Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A visit to Oxenbourne at the end of the week left me feeling frustrated and disappointed. For more years than I care to recall I have been moaning about the lack of management of this site and the shrinking colony of SSS hanging on by a thread. About 3 years ago I contacted the appropriate authority who informed me that there was a 3 year plan to clear the site and gave me an outline of what that would involve, starting with some clearance by hand before bringing in some machinery. I am not sure when the 3 year plan is due to begin but there are places now that I used to stroll around that are totally inaccessible to people, let alone butterflies. Perhaps it was a little early for the SSS although in the last 4 years I have seen them between 20 - 27 July but I was unable to locate any. Strangely, when looking at SSS there are usually masses of Small Skippers egg-laying all over the site but today I could only find one:
P1060459ad.jpg
I spent a little time watching the Common Blues egg lay including a lovely blue female who produced this egg:
P1060457ad.jpg
Each year I wonder if I have perhaps seen the last of the SSS at this site :(
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Thank you for that ID Wurzel - much appreciated :)" No worries - luckily I've gotten shots of one before so I've had to identify it before otherwise I'd have not had a clue :wink:
Sorry to hear about the SSS site - it's gut wrenching when a site stops 'producing' though mis-management :( I fear the Small Pearls at Bentley Wood are going the same way :(

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Doesn't sound as though there's much enthusiasm for that SSS colony, Pauline, sadly. Is it worth contacting Butterfly Conservation HQ (or the relevant local branch)?
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:49 pm ...I reckon your moth is a Dusky Sallow...
Hi Pauline,

I reckon Wurzels right.
Celypha lacunana is a micro, much smaller.

A shame to hear about your site at Oxenbourne. Unfortunately we have some sites up here that are supposed to be managed by Warwickshire Wildlife Trust that are becoming overgrown and scrubbed up. Some of it may be down to covid 19 but a lack of management was evident before then.

Cheers,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you guys for your commiserations. I wasn't able to get out until mid afternoon by which time the skies were dark, a little drizzle but such fierce winds. The journey down the A3 wasn't helped by what looked like a serious accident between a car and motor cycle which was still being cleared up on my return. Still no sign of any SSS at Oxenbourne but given the weather a surprising number of other species were on the wing. I watched a lovely Meadow Brown lay a few eggs, reluctant to disturb her - but this is one of her eggs:
P1060489ad.jpg
I noticed a few very fresh female Chalkhills and if the weather had relented just a little I could have got some nice shots:
P1060519ad.jpg
P1060521ad.jpg
P1060534ad.jpg
Back home I discovered a larva in the garage on a mission to pupate. I have had these before but for the life of me I can't remember what moth it is. Don't tell me - I shall look this one up :)
P1060479ad.jpg
Lastly, a couple from yesterday's visit to Noar Hill:
P1060470ad.jpg
P1060476ad.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

You should thank your lucky stars you don't live near me, Pauline!

A weather forecast predicting sunny intervals all day turned out being frequent heavy showers and gale force winds. :(

The female Meadow Brown I saw flying round my patio must have had a death wish!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

David M wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:58 pm You should thank your lucky stars you don't live near me, Pauline!
Right back at you David :) . The weather here is foul today so I thought it was about time for one of my mini summaries. I have chosen the Duke rearing as the shots I have previously posted have been very fragmented so I thought I would pull it all together a little .... and add a few initial thoughts on what I have learned:
Duke of Burgundy eggs hatching.jpg
Duke of Burgundy 1st I nstar.jpg
Duke of Burgundy - 2nd Instar.jpg
Duke of Burgundy - 3rd Instar.jpg
Duke of Burgundy - 4th Instar.jpg
Duke of Burgundy Pupation.jpg
Duke of Burgundy - Behaviour.jpg

Rearing the Duke of Burgundy has been a fascinating and insightful experience. It has been a challenge recording every individual transition but I wanted to get a complete and detailed understanding of the lives of these insects.

1. Eating shed skin but only in first instar.

It would seem that this is the first time that this has ever been recorded. I photographed this occurrence several times to ensure that it wasn’t just a one-off.

2. Colour changes prior to shedding skin

I was initially alarmed at the dramatic colour changes of each instar as they prepared to shed their skin but they were very consistent in that the colour drained from them for 3 days prior to the event leaving them looking very pallid. The day before a remarkable colour change came about as they turned an almost jet black. At this point the shedding of skin would happen within hours.

3. Length of time for transition from one instar to the next

Given that this took between 3-4 days (mostly 4 days) I have to wonder if the colour change and transition time is linked. The larva is obviously very vulnerable during these 3-4 days lying quite torpid on the underside of a leaf or stem of the food plant. The first time I witnessed this I thought that the larva had died. It looked dead – black and shrivelled. Likewise, when white it looked very insipid. I believe that this may be a survival mechanism to avoid predation whilst spending such a long period of time in this state. Over the life cycle of an immature stage that accounts for approximately 16 days or about 25%.

4. Difference in development times of individuals in identical conditions

Even allowing for the difference in timings of when the eggs were laid it was clear from the beginning that even as early as 1st instar the development of some individuals was much faster than others despite being kept in identical conditions. This difference appeared to widen as development progressed through the instars and I am still waiting for the last larva to pupate (although that looks imminent). Like the transition from one instar to the next, the 4th instar settles down close to the plant for about 3 days before actually pupating.

5. Behavioural changes between early and late instars

a. Mobility

In 1st and 2nd instar the larva do not stray far, mostly staying on the same leaf as where they hatched from the egg. This is also apparent in the wild, these being the easiest instars to track for that very reason. It is easy to locate them in the wild as at this stage they pepper the leaf with little holes where they have fed. They also seem unconcerned by gentle interference and monitoring. Conversely, 3rd and 4th instar roam much wider and their increased appetites leave their leaf in a skeleton form in very few hours. This increase in food intake may explain their increased mobility.

b. Camouflage

Their inclination to roam is not the only factor which causes difficulty in tracking and monitoring. Like many insects they become masters of camouflage and the slightest interference causes them to fall to the ground, similar to many other species. For the first time ever this year I have been able to find 3rd and 4th instars in the wild and this is wholly as a result of the rearing experience.

Conclusion

These are my initial thoughts. It has been an educational experience rearing these Dukes over the last 10 weeks or so and one I won’t forget. At times it has been enjoyable but there have been times when it has been mind-numbingly boring, when hours, if not days, have been spent just watching and waiting for whatever was going to come next. It is a great relief that to date it has been successful and I am very much looking forward to the Spring when (fingers crossed) the Dukes can be returned to Noar Hill.
David M

Post by David M »

That's exceptionally interesting information, Pauline. Most of what you've penned is new to me, and I suspect some of it is new to everyone.

All embellished with a seductive series of mosaics that would do justice to any book. You have been admirably conscientious and resolute during this episode, and I pray that you will be able to see this through to a natural conclusion.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Fascinating stuff, Pauline. All that needs is the final chapter of the story - fingers crossed for a successful conclusion to this incredible tale. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A very generous comment David. You know how challenging it has been at times. Thank you.

Cheers Dave - I'm feeling quite positive having got to this stage but I hope I don't live to regret saying that!

I think my concerns about the Brown Hairstreak at Noar Hill may have been a bit premature. Today in a couple of hours I saw a minimum of 6 - may have been a few more. Given all the Blackthorn that has been cut down I thought I would try a little area that has been kind to me in the past. At one point there were 3 on the same branch but as I took the shot one flew up to join 2 fighting overhead:
P1060637ad.jpg
A few were very fresh but a couple had obviously been out a few days. I took a great many photos so I will just post a selection below:
P1060664ad.jpg
P1060649ad.jpg
P1060596ad.jpg
P1060625ad.jpg
P1060542ad.jpg
P1060553ad.jpg
P1060666ad.jpg
P1060575ad.jpg
P1060600ad.jpg
P1060662ad.jpg
I even managed to catch up with Dave's female Clouded Yellow which wasn't difficult as it was a little compromised by the rear wing. It still looked like it was egg-laying although I couldn't find any eggs. Definitely a different butterfly to the one I saw 2 days running:
P1060677ad.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cracking Brown Hairstreaks, Pauline. All males by the look of them.
Hopefully 2020 will be a great year for them, 2019 was terrible.

Well found!.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Brostreaks Pauline :D 8) No need for a trip to Shipton now then :wink: :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see, Pauline. I know you were concerned about their populations.

Nice reward for the less palatable things you've been doing lately.

Hopefully the females will put on a good show soon.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Definitely all males Trevor. I'm right there with you hoping for a good year. Pleased you like the pics :)

Cheers Wurzel - I do like Shipton just as a site (especially if the pub is open?) so you never know. I could be very tempted if you were to post more BH in your diary :)

It's years since I've been surrounded by them like that David so yes, I hope the females will put on a good show too but more importantly, do a good job of egg-laying. Hoping I might be equally delighted I visited Oxenbourne today for the SSS. In all honesty I didn't really expect to see any. My sightings in recent years have been in single figures. 3 volunteer rangers were on site counting butterflies so I took the opportunity to express my concerns and update them on the background. They have promised to email the head ranger and copy me in - apparently they, too, have been expressing the same concern for years. They couldn't find any SSS but after they had left I managed to locate 3 (2M, 1F). I really hope there is more to come:
P1060738ad.jpg
Chalkhill males still greatly outnumber the females. I 'rescued' this little lady who was still trying to dry her wings with 3 males competing for her. Hopefully she will be a bit less fragile when they return:
P1060726ad.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, back home now, :D Just love those BHS shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and you got a Clouded Yellow :D Just think if I move South, ( what a time we'll have ) you can educate me has well in how to find eggs etc :lol: Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see the Brown Hairstreaks have appeared at Noar Hill, Pauline - and in numbers too by the look of things. Also good to see them low down and accessible too. Some great shots there - hopefully the first of many more. I may have to come and have a look, as I've never had much luck with the species there in the past. :) Interesting that the rather identifiable Clouded Yellow is still there on her egg-laying mission - let's hope a good number work their way through to adulthood before the autumn.
:)
Cheers,

Dave
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you M. Pleased you had such a lovely time. I think a move down South sounds like a great idea :)

Cheers Dave - if you'd like some help searching do let me know. On the other hand, if you'd rather I wasn't there then choose Wed or Thurs as I have other commitments :wink: :lol:

A few random shots from recent visits to Noar Hill. First up, a 2nd brood Dingy Skipper flying alongside what I assume to be the earlier brood? Looks quite worn and tattered:
P1060723ad.jpg
P1060724ad.jpg
P1060706ad.jpg
Nearly stood on these 2 but thankfully they flew up onto this branch:
P1060744ad.jpg
and just a couple more.
P1060691ad.jpg
P1060742ad.jpg
The diversity and numbers of butterflies at Noar Hill is better than I have seen for many years. Mind you, the site is looking splendid and I have heard more than a couple of visitors complimenting the rangers on how stunning it looks - 'awesome', I think was the term used.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Dingy Skippers Pauline :D There seems to be a cracking second brood this year - not just the one or two you occasionally get :D Shipton was really good today at least 9 males and 1 female (Dave got a second female too) :D

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for the report on Shipton Wurzel - having just read Trevor's report it's good to know Shipton is doing OK.

Today is just way too hot to go out so a brief report on garden stuff. Today in the garden I have seen Large White, Small White, Brimstone (several), Gatekeeper (a handful) Meadow Brown (singleton) Red Admiral (permanent fixture I think; likes the pink table I painted earlier this year), Peacock, Holly Blue and a couple of Small Skippers including this one which was egg-laying in between seeking shade:
P1060765ad.jpg
P1060769ad.jpg
P1060767ad.jpg
Not a great shot but the breeze is remarkably strong - has just taken the canopy off my garden funiture!
P1060690ad.jpg
The Comma larva are growing fast and have just shed their skins:
P1060750ad.jpg
P1060754ad.jpg
P1060764ad.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I hate to say it, Pauline, but I don't think that's a Comma caterpillar. I've just had a look at the relevant bits of Pete's book (pp. 262/3) and it's not the same as the photos of any of the instars. I think it must be a moth, but I couldn't tell you which one! :) It will be interesting finding out of course.

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”