CANON MT-24EX MACRO SPEEDLITE

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Ian Pratt

CANON MT-24EX MACRO SPEEDLITE

Post by Ian Pratt »

This is a twin head macro flash and could be good for butterfly photography. Has anyone got one and can they recommend it?
I have a Sigma 150 F2.8 macro - will it fit this or will I need an adapter? Hope someone out there can help.
JKT

Re: CANON MT-24EX MACRO SPEEDLITE

Post by JKT »

You'll need an adapter, which screws on the filter thread. That is readily available and rather cheap. The hole in the adapter is much smaller than the outer lens in the Sigma, so you will be forced to use small apertures. I also doubt that automatic exposure will work, but ETTL-II should. In general, the flash works even though many prefer to use normal flash on a bracket. Personally I feel it works better with shorter macro lenses, but I haven't really used it with the long one so...
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Many thanks.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

As JKT has hinted at, I think you have a fundamental incompatibility here. That is, the MT 24 EX (and the MR 14EX ring flash that I happen to have), are designed for a 58mm lens, such as the Canon 100mm macro, or Sigma 105mm. The 150mm Sigma is a 72mm lens. I can only suggest you contact Sigma (or Canon!) to get their advice. Or a dedicated photography forum such as www.dpreview.com, which is excellent.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
JKT

Post by JKT »

For this kind of question I'd prefer http://www.fredmiranda.com/, but that's just an opinion.

Keeping in mind that Canon also has 180/3.5 L with the same filter thread, the combination is not quite that impossible. The adapter is from Canon (Macro Lite Adapter 72C).
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

I'm in process of buying the Sigma 150mm macro so it's good to know of the incompatibility issue between the MT24EX and this lens. I know lots of people say - 'don't use flash' - but in our sunless country it's not easy. Also, i like to see fill in - it adds that je ne sais quoi, eg the catch light on some insect eyes / wings - esp dragonflies.

Can other flash users recommend their flash set up (guns/brackets etc) - im using canon EOS400D.

Thank you
Mark

Return to “Photography”