Dorset - Large Tortoiseshell still around ?

Discussion forum for sightings.
sifenn

Dorset - Large Tortoiseshell still around ?

Post by sifenn »

I'm looking forward to a few days in Dorset this weekend and planning to visit Alners, Fontmell and Durlston. I wondered if anyone has seen the 'Portland' Large Tortoiseshells recently and whether it's worth adding in to my itinerary ? I was falling over them in N Greece in June 2019, but the prospect of a glimpse in UK is tantalising....
thanks
sifenn
Mark Tutton

Re: Dorset - Large Tortoiseshell still around ?

Post by Mark Tutton »

I haven’t seen any reports for a few days but they have also been seen at Durlston - at least two I think.
Worth keeping an eye on the Portland Bird Observatory and Durlston websites - good up to date information there.
https://www.durlston.co.uk/durlston-tod ... dee5c8f591
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
MrSp0ck

Re: Dorset - Large Tortoiseshell still around ?

Post by MrSp0ck »

Like all the peacocks that were around a couple of weeks ago, which have seem to have now gone into hibernation, i expect the Large Tortoiseshells to do the same after a feed up. Other Nympalid migrants have been reported as coming in, so these will feed up for a couple of weeks then do the same.

Return to “Sightings”