Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant set of Moffs Neil 8) :mrgreen: The one that stands out for me is the Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (and not just for the mouthful of a name :shock: :lol: ) because the way the light hits it reminds me of the carapace of some of the Shield bugs :D 8)
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! That's probably your finest ever moth post, Neil, and there is plenty of competition for that!!

The Catoptria pinella is particularly beautiful, and good to see how productive your lures continue to be.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Many thanks for your comments Allan, Pauline, Wurzel and David. Very much appreciated as always and apologies for the delayed reply, I have been down in Cornwall for the past week with intermittent WiFi that was usually commandeered by my daughter or grand kids when it was working.

Well done Allan with the Cryptic/dark Fern, I had seen the reports earlier in the year, fascinating stuff.

The Lizard – July 31st to August 7th Part 1.

Last Friday (July 31st), Jane and myself set out for Cornwall with our daughter Sarah and the grand-kids, Frankie and Chloe, for a weeks holiday staying at Kennack Sands on The Lizard. This was the first of our booked trips this year that was actually going to happen with two previous trips (to Cornwall in may and Dorset in June) being cancelled due to the pandemic. It was also the first chance this year for Sarah and the kids to have a break as her partner is in the Army and currently on deployment down in the Falklands.

I must admit that I was a bit nervous of what we would find down there this time, with media reports painting a picture of packed tourist spots. The journey down on the Friday did little to dispel this with traffic queues and stop start traffic from well before Bristol all the way down to the Weston-super-Mare turn off, after which the traffic mysteriously thinned out and we made good progress for the rest of the journey.
As it happened, during the week, we found the Lizard itself to be no more crowded than at any other times we have been there in early August and given that this is peak holiday season, some parts were actually less crowded than we have experienced on previous visits.

The Friday we had travelled down was really warm with the car display showing temperatures in the mid thirties (god bless air con systems in cars)...until we reached Cornwall when we hit cloud and showers of rain and the temperature dropped down to 18-19 degrees. On the whole however, we enjoyed some good weather down there with Saturday to Tuesday being especially pleasant with plenty of warm sun and white summer clouds drifting across the sky. Wednesday was cloudier and we had some rain later in the afternoon and Thursday saw a lot of low cloud and sea mist rolling in until later in the afternoon.

This was primarily a family holiday and the timing had been determined earlier in the year, before the pandemic reared its head, and the booking made to accommodate some of my fixed holidays from work and the kids from school, plus Sarah works as a support teacher which means she also has school holidays. In the event, none of this mattered as we were all off work or school anyway due to the virus.
I was confident that I would be able to squeeze in some butterflying and I did indeed enjoy some walks along the paths around Kennack Sands and towards Cadgwith Cove. Sarah and myself also enjoyed a walk from Lizard Point to Kynance Cove on the Monday morning whilst Jane looked after the kids.

I managed to see 22 species of butterfly, some in large numbers and some in just ones and twos, including everything I would expect to see down there at this time of year. I have lots of photos to sort through so in my usual fashion these will be posted in due course over the next few days but in the meantime here are a few general shots.
Kennack Sands 01.08.2020
Kennack Sands 01.08.2020
Looking towards Kennack Sands from near Carleon Cove 01.08.2020
Looking towards Kennack Sands from near Carleon Cove 01.08.2020
Near to Lizard Point 02.08.2020
Near to Lizard Point 02.08.2020
Pentreath Beach south of Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Pentreath Beach south of Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Frankie and Chloe - Kennack Sands 02.08.02020
Frankie and Chloe - Kennack Sands 02.08.02020
Sarah, Frankie and Chloe - Lizard Point 03.08.2020
Sarah, Frankie and Chloe - Lizard Point 03.08.2020
To be continued...

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to hear that you managed to get one trip away Neil :D Looking forward to finding out what you were able to fit in amid the family time :D

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. It was great to get away from the midlands for the first time this year :D

The Lizard – July 31st to August 7th Part 2.

Second Brood Small Pearls.

Being on The Lizard in early August meant that one of the butterfly highlights that I was hoping to see would be second brood Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. This species is increasingly producing a partial second brood in other parts of its range but I believe that Cornwall is still the only area that produces a regular second brood, usually from the end of July or early August.

It didn't take me long to find the first one, as on the Saturday morning (August 1st), whilst Jane and Sarah were getting the kids ready for a morning on the beach at Kennack Sands, I took a short walk along the coast path to Carleon Cove at Poltesco. This is a very picturesque little cove with the ruined remains of a serpentine processing factory and a freshwater pool behind a pebble beach. Of more interest to me was the vegetation that has taken over some of the ruins which includes stands of bracken and lots of clumps of valerian which attract a selection of butterflies, including this morning, a couple of fresh looking male Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries.
Freshwater pool behind the beach at Carleon Cove - 01.08.2020
Freshwater pool behind the beach at Carleon Cove - 01.08.2020
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Carleon Cove 01.08.2020
I returned to this spot later in the afternoon when I went a bit further along the path, as I also did a couple of times during the week and each time I saw a couple of SPBFs with four different individuals identified on my various visits to this spot.
On my Saturday afternoon walk, I carried on past Carleon Cove to Enys Head which has proved productive for a number of species in the past including Small Pearls. Once again it came up trumps with half a dozen fresh SPBFs seen on the grassy slope of the head itself and a couple more in the stands of bracken between the path and the head.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Enys Head 01.08.2020
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Enys Head 01.08.2020
This is another spot that I returned to a couple of times during the week, usually later in the afternoon after we had been out somewhere and the others were chilling out back at the caravan.
Grassy slope at Enys Head - 03.08.2020
Grassy slope at Enys Head - 03.08.2020
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Enys Head 06.08.2020
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Enys Head 06.08.2020

On the Sunday morning Jane offered to look after the kids for a couple of hours while Sarah and myself went for a walk from Lizard Point to Kynance Cove. Sarah is more into landscape photography and after parking up on the green in Lizard village we both wandered off to do our separate things for a while and arranged to meet at the top of the undercliff area to the south of Kynance Cove before walking back. This spot has proved productive for Small Pearls in the past and clambering down the slope I soon saw some bright orange butterflies skimming low above the vegetation. I reckon that during the 45 minutes or so I spent down there that I saw maybe half a dozen, all fresh looking males.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
I have seen higher numbers in this spot before but, given the fresh condition of most of the males and the fact I didn't see any females, I believe that it was still early in their emergence and if I had returned later in the week numbers would have been higher. As it was I didn't get a chance to come back but I did see a couple of females elsewhere.

Back in August 2017, during a previous family holiday here, I had found a few SPBFs behind the beach at Kennack Sands, although I failed to find any here during a fairly brief visit in August 2019 when Jane and myself stayed in a B&B in Lizard Village. Staying at Kennack Sands again this year gave me time for a better look and I succeeded in finding a couple, once again fresh males, in the area of bracken between the beach and the coast path.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Kennack Sands 03.08.2020
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Kennack Sands 03.08.2020
As well as those in the spots already mentioned, I also found a few scattered about along the coast path between Kennack Sands and Enys Head. There is a lot of likely looking habitat along here although much of it is inaccessible being on steep slopes between cliffs.
Coast path looking north between Poltesco and Kennack Sands 01.08.2020
Coast path looking north between Poltesco and Kennack Sands 01.08.2020
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Between Kennack Sands and Poltesco 03.08.2020
The SPBFs that I have mentioned and posted so far have all been fresh males and these did make up the majority of the individuals that I saw. I did see a couple of females, both as it happened on Enys Head. The first one was on the afternoon of the Saturday (1st Aug.) and looked like she had just emerged that day.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary female - Enys Head 01.08.2020
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary female - Enys Head 01.08.2020
The second female also looked brand new and was spotted late on the afternoon of the Thursday (6th Aug.) when it brightened up a bit after a lot of sea mist and drizzle earlier in the day.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary female - Enys Head 06.08.2020
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary female - Enys Head 06.08.2020
All in all, I reckon I saw a conservative estimate of 30 to 35 individual SPBFs during the week, allowing for repeat sightings of some which I recognised when I paid return visits to some spots. Most of them were to the south of Kennack Sands with the area around Enys Head being the most productive single location. The fresh condition of most of the males and the lack of females (just 2 seen) indicated that it was still early in the emergence so I would expect numbers to build over the next week or so.

Most of the locations mentioned above also proved productive for other species too.

To be continued...

Neil
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Great report, Neil! Makes me want get down there :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
kevling

Post by kevling »

Neil, What a great way to start a Sunday by reading your diary. Fantastic photos of the SPBF. Some interesting variations in their markings too. The scenery is to die for. I think that place is now on my to do list.

Kind Regards
Kev
trevor

Post by trevor »

Congrats. for ' getting away ', Neil.

Those 2nd brood Small Pearls are magnificent, with images to match!.
Sometimes their markings are quite different to the Spring brood as in
your third and second to last images.

I'm looking forward to the appearance of those at my local site,
none were seen earlier in the week.

Have a great time, and stay well.
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Some beautiful scenery from one of the most picturesque parts of the British Isles, Neil. Looks like you had a great trip, especially with those second brood SPBFs, some of which are very nicely marked. :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Many thanks for your kind comments Pete, Kev, Trevor, and David. It is certainly one of my favourite parts of the country and it was great to be able to return again.

The Lizard – July 31st to August 7th Part 3.

There are two species that I often catch up with on our trips to Cornwall (or Dorset, or sometimes Cumbria), neither of which can be found in Warwickshire, although there are still colonies of both further afield around the midlands, especially in Shropshire and the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire.

The first of these is the Grayling which is a butterfly that I don't think has ever occurred in Warwickshire, certainly not in my lifetime anyway.

On the Lizard last week I found Graylings in two distinct locations. The first was near to Kynance Cove with a noticeable concentration on the higher part of the undercliff area to the south of the cove. I only managed a few ropey record shots here as they were difficult to get close to and kept flying off down the cliffs.
The other location was around Enys head between Poltesco and Cadgwith Cove where I saw a dozen or more each time I walked there from Kennack Sands. Whilst still difficult to approach, especially on the warmer afternoons, I had a bit more success here in getting some photos.
Grayling - Enys Head 01.08.2020
Grayling - Enys Head 01.08.2020
Grayling - Enys Head 03.08.2020
On a couple of occasions I saw females rejecting the advances of males by flicking their wings open but unfortunately I was on the wrong side to get a decent photo, those below of one instance on the Thursday afternoon being the best I managed.
Grayling pair - Enys Head 06.08.2020
Grayling pair - Enys Head 06.08.2020
Grayling - Enys Head 06.08.2020
Grayling - Enys Head 06.08.2020
The second species is the Wall, or Wall Brown as I still prefer to call it. I remember these being common around Solihull when I was a teenager in the 1970s but the last confirmed Warwickshire sighting was in 2007 so it is now considered extinct in the county.

The first Wall Brown I saw last week was on my short walk on the Saturday morning when I had only gone a few yards from the caravan park when I spotted a male on the path in front of me.
Wall Brown - Kennack Sands 01.08.2020
Wall Brown - Kennack Sands 01.08.2020
Further along I saw another male patrolling the path but I couldn't get close to this one as he kept flying off down the cliff

On the Monday morning (August 3rd) Jane and Sarah had decided that they wanted to go into Lizard village and then walk to Lizard Point as the path to the lighthouse is flat and separated from the road and farm fields by stone walls making it easy to walk and safe for the kids. So it was that we parked up on the green in Lizard village and started wandering down towards the lighthouse on what was turning into a beautiful and warm morning.
The stone walls that I mentioned have grass and wildflowers growing over them in many places and I soon saw loads of Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns plus whites of all three common species. I also spotted a number of Wall Brown and by the time we got down to the lighthouse I reckon I had counted 7 or maybe 8, mostly males that were actively chasing all the Gatekeepers about between returning to their basking spots.
Wall Brown - Lizard 03.08.2020
Later in the week, on my afternoon walks towards Enys Head, I saw quite a few more Wall Browns with the area around the head itself once again proving to be the most productive with more females appearing here.
Wall Brown - Enys Head 04.08.2020
Wall Brown - Enys Head 04.08.2020
The afternoon of the Thursday (August 6th) was cloudy after earlier mist and drizzle and I was surprised to see a number of Wall Browns flying in these quite dull conditions, although this did make them a bit easier to approach. Although it was dull and overcast, it was still warm and humid and I suppose this was a case of the air temperature being high enough for them to warm up despite the lack of sun.
Wall Brown - Enys Head 06.08.2020
I also saw individual Wall Browns during the week at random spots along the paths around Kennack Sands but either couldn't get close to them or only managed ropey record shots.

That's two reports from The Lizard and I have only covered three species, still a few to go.

To be continued...

Neil
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely shots of the Wall Brown Neil - and I totally disagree with you about the Grayling. I think they are some of the clearest open -winged shots I have seen. Would love to see what you could have managed if you'd been on the other side .......... :) . The scenery shots alone deserve a few of these :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary shots Neil - such variation :D And those open wing Graylings - I need to get me some shots like those :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looking forward to the next installment :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You may not be fully satisfied with the angle of those Grayling upperside images, Neil, but you've done a great job in capturing what looks to be a very fresh female in that pose.

Similarly, any Wall Browns that allow you several images have to be cherished. This is neither a common nor easy UK species. :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline. Oh!, you know how it is, we are our own harshest critics :wink:

Cheers Wurzel. Next installment coming up.

Thanks David. With those Graylings I couldn't help but wish I was a couple of feet further over but she flew off before I could move.

The Lizard – July 31st to August 7th Part 4.

This next report contains a number of species that I had already seen back home this year but seeing them down on The Lizard as well was no less of a pleasure for that.

The first butterfly that I saw down there was just a few minutes after our arrival on the Friday afternoon (July 31st) when I spotted a Red Admiral fluttering about outside the caravan as I was unpacking the car.
These proved to be one of the more numerous butterflies seen during the week with multiples seen everywhere we went. Some were really raggedy whereas some looked fresh out of the box and I reckon that they were a mixture of home grown and recent arrivals, indeed I spotted quite a few flying in off the sea on some days.
Red Admiral - Kennack Sands 02.08.2020
Red Admiral - Kennack Sands 02.08.2020
Red Admiral - Kennack Sands 03.08.2020
Red Admiral - Kennack Sands 03.08.2020
Red Admiral - Kennack Sands 06.08.2020
Red Admiral - Kennack Sands 06.08.2020
Red Admiral - Carleon Cove 06.08.2020
Red Admiral - Carleon Cove 06.08.2020
A fair number of those seen had the white spot in the red band that marks them out as ab. bialbata, although I must admit that I see this that often that I consider it a normal variation.
Red Admiral - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Red Admiral - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Red Admiral - Roskilly's Farm 05.08.2020
Red Admiral - Roskilly's Farm 05.08.2020
Anyone who read my PD this time last year may remember that I saw loads of Painted Ladies down here, particularly between Lizard Point and Kynance Cove where there were literally hundreds of them along parts of the path. There was nothing like that this year unfortunately, although I did see half a dozen or so during the week, mostly bombing about at high speed around the coast paths. I managed to get close to photograph two of them, one just to the west of Lizard Point on the Sunday morning...
Painted Lady - Lizard Point 02.08.2020
Painted Lady - Lizard Point 02.08.2020
...and one on Enys Head on the Thursday afternoon.
Painted Lady - Enys head 06.08.2020
Painted Lady - Enys head 06.08.2020
Small Tortoiseshells have had an amazing year back home and I also saw half a dozen last week, all nice and fresh looking.
Small Tortoiseshell - Kennack Sands 02.08.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Kennack Sands 02.08.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Enys Head 03.08.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Enys Head 03.08.2020
A couple of Peacocks put in an appearance at Carleon Cove but I didn't see any others anywhere else.
Peacock - Carleon Cove 03.08.2020
Peacock - Carleon Cove 03.08.2020
Carleon Cove also produced the only Comma that I saw during the week.
Comma - Caleon cove 01.08.2020
Comma - Caleon cove 01.08.2020
A few faded Dark Green Fritillaries were still hanging on. I am not sure when these first emerged in this part of the would, but considering that I was watching fresh ones in Warwickshire back in early June, they must have a long flight period down here. They popped up in ones and twos on most days at various spots between Kennack Sands and Enys Head and also between Lizard Point and Kynance Cove.
Dark Green Fritillary - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Dark Green Fritillary - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Dark Green Fritillary - Between Lizard Point and Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Dark Green Fritillary - Between Lizard Point and Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Dark Green Fritillary - Enys Head 03.08.2020
Dark Green Fritillary - Enys Head 03.08.2020
Still got a few more species to cover so I reckon one more report to finish off.

To be continued...

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm ashamed to say I've never been to the Lizard :oops: But your fantastic shots have made it a must see for me Neil, I've not seen a Painted Lady this season yet either so I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming next :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Great continuation, Neil. I must get myself down there some day. The scenery as well as the range of butterflies are exceptional. :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for your comments Goldie and David. It is a great part of the country and worth a visit at any time.

The Lizard – July 31st to August 7th Part 5.

This will be my last report from our week down on The Lizard and will wrap up the remaining species not already mentioned.

Common Blues were seen in fairly good numbers on most of my walks, in fact they seemed to increase in numbers as the week went on with more fresh looking examples joining those that I saw in the first couple of days.
Common Blue - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Common Blue - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Common Blue - Enys head 06.08.2020
Common Blue - Enys head 06.08.2020
I have noticed in previous visits down here that many of the females are predominantly brown with some particularly attractive individuals to be seen.
Common Blue female - Kennack Sands 01.08.2020
Common Blue female - Kennack Sands 01.08.2020
Common Blue female - Enys Head 06.08.2020
Common Blue female - Enys Head 06.08.2020
Common Blue female - Lizard Point 02.08.2020
Common Blue female - Lizard Point 02.08.2020
I was a bit surprised to only find one Small Copper all week, at Kynance Cove on the Sunday (2nd August) morning. In the past. Early September has proved to be the prime time for good numbers of Small Coppers here but I have always found a few at most spots here in early August too but they were noticeable by their absence this time.
Small Copper - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Small Copper - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
On the other hand, I have usually only seen one or two Small Skippers still flying at this time in previous years but last week there were good numbers about, particularly behind the beach at Kennack Sands and in a couple of spots between Lizard Point and Kynance Cove.
Small Skipper - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
Small Skipper - Kynance Cove 02.08.2020
A couple of well worn Large Skippers were also seen by Kynance Cove and Kennack Sands.

Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns were everywhere in good numbers with Meadow Browns being the most numerous at some spots and Gatekeepers at others. As expected at this stage of the season many of these were well past their best but fresh looking examples of both species could be found.
Meadow Brown male - Enys Head 01.08.2020
Meadow Brown male - Enys Head 01.08.2020
As is usual for me these days, I was on the lookout for female Meadow Browns showing more orange than usual and found a couple,

One at Kennack Sands...
Meadow Brown female - Kennack Sands 03.08.2020
Meadow Brown female - Kennack Sands 03.08.2020
...and one at Enys Head. I would have liked to get a better photo of this one without the shadow from a rock outcropping close by but she flew off and following anything on the steep grassy slope here was difficult with needing to keep your eyes on your footing as well as the butterfly.
Meadow Brown female - Enys head 03.08.2020
Meadow Brown female - Enys head 03.08.2020
All three common white species were seen with Large Whites easily the most numerous, being seen in good numbers everywhere.
Large White - Carleon Cove 03.08.2020
Large White - Carleon Cove 03.08.2020
Two Clouded Yellows were seen, the first on the caravan park at Kennack Sands when I watched one fly in off the sea and stop on a clump of knapweed for a brief refuel before setting off again.
Clouded Yellow - Kennack Sands 02.08.2020
Clouded Yellow - Kennack Sands 02.08.2020
The second one was bombing about at high speed on the grassy slope at Enys Head on Tuesday afternoon where I had no chance of following it even if it had stopped...which it didn't.

As well as all the butterflies, I also saw half a dozen Hummingbird Hawk Moths. These were all seen at various spots between Kennack Sands and Enys Head with the red valerian at Carleon Cove being a favoured spot with one seen there on the Saturday and two on the Tuesday.
Hummingbird Hawk Moth - Carleon Cove 01.08.2020
Hummingbird Hawk Moth - Carleon Cove 01.08.2020
Hummingbird Hawk Moth - Carleon Cove 03.08.2020
Hummingbird Hawk Moth - Carleon Cove 03.08.2020
As mentioned in my first report, I saw a total of 22 species, including a couple that I didn't photograph for one reason or another.

In no particular order these were;

Meadow Brown – Lots everywhere.
Gatekeeper – Lots everywhere.
Speckled Wood – one or two at most places.
Wall Brown – Good numbers, particularly on the path to Lizard Point and around Enys Head.
Grayling – Good numbers around Enys Head, Also a few near Kynance Cove.
Ringlet – A few worn ones seen at Kennack Sands.
Red Admiral – Good numbers seen everywhere.
Painted Lady – Half a dozen seen scattered about.
Small Tortoiseshell – Half a dozen seen between Kennack Sands and Enys Head.
Peacock – Two seen at Carleon Cove.
Comma – Just one seen at Carleon cove.
Dark Green Fritillary – Half a dozen faded ones seen scattered about.
SPBF - Good numbers between Kennack Sands and Enys Head . Also near Kynance Cove.
Large Skipper – A couple of worn ones seen at Kennack Sands and by Kynance Cove.
Small Skipper – Quite a few scattered about at most places.
Common Blue – Good numbers at most places.
Holly Blue – A couple seen at Kennack Sands.
Small Copper – Just one seen near Kynance Cove.
Large White – Loads everywhere.
Small White – Good numbers most places.
Green-veined White – A few appeared at most places.
Clouded Yellow – Two seen, at Kennack Sands and Enys Head.

So then, all in all a great week. Jane, Sarah and the kids all enjoyed it and I managed to squeeze in some good butterflying.

Bye for now and stay safe,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your camera has ' frozen ' that Hummingbird Hawkmoth beautifully.
Of course to get shots like that you have to get the subject in frame and focussed.
The way they dart around none of the above is easy!.

Great stuff, keep well.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A brilliant collection of shots Neil especially the Clouded Yellow and the Hummingbird Hawk :D 8) :mrgreen: It's interesting that there seem to be more and more of the 'extra orange' Meadow Browns as that was what they looked like in France when I was there two years ago and if I recall they're the continental race - is the increasing frequency of this variation a sign of climate change? :?

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Looks like you had an excellent break, Neil. Some lovely butterflies there, and, of course, one spectacular moth which you have captured superbly.

I guess Essex Skippers haven't made it that far west yet? :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”