudier conditions made them more amenable to sitting still for some photos. In fact, at one point I even spotted two males sharing the same flower head without squabbling.
Small Coppers - Bindon Hill 02.09.2020
Small Coppers - Bindon Hill 02.09.2020
Small Copper - Bindon Hill 02.09.2020
It is always a delight to see these characterful little butterflies and especially so when there are a few around.

To be continued,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Superb Adonis Blues and Small Coppers, Neil.
You are in danger of out Hoggering Hoggers ! :lol: . All are very fresh too.
Love the fourth image down, it seems to glow.

Great stuff, stay well,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:27 pm...You are in danger of out Hoggering Hoggers!
Yes. Agree with that (whatever happened to Hoggers? I quite miss his regular Copper hunts).

The Adonis Blues and the Small Coppers are positively radiant, Neil. Some nice variety in the latter as well. :mrgreen:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cu got plenty of Coppers Neil :wink: There are some fabulous specimens in your latest report Neil - a lovely collection of Blue Badgers too :D 8) :mrgreen: They seem to have a good year this year :D

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Trevor. I think I have a log way to go to rival Hoggers and his Small Coppers at Dungeness.

Yes, David, I hope that Hoggers is alright. Not seen him post for a while now.

Cheers Wurzel. Yes, it appears that Small Coppers are having a good year around most parts.

Dorset - August 30th to September 4th Part 4.

As would be expected, Meadow Browns were seen everywhere we went with many still in good condition. Keeping my eye out for any females with additional orange patches on their hindwings, I found a nice example at Osmington.
Meadow Brown female - Osmington 31.08.2020
Meadow Brown female - Osmington 31.08.2020
Small Heaths were also everywhere and particularly numerous on the higher slopes at Osmington.
Small Heath pair - Osmington 31.08.2020
Small Heath pair - Osmington 31.08.2020
Speckled Woods were usually seen in ones and twos along most hedgerows such as the lower part of the path at Osmington or the lower paths at Bindon Hill and Ballard Down. They were also seen along the woodland walks at RSPB Arne when we spent some time there on the Thursday (3rd September) on what was a mostly a cloudy day with just a couple of spells of brightness in the morning.

Just one Wall Brown was seen, a female at Durlston on the Tuesday morning, that was very active in the warm sun and only settled briefly, just long enough for me to get a record shot.
Wall Brown female - Durlston 01.09.2020
Wall Brown female - Durlston 01.09.2020
Anyone who has read this PD over the past few years will know that I have often found one or two Marbled Whites still flying down in Dorset in early September. Sure enough, I found one again this year, a faded example at Osmington on the Monday morning. I saw this same individual again still hanging on when I returned there on Wednesday morning
Marbled White - Osmington 31.08.2020
Marbled White - Osmington 31.08.2020
Another species that appeared at every site I visited was Brown Argus. These were usually seen in small numbers at each site and were mostly well worn and faded, but there were a few around that were in not too bad condition still.
Brown Argus - Osmington 31.08.2020
Brown Argus - Osmington 31.08.2020
Brown Argus - Purbeck Ridge just west of Church Knowle 31.08.2020
Brown Argus - Purbeck Ridge just west of Church Knowle 31.08.2020
Common Blues also appeared everywhere but were mostly well past their best.
Common Blue about to have a squabble with a Brown Argus - Ballard Down 01.09.2020
Common Blue about to have a squabble with a Brown Argus - Ballard Down 01.09.2020
Amongst the fresh looking female Adonis Blues at Osmington I spotted one individual on the Monday morning that was more worn and faded. A closer look showed it to be a female Chalk Hill Blue, the only one seen down there this time with none seen anywhere else.
Chalk Hill blue female - Osmington 31.08.2020
Chalk Hill blue female - Osmington 31.08.2020
A single Holly Blue showed up on my wander along the Purbeck Ridge to the west of Church Knowle on the Monday afternoon.
Holly Blue - Purbeck Ridge just west of Church Knowle 31.08.2020
Holly Blue - Purbeck Ridge just west of Church Knowle 31.08.2020
The three common Whites were all seen with Small Whites being numerous on most days. I paid particular attention to these when they settled on the off chance of one being a Southern Small White but they were all our normal variety.
Small White - Durlston 01.09.2020
Small White - Durlston 01.09.2020
Large Whites were also around in reasonable numbers but I only saw a handful of Green-veined Whites with just one or two turning up at most places.
Large White - Osmington 31.08.2020
Large White - Osmington 31.08.2020
A couple of Brimstones were seen, one on the Monday morning along the first part of the path at Osmington and one in the woodland at RSPB Arne on the Thursday morning.

There were not many Vanessids about this year with just singles of Small Tortoiseshell at Durlston and Comma at Ballard Down although there were a few more Red Admirals around with a few seen on most days.
Red Admiral - RSPB Arne 03.09.2020
Red Admiral - RSPB Arne 03.09.2020
This was the first time I have been in Dorset at this time and failed to see either a Painted Lady or Clouded Yellow. This lack of migrants was also evident in that I also failed to see a Hummingbird Hawk Moth this time.

Including the Silver-spotted Skippers seen on the way down, I saw a total of 18 species this time. Some of these were in reasonable numbers although a few were only seen as single individuals. It has to be said though, that overall numbers were similar to last year, that is, not as high as I would see down here three or four years ago.
I reckon this is mostly down to our erratic weather the past couple of years which have seen long hot and dry periods in the first half of the year which have no doubt dried out some food plants which the early broods have rely on. This year we also had Storm Francis blow across the country the week before we went down and the heavy rains and strong winds that this brought probably didn't help.

As well as the butterflies, there was also some other stuff of interest, so one more report to come to wrap up the remaining random stuff.

To be continued,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Some lovely images there, Neil. I'm glad you had a decent trip away (something few of us can lay claim to in this most extraordinary of years).

Your Marbled White seems really out of place. We lose them here in Wales before July is out, so to see them on the cusp of September is exceptional.

Well done with the mating Small Heaths too. Despite this being a common butterfly, I've only ever seen a coupling pair a handful of times.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David. Yes, the Marbled White doe seem out of place, like you they disappeared around my way weeks ago. I often find one or two still around down there though as you will no doubt remember from my past reports.

Dorset - August 30th to September 4th Part 5.

A selection of random stuff to finish off my series of reports from our trip to Dorset.

With cruise holidays not happening this year due to the virus, what happens to all the ships that are not being used? Well, some of them were anchored in Weymouth Bay whilst we were there with six fairly close together and another one further over towards Portland. There were also a couple more off Bournemouth which could be glimpsed in the distance from the Purbeck Ridge and the higher viewpoints at RSPB Arne. Apparently, the numbers of these large ships have been varying over the summer with up to nine or ten off Weymouth on occasion and have become a bit of a tourist attraction in themselves. The shot below was taken from the road to Ringstead Bay on the Monday afternoon.
Cruise ships in Weymouth Bay 31.08.2020
Cruise ships in Weymouth Bay 31.08.2020
On the Tuesday morning at Durlston, I noticed lots of small pyralid moths fluttering about the short turf towards the higher parts of the gully. They were very active in the warm sun but I managed a couple of photos which enabled me to ID them as Pyrausta despicata, a common moth of chalk and limestone habitats but often overlooked due to it's small size.
Pyrausta despicata - Durlston 01.09.2020
Pyrausta despicata - Durlston 01.09.2020
We often visit RSPB Arne during our trips to Dorset and did so again this time, later on the afternoon of the Tuesday(Sept. 1st) and again on the Thursday (Sept. 3rd) which was a mostly dull and cloudy day and when we spent a lot longer there. Jane can manage the better paths here and we spent some time wandering through the woodland walks and towards Shipstall Beach.
We saw a couple each of Speckled Wood, Brimstone and Red Admiral which I have previously mentioned but one of my favourite aspects of the woods here is the moss that grows on many of the tree roots and rocks and which give this part of the reserve a nice atmospheric character.
Mossy Tree roots - RSPB Arne 03.09.2020
I am not absolutely sure what all the birds are in the shot below, probably mostly Cormorants I think with a few others, but it looks like they can't read.
"What does that sign say?"....
"What does that sign say?"....
Although we have been to Arne a few times in the past I had never seen the Raft Spiders here, mainly due to the fact that we usually spend most of our time on the northern side of the reserve where the paths are better for Jane. On the Thursday, having spent most of the morning there, Jane was getting tired so she said she would go back to the car and read her book for a bit while I carried on wandering around. I headed on to Coombe Heath and found the pond with the wooden viewing platform, which I had read was probably the best place to see Raft Spiders, and after scanning the floating vegetation around the side of the pond found my first Raft Spider.
Raft Spider - RSPB Arne 03.09.2020
Looking carefully around the pond, I spotted a couple more, one a bit further away and another one a bit closer which was in a nice side on position for some decent photos.
I then carried on around the Coombe Heath path to the hide/screen by the channel where I could see a selection of waders including Curlew, Godwits and Greenshanks (I think).
Curlew taking off - RSPB Arne 03.09.2020
Curlew taking off - RSPB Arne 03.09.2020
By now there was a light drizzle and circling back across the exposed top of Coombe Heath was quite blustery but before returning to Jane, I decided to check out the raptor hide. There was one other couple in this hide who told me they had been there about thirty minutes but seen nothing apart from a couple of ducks. As they were telling me this a large bird took off from the reed beds in and flew off away from us, a Marsh Harrier which gave me just enough time to grab a couple of record shots of as it flew off through the drizzle into the distance.
Marsh Harrier - RSPB Arne 03.09.2020
Marsh Harrier - RSPB Arne 03.09.2020
Not long after the Marsh Harrier had disappeared another Large bird appeared. As this one got closer it was apparent that it was larger than the Marsh Harrier and a view through my binoculars confirmed it was an Osprey carrying a fish.
Osprey - RSPB Arne 03.09.2020
The Osprey then circled around in front of us, a bit too far away for decent shots with my 70-300 lens, especially in the dull light and drizzle, but giving good views through my binoculars.
It then dropped down and landed in the top of a tree on the far side of the reserve, again too far away for any decent shots through the drizzle but at least with a tight crop, you can tell what it is.
Osprey in the distance - RSPB Arne 03.09.2020
Osprey in the distance - RSPB Arne 03.09.2020
It stayed there for some time with it's fish and was still there when I left about thirty minutes later to head back to Jane.

That's it from our Dorset trip. Back home since then it has definitely been feeling like autumn is just around the corner although looking at the forecast for next week (if it can be believed), summer may still have a bit left for us yet.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That really was a cracking visit Neil - worth it for the birds let alone the butterflies! I've not seen Marsh Harriers at Arne before - that one looks like a female - I wonder if they've bred? :D Arne is a cracking reserve - when I was a nipper I used get the train from Poole and cycle the rest of the way there form Wareham -don think I'd be able to do that now though :shock: :? :lol: Cormorants are notoriously rebellious, they just don't care :shock: :wink:

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Just catching up with your series of posts from the Dorset coast, Neil. There appear to have been wall-to-wall Adonis Blues, and there were clearly some lovely females among the brilliant males. I particularly like the dark ones with dustings of blue scales - great shots. :) The Small Copper fest was also a terrific set of images! :)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

That looks to be one hell of a reserve for birds, Neil. You've managed to capture some impressive images, especially the curlew taking to the air.

I too saw several cruise liners in Weymouth harbour when I visited Portland in late July. I guess they've got to moor somewhere as they're unlikely to be at sea for some considerable time. Cruises will probably be the last leisure activity that returns to normal post-Covid-19.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. I believe the Marsh Harriers are breeding at Arne, I know they do at Lodmoor and Radipole Lake at Weymouth.

Thanks Dave. Yes, plenty of Adonis Blues, but it has to be said, not as many as I used to see down there a few years ago.

Thanks David. Arne is a great reserve that covers a large area with a mix of different habitats.

Monday 14th September.

Last week was cloudy and quite cool here. I had a couple of wanders down to my local spot at Wagon Lane but only saw a couple of worn Speckled Woods and Small Whites.

As has been the pattern this year, it went to the other extreme on Monday with clear blue skies all day and a warm sun which pushed the temperatures here up to 24 degrees by the afternoon.
This time of year it is around 09.30 before the sun clears the house to shine on the bottom of the garden but as soon as it did a couple of Specklies were up and about.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 14.09.2020
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 14.09.2020
Later in the morning I went around to my Mom's to do a little job for her and whilst there, I had a walk down to her local park for a look. Half a dozen Speckled Woods were fluttering around the usual spots, all looking a bit worse for wear now and all closing up on landing in the warm sun.
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 14.09.2020
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 14.09.2020
A couple of Small Whites were the only other butterflies seen.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love the pose that first Specklie is throwing Neil with thrown forward :D 8) Hopefully there will still be some reasonable weather for the weekend - although I daren't look at the forecast :? :roll:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, Monday was a cracker, Neil. I'm surprised you didn't see more butterflies. It was 23c on the Gower coast; we're lucky to see those kinds of temperatures in mid-July!!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel. That Specklie was certainly making the most of the early sun.

Thanks David. I was not surprised really, this is the time of the year that my season always runs down around here. Mind you, having said that...

Wednesday 16th September.

Small Coppers seem to be having a late flourish around many parts of the country and over the past week or so I have seen reports of good number being seen around the midlands. These don't always have a third brood around my local patch or sometimes they may have just a partial brood...that is, we didn't used to, but the past couple of years have seen a proper third brood around around here and it appears that with climate change this may be a more regular occurrence in the future.

On Wednesday morning, I went to have a look around Blythe Valley Park, this being one of the sites where I had seen some first and second brood earlier in the year. During the hour or so that I spent there I saw half a dozen different individuals, all males in varying states of wear. Four were in one meadow where they were constantly chasing each other about in the warm sun and two more were in a corner of another meadow.
Despite the clear skies and warm sun, the breeze had shifted to come from the east and had a cooler feel to it. This slowed them down occasionally and gave me some photo opportunities before they were off again chasing each other about.
Small Copper - Blythe Valley 16.09.2020
Apart from the Small Coppers, I saw three faded Speckled Wood and a just a couple of Small Whites.

Bye for now and stay safe.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Copper shots Neil 8) That is individual with the damaged hind wing is an interesting looking thing, at first glance it looked like the orange band wasn't properly formed but then I had a closer look and it's got a set of parallel tears - I wonder what caused that, can't be a bird strike as they don't have teeth - Bramble possibly?

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”